HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 7:13 PM
Red October standing by

Knoxville - night, neighborhoods, grit and more

some pics from this winter (downtown at night) and this summer (everything else.) broken down by neighborhood, as referenced by the circled areas on the map (except Fort Sanders, which i've shown before, will show again, and is deserving of its own thread.)

University of Tennessee - well, i've finally photographed it.

Maplehurst - the little area just below the "A" on the map. caught between downtown and UT and due to its terrain, there's some old housing which has managed to avoid being razed, showing how Knox once was.

looking back at UT and Fort Sanders

downtown from south of the river

some downtown pics at night in winter.

College Hills/Mechanicsville/Western Heights/Beaumont/Lonsdale/West View - this was once one of the most notorious areas of inner-city Knoxville. things have gotten better, although a lot of bad pockets remain. it's also where i get my film processed.

from wikipedia/original.jpg

Quote:
In the early 20th century, Mechanicsville evolved into a prosperous neighborhood of African American businesses and working families, and remained so for several decades. Unfortunately, like most of Knoxville's inner city neighborhoods, Mechanicsville experienced a decline during the second half of the twentieth century. The freeway that would become Interstate 40 was constructed between Mechanicsville and downtown Knoxville. College Homes, a public housing development, was built as an Urban Renewal project near the commercial center of the neighborhood, just below Knoxville College. As crime rose in the area, families moved away and businesses closed. Urban Renewal's promise of blight removal had failed. By the 1990s, Mechanicsville, with the arguable exception of the historic district of "Old Mechanicsville," had become a collection of vacant or decaying properties, with little hope of attracting private investment.

In 1997, the local public housing authority, Knoxville's Community Development Corporation (KCDC), received a $22 million HOPE VI grant from the Department of Housing and Urban Development to revitalize the College Homes portion of the neighborhood. Under a cloud of controversy, the families living in the College Homes barrack style-apartments were relocated and the housing project was demolished. The area was then rebuilt with single family and duplex homes designed to blend architecturally with remaining late 19th century neighborhood. In addition, KCDC purchased over 100 vacant lots throughout the neighborhood for new construction, which was also designed to fit in architecturally with the remaining neighborhood. Efforts were made to enable low income families from the area to rent or purchase these homes./original.jpg

UT in the distance

heading out west to Bearden, where old suburban Knoxville ends and the sprawl nightmare begins. there's some interesting mixed-density housing in the area.

off to west Knoxville!

-

-fflint

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 11:10 PM

Wow - What a dump.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 11:42 PM

True there is a lot of horrendous, suburban sprawl in Knoxville, but there are actually some really nice neighborhoods with a lot of charm in and around downtown, especially if you like brick structures. Definitely some nice shots in there, thanks!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 1:09 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypkatl View Post
Wow - What a dump.
Let me guess...from Atlanta? Ohhh noez, no shiny clean Whole Foods market or Starbucks on every corner, how gross and scary!

Aaaaanyway, great thread of an underrated and interesting city with a lot of good bones. Thanks for showing some of the lesser seen areas.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 4:11 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Neat! Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 3:20 PM
tilted & shifted

I've never seen Knoxville before. It has some charming elements. Thanks for the tour.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 3:25 PM
West Mobile

Thanks! Great pics...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 5:34 PM

Always enjoyed the distant view of the Smokies from my room at Melrose Hall.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 6:38 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Wow - What a dump.
I'm guessing he intentionally took pictures of the "transitional" neighborhoods given the tastes of photo forum viewers on this site, lol... The whole city can't look like that.

I've only been through Knoxville at 3am on a Greyhound bus, so this is the first time I've seen it barring Google. Except for the burned out party houses and the WigSphere it looks like a nice undiscovered town. Funny how it reminds me of Austin-it's got its own UT with the same school colors, a fairly well kept downtown, surrounded by hills, Oak Ridge high-tech industry cluster, etc. I could live in a place like that.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 9:01 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
I'm guessing he intentionally took pictures of the "transitional" neighborhoods given the tastes of photo forum viewers on this site, lol... The whole city can't look like that.

I've only been through Knoxville at 3am on a Greyhound bus, so this is the first time I've seen it barring Google. Except for the burned out party houses and the WigSphere it looks like a nice undiscovered town. Funny how it reminds me of Austin-it's got its own UT with the same school colors, a fairly well kept downtown, surrounded by hills, Oak Ridge high-tech industry cluster, etc. I could live in a place like that.
I was thinking the same thing, although Austin's downtown is much more built up (at least it is now compared to previously). Even the run-down areas of Knoxville remind me of Austin's run-down areas.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 2:43 AM

Cool shots. I like the emphasis on residential areas.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 1:07 AM
Eurosceptic

i really like the shots of the grit and decay... keep 'em comin'!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 5:42 AM

knoxville is a great college town.

nice pics......thanks for the tour.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 3:28 PM

Very extensive tour, nice shots

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 4:07 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Great tour L. I spent a week in Knoxville about 12 years ago (business trip). Unfortunately I couldn't get out into the city much. I did do an evening stroll around downtown one night. Gay Street looks way better than when I was there. And the Maplehust neighborhood looks cool. I'm glad you inluded the UT pics. Thanks for the tour.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 4:16 PM

Nice pictures. Seeing some Southern grit, like the pictures of Mechanicsville, is a nice change.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypkatl View Post
Wow - What a dump.
i'll assume you're just talking about that shit of a post you just clipped off here.

bna - why bother getting worked up? lol. no need to defend the city or these photos, both of which are quite good.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 3:23 AM
Red October standing by

thanks y'all.

dump? i used to live there ya know. things are a lot better than when i left for college in 1998, and last "lived" there in the summer of 2000.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 3:56 PM
transatlanticist

Thanks for the pics, a charming yet raw and real place, just the way I like 'em!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 6:22 AM

So south's largest adult store is in Knoxville.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos