HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 2:56 PM

[Dartmouth] Wyse Tower (5 Williams) | 84 M | 27 FL | U/C

BOSTON DEVELOPMENTS has a new rendering up saying construction will start Summer 2022. Only hint is it says Dartmouth, NS and it's about 26 storeys tall.

Boston Developments Ltd Instagram

Anyone recognize this project?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 3:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

1 Williams Street? You can see the address in the rendering near the front entrance of the building. It is a small street that runs for 1 block on the Dartmouth side of the Macdonald bridge approach.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 3:58 PM

^Good catch so I assume that is the MacDonald Bridge in the background then. So its the vacant site along Faulkner Street between Williams and Dickson.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 3:55 AM

This project is going before Design Advisory Committee next week for approval.

Case 23998 Pre-Application Site Plan Approval Report

Tower and entrance will be oriented to Williams Street. The lot is the entire Willams/Faulkner/Lyle/Dickson block minus the tattoo shop. There is a public art piece proposed for Faulkner/Williams street corner by Vasilis Vasili.

- 160 residential units
- 26 floors
- 84 parking spots all indoors on three levels
- F.A.R. of 3.49
- Window wall and composite panel exterior

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 1:51 PM

Very nice. 29 floors to the high roof line.
This is on the north side of the bridge, add the 3 proposed towers to the south of the bridge and the tower where the law office is now on the Sportsplex corner...that will be quite the gateway to Dartmouth when driving across the bridge from Halifax!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 2:48 PM

Don't forget this development too https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2019...rey-tower.html

If everything gets built this will probably be the most dense block of high rises in Halifax.

EDIT:

I downloaded Sketchup and played around with it a bit and came up with this massing of the area. No judgement this was my first time playing with the program. Heights of the buildings are true to what's available of them online.

https://imgur.com/a/Bks6RU9

Last edited by DigitalNinja; Jun 4, 2022 at 3:38 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 11:24 PM
Closed account

It's looking like this area is kind of Dartmouth's version of Robie/Almon/Young - formally a car-centric wasteland, with the potential to become sort of another downtown.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post

EDIT:

I downloaded Sketchup and played around with it a bit and came up with this massing of the area. No judgement this was my first time playing with the program. Heights of the buildings are true to what's available of them online.

https://imgur.com/a/Bks6RU9
Pretty cool. When you see them all together it really will be quite impressive.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
It's looking like this area is kind of Dartmouth's version of Robie/Almon/Young - formally a car-centric wasteland, with the potential to become sort of another downtown.
Yup. Seeing pockets of these developments go up. Stretch of Joe Howe nearest to the shipping terminal is the same. On the 1km stretch between the Bedford ramps to Bayers rd there are 5 either active, shovels-in-ground or planned developments. Howe is still a car-centric mess, but those developments are a forcing function towards stronger communities.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 6:38 PM

And these proposed developments show the necessity of the infill project at Dartmouth Cove. https://www.saltwire.com/halifax/opi...ing-100740249/
The pyritic slate from these sites is a short distance to the infill site and will reduce emissions from trucks.
Who remembers Hurricane Blanche in late July 1975 and the SEDCO rig breaking loose from the shipyard and grounding at Shannon Park ?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 7:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
And these proposed developments show the necessity of the infill project at Dartmouth Cove. https://www.saltwire.com/halifax/opi...ing-100740249/
The pyritic slate from these sites is a short distance to the infill site and will reduce emissions from trucks.
Who remembers Hurricane Blanche in late July 1975 and the SEDCO rig breaking loose from the shipyard and grounding at Shannon Park ?
Honestly I wouldn't really mind the slate infill if there was actually a long term plan to do something with the space once it's filled. A pile of rock in the harbour in front of what's going to be a revitalized area is a total waste of space though.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 7:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Honestly I wouldn't really mind the slate infill if there was actually a long term plan to do something with the space once it's filled. A pile of rock in the harbour in front of what's going to be a revitalized area is a total waste of space though.
There is the Bedford fill area. Still empty, right? I think it must be nearly 20 years old now.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatscat View Post
Yup. Seeing pockets of these developments go up. Stretch of Joe Howe nearest to the shipping terminal is the same. On the 1km stretch between the Bedford ramps to Bayers rd there are 5 either active, shovels-in-ground or planned developments. Howe is still a car-centric mess, but those developments are a forcing function towards stronger communities.
Now all of these development hotspots just need to be connected by serious transit.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There is the Bedford fill area. Still empty, right? I think it must be nearly 20 years old now.
Location of the new ferry terminal scheduled to open in 2026?

Not my field of expertise, but isn't it a good idea to give all that fill some time to settle before building on it?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Now all of these development hotspots just need to be connected by serious transit.
Unfortunately the Williams St development is several blocks straight uphill to the ill-positioned Transit terminal. They really could not have put it in a worse spot.

The only way it might work is if there was somehow a pedway in the sky from a mid-to-upper floor of the new building over Wyse Rd and then to the terminal, oriented so that it was almost a level trek.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Unfortunately the Williams St development is several blocks straight uphill to the ill-positioned Transit terminal. They really could not have put it in a worse spot.

The only way it might work is if there was somehow a pedway in the sky from a mid-to-upper floor of the new building over Wyse Rd and then to the terminal, oriented so that it was almost a level trek.
Having some kind of pedway or tunnel system crossing Wyse and Nantucket would probably work well here. As it stands it's not a very pleasant area for pedestrians and having more people cross at surface level will create more traffic problems, and realistically, accidents.

The Bridge Terminal works well for transfers and as a place to wait at but it's pretty awkward to get to on foot coming from the Wyse Rd side. If you look at an overhead view you can see that the design anticipated people using the trails across the roof of the terminal and entering from the top (a fairly elegant design solution and a neat feature IMO) but few people seem to know this option exists and so most people just cross at ground level, which blocks the buses.

https://goo.gl/maps/Sg6zW6gw2q2UZaJ88
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.67085.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Flipped through the submission: the layouts of the 1BR units on Levels 2 and 3, between grids F and H and 6 and 8 look pretty tight. I understand that the furniture is just illustrative, but it looks like quite the squeeze to get around the 2-seat loveseat to get from the dining area to the beroom. yikes.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 10:43 PM
I_Like_Cranes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Having some kind of pedway or tunnel system crossing Wyse and Nantucket would probably work well here.
I would love to see a four way pedway at that intersection. A big ol square tube letting us cross wherever.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeCranes View Post
I would love to see a four way pedway at that intersection. A big ol square tube letting us cross wherever.
Maybe a scramble. I quite enjoyed the scrambles in Auckland.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 5:30 PM

Drove by this site earlier today and envisioned what a huge change this will be for the area. Currently the empty lots are almost country meadowish, surrounded by small single family homes (I think that most are homes built to house workers during WWII that were later sold off by CHMC after they had concrete foundations installed).

It was very quiet, almost serene, despite being next to the Mac-D bridge. In its current state, it takes quite a bit of imagination to envision an area densely populated with a number of tall residential buildings.

This will be quite interesting to watch in the next few years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth