HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 5:11 PM

Sooo…

"We're not abandoning the Blatchford vision — we're just readjusting some of the medium-term things by keeping our eyes and our goals on the long-term vision of the land…"

Isn’t that the same as buying an electric car and having a diesel one delivered instead and the dealer saying “but I plan to replace it with an electric one in 2030”?

I also find it interesting that the electricity to be derived from wastewater will end up subsidizing Blatchford’s electrical consumption and not the ratepayers being billed for that water. Isn’t that effectively another ongoing subsidy from taxpayers resident elsewhere?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...sion-1.6653604

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 8:16 PM

^ Don't underestimate the ability of the city to screw up this development and have the taxpayers on the hook for their mess.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
^ Don't underestimate the ability of the city to screw up this development and have the taxpayers on the hook for their mess.
The ambition is there but not easy, practical, or potentially appropriate for the city to tackle given the scrutiny it faces from the city at large with it's budget. That could by why you start to see chinks in the armour.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 2:05 AM
Community Guy

Buh bye now , buh bye, and you buh bye.

Airboy on SRC (and here)
https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...25190/page-178

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 7:33 PM
Community Guy

There seems to finally be some momentum for this project and a few hints on social (esp. Linkedin) on some significant multi-family projects coming in 23/24.

Any word on NAIT expansion plans or the Hanger?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 5:22 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
There seems to finally be some momentum for this project and a few hints on social (esp. Linkedin) on some significant multi-family projects coming in 23/24.

Any word on NAIT expansion plans or the Hanger?
Haven't heard anything about Hangar 11 myself since it was designated a Muncipal Historic Resource last fall.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 5:53 PM

There is a lot going to be happening this year. No NAIT announcement yet But GoA funding could push it.

I heard the Hangar is a dead project.

Yes on the large Multi family projects. And Planning for Energy centre 2.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 6:16 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
There is a lot going to be happening this year. No NAIT announcement yet But GoA funding could push it.

I heard the Hangar is a dead project.

Yes on the large Multi family projects. And Planning for Energy centre 2.
Lots happening in terms of new NAIT buildings within their existing campus or within their expansion to the west?

Sucks to hear the proposed Hangar 11 plans are dead - hopefully something else comes about for that building.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 7:45 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Lots happening in terms of new NAIT buildings within their existing campus or within their expansion to the west?

Sucks to hear the proposed Hangar 11 plans are dead - hopefully something else comes about for that building.
Hangar 11 was quite ambitious...and risky imo. Rising rates for sure haven't helped the proforma either. More equity $$$$!!!!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 3:01 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 7:05 PM

I went to the website and saw the overall map, i forgot how single use it is for the most part. It's essentially a dense suburb. The commercial zone is all concentrated at the south, with pockets of 'potential for mixed used' spread elsewhere. For some reason I thought it was much more mixed use through the whole thing.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 7:31 PM
Community Guy

Originally it was.

Sadly, it was watered down and while it will be nice when built out, it won't be anything near the intent.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 5:37 PM
Community Guy

Blatchford named Best New Community in Canada by the Canadian Home Builders’ Association

A park in the new neighbourhood of Blatchford, Edmonton, Alberta. There are new row houses in the background.

February 17, 2023

The Canadian Home Builders’ Association (CHBA) awarded the City of Edmonton’s Blatchford community with top honours at the National Awards for Housing Excellence gala on February 16, 2023. Blatchford was selected as the winner in the Best New Community category, which recognizes excellence in performance by developer and home builder members who create attractive, exciting, innovative and environmentally responsible communities.

“We’re honoured to win this national award for the work we are doing to create this one-of-a-kind neighbourhood,” said Tom Lumsden, Blatchford’s Development Manager. “City Council’s vision for Blatchford prioritizes innovation and sustainability, so we’re not only creating a great community to live in or to visit, but we’re also building a place that will inspire a path towards a more resilient future.”

Blatchford’s award submission focused on the community’s unique design, including the custom design that prioritizes connected streets, vibrant public spaces, renewable energy and active modes of transportation. Finalists and winners were selected by a group of 150 industry experts.

Blatchford is a bold and transformational land development project that furthers multiple City of Edmonton strategies. It supports and advances the strategic direction of The City Plan including building a healthy city, creating vibrant urban places and transitioning to a low carbon future.

Blatchford was also recently announced as a finalist in the Best New Community category for the CHBA Edmonton Region’s 2023 Awards of Excellence in Housing. The Edmonton awards will be presented on March 18, 2023.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/blatchford
Community Photo Gallery
Canadian Home Builders’ Association National Awards for Housing Excellence

Media contact:
Mel Garcia
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-886-2822

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 5:43 PM

^ Wake me up when its occupied

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 9:32 PM

LRT completion in Blatchford area in 2025 should spur some growth

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 5:37 PM

Calgary's University District seems like what Blatchford wishes it was; or at least what I thought Blatchford would be. Hard to judge Blatchford given it's incredibly slow pace, but it seems much more in the direction of ending up like the middle of Terwillegar Towne than a proper walkable mixed-use neighbourhood.

Does anyone know when Calgary's University District was first planned/proposed? Blatchford was planned 14 years ago now, I am curious how their timelines match up.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 3:39 PM

Just seems so quiet around this whole thing. There are some townhouses slowly coming along but would expect something more with all the new people coming to Edmonton and summer fast approaching.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 7:41 PM

If I was moving in or building a new home, Blatchford would be one of the last areas I would want to be. Close to downtown is both a blessing and a curse, is it not right now? I would think there are those who have bought into the Blatchford concept and betting on its long term potential but not enough especially with how things are deteriorating DT and no sign of it getting better in either the short or long term.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 6:42 PM
Community Guy

Major Development Permit
Reference Id: Job No 430025543-002
Description: To continue to operate a Community Recreation Services Use, and to construct exterior (adding material cladding changes and new exterior stair) and interior alterations to the existing Blatchford air traffic control tower to be converted into a Look-Out Tower and observation deck. (Reference: Development Permit number 341605587-002)
Plan 1822441 Blk 4 Lot 1
Applicant: STANTEC, RASTISLAV
Create Date: 2022/04/13
Neighbourhood: BLATCHFORD AREA
Issue Date: 2022/06/06
Class Of Permit: Class A
Reference Id: Job No 473216902-002
Description: To operate a Special Event inside the Blatchford Control Tower building (maximum 7 sessions between June to October, 2023)
Plan 1822441 Blk 4 Lot 1
Applicant: CITY OF EDMONTON
Create Date: 2023/05/24

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 8:36 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Major Development Permit
Reference Id: Job No 430025543-002
Description: To continue to operate a Community Recreation Services Use, and to construct exterior (adding material cladding changes and new exterior stair) and interior alterations to the existing Blatchford air traffic control tower to be converted into a Look-Out Tower and observation deck. (Reference: Development Permit number 341605587-002)
Plan 1822441 Blk 4 Lot 1
Applicant: STANTEC, RASTISLAV
Create Date: 2022/04/13
Neighbourhood: BLATCHFORD AREA
Issue Date: 2022/06/06
Class Of Permit: Class A
Reference Id: Job No 473216902-002
Description: To operate a Special Event inside the Blatchford Control Tower building (maximum 7 sessions between June to October, 2023)
Plan 1822441 Blk 4 Lot 1
Applicant: CITY OF EDMONTON
Create Date: 2023/05/24
About time, the tower was open when the first Blatchford open house was hosted in 2018 and it was neat to walk up to the top for the view. It'll be quite an attraction once complete, but I wonder how it'll be managed (opening / closing / locking door, managing hours of operations, etc.).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton