HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 3:06 PM

Any update, news about the proposed?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 7:41 AM

Any more updates regarding the construction timeline? I have faith in this project unlike Skycity but I hope it doesn't end up too delayed.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 3:44 PM
BANNED

Q1 2018.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 4:31 PM

For most of the last week they had the tailor shop closed down so they could install large ventilation ducts over it, and not drop anything on the staff or customers.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
Any more updates regarding the construction timeline? I have faith in this project unlike Skycity but I hope it doesn't end up too delayed.
It's not delayed at all, they've been doing a ton of work inside for months already.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
From P&M thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
At 4:38pm cjob had Frank Sherlock from Artis REIT on, regarding the new tower they dont have a firm date yet still finalizing design and pricing, food court area mechanical completed, next phase is structural work below grade that no one will see, spring 2018 is likely a staring date.

for anyone who wants to listen October 13th:

http://store.corusradio.com/audio-va...tyleoff=95a5a6

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's not delayed at all, they've been doing a ton of work inside for months already.
While they definitely started work underground a while ago, it's certainly delayed now. Fortunately the consistent commitment to underground, mechanical, and soon structural work indicates strongly that this is happening... just not completely ironed out.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 4:28 PM

They might be behind, but they're still working so it's not like they just stopped and are waiting.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 12:42 AM

I think its reasonable to expect this development to go through, so no need to worry about this one

Artis wouldn't make a big announcement earlier this year and then not follow through

They're just behind schedule for whatever reason, and this will be a stand out project for the city once it starts.

I can wait - not every year we get a new tallest in Winnipeg. Will be a joy to see this one go up, and since the foundation is already there, it will be over before we even know it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 6:52 AM

Hopefully they use PCL... it anecdotally seems like their projects seem to go much quicker and smoother than anyone else, and that there traffic management and general organization is leaps and bounds ahead. TNS is going up real fast, site is always buzzing. Pembina underpass project I'm floored how well it's moving along and that even though yes there are bad delays at times, they've done a pretty good job in that department. This is coming from someone that knows very little about the construction industry, but their projects always seem so polished.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:58 PM

Not to raise alarm bells, but the Pembina thing is actually behind schedule a bit. They should be able to recover over the next two years though.

Did anyone noticed the failed shoring wall on the west side of the underpass that is propped up by beams? Been there for a number of months now. The wall actually failed and was only stopped from completely falling over by the caissons tubes that are partially installed.

I'm just full of good news this morning. Or is it piss and vinegar? Nope, just coffee...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:07 PM

Interesting. It seems to me to be moving way faster than anything else ever does here. There's been a big hole on Bannatyne that they just put a barricade over for 2 months.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Hopefully they use PCL... it anecdotally seems like their projects seem to go much quicker and smoother than anyone else, and that there traffic management and general organization is leaps and bounds ahead. TNS is going up real fast, site is always buzzing. Pembina underpass project I'm floored how well it's moving along and that even though yes there are bad delays at times, they've done a pretty good job in that department. This is coming from someone that knows very little about the construction industry, but their projects always seem so polished.
PCL is good at what they do, but the speed at which it's progressing is because, to my knowledge, it's a heavily staged set of drawings... ie draw a portion, build, draw another portion, build, essentially progressing drawings and construction simultaneously.

Artis decided against (and most do) using such a process, and such a process is definitely not without its risks.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:49 PM

That's the nature of design-build projects. Get a general concept down then refine as you're building. Transitway project is heavy with this approach.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 4:15 PM

All these good words about PCL. Nobody here must have to work with them.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
my friend that used to work for them did refer to the company as People Come Last lol

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Amen

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That's the nature of design-build projects. Get a general concept down then refine as you're building. Transitway project is heavy with this approach.
I never thought a benefit of design-build is that construction work commences before the final design is detailed - I think that is pretty risky way to undertake a project. As for phased projects, like the transitway, that is indeed the nature, but more to do with the actual phasing than the type of contractual arrangements.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
my friend that used to work for them did refer to the company as People Come Last lol
My brother worked for them in the past, then worked for several other contractors and recently went back to them. I suppose it depends what division of the company you're talking about, but his experience doesn't match your moniker. It's not that he's treated royally, but certainly better than many others.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 2:10 PM

It's one thing working for them, it's another to be a sub for them. Nobody wants to work as a sub for those guys anymore. It's all the companies scrounging for work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan