HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 4:53 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperpaz View Post
Does anyone have any info on the two buildings going up on the corner of Argonne and Harrison in Lakeview (not the school)? The one on the northwest corner is pretty much done and looks like a restaurant and the one on the southwest corner only has the frame up.
Not sure of whats being built on the south side but the former drive thru bank is becoming a new bar/restaurant from the Bulldog people.

http://thevelvetcactus.com/

Looks like it opens late May!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 10:00 PM

Bart Park LLC has bought the entire block of O'Keefe and S. Rampart right off Poydras. This block will be right next to Soma footprint. Any ideas on what that could be?

http://www.nola.com/homegarden/reale...l=1&thispage=2

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 10:34 PM
Ready for blastoff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
Bart Park LLC has bought the entire block of O'Keefe and S. Rampart right off Poydras. This block will be right next to Soma footprint. Any ideas on what that could be?

http://www.nola.com/homegarden/reale...l=1&thispage=2
Considering their name (Bart Park LLC) and the fact that the entire block that they purchased is currently a parking lot, my best guess is that it's going to continue as a pay-to-park operation just under new ownership and/or management. I hope I'm wrong though.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 10:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIREINTHEHOLE! View Post
Considering their name (Bart Park LLC) and the fact that the entire block that they purchased is currently a parking lot, my best guess is that it's going to continue as a pay-to-park operation just under new ownership and/or management. I hope I'm wrong though.
Thats likely but Im sure if SOMA happens this block will be developed rather quickly thereafter

Link for a new building being built on the corner of Magazine and Race Street. Currently an empty lot!

http://cityofno.granicus.com/MetaVie...meta_id=109462

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 24, 2011 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I support taking the overpass down but am glad that they are going to take their time and do it right. It will be a pretty massive undertaking not to mention streetcar construction on Loyola and probably Rampart by then as well as the two large hospitals. It will need to be carefully planned.

Royal Orleans Hotel ( Renovations)
Dodge Report #200800666459 v. 8

Valuation: $2,999,999
Bid Date: May 3, 2011

Streetcar Expansion Program
201000629907 v. 2
Dodge Project Report
Passenger Terminal (Other),
Railroad Bidding $2,999,999 LA (Orleans) May 23, 2011
Not to mention the pricetag for such an undertaking will likely exceed $1 billion dollars.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 3:18 AM
TL;DR

I don't see what would account for the cost. First, you'd have to add a lane in each direction on 610, which isn't too difficult because it has a full block's worth of expansion room at nearly all points. That includes rebuilding each interchange. This job might be difficult because 610 is on a concrete viaduct, not on an embankment. Let's say... $400 million for this.

Then you tear down 10 between the Pontchartrain Expressway and Elysian Fields, rebuilding a 6-lane Claiborne in its place. Let's say... $150 million for this, including streetscaping and landscaping of the neutral ground.

It's still expensive, but as a result, we gain a beautiful landscaped boulevard running through downtown that is a new gateway to the city. Plus, we remove a barrier that keeps development away and encourages crime and loitering. $650 million sounds like a good deal to me.

As a side note - I think the Claiborne Boulevard would be much more successful if they pursue a progressive modern design, maybe with a few landmark structures, and bike lanes or a median bike path. If they rebuild St. Bernard Circle, they can put a large sculpture in the center... they can use unique streetlights, build real parks in the neutral ground instead of just grass and bushes, etc. If they nickel-and-dime the project down so it's just a wide street with a grassy neutral ground, then it will look like Vets in Metairie.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 5:30 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Most Livable View Post
Not to mention the pricetag for such an undertaking will likely exceed $1 billion dollars.
Actually one of the pluses of taking it down is it will actually be cheaper... the current span is reaching its projected lifespan.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Actually one of the pluses of taking it down is it will actually be cheaper... the current span is reaching its projected lifespan.
Correct. According to the T-P's original story about taking down the overpass, it was estimated to cost $30 million to demolish, but $100 to repair, and an unknown figure to completely rebuild it. That doesn't take into account the money needed to upgrade I-610.

Last edited by Blitzen; Apr 25, 2011 at 6:15 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 3:46 PM
-

So yeah the money issue is at least a wash between the two options. So its ideal to study and decide on whats best.

Read the city business article on the Audubon Hotel in the print edition. It says that the hotels bartender will also serve as the hotels concierge. Thats clever!

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 25, 2011 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 7:11 PM

Quote:
So yeah the money issue is at least a wash between the two options. So its ideal to study and decide on whats best.
Not only do you have to entirely replace 1/3 of the I-610, but you have to rebuild two freeway to freeway interchanges. You're probably also going to have add capacity to the I-10 between 17th St Canal and the Dome unless you want a crap load of container trucks up and down Claiborne in the morning and afternoon.

I personally would rather them just rebuild it. It could very possibly be cheaper in the end.

Last edited by Uptowner; Apr 25, 2011 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 9:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Not only do you have to entirely replace 1/3 of the I-610, but you have to rebuild two freeway to freeway interchanges. You're probably also going to have add capacity to the I-10 between 17th St Canal and the Dome unless you want a crap load of container trucks up and down Claiborne in the morning and afternoon.

I personally would rather them just rebuild it. It could very possibly be cheaper in the end.
Im just quoting the sources on the matter. Do you have a degree in traffic planning?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post

I would personally rather them take it down and restore the blvd but a price tag of nearly $1 billion dollars is going be much larger than the cost to rebuild it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 11:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Most Livable View Post
I would personally rather them take it down and restore the blvd but a price tag of nearly $1 billion dollars is going be much larger than the cost to rebuild it.
Where are you guys getting this 1 billion dollar figure from? No one has enough information to know the total cost of either scheme other than the preliminary thoughts that it would end up being about equal. Unless you have a degree in Civil engineering or stayed at a Holiday Inn last night Im not sure any of us can guesstimate on our own the likely cost.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Where are you guys getting this 1 billion dollar figure from? No one has enough information to know the total cost of either scheme other than the preliminary thoughts that it would end up being about equal. Unless you have a degree in Civil engineering or stayed at a Holiday Inn last night Im not sure any of us can guesstimate on our own the likely cost.
I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting it from a couple of engineers who have done similar work elsewhere and have recent experience in the region so they have a current idea of costs associated with projects of this size.

Take it or leave but that's going to be in the ballpark of what will be discussed once they get there.

This project is far more than simply demoing a structure and widening & paving a boulevard.

Solving the movements that will replace the flyovers of the major intersections will be a big challenge financially because of how much you'll have to rework the intersections.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 1:17 AM

A billion dollars is a lot of money I have a hard time believing that demolition of a little over a mile of elevated roadway and reworking of intersections would cost so much. I have heard in local media that rehabilitation of the expressway would cost more than a tear down.

I also think a fact that is commonly overlooked that if the expressway was taken down. You would see a lot of traffic that is just blowing through town would shift to I-12. And i dont think that is a bad thing. If they aren't even gonna stop for gas, what is the loss?

Sidenote:
I really like this forum and think they we have some of the best conversation about issues relating to our special city. But I have to please request that while everyones .02 cents are welcome. Your .005 are not. Please try and keep one line comments, funny remarks, and general joshin' to a minimum. This isn't in regards to anyone in particular, but since we are a thread and not a chat room with many threads some discretion is advised. It is annoying to have to read through cute remarks to get to the meat of issues and new developments. Also, all you home gamers on the sidelines please join the fun, registration seems to take 24-48 hours but I'd imagine you have been creeping for longer.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
A billion dollars is a lot of money I have a hard time believing that demolition of a little over a mile of elevated roadway and reworking of intersections would cost so much. I have heard in local media that rehabilitation of the expressway would cost more than a tear down.

I also think a fact that is commonly overlooked that if the expressway was taken down. You would see a lot of traffic that is just blowing through town would shift to I-12. And i dont think that is a bad thing. If they aren't even gonna stop for gas, what is the loss?

Sidenote:
I really like this forum and think they we have some of the best conversation about issues relating to our special city. But I have to please request that while everyones .02 cents are welcome. Your .005 are not. Please try and keep one line comments, funny remarks, and general joshin' to a minimum. This isn't in regards to anyone in particular, but since we are a thread and not a chat room with many threads some discretion is advised. It is annoying to have to read through cute remarks to get to the meat of issues and new developments. Also, all you home gamers on the sidelines please join the fun, registration seems to take 24-48 hours but I'd imagine you have been creeping for longer.
second that

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 2:59 AM

I think the actual act of tearing down the elevated expressway would be cheaper but what about landscaping and such that would need to happen on Claiborne after it's taken down?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Im just quoting the sources on the matter. Do you have a degree in traffic planning?
C.E. in the flesh.

--------------------------------

Here's the catch. It's cheaper to tear the interstate down alone vs rebuilding. What they're not saying is that the figure given for the tear down cost does not include any improvements needed for infrastructure upgrades after it's torn down.

Most of the information that has been released has been from those in favor of the tear down or those in favor of the LSU project. Not saying that they aren't out there, but all of the drafts, suggestions, and plans that I've seen have either been biased, incomplete, or highly unfeasible.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 3:30 AM

Quote:
C.E. in the flesh.

--------------------------------

Here's the catch. It's cheaper to tear the interstate down alone vs rebuilding. What they're not saying is that the figure given for the tear down cost does not include any improvements needed to infrastructure after it's torn down.

Most of the information that has been released has been from those in favor of the tear down or those in favor of the LSU project. Not saying that they aren't out there, but all of the drafts, suggestions, and plans that I've seen have either been biased, incomplete, or highly unfeasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon
Nah, I don't think so. Any traffic that comes south of I-12 is going specifically to New Orleans or points south. Traffic on that specific stretch is traffic from Uptown, the Westbank, and the CBD headed to points north of Elysian Fields and vice versa. As a matter of fact traffic in that area averages 110,000 cars a day as of 2010. Thats 40,000 more cars a day than recorded in 2008. The Pontchatrain expressway portion of I-10 peaks at 120,000 cars a day, with I-610 reaching 70,000. That's a lot of traffic to displace with the current level of infrastructure. People act like this is just so simple, but it's not and like I've always said: If a tree lined neutral ground is the cure for blight, what's wrong with the other 70% of town?

If there was a way to do this and make it work like they say that it will work, I would be all for it. As of right now, it's a pipe dream without some serious investment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

And a billion dollars when it's all said in done is very possible.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 3:58 AM

Regarding Claiborne overpass:

The fact is, the future of our city requires a healthy central core. Without a healthy core city stretching from St. Claude Avenue to the JP line, we wont reach our potential.

This is because of mother nature. City is sinking. Seas are rising. It's a losing argument if you say that below sealevel neighborhoods (Gentilly, NO East, Lakeview) should be saved, if they are hanging off the edge of a dying decrepit, slum-ridden above sea-level city. BUT if those below-sea level neighborhoods are hanging off the edge of a vibrant, historic, fully functional core, then the argument for STRONG investment in the ENTIRE city becomes much greater. Claiborne Avenue is essential to the future of New Orleans because it is on high(ish) ground, it has potential for economic development, and it has a great historic past.

We have no choice but to tear the overpass down, once you look at it. This city is no longer in existence for the convenience of Slidell, Belle Chase, etc. That period of history (1960-2005) is over.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations