HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 4:45 AM

Re: Magnolia Market comments
What's wrong with Tchoupitoulas Wal-Mart? I go there for stuff; it's an ok place to go. Seems safe. As for Louisiana and Claiborne, there's a great Korean restaurant right across the street. It feels safer than it used to around there. It's a terrible thing to have such an untouchable intersection at such a high-profile spot, so close to better-off neighborhoods in every direction It's GREAT that this shopping center is going to help flip this neighborhood into something better. And yes, damn it, I've lived near there my whole life, and a downscale Veterans between Louisiana and MLK would be better than Hit n Run liquor, Jazz Daiquiris, Rally's, and vacant lots. We do need the retail in the city, and that's the obvious place to fit that stuff in. I stand by what I said. I'm happy to see your plans for Claiborne Ave. renewal that's any better than a shopping center with a Target and two affordable clothing stores! (patiently waiting)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 4:49 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNT View Post
We don't want something like Vets, but we do want their businesses. New Orleans is a big city (with a lot of vacant commercial property); it should have the national retailers that people expect. It doesn't make sense for people to drive out of the city into the suburbs and give Jefferson Parish our tax dollars.
Bingo! I would never be in favor of bulldozing neighborhoods for that type of development but thats not the case here. These stores are needed too. Will create tax revenue and jobs to the city and probably these jobs will mainly be for the nearby residents. This neighborhood is one of the worst in the city so the effect will be profound!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 2:27 PM

HTML Code:
What's wrong with Tchoupitoulas Wal-Mart?
It is probably the most famous Wal-Mart in America. Between the NOPD shopping spree there post-katrina, to the "Wally World" bounce video- that walmart has done us more PR disservice than its tax dollars have provided, and it will only get worse as the new wears off the redone projects there and the mixed income residents move out.

I also don't like how they had to rezone the residential block at the back and are ignoring the pedestrian focused zoning in place there to build a suburban style development. We are spending millions to make Claiborne more safe for pedestrians in that strech, but are now encouraging car based development.

And that poor church surrounded by all sides...can't wait to see them carry out a casket into the traffic of those trying to park in the garage for the tj maxx.

Oh yes this is progress!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
HTML Code:
What's wrong with Tchoupitoulas Wal-Mart?
It is probably the most famous Wal-Mart in America. Between the NOPD shopping spree there post-katrina, to the "Wally World" bounce video- that walmart has done us more PR disservice than its tax dollars have provided, and it will only get worse as the new wears off the redone projects there and the mixed income residents move out.

I also don't like how they had to rezone the residential block at the back and are ignoring the pedestrian focused zoning in place there to build a suburban style development. We are spending millions to make Claiborne more safe for pedestrians in that strech, but are now encouraging car based development.

And that poor church surrounded by all sides...can't wait to see them carry out a casket into the traffic of those trying to park in the garage for the tj maxx.

Oh yes this is progress!

I was in the tchoup wal-mart 2 days ago and marveled at how nice it was and how friendly the workers are. The wal-mart by my house is usually more of a "zoo" in that it is SO crowded it's over-whelming. But that's most wal-marts everywhere. The tchoup wal-mart is just NOT like that. Maybe if you're used to going to suburban stores and are a racist. I can't stand how people think that retail shouldn't be in perceived ghetto areas. EVERYONE needs groceries/retail.

Also, you do know that the mr. ghetto video was only partially filmed at tchoupitoulas. Security is too high at the thcoup location so they filmed the inside parts in Harahan! How's that for your negative perceptions. Even so, the video doesn't do anything to disservice new orleans.

God forbid we provide retail to places that WesternSon finds too dangerous. GIMME A BREAK!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 3:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I was in the tchoup wal-mart 2 days ago and marveled at how nice it was and how friendly the workers are. The wal-mart by my house is usually more of a "zoo" in that it is SO crowded it's over-whelming. But that's most wal-marts everywhere. The tchoup wal-mart is just NOT like that. Maybe if you're used to going to suburban stores and are a racist. I can't stand how people think that retail shouldn't be in perceived ghetto areas. EVERYONE needs groceries/retail.

Also, you do know that the mr. ghetto video was only partially filmed at tchoupitoulas. Security is too high at the thcoup location so they filmed the inside parts in Harahan! How's that for your negative perceptions. Even so, the video doesn't do anything to disservice new orleans.

God forbid we provide retail to places that WesternSon finds too dangerous. GIMME A BREAK!
I actually hate that I know this but you are right .Exterior shots were shot at tchoupitoulas inside shots were done in wal marts on the wank! lol Anyway, back on topic! This development is an all around positive!

Changing subject does anyone know more about that sushi/dance club opening in the quarter I posted about earlier?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 7:56 PM

Haven't heard anything about a sushi/dance place. But I probably wouldn't seeing as it is oriental food and I am a racist. Link?

BTW someone needs to go take some pics. There has been a lot activity lately that hasn't been documented.

-Hotel Indigo
-WWII Mueseum Expansion
-American Paint Co. Apartments behind the tchoup walmart
-Drury Hotel Expansion
-The Gem Saloon (? on Poydras)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 9:15 PM

How about getting rid of the DeSaix Circle monstrosity at St. Bernard and Gentilly Blvd. and putting in a real traffic circle? I drive by there to get to my parents' new place, and that must be the worst-designed intersection in the history of mankind.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAandMagazine View Post
How about getting rid of the DeSaix Circle monstrosity at St. Bernard and Gentilly Blvd. and putting in a real traffic circle? I drive by there to get to my parents' new place, and that must be the worst-designed intersection in the history of mankind.
It's only difficult to navigate for those who are unfamiliar with the intersection, I really have no issue getting through and around there. But I do agree that a traffic circle would be nice change, especially from an aesthetic standpoint.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
It's only difficult to navigate for those who are unfamiliar with the intersection, I really have no issue getting through and around there. But I do agree that a traffic circle would be nice change, especially from an aesthetic standpoint.
I did mostly mean aesthetics. The thing must've been designed by a disciple of M.C. Escher. It has 7 or 8 different slivers of neutral ground. Evil genius at work I suppose; somehow cars aren't constantly having head-on collisions. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised all the other cities with traffic circles around the world didn't see this and decide to use this model instead!!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAandMagazine View Post
Once upon a time...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLADevelopmentFan View Post
GNORealEstateNews.com reports that Indulge Island Grill opens this week on 845 Carondelet Street.

The photos on facebook are mostly of the pool being lit in different colors , is it supposed to be a CBD version of The Country Club?
Their website is here:
http://www.indulgeislandgrill.com/

Looks like it's food and fitness.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
BTW someone needs to go take some pics. There has been a lot activity lately that hasn't been documented.

-Hotel Indigo
-WWII Mueseum Expansion
-American Paint Co. Apartments behind the tchoup walmart
-Drury Hotel Expansion
-The Gem Saloon (? on Poydras)
Also, wasn't the South Market District supposed to break ground before the end of the year? Is that not happening anymore?

Wasn't the old Jung/Radisson/Clarion Hotel supposed to be renovated in time for the Super Bowl? That quietly died.

Any peep about 1031 Canal Street? More delays?

Is the Riverfront Park open to the public yet? Wasn't the opening supposed to be months ago? Update?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
Once upon a time...
Thank you for showing that! What were they thinking to change it?? I feel like half of what we're doing now is undoing all the stupid things that were done in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. (housing projects, elevated expressways, bulldozing huge swaths of downtown, etc). I hope OUR kids don't think the way they did back then and undo all the stuff WE do! There's a conundrum for you.

Re: Magnolia Market. Any chance this thing doesn't get approved? Seems like most of the criticisms are short-sighted and/or ill-informed. I wonder what the immediate neighborhood thinks. I'd imagine they'd be very excited for the most part.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Also, wasn't the South Market District supposed to break ground before the end of the year? Is that not happening anymore?

Wasn't the old Jung/Radisson/Clarion Hotel supposed to be renovated in time for the Super Bowl? That quietly died.

Any peep about 1031 Canal Street? More delays?

Is the Riverfront Park open to the public yet? Wasn't the opening supposed to be months ago? Update?
I always felt that there was no way South Market would break ground until after the Super Bowl because I am sure they are going to make some serious $$$ for renting out those parking lots to various companies.

I passed the Riverfront Park on a boat last week, and it looks like construction has completely stopped. Complete disaster if you ask me. Only thing that they accomplished (from what I could tell) was building the pedestrian bridge over the tracks.

Anyone have an update on the new Tracage? I remember the design going in front of some city agency a couple months back.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ hear hear

However, it's not like NOPD is some shining beacon of justice that's being strangled by a cheap mayor. There are quite a few bad cops that ruin the effectiveness of the department.
Well, I don't think that anybody can dispute that bad cops, along with bad supervision and management have been a problem for NOPD. I think that any reasonable person would have to conclude that for the NOPD to be a model agency they need reform (which is happening now with the Consent Decree under the USDOJ), but to go along with that reform they need to be properly funded, equipped and staffed. Cutting their budget by 200-300 officers and not buying police cars for 3 years is a bad decision and is going to cause problems for ANY police department, good or bad, so while it is not the sole problem it sure seems counter productive to lowering the crime rate and/or providing good service to residents and visitors. I would not go so far as to say they are "Being strangled by a cheap mayor" but he is not exactly "putting his money where his mouth is" in terms of the crime issue. If anything he seems to ignore and be dismissive of many community, civic, and business groups that are continually demanding a greater police presence to help stem our crime rate. While there are many solutions to lowering our crime rate and making the city safer I dont think (in the short term) less officers on the streets is one of the solutions. If anything we probably need more officers on the streets until we find some effective non enforcement stratagies lower the crime rate. Once we have less of a problem I would be receptive to a leaner police force, as it stands "More with less" is not an acceptable way to deal with our crime issue. I also understand that it might be best to base the number of officers needed to properly serve the city less on our population numbers and more on the fact that on any given week or weekend (due to conventions/special events/festivals) our population is 50k-300k greater than the cenceus figures indicate. Just going on what Serpas has stated publicly on several occasions, all the statistical data indicates that to properly function and handle the volume of events the city experiences they need right at 1,600 police officers (I think the actual number was 1575).

Additionally, one of the reasons that the reforms instituted under Richard Pennington never stuck was that many of the tools to keep them in place were de-funded and as such fell by the wayside. When it comes to these things our former and current mayor(s) are famous for (as a friend of mine says) "Paying Toyota money for a used Ford, budgeting nothing for maintaince, then becoming suprised and upset when it does not win races like a Ferrari"

Bottom line is that I'm all for reform, transparency, and accountability (god knows they need it).......but holding them accountable without a number of the resources needed to be successful is just setting up failure all over again.

Last edited by Urban Legend; Dec 13, 2012 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 7:07 PM

Civic Theater Video

Not a huge development project but a great addition to the CBD nonetheless -
Nola.com has a very nice video about the renovations and they say they'll be finished by the end of the year!
http://videos.nola.com/times-picayun..._river_default

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 8:56 PM
-

Magnolia Market got approved this week. As for the riverfront park ,I dont have a clue what is going on with that at all. Seems to have fallen off the radar. Perhaps someone could put a call into Landis Construction. South Market will break ground but not til after the Superbowl. As far as 1031, they werent supposed to break ground until second half of year. Its apartments so presales arent really going to be a part of the timeframe just financing. BTW guys its important to remember to that even once you get approval for something to be built, engineering drawing can take up to 6 months. Jung Hotel is part of the Iberville redo and that hasnt started yet so no idea on that timeframe!

Off topic but for anyone that wants to see New Orleans from the air there is a great groupon available for one more day. $125 for a 45 minute helicopter tour for two people of New Orleans. You can tell them what you want to see. Departs from the Lakefront Airport.

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
Once upon a time...

.........there could be a happy ending to this saga. There and Claiborne at St. Bernard, Gentilly would be easier to resolve

multibow:

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 9:22 PM
TL;DR

Riverfront Park: They are pouring the paths, benches, and sidewalks. Soon, the plants and grass should go in. See here for some recent photo updates.

In other infrastructure news:

Almonaster Avenue Bridge
Still unfunded, but all the engineering work is done, so it's "shovel-ready". It'll include a four-lane roadway with sidewalks, bike lanes, and two railroad tracks.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post

I actually shop at the Tchoupitoulas Walmart, and while it was pretty bad off for a couple years after Katrina, it's the best Walmart I've shopped at (I know that's not saying too much, but...). From time to time I go to the Harahan store, and it's far and away much worse. The parking lot is always covered in trash, the employees are crappy, and there are always insane lines. At Tchoupitoulas I'm consistently impressed with how friendly the employees are and how relatively clean the parking lot is. So as far as Walmarts go, we could have gotten much worse.

This new development just needs to be maintained. The garage could go horribly wrong, but hopefully they plan on lighting it well and keeping it tidy. And the thought of a City Target right there is super exciting. That's so close to me!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations