HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 2:10 PM

Happy Canada Day!

I know it's not development and it sort of classifies to be in the Maritime Concert Scene Thread due to the stage and music, but since it was downtown I thought I would talk about it here. I'm assuming some of you went downtown yesterday. I was really impressed this year. They had a good set up and there was a lot of people. More than what I expected, aside from the fireworks of course! They had those bouncy castles, face painting and games for the kids and food vendors along with the stage and bleechers.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 3:16 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I didn't make it downtown yesterday, but I the half-hour traffic jam on Coverdale Rd at 10:30pm should be a good indicator as to the popularity of the fireworks. I've never been a fan of the proposed Bridgedale Blvd, but I can certainly concede having that road in place would have made things a lot easier in Gunningsville last night.

Admittedly though, the fireworks weren't as good as in years past. I guess the city is trying to cut back.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I didn't make it downtown yesterday, but I the half-hour traffic jam on Coverdale Rd at 10:30pm should be a good indicator as to the popularity of the fireworks. I've never been a fan of the proposed Bridgedale Blvd, but I can certainly concede having that road in place would have made things a lot easier in Gunningsville last night.

Admittedly though, the fireworks weren't as good as in years past. I guess the city is trying to cut back.
My family were trying to figure out when they were over. After the second stall my son and I were sure they were finished only to see the fireworks start up a third time.

Here's to next year!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 4:18 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Welcome to the boards, Bridgebulldog!

I didnt' mention the start/stopping but you're absolutely right. After the second gap a lot of the people around us started heading out. I'm more inclined to think that was due to technical difficulties though.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 5:49 AM

My daughter said they took the time to sing O Canada before the finale.
I was sitting on my roof watching them from 3 kms away so i couldn't hear.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 10:56 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Sorry Britishbulldog! Turns out it's harder to read compound words when you've had a few too many down at the Pump House.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 3:21 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

From the Sleuth today:

Quote:
Sleuth's sources in the Elmwood Drive area slipped him a juicy bit of rumour this week.

It's no secret the huge tract of land that houses Les Filles de Jesus religious congregation on Elmwood Drive has been coveted by developers for many years. That section of the city is growing rapidly as housing pushes out Irishtown Road.

Now comes word the ink is freshy dry on a new deal by the nuns to sell their mother house to the folks from Sobeys. Sleuth's operatives in the T&T have tried to confirm this rumour without success.

Let's just say the nuns have taken a vow of silence. And Sobeys is also being tight-lipped.

But Sleuth hears the grocery giant has plans to tear down the convent and build a new Lawton's Drug Store and possibly a new Sobeys store. The nearest Sobeys outlets are located in Dieppe and Trinity so there is a built-in customer base for another store.

The remaining members of Les Filles' congregation, meanwhile, are due to be moved to seniors' homes and other smaller religious houses around Metro Moncton.

The mother house is a massive and majestic building but far too large for the dwindling congregation to keep up.

Stay tuned for more details on this development as the summer unfolds.

Gotta say, Sobeys is really starting to get on my nerves. It was bad enough that they built that monstrosity on Main St. Now they want to tear down an iconic building in the city's east end to put up another massive box store? It's a terrible shame to see the city's nicest areas get blighted with big box stores. There are dozens of places in town that would be just as suitable and with a close proximity to a growing customer base.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 3:30 PM

how do you put photos on here without putting them on a website??

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry556 View Post
how do you put photos on here without putting them on a website??
You can't, not on this forum. Some web forum will allow you to upload your photos to their server, but not skyscraper.

You'll need to upload your photos to a web site somewhere. There are plenty of free photo hosting/sharing web sites out there. ie: photobucket.com

Once you have created an account and uploaded your photo, you will normally see a URL code, image code or whatever. Simply copy/paste this code in your post. ie: [img]enter URL image code here[/img]

You must enter the code between the tags [img] [/img]. There are more instructions in the bbCode Guide of this site when creating a post, just above the Smilies section.

You can also right click any image on this forum to see the URL location of the pic.

That's it. Now post them pics!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 9:05 PM

Besides tearing down that nice looking building, putting a Sobey's/Lawtons there would leave some other vacancies. Just down Elmwood is the Price Chopper grocery store that would most likely close, since it's owned by Sobey's. There is a Lawtons along that stretch too that would close.

All in all, I hope the rumours aren't true.

There's plenty of room to build the Sobey's off of McLaughlin, close to L'Odysee school. Why tear down a building for it? Remodel and turn it into offices or apartments.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 2:23 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I don't know what to make of this Sobey's news.......

There are already five Sobey's supermarkets in Greater Moncton (Dieppe-2, Moncton-2, Riverview-1). There is also a new Sobey's being built not far away in Shediac.

There are rumoured plans for a Sobey's on Harrisville Blvd. and now this new rumour of a Sobey's on Elmwood.

Add to this the rumours about relocating the Riverview Sobey's to Findlay park.......

What gives?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I don't know what to make of this Sobey's news.......

There are already five Sobey's supermarkets in Greater Moncton (Dieppe-2, Moncton-2, Riverview-1). There is also a new Sobey's being built not far away in Shediac.

There are rumoured plans for a Sobey's on Harrisville Blvd. and now this new rumour of a Sobey's on Elmwood.

Add to this the rumours about relocating the Riverview Sobey's to Findlay park.......

What gives?
They need to do something about having 2 locations within walking distance too (champlain place and paul st.)

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 5:42 PM
You talkin' to me?

There are I think 6 Sobey's in Dartmouth alone. It just seems to be something they've been doing recently. It's pretty wierd.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 7:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If all this transpires, there could be as many as eight Sobey's in Greater Moncton and Shediac..........perhaps their plan is to overwhelm the opposition by shear numbers. There are only three Superstores in the GMA.

I don't mind the new Sobey's on Main Street. It was built on a parking lot for the Terminal Plaza office complex so it isn't like anything of architectural significance was lost due to it's construction.

There should be a supermarket downtown to service the people living there and Sobey's did at least pay partial lipservice to city council by including additional storefrontage (Shoe Tree and Nubody's Women) along Main Street to create a streetscape where none existed before.

The new Ashford building across the street on the northeast corner of Main and Vaughn Harvey will do a lot to diminish the dominance of the new Sobey's building on that corner. Now that the structural steel is up, you can see just how less visible and partially obscured the Sobey's is when you travel southbound on Vaughn Harvey.

Now, all we have to do is get Robichaud's condominium project built and to develop the southwest corner of Main/Vaughn Harvey to increase the density/height of the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 11:42 AM

Moncton hospital wing to open 2 years late

From CBC News (July 7, 2009):

The Moncton Hospital's new $47-million ambulatory centre is now aiming to open its doors to patients in late fall, two years behind schedule.

'You're probably looking at two to three months following the turnover. I don't mean to be vague but it's really hard to pinpoint an exact date.'— Jeff Carter, vice-president RHA B

The massive new building designed to house a number of clinics was supposed to be completed by the fall of 2007 but has been plagued by delays, including the need for new floors because the original ones didn't meet specifications.

The Department of Supply and Services is planning to hand the building over to Regional Health Authority B in a few weeks.

Jeff Carter, the vice-president of operations and support services for the health authority, said once the building is turned over there will still be a lot of work to do.

"You're probably looking at two to three months following the turnover. I don't mean to be vague but it's really hard to pinpoint an exact date and say this is when we will be opening. All I can give you are timelines that we have based on our projections," he said.

Carter said the centre will require extensive cleaning that will likely take about two weeks and then they need to install equipment.

"And staff will have to be orientated to the new work space and to the new equipment, so once all of that takes place, the new ambulatory care centre would be open to the public," Carter said.

Carter said the new centre will reduce wait times for some procedures.

He said there's a new lab that will help provide test results faster.

And there will be 175 additional parking spaces to deal with the congestion and parking problems around the hospital.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 12:18 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Two years overdue? Even for the government that's pretty excessive.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 11:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The actual building of the ACC went quite smoothly. It was only in the latter stages that things went awry with the flooring. I don't know why it took so long to replace the flooring. I agree, it is ridiculous that the building is two years overdue. Without the flooring issue, we should have moved in last spring!

There is still lots to do even after the move is complete and the ER/Trauma Centre, outpatient clinics and lab have taken up residency in their new digs. This will require millions of dollars for additional renovations to the existing hospital. This has already been partially budgetted.

The old ER will be cleaved in half by a corridor connecting the existing hospital to the new ACC. The old ER thus will be subdivided into two. To the west of the new corridor, Medical Imaging will inherit some of the space for future expansion. Some additional office space will also be created. To the east, space will be created for new medical/surgical ICU units and also some space will be given over for an expansion to the OR suites. I believe that the neuro, pediatric and neonatal ICU's will stay where they are currently.

The old section of the hospital where the existing lab and clinics are located will likely be demolished for additional staff parking. I don't think this has been firmly decided yet, but this section of the hospital is over 50 years old. It would be nice if they considered a parking garage for this location if this were to happen.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 11:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is a picture from the T&T today showing structural steel going up at the new Ashford office building at Main and Vaughn Harvey.

Hey mmmatt, I think it's about time for a new Moncton construction phototour........What do you think?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 12:18 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Moncton High makes danger list
Published Wednesday July 8th, 2009

Heritage Canada Foundation adds 'magnificent sandstone landmark' to its Top 10 list of endangered heritage sites
A1
By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

First Moncton had one of Canada's 10 most endangered rivers. Now added to that dubious distinction we have one of the nation's 10 most endangered heritage sites.

Greg Agnew
Moncton High School has been named one of Canada’s Top 10 Most Endangered Places by the Heritage Canada Foundation.
But while New Brunswick's provincial Liberal government has acted decisively to save the Petitcodiac River, the jury's still out on the future of Moncton High School.

And that's a shame, says the Heritage Canada Foundation, which has included the endangered, "magnificent sandstone landmark," on its 2009 Top Ten Endangered Places List.

Moncton East MLA Chris Collins, whose riding includes the 75-year-old school, said yesterday, "it's ridiculously premature to call it endangered" but welcomed the attention as a means of helping him and fellow area Liberal MLAs ensure one of Moncton's greatest architectural jewels is preserved.

"To have a federal organization like this come forward encourages me. That might help us source federal dollars," he said.

Collins suggested the national attention could even help get the school a formal designation as a federal heritage site, which could help it be protected. Currently it has a municipal heritage designation, but not a provincial or federal one.

And, ironically enough, though it is New Brunswick's provincial Heritage Act that enables the City of Moncton to declare it a heritage property, the province itself is exempt from the heritage bylaw. It could, in fact, legally bulldoze Moncton High School into the ground today if it so chose, with no explanations necessary other than the political ones the public would demand.

The Heritage Canada Foundation does have a profile that would merit federal government attention. It is a national non-profit organization founded by the Trudeau government in 1973 under the ministerial leadership of Jean Chrétien.

Its mandate is to, "preserve and demonstrate and to encourage the preservation and demonstration of the nationally significant historic, architectural, natural and scenic heritage of Canada with a view to stimulating and promoting the interest of the people of Canada in that heritage."

The Foundation says of Moncton High, "the future of this landmark building -- an outstanding example of Normandy Gothic Revival style architecture in New Brunswick -- is at risk due to the province's lack of commitment to maintain and invest in existing schools."

The foundation argues the building matters because, "it is considered to be one of the most important architectural landmarks in downtown Moncton and a symbol of permanence in the city."

The citation accompanying the addition of Moncton High School to the list notes, "the $25-million cost estimate for a new school does not include many elements that exist at MHS, such as the auditorium. Economics aside, the environmental impact of abandoning this building and replacing it with a new structure would be staggering."

The decision about the future of Moncton High rests with the province, but Moncton City Council has come out firmly on the side of protecting and preserving the structure.

Its Heritage Preservation Review Board hired Jim Bezanson, a professional planner and architectural consultant, to review the findings of the studies commissioned by the province on the structural condition of the high school and Bezanson questions the extent of the costly structural changes recommended.

His findings were presented to the District Education Council and School District 2 in June. As a result, the district staff recommendations in favour of new construction presented to the DEC that evening have been removed from the table with an order to "go back to the drawing board."

Since then, the area Liberal MLAs have spoken up to oppose the demolition of the school and Collins insisted yesterday "there is no wrecking ball headed in that direction."

Metro building permits climb to $17.8M

FREDERICTON - The value of building permits issued for Metro Moncton increased this spring.

New figures from Statistics Canada show the value of permits issued in May was $17.8 million, up from $16.4 million the previous month.

In January, the value of permits was roughly $10 million. That jumped to $68.8 million in February. The value of permits issued in both March and April was $16.4 million. In comparison, the value of permits issued in May for Saint John was $16.4 million, down from $39.7 million. Provincially, $73.1 million in building permits were issued in May, compared to $100.9 million in April.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 8:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Moncton High makes danger list

Heritage Canada Foundation adds 'magnificent sandstone landmark' to its Top 10 list of endangered heritage sites
A1
By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

First Moncton had one of Canada's 10 most endangered rivers. Now added to that dubious distinction we have one of the nation's 10 most endangered heritage sites.

Good..........This will make it a lot more difficult and more embarrassing for Shawn Graham to attack MHS with a wrecking ball.

This is actually huge. I am beginning to have some hope for the future of this architectural masterpiece.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces