HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 10:28 PM

Successful Redevelopment in Centre Market Historic District:

One area of Wheeling that I haven't covered in this thread yet is Centre Market. Centre Market, which was struggling for many years, has seen a huge surge in retail and restaurants in the last decade. While many 'classic' businesses such as Coleman's Fish Market remain in the market, many new shops have helped rebrand the market and make it more vibrant. It is now a destination for people all over the Ohio Valley, and is gaining popularity as a neighborhood to live in due to its walkability to the attractions in both Centre Market and nearby Downtown.

The most recent redevelopment project was Vochelli Pizza, which opened in late 2016. It had been located in Downtown, but the owners decided to move it to Centre Market. They renovated a previously vacant historic building and added both indoor and outdoor seating.

The west side of the market is primarily businesses while the east side is primarily historic homes mixed with retail space. This has led to several renovations of historic homes and several building have added unique loft apartments. The neighborhood has become the unofficial center for the arts in the Wheeling area.

The building with the purple garage has been converted into a very interesting private residence this year. Click here to see more info and photos of it.

Inside Valley Cheese in the main markethouse building:

Recently, plans have been made to allow local artists to have an even bigger role in the market. This includes murals, painting crosswalks, and painting parking meters. The market's footprint has expanded into the 2100 block of Market Street - there are several recently renovated storefronts here that are currently vacant. In the future, the Center Market District hopes to gain more "destination" retail as well as house and apartment renovations.

A resident of the Center Market District painting a parking meter:

Boutique shops along Lane B with apartments on the second floor:

Looking down Lane B:

Centre Cup Coffee, a popular cafe on the corner of Market and 22nd Streets:

An aerial view of the Center Market District looking south:

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 10:55 PM
new day

^ Gorgeous.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 12:22 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
It sucks, a very beautiful church that was in the process of being restored after being abandoned for decades collapsed or caught on fire, can't remember which one, a few months ago and it was an 1840s church and very prominent and was a couple blocks from Centre Market.

http://weelunk.com/historic-church-r...nter-wheeling/

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
It sucks, a very beautiful church that was in the process of being restored after being abandoned for decades collapsed or caught on fire, can't remember which one, a few months ago and it was an 1840s church and very prominent and was a couple blocks from Centre Market.

http://weelunk.com/historic-church-r...nter-wheeling/
I wasn't aware of that - but it is indeed a shame. Wheeling has such a large amount of unique historic buildings, but they usually end up getting torn down because there isn't interest in renovating them. It's depressing that a building people were actually interested in fixing up collapsed.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 1:48 AM

In case anyone cares, I found a pretty neat mini-documentary on the Center Market Historic District. It tells some history, interviews shop owners, ect. Plus, there's some pretty interesting Ohio Valley accents in the video

(Click here to watch it)

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 4:46 AM

I was driving through Downtown Wheeling recently and noticed two new projects I wasn't aware of. Unfortunately I couldn't get any good pictures because it was night time. Another random side note- the Health Plan headquarters has been completed. It looks good along Main Street, but along Market Street, its quite a disappointment. The building looks really good, but it is set very far back from the road and has an open field and surface parking between it and the road. It is sadly very suburban. But, it does bring a lot of jobs and investment to Downtown, and the surface lot may eventually be developed, so overall I'm happy.

1069 Main Street Renovations:
The first building I noticed was across the street from the Health Plan Headquarters in the former Tom's Pizza Building. The building has been left vacant since the shop closed in the 90s.

The exterior, before renovations began:

The City of Wheeling has owned the building for several years and were willing to give it to any viable developer for free. In early 2016, two people took control of the building - one a local, and one a South African. Both have been involved in other small projects in Wheeling. They plan to renovate the bottom floor for retail space and the upper two floors for his private residential space. It appears that they plan to make one residential unit which will keep the original historic character mixed with a modern loft feel.

A view of the second floor. This space will be the living room of their loft:

They hope to "bring back the original facade" which was covered up on the ground floor. There are no tenants announced (as of this 2016 article: I cannot find anything else about the project.) but they are optimistic about finding one due to their close proximity to the Health Plan. The rear of the building has decayed to the point that it will be completely removed and replaced. When I drove past briefly, I could see work was being done on the front facade still. I can't find any info on how the renovation is progressing though.

An example of the very damaged interior:

Gerraro Music Building Apartment Conversion:
I was sort of aware of this project but forgot about it until I saw it - and wow... it looks very out of left field. The building is a pretty strange one. It is located near both the Health Plan and Capitol Theater on Main Street. The building sits back from the road and has a strip-mall-esque building attached to it with surface parking.

The building pre-renovations:

The plan is to convert the building into multiple apartment units and a restaurant overlooking the Ohio River. I think this is a good plan - the backyard of the building is the Wheeling Heritage Biketrail which is along the river.

Now I have not the slightest clue what in the hell the developers are going for - they've essentially masked the whole building under this... bland and strange facade. Maybe I'm missing something, but it just looks really wierd. It appears white in this photo I found (only one I could find) but I thought it looked grey when I saw it. I think they extended the building out farther towards Market Street.

The facade during renovations. I have no idea what's up with it:

The Health Plan Headquarters from Main Street:

Last edited by Dblcut3; Dec 31, 2017 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 8:07 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblcut3 View Post
Gerraro Music Building Apartment Conversion:
I was sort of aware of this project but forgot about it until I saw it - and wow... it looks very out of left field. The building is a pretty strange one. It is located near both the Health Plan and Capitol Theater on Main Street. The building sits back from the road and has a strip-mall-esque building attached to it with surface parking.

The building pre-renovations:

The plan is to convert the building into multiple apartment units and a restaurant overlooking the Ohio River. I think this is a good plan - the backyard of the building is the Wheeling Heritage Biketrail which is along the river.

Now I have not the slightest clue what in the hell the developers are going for - they've essentially masked the whole building under this... bland and strange facade. Maybe I'm missing something, but it just looks really wierd. It appears white in this photo I found (only one I could find) but I thought it looked grey when I saw it. I think they extended the building out farther towards Market Street.

The facade during renovations. I have no idea what's up with it:
My guess is that the white stuff is polyiso insulation that they are applying to the exterior, and that it will eventually be covered with finished building materials. This is sometimes done on renovation jobs of older structures to improve the building's R-value and to comply with current building codes.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
my guess is that the white stuff is polyiso insulation that they are applying to the exterior, and that it will eventually be covered with finished building materials. This is sometimes done on renovation jobs of older structures to improve the building's r-value and to comply with current building codes.
I figured that. My point was that there's only 3 windows on the whole front of the building and it just looks incredibly plain compared to how it used to look. But, let's hope the final material makes it look nicer.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 9:31 PM

100 Apartments Coming to Former Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel Building:
Source: The Intelligencer

A long proposed project will finally move forward in the coming weeks. A $20 million renovation to the Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel Building will add over 100 market rate apartments and retail space to Downtown Wheeling. The developers, Coon Restoration & Sealants, hope to complete the project by the end of 2019. The 13 story building was completed in 1907 and was once the tallest in West Virginia. The building is almost completely abandoned today.

In addition to this project, city officials hope to get a new parking garage built on the surface lot across the street from the building. Mayor Glen Elliot hopes that the garage will look "as little like a garage as possible" and will include first floor retail. 100 spaces would be reserved for residents of the building, the rest would be for Health Plan workers and other Downtown visitors.

The Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel Building:

The building from afar:

Location of the building: 1144 Market Street

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:38 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

That's great news.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:13 PM
somewhere in-between

Indeed. that's a handsome building for sure.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 7:27 PM

More Downtown Building Renovation:
Source: Weelunk

A Rayland resident, Dean Conners has invested nearly $500,000 so far in several Downtown Wheeling buildings. He is currently renovating them for office and retail space.

A historic Market Plaza building which now houses a popcorn shop and will have offices on the upper floors:

A new restaurant, Tacoholix has opened up at 1062 Market Street - across the street from both the Health Plan and Market Plaza. The building was fully renovated, and the restaurant's kitchen is in a food truck that is parked in the rear alleyway. This allows them to bring their kitchen to local events. The restaurant has a no TV rule, but does have a large array of board games and card games.

The inside of Tacoholix:

The City of Wheeling has been seeking developers for these four historic buildings on Main Street across from the Health Plan Headquarters. They are in bad shape, but it would be amazing to see them restored to their former glory:

The trolley line around Downtown has begun operation. It is meant to transfer Health Plan workers and other Downtown visitors between parking garages and their destination. Also, the city is working on making a plan for improving the Wheeling Heritage Port - some are calling for converting Water Street into a pedestrian only road.

The Wheeling Heritage Port park & trail as of now:

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:06 PM

Franciscan Square Phase One Completed (Steubenville):

So in this post, I'm going to stray away from Wheeling a bit. Today I am going to go over a big development in Steubenville - Franciscan Square. This mixed-use development is located on University Boulevard down the hill from the Franciscan University of Steubenville campus. The university bought up most of the previously undeveloped land on the south side of University Boulevard. The first phase of Franciscan Square is complete - it brought a new Best Western Plus hotel, two retail buildings, and small greenspace. A Bennigans is also being built and will open in July.

A rendering of phase one of Franciscan Square:

The new Best Western Plus: Inn at Franciscan Square:

This week, two restaurants opened in the square. Brooklyn Bagel on the Square serves coffee from La Prima (a Pittsburgh Strip District based coffee company) as well as bagels, bagel sandwiches, and more. Believe it or not, they are actually the first real coffee shop in the Steubenville area - needless to say I am excited that I now have more options that Tim Hortons when I'm in Steubenville. The second restaurant, Rubi's Pizza & Grill, is a new restaurant owned by the owners of the former Corrado's Pizza in the Fort Steuben Mall - They moved here and shut down their mall location due to the mall going through extremely rough times after losing two of their three anchor stores. The restaurant will be a casual restaurant for pizza, calzones, sandwiches, & more.

The exterior of Brooklyn Bagel on the Square:

The interior of Brooklyn Bagel:

Future phases include the Bennigans (as I mentioned before), office space, and possibly more retail depending on the demand. I visited the development and it looks nicer than expected. There are still 3 or 4 retail spaces open. I like how everything is centered around the central grass "square" area - I can see that being a neat gathering space in the summertime.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:
are actually the first real coffee shop in the Steubenville area
The university has (had?) a coffee shop across the street for years.
Back in the 90s, there was one downtown (I believe university alumni started it).

That said, the project is nice.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
The university has (had?) a coffee shop across the street for years.
Back in the 90s, there was one downtown (I believe university alumni started it).

That said, the project is nice.
Well I'm down there quite often and as far as I know, in at least the last few years there wasn't one. But, an independent coffee shop is opening up soon in Downtown and a Starbucks is coming to the Kroger's in Hollywood Plaza.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 12:43 AM

South Wheeling Applies for Historic District Status:

South Wheeling is a large neighborhood located south of I-470 along the Ohio River. City officials and residents are hoping to get the neighborhood recognized on the National Register of Historic Places. (Wheeling currently has 11 recognized historic districts). Only a small portion of the neighborhood would become a historic district under this proposal. The area is bordered by 35th, 39th, Jacob, and Water Streets. Eoff Street in particular is noted for its large stock of Victorian-era housing. Hopefully this leads to more investment in South Wheeling. It is definitely one of the less cared for neighborhoods in the city - though there has been a fair amount of affordable housing apartment developments and some are market rate.

Unfortunately, Wheeling doesn't have street view (crazy, right?) so here's a few meh-quality photos I found of South Wheeling:

A street in South Wheeling:

The Cooey-Bentz Co. Building:

A bar in South Wheeling:

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 3:24 AM

Market Street Lofts (East Liverpool):

A controversial new apartment development is almost complete in Downtown East Liverpool. Developed by the Miller Valentine Group, the project will bring 45 affordable housing units to Downtown. Originally, the project was supposed to have market-rate apartments, but I don't think that's the case anymore which is a bit of a shame. I could imagine that some younger people in East Liverpool may have been interested in renting an apartment here. Anyways, the controversial part is that in order to build the apartments, several historic buildings had to be demolished. Even though they were in bad shape, it's a shame to see them demolished - especially when there is a ton of surface parking around Downtown. East Liverpool really had a lot of beautiful historic buildings but most are gone because they usually don't have much regard for keeping them around. Amenities will include a fitness room, technology room, and a community room. Overall, I'm happy to see something modern come to Downtown East Liverpool. Market Street Lofts will open in early April and have an open house on March 22.

The buildings that were demolished:

A rendering of Market Street Lofts:

Recent photos of Market Street Lofts:

Honestly, I wish other valley towns did things like this. For example, Steubenville could really reinvent their downtown if they could get some quality apartment developments like this in addition to some renovations on historic buildings.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 9:10 PM

Wellsburg Bridge Begins Construction:

After two decades of planning, a new bridge between Wellsburg, WV and Brilliant, OH has broken ground. The $131 million project will be managed by Flatiron Construction and will be completed in mid-2021. In addition to the three lanes of vehicle travel, there will be at least one lane reserved for walking and biking use. This will allow the bridge to connect to the Brooke Pioneer Trail, which links Wellsburg with Wheeling.

A rendering of the bridge:

Construction will begin on the Ohio side of the river first. West Virginia is responsible for 65% of the funding and Ohio for 35%. I personally don't see why this bridge is necessary, especially since it will not cut down travel time between Steubenville and Wheeling. But, I hope it helps give some life to Wellsburg and Brilliant.

Another rendering of the bridge:

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 4:58 PM

nice pics... almost forgot about this town. looks nice.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 4:43 AM

Flatiron Building Renovations Nearing Completion:

The Flatiron Building in Downtown has been undergoing an extensive renovation by Wheeling resident Kevin Duffin. The first floor will house "The Flatiron" which will act as a deli, bakery, and cafe. The restaurant will have a large outdoor seating area along Nailers Way. The building was purchased for $105,000 and has had extensive renovations not only to the interior, but to the windows and exterior facade.

The exterior as of May 2018:

The second floor houses one large apartment. Floors 3-5 will have two apartments each.

A look inside one of the apartment units:

NIMBY Opposition to 2-Way Downtown Traffic Grows:

Mayor Glenn Elliott has been leading a proposal to transform the one way Main and Market Streets in Downtown into 2 way roads. He believes this will slow down traffic and help businesses and residents. That being said, a 500 signature proposal opposing the change has been complied. The complaint is that elderly residents already have a hard time crossing the road and will now have to look both ways () - Even the Planning Commissioner has said Elliott's 2 way traffic proposal has "no value whatsoever." A $45,000 study is in the works, but it is looking increasingly likely that the NIMBYs will win. Mayor Elliott has really been fighting on behalf of smart urban planning, but unfortunately the city isn't too receptive of it. A meeting will be held this coming Wednesday to discuss the results of the traffic study. While some councilmen seem open to the proposals, most are either against it or indifferent. Downtown developers meanwhile, such as the ones spending $20 million on the Wheeling Pitt Steel Building strongly support the proposal.

A NIMBY collecting signatures on the side of one of the one-way Downtown streets:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations