HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 11:12 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Not with a concrete building.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 1:00 PM
What could go wrong?

Next Page:

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 3:11 PM

This is going to make a pretty dramatic impact on the skyline when it really gets going...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 3:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
This is going to make a pretty dramatic impact on the skyline when it really gets going...
It should although the Superstore between 300 and 360 Main is anything but impressive!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
Yes!

The amount of development we've had in downtown Winnipeg has been fairly moderate compared to most Canadian cities of 350,000+, but what we have seen has made an impact. We are now at a point where several blocks have been filled in with development... with a few more projects over the next decade, and the oceans of surface parking will start disappearing.

Of course there will still be a lot of underutilized buildings left, but at least the gaps are being filled in. This project isn't going on a surface lot, but it's doing a lot to fill in a bit of a wasteland that has existed for 40 years.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman49 View Post
Sorry to disappoint, but those people are wrong.

A little birdie told me that there was a lot of things overlooked and not planned out for the tower, which is causing big delays for the steel contractor. June 1st is the date I heard.
Well, that sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Stuff happens on every single project and it is dealt with. Large projects always have more issues because of the scale. The stadium tough was a complete mess with inexperienced people.

Seems here the issue is with steel. So is that ray wan issue or a supplier/engineering issue? Architects define the spaces and make them look good and stuff. Engineers design the thing.
Well, I guess there are always a number a reasons... I don't buy the whole "things weren't planned right and caused problems for XYZ" argument... Sometimes yes, a few parties cause problems for one party, in this case steel, but on a project of this size that's just not believable.

Nobody should be surprised that surprises come up. Being prepared for the unexpected is crucial. You can't predict anything, but I wouldn't expect the architect, the steel contractor, the general, or any related parties to have it all airtight at all times. How you adjust is critical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
True North Square seemed to go up without any issues (as far as I can recall). I believe that would be considered a large scale development by Winnipeg standards anyway.

I think part of the problem with the stadium is that it was rushed. They made the mistake of tearing down the old stadium and needed to rush completion of the new one. It would have made sense to play one more season in the old stadium to ensure the new one was built right.
Oh TNS had their fair share of issues. I wouldn't say it's my or anyone's place to say them since they pulled it off in the end, but it wasn't free of its own struggles.

Someone made the point that maybe the stadium had a tighter budget than this project, but I doubt that. I've heard this project was budgeted and priced a billion times for over a year to get low enough in costs.

Stadium was super tight in budget but didn't have the luxury of working the budget that long. they had to build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Keep in mind that TNS was a cast-in-place concrete structure, and the contractor used their own forces to do the concrete work. Therefore an apples and oranges comparison to 300 Main.

Any "issues" (and there were many) at TNS would have been kept internal as there would be no subcontractors affected. Except maybe the rebar supplier, but they are used to making changes on the fly.
well, and in this case, I'd imagine that ironman49, is, well, with the steel contractor, based on that and previous posts.

Nothin wrong with that at all, it's awesome to have people from the project in the thread. I'd imagine there are other opinions from other parties but it's good to have someone from the project on here (I think there's a concrete guy on here too).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
It should although the Superstore between 300 and 360 Main is anything but impressive!
Lol so much green

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 5:46 PM

I noticed from the street at night that it looks like the second and third floors of 360 Main are being completely gutted. Wondering if these maybe are being reconfigured and integrated into 330 in some way?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I noticed from the street at night that it looks like the second and third floors of 360 Main are being completely gutted. Wondering if these maybe are being reconfigured and integrated into 330 in some way?
Damn, I never imagined this but damn, now I really hope so!

That would be super clever.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm....could this be why the height of the construction between 300 and 360 Main was reduced from it's original concept? Could they be using that second/third floor space to provide the footage "lost" from the height of 330 main?

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 4:58 PM

It's interesting that they are installing styrofoam insulation ON TOP of the previously laid asphalt roll shingles. And then putting a rubber coating on top. It's an upside down roof!

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 5:02 PM

Would be cool if that was a green roof with prairie grasses and flowers or something along those lines.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 5:38 PM

One thing this shot shows is city finally coordinated all of its decorative lighting along Main St. over the winter! it's all in the small details

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 5:57 PM

From Main you can see where the footprint of the GoodLife will likely be now, as they're building interior walls. Looks like there will be a huge common lobby spanning the entire driveway/Main Street side between 300 and 360. Likely where new escalators are going. Looks large enough there may be some other main floor retail space there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
One thing this shot shows is city finally coordinated all of its decorative lighting along Main St. over the winter! it's all in the small details
Hard to notice an impact when the street lights are unpainted steel, ruining the effect of the black decorative lights. Oh don't forget all the left over brown and green ones that won't be replaced until they fall over.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 6:28 PM

I think it's quite silly having fancy lights with big ole cobras overhead. Seems redundant and expensive. Likely why the decorative lights decline after a few years of disrepair.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 12:20 AM

I've heard the main floor finishings of 300 Main won't end up looking like the renders. Sounds like as part of the deal to get Earls in there, they had more say in what the exterior looks like – don't think the pergolas will be there, at least not in the way they're shown.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 1:11 AM

Quote:
I've heard the main floor finishings of 300 Main won't end up looking like the renders. Sounds like as part of the deal to get Earls in there, they had more say in what the exterior looks like – don't think the pergolas will be there, at least not in the way they're shown.
So looks like we're in for a surprise then. Hopefully a pleasant one!

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Good! They looked a wee bit tacky from the start.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Good! They looked a wee bit tacky from the start.
Pergolas will still be there - will look like this.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 3:28 PM

^^ I kind of like the pergolas.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 3:41 PM

If they built the corner like that I'd be happy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan