HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
^ Agreed, that trade was absolutely mind blowingly bad for Toronto. When you think what Montreal gave up for Durant's rights and especially what Ottawa gave up for Tate (both of which in my opinion are better than Willy) leaves no doubt in my mind that the previous management staff had no freaking clue what they were doing anymore.
There is no denying that the trade was bad, but maybe the higher price has more to do with making the deal in season vs off season? Or possibly it was just desperate management sensing a pink slip on the horizon if the season was to become a failure.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 9:21 PM

According to some draft analysts, including Ford, Bombers killed it at the draft last night....well, killed it is exaggerating a bit, but he did like their draft in terms of the high-end potential of their picks. This was considered a weaker draft.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
According to some draft analysts, including Ford, Bombers killed it at the draft last night....well, killed it is exaggerating a bit, but he did like their draft in terms of the high-end potential of their picks. This was considered a weaker draft.
Yeah... I don't pay tons of attention to U-Sports football and CFL draft news, but usually most years I get to know at least a few of the top names. This year I don't know if I would have recognized any of the names projected to go in the first round.

Interestingly, Bombers also picked Geoff Gray in the 1st round. He's an O-lineman from U. Manitoba who got picked up by the Packers but is prepared to play here if things fall through in the NFL. Obviously I wish him well as he chases the big bucks down south, but if it doesn't work out for him down there he could be a game changer for the Bombers.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah... I don't pay tons of attention to U-Sports football and CFL draft news, but usually most years I get to know at least a few of the top names. This year I don't know if I would have recognized any of the names projected to go in the first round.

Interestingly, Bombers also picked Geoff Gray in the 1st round. He's an O-lineman from U. Manitoba who got picked up by the Packers but is prepared to play here if things fall through in the NFL. Obviously I wish him well as he chases the big bucks down south, but if it doesn't work out for him down there he could be a game changer for the Bombers.
I was a bit surprised they picked him so early seeing as there is the possibility he will be bouncing around in the NFL for awhile. Walters and co. may think there is high likelihood he will be cut in training camp and not be signed elsewhere allowing the Bombers to bring him to within a year or less.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 10:24 PM
Reason and Freedom

Powerful video from the Edmonton Eskimos:

Video Link

And for convenience, here is an embedded version of the latest CFL commercial, which was linked in an earlier post:

Video Link

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 1:36 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

From the REDBLACKS website

Quote:
May 10, 2017
105th Grey Cup Nearing a Sellout

The Ottawa REDBLACKS of the Canadian Football League (CFL) today announced that fewer than 6,000 tickets remain for the 105th Grey Cup, presented by Shaw.

“We’re humbled by the excitement for the Grey Cup in Ottawa, not just in our region but across Canada,” said Jeff Hunt, President of the REDBLACKS parent company, OSEG Sports. “The theme is RNation welcomes Our Nation and we’re certainly going to do that, not just at the game but at every touchpoint with fans and soon-to-be fans at the Grey Cup Festival, presented by Shaw. This is going to be the exclamation point on a yearlong celebration of Canada.”

Tickets for the annual November classic at TD Place in the nation’s capital have been available to REDBLACKS’ season ticket holders since last November. Season ticket holders from all other CFL teams got their chance to purchase tickets last month, and fans that took advantage of a REDBLACKS 105-hour deposit opportunity last November were also able to purchase their seats in April.

“The response from fans has been tremendous and while all of us in the REDBLACKS organization are excited, our goal is a sell-out and we’re not there yet,” said John Mathers, VP Ticketing and Marketing for OSEG. “We still have great seats available in multiple locations and at various price points. We can’t wait to welcome our nation and show them that RNation is the best fan-base in the country.”

The REDBLACKS phased-in approach to Grey Cup ticket sales continues. Currently, tickets are only available to season ticket holders and fans that purchase a 5-game “Home Opener Ticket Pack.”

“The secondary objective of this approach is to help fill TD Place for every REDBLACKS’ home game and we are on-track for a record-setting season-ticket base of more than 17,000,” said Mathers. “After individual regular season game tickets become available on June 1st, we’ll release the remaining Grey Cup tickets on a first-come, first-served basis on June 8, but I encourage fans to explore the opportunity of securing a full or partial REDBLACKS ticket package to jump the cue and ensure they’re with us on November 26th.”

TD Place will be expanded from 24,000 seats to approximately 35,000 for the 105th Grey Cup, presented by Shaw. A total of 2,000 temporary seats will be added to the west end of the facility and an additional 9,000 seats will be built in the east end. The installation will commence in late September.

Fans interested in purchasing a REDBLACKS ticket package for an advanced opportunity to secure Grey Cup seats are encouraged to visit OttawaREDBLACKS.com for more information.

The 105th Grey Cup Festival, presented by Shaw, will feature a wide-range of events and activities for fans and soon-to-be fans of all ages. Information on the Festival will be posted at GreyCupFestival105.ca on a regular basis in the coming weeks.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 1:40 PM

CFL training camps open this weekend! Football is finally back!

Anyone attending any training camp sessions where you live?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 1:53 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Also posted on the Stadiums thread...

Quote:
Edmonton to host 106th Grey Cup in 2018
TSN.ca Staff

The Canadian Football League officially announced on Monday that Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium will be hosting the 106th Grey Cup on Nov. 25, 2018.

The city will be hosting the CFL's championship game for the first time since 2010 and the event will coincide with the stadium's 40th anniversary an dthe 70th anniversary of the team's play as the Eskimos.

"Our league is proud to award the Grey Cup to a city known for great Canadian football, tremendous hospitality and incredible volunteers," said Jim Lawson, Chair of the CFL's Board of Governors in a statement.

"Our fans here in Edmonton and across Canada know this is a great place for the Grey Cup. When the city last hosted in 2010, the game sold out in a week."

Edmonton also hosted the Grey Cup in 1984, 1997 and 2002.

The 2017 Grey Cup is being held at TD Place Stadium at Lansdowne Park on Sunday, Nov. 26.
http://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-to-host-1...-2018-1.770889

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:08 PM

Edmonton is a good spot! I am kinda surprised this will only be the 5th time they will have hosted though. Hopefully it's a successful as the last time.

Maybe Hamilton can get it for 2019?
Regina 2020?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:47 PM

^ Hamilton gets it once the THF stadium litigation ends. I could see Regina getting it in 2019. After that, it gets a little murkier. Montreal must be getting close to being due. Isn't Toronto contractually obliged to get it again soon?

I'm not old enough to remember the 1984 Grey Cup beyond the result, but Edmonton has knocked it out of the park the last three times they've hosted. It's a great sports city as we all know... they'll do a great job with the Grey Cup next year.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
^ Hamilton gets it once the THF stadium litigation ends. I could see Regina getting it in 2019. After that, it gets a little murkier. Montreal must be getting close to being due. Isn't Toronto contractually obliged to get it again soon?

I'm not old enough to remember the 1984 Grey Cup beyond the result, but Edmonton has knocked it out of the park the last three times they've hosted. It's a great sports city as we all know... they'll do a great job with the Grey Cup next year.
I went to the one in Montreal the last time it was there. Was a great time but didn't quite sell out despite the Als being in it. Then again, the trend seems to be smaller crowds for the GC so maybe the Big O is too big for it.

I don't see it coming to Calgary until we get a new stadium - so maybe never?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 7:07 PM

Sounds like Vince Young got injured. End of the line already?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
I don't see it coming to Calgary until we get a new stadium - so maybe never?
If old Winnipeg Stadium could handle the Grey Cup as recently as 2006, I don't think McMahon will have any problems. It's more about how much money can be brought in than the poshness of the stadium.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Sounds like Vince Young got injured. End of the line already?
Reports are that he has been somewhat underwhelming in TC, which is hardly surprising considering how long he has been out of the game.

I think you'd have to have been an extreme optimist to think that he'd make it through the season with the Riders. I think there will be some face saving gesture after pre-season week 2 that will allow him to walk away gracefully. But yeah, a decade ago who would have thought that Vince Young would be put to shame by Kevin Glenn in training camp.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 7:22 PM

Quote:
If old Winnipeg Stadium could handle the Grey Cup as recently as 2006, I don't think McMahon will have any problems. It's more about how much money can be brought in than the poshness of the stadium.
Yeah but old Wpg Stadium didn't have temp end zone seats situated way out in the parking lot! That just won't fly anymore.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 11:07 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Reports are that he has been somewhat underwhelming in TC, which is hardly surprising considering how long he has been out of the game.

I think you'd have to have been an extreme optimist to think that he'd make it through the season with the Riders. I think there will be some face saving gesture after pre-season week 2 that will allow him to walk away gracefully. But yeah, a decade ago who would have thought that Vince Young would be put to shame by Kevin Glenn in training camp.
I hear that it's Bryan Bennett who has been the star of training camp, which makes me wonder why the Bombers didn't re-sign him. The thing about Sask. hasn't been that Vince Young is bad, it's that Bennett and Brandon Bridge have been surprisingly good. This seems to bump Young down to an untenable third-string position at best. What would be the point?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 2:53 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Pre-season game tonight - CFL football is back baby! Love it !

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 8:39 PM

Quote:
To be fair, a lot has changed since 2006. The league has a lot more momentum and confidence behind it now, and with the majority of cities having new/renovated stadiums I can't see the league wanting to go back to Calgary unless there was a lot of money involved.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 8:43 PM

^ At the end of the day it's about how many seats can you sell at X hundred dollars a pop... Calgary is pretty good at that, even if their venue is not necessarily the latest and greatest.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 12:58 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Grey Cup tickets go on sale to the general public at 10am today!
Reports are that only about 3000 tickets remain.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada