HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 5:56 PM

^^ Is this the site west of Shell Station and across the street from Opsal at Quebec? That would be a nice addition to the neighbourhood! We need more larger scale retail in this neighbourhood.

As for West Broadway between Main and Cambie, that stretch needs some updates. It's currently rather shabby.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
^^ Is this the site west of Shell Station and across the street from Opsal at Quebec? That would be a nice addition to the neighbourhood! We need more larger scale retail in this neighbourhood.

As for West Broadway between Main and Cambie, that stretch needs some updates. It's currently rather shabby.
The unfortunate thing with those blocks between main and cambie is that all of the properties are owned by various foreign and local investors. None of them want to sell in the hope that the other will crack and on top of that none of them want to spend any money on the buildings either so expect nothing to happen. It's rather unfortunate for that area but it will continue to be that way. The other interesting thing is that I would think this is somewhat of a strategic move for MEC as it will ultimately limit any sort of competition given the lack of retail space and considerably higher rents in that area of the OV.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
The unfortunate thing with those blocks between main and cambie is that all of the properties are owned by various foreign and local investors. None of them want to sell in the hope that the other will crack and on top of that none of them want to spend any money on the buildings either so expect nothing to happen. It's rather unfortunate for that area but it will continue to be that way. The other interesting thing is that I would think this is somewhat of a strategic move for MEC as it will ultimately limit any sort of competition given the lack of retail space and considerably higher rents in that area of the OV.
Just wait till the viewcones are abolished, that stretch will turn into "Wall Street".

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the authorities probably want steveston to remain "authentic" and be a fishing. boating, sailing identity place. The main drag still houses a number of "marine" based businesses, but i think its a dying sector unfortunately for steveston
Obviously you've never seen Steveston from the water-it's Canada's largest commercial harbour.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 10:41 PM

i have, most of the marine based businesses are off in the working sections near the docks, this onni is in the tourist village area, completely useless to marine based businesses.

and the amount of fishing vessels and such as been in deline for a couple decades now, nothing like back in its heyday

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
I posted this in the Olympic Village thread as well, but figured it could/should go in here as well. Pretty big news:

MEC is moving to the Olympic Village (area) at 2nd & Quebec.

The proposal would see a three-storey mixed-use green building of approximately 60,000 square feet developed at 2nd & Quebec. The co-op's proposal calls fror a retail store totalling 45,000 square feet on two levels. Office space on the third floor would include a mix of MEC and sublease spaces as well as a community space.

BCIMC recently took over ownership/management of the existing building at Broadway & Columbia and I imagine it will be redeveloped, but I have to say that this will put quite a dent in the outdoor sports related retail on West Broadway.
WOW - big news!

That should be a boost for retail in the area!
Now only if they'd have built some with sizable square footage!!

Not that keen on the design - but ultimately, it's a big box, so the clerestory windows add a green feature bringing in daylight.

I could see some sports stores creep up Main St. instead of into Olympic Village.

Now.... will there be any parking?

Last edited by officedweller; Oct 8, 2015 at 12:40 AM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
^^ Is this the site west of Shell Station and across the street from Opsal at Quebec?
Yes, it looks like the new MEC building will be on the northeast corner of 2nd and Quebec (I can tell from the Maple Leaf Self Storage sign in the rendering). Not much there right now, a few old low-rise commercial buildings including the Vancouver Playhouse theatre company's offices.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 5:24 AM

With the store being on 2 levels, it might feel much smaller than the existing store.
I wonder if it'll have an open mezzanine plan like REI stores do?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
With the store being on 2 levels, it might feel much smaller than the existing store.
I wonder if it'll have an open mezzanine plan like REI stores do?
The Calgary MEC is 2-levels, and I'd say it feels larger than the Broadway store. Huge ceilings and a large open area. All the gear is downstairs, all the clothing is upstairs.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 9:38 PM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
I posted this in the Olympic Village thread as well, but figured it could/should go in here as well. Pretty big news:

MEC is moving to the Olympic Village (area) at 2nd & Quebec.

The proposal would see a three-storey mixed-use green building of approximately 60,000 square feet developed at 2nd & Quebec. The co-op's proposal calls fror a retail store totalling 45,000 square feet on two levels. Office space on the third floor would include a mix of MEC and sublease spaces as well as a community space.

BCIMC recently took over ownership/management of the existing building at Broadway & Columbia and I imagine it will be redeveloped, but I have to say that this will put quite a dent in the outdoor sports related retail on West Broadway.
And will quite possibly be the death of many of the smaller outdoor retailers who likely received business when/if MEC customers couldn't find what they were looking for at the Co-Op.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 9:41 PM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
What I like about Steveston is the fact that there are no chain stores in the immediate town center. If Onni will have their way, we will have London Drugs, IGA, etc. the usual stores filling the waterfront and you lose the authenticity of the area. I guess some compromise can be made, but I hope the city stays put.
Onni thinking they could get around the zoning probably shot themselves in the foot. From memory, the spaces aren't exactly very large, which pretty average ceiling heights. And I don't recall any special garage bays or anything that many marine-related businesses might require.

Those sizing and access decisions would also preclude any major tenant such as a London Drugs, IGA, etc. to lease at that particular development.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrifice333 View Post
And will quite possibly be the death of many of the smaller outdoor retailers who likely received business when/if MEC customers couldn't find what they were looking for at the Co-Op.
this is somewhat true.

If they have deep pockets they may move down there or attempt to find space but that's unlikely simply put because the outdoor retail business is not overly profitable especially when competing with MEC.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
If they have deep pockets they may move down there or attempt to find space but that's unlikely simply put because the outdoor retail business is not overly profitable especially when competing with MEC.
"Not overly profitable", eh? There are plenty of stores out there that aren't MEC. In the metro, there are 7 Atmosphere stores, 14 Sport Cheks, countless bike and ski shops, etc... If they weren't profitable they wouldn't stick around.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 11:21 PM

How is MEC doing overall? Seems that they are throwing money around with all these new buildings... Are their financials solid? Online shopping is not hurting them as much as some other retail?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 11:34 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Not really sure how much the other stores in the neighbourhood were competition for MEC, I'd say the smaller shops benefitted from comparison shopping and the anchor-effect that MEC provided for the area. Agreed on the fractured ownership and not many owners willing to invest in the buildings. We previously owned the building where Dunbar Cycles is now, where we tried for at least a year to put an assembly together. Another problem in the neighbourhood is that the lots are very shallow (especially towards Cambie) which makes any underground parking beyond the 1st level quite tricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
WOW - big news!

That should be a boost for retail in the area!
Now only if they'd have built some with sizable square footage!!

Not that keen on the design - but ultimately, it's a big box, so the clerestory windows add a green feature bringing in daylight.

I could see some sports stores creep up Main St. instead of into Olympic Village.

Now.... will there be any parking?
MEC has stated on their facebook page that there will be underground parking. As for the square footage, MEC had been looking for a site for quite a long time and I actually thought there were going to take less space than this. As a customer I am very glad they didn't. I find their North Van store too small, and their Broadway store always seems to be packed to the gills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrifice333 View Post
Totally agree with this. Will be really interesting to see what happens in the neighbourhood. I wonder if some shops may relocate around West 4th (although I'm sure the rent is much higher).

Quote:
How is MEC doing overall? Seems that they are throwing money around with all these new buildings... Are their financials solid? Online shopping is not hurting them as much as some other retail?
I think they are doing quite well. While I thought their re-branding exercise was a bit of a waste of money I think it has turned out very well for them. They totally overhauled their website with it and offer a pretty great online experience now. I'm sure they grab a fair chunk of the online market, especially now that the CAD/USD exchange is around $0.75 instead of $0.90. I also believe that they have a corporate mandate to be located in LEED certified buildings now, hence all of the new construction.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Well is MEC the one throwing money around with the OV building? Or are they just a tenant? I believe that this is Beedie owned land and perhaps Beedie is building the purpose built building for MEC and MEC will be the tenant? Or is MEC buying the finished building from Beedie? MEC's lease is up in the next few years for their existing location - as the new owner, Reliance is looking to redevelop the Broadway site.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 5:09 PM

"On October 15th, Park Royal is celebrating the completion of our newly expanded west wing in Park Royal South as well as the Grand Opening of B.C's very first Simons store, a Canadian destination for fashion and home décor."
http://www.shopparkroyal.com/node/1830

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 4:55 AM

Is it at all possible that this new MEC location on 2nd Avenue is only temporary, and that they plan to eventually return to Broadway, once the redevelopment of their current location is complete? I know it seems like a lot of money to be spending on a "temporary" building, but I just don't understand why Beedie would decide against developing the site with condos. They could have easily have built a large store with condos above, no?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanK View Post
Well is MEC the one throwing money around with the OV building? Or are they just a tenant? I believe that this is Beedie owned land and perhaps Beedie is building the purpose built building for MEC and MEC will be the tenant? Or is MEC buying the finished building from Beedie? MEC's lease is up in the next few years for their existing location - as the new owner, Reliance is looking to redevelop the Broadway site.
I read somewhere that MEC is just a tenant in Beedie's building.

Yeah, it is a bit odd the space is being developed with just retail space - but it's hard to build big box retail on a small site with the elevator core and support columns for a condo tower above.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 9:57 PM

Just saw an ad in Metro (I think) -

Harveys Furniture and Appliances on Kingsway is going out of business - after 88 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy