HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 11:18 PM

(@michelleh373) on Instagram: “‪Happy Friday #Winnipeg!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 12:24 AM
BANNED

The potential of Graham....

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 6:47 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Yup.

Now, if only we get someone else to do something with the land that Fortress has, we'd have a lot more emphasis on making a mall out of Graham Mall.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 2:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Yup.

Now, if only we get someone else to do something with the land that Fortress has, we'd have a lot more emphasis on making a mall out of Graham Mall.
At least we don't have to fill a giant, gaping hole, like Regina does.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 4:11 PM

Someone had mentioned on SSP maybe a year+ ago that WPS was talking about putting some sort of addition on the front of the PSB tower... anyone know if this is still being considered?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 3:37 PM

From what I remember, the police don't like having the tower there at all for security reasons. It's still sitting empty I think. An addition seems unlikely to me. But would make sense as there's lots of room out front. They'd lose the drive lane there, but oh well.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 3:40 PM

^ Remind me again why they don't move civic departments there and sublet the space that's leased in places like Fort Garry Place?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 3:42 PM

You make too much sense Esquire.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 4:39 PM
BANNED

Fair amount of vacant space in 240 Graham. T'would be great to convert it to residential.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
The potential of Graham....
I hope it won't remain as just a potential, and that something would actually happen to have that potential realized.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalabaw View Post
I hope it won't remain as just a potential, and that something would actually happen to have that potential realized.
The Bay Building plays a big role IMO. If the group that came forward recently with plans to redevelop it can pull it off, that will have a huge impact.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 4:55 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
From what I remember, the police don't like having the tower there at all for security reasons. It's still sitting empty I think. An addition seems unlikely to me. But would make sense as there's lots of room out front. They'd lose the drive lane there, but oh well.
I don't put a whole lot of stock to the bolded.

The hold-up for getting that building developed is that it requires significant modernization, and has difficult floor plates.

There is/was conceptual plans to add out on the building towards Graham. I have seen them. I think that is what will happen. Hopefully anyways.

Cuz if the building ends up demo'd, the Police will grab the resulting empty lot to use for surface storage/parking or similar.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I don't put a whole lot of stock to the bolded.

The hold-up for getting that building developed is that it requires significant modernization, and has difficult floor plates.

There is/was conceptual plans to add out on the building towards Graham. I have seen them. I think that is what will happen. Hopefully anyways.

Cuz if the building ends up demo'd, the Police will grab the resulting empty lot to use for surface storage/parking or similar.
My partner works for WPS as a civilian and they definitely do have issues with the tower. Which is ridiculous, they think that they're the freaking Pentagon or something. And it's beyond me why they didn't raise the issue before spending $200 million of our money to move in there, but if there's anything WPS is good at it's spending taxpayer money.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
And it's beyond me why they didn't raise the issue before spending $200 million of our money to move in
I mean honestly!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 6:28 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
My partner works for WPS as a civilian and they definitely do have issues with the tower. Which is ridiculous, they think that they're the freaking Pentagon or something. And it's beyond me why they didn't raise the issue before spending $200 million of our money to move in there, but if there's anything WPS is good at it's spending taxpayer money.
What I meant from my comment was more that whether or not the WPS has an issue, it isn't going to stop that building from getting redeveloped.

And I agree, the WPS can go pound sand if they want to waste more taxpayer money.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 6:32 PM

Thanks for the info Drew.

There's no way that building should be demo'd unless it's falling down. Heck, someone ponied up 10's of millions for the Smith St. apartments. And from all accounts that building is shit.

The expansion must've been a low rise, annex type building?

(sorry off topic)

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 7:21 PM

I think it's clear the best way forward for everyone would be to relocated departments scattered all over the city/downtown into this building. Would save money by allowing city to get rid of some leases, allow better comms between departments, possibly bring more people downtown, and help WPS' security concerns by at least limiting tenants to City employees.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 7:26 PM

^ Who exactly are the cops so worried about in the first place? If there ends up being an insurance company, accounting firm or some random provincial government office setting up in the tower, what kinds of intelligence are infiltrators working for those firms realistically going to pick up from watching the cops next door? Would it be that hard to seal off the tower from the police complex?

I find it hard to believe that it is really as complex as the WPS is making it out to be.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 7:27 PM

If I'm not mistaken there's an asbestos remediation issue with that building that is going to run into the millions to address.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 7:30 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
If I'm not mistaken there's an asbestos remediation issue with that building that is going to run into the millions to address.
Likely. But that particular cost would be the same whether it gets demo'd or renovated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan