HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 6:57 AM

i am not a big fan of middle eastern food anyway no loss for me

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
Vancouver is paradise for coffee and gelato, its best sushi is the best on this continent, and there are some amazing bakeries there.

But I have to aver that Toronto is better in the food diversity realm. I have yet to find a decent shawarma or pizza slice in Vancouver, and believe me, I've tried, but what's good in Vancouver is very, very good indeed.
Really? Couldn't find decent pizza in Vancouver? I won't disagree on shawarma, (aka donair/gyro for the questioning guy) but pizza?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 7:37 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
Goes to show Vanners don't have the whole world covered.

Let's not get so smug.
There are at least 17 Middle Eastern restaurants in Vancouver. I'm sure someone makes shwarma.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 8:06 AM
Community Guy

go to commercial drive, plenty of shwarmas avail and GOOD PIZZA.....

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 8:57 AM

Go to Surrey for the east indian food...

Anyways regarding Vancouver food i have heared from many many seemingly unbiased articles, shows, etc which say that Vancouver is one the best places to eat in NA and the world. Personaly I havent been to every city out there but from my own experiences im yet to find any beter place than Vancouver. Sure there are less caribean and mexican restaurants out here but no offence mexian and caribean food is nothing to generarly get to excited about, not saying its bad but its rather limited in its potential to start of with.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 11:11 AM

I've had good Shawarmas and Pizza in Van, though there are a lot of cheap places that are under par, but that's why they're cheap.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 6:07 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by renthefinn View Post
I've had good Shawarmas and Pizza in Van, though there are a lot of cheap places that are under par, but that's why they're cheap.
The only good shawarma is cheap.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 5:04 AM

I wonder what people consider good sushi is... cause generally, when I get reviews, they're about crappy sushi places that uses farmed salmon. If you can't tell the difference no loss for you, but for me it can be pretty gross and usually too fatty for my likeing...

That and I doubt non asian people have the good fortune to stumble in to the good asian restaurants. They usually don't get much exposure for casual diners and either that they may be intimidating for people who can't speak or read the language, as english descriptions can be rather plain... IE. Baked Pork Chop...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 6:22 AM

^Unless you like different cultures. I've had some great sushi in the least advertised places. Fatty food is bad for me, don't get me wrong, I often don't try to avoid it, but it's great when I can find the satisfaction of eating meat that has little to no fat, it's an indulgant experience. I'm not asian, but I love asian cuisine, my daughter is half asian though so maybe I've got some experience other whitey honkey's around here haven't experienced. From my experience though most urban Whitey Honkey's, like you're implying, have diverse tastes and will try a lot of things. We're not all hicks from the backwoods of kentucky!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 10:36 AM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggrab
That and I doubt non asian people have the good fortune to stumble in to the good asian restaurants. They usually don't get much exposure for casual diners and either that they may be intimidating for people who can't speak or read the language, as english descriptions can be rather plain... IE. Baked Pork Chop...
It's true, especially for Chinese restaurants. The best restaurants never cater to non-Chinese, which means you'll need someone who can read Chinese if you want to eat well.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
It's true, especially for Chinese restaurants. The best restaurants never cater to non-Chinese, which means you'll need someone who can read Chinese if you want to eat well.
Just try and learn to recognize their symbol for cat and dog if you're ever looking through their menus.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 11:36 PM

some guy i work with was in vietnam in '06 and he tried dog - he said it tasted like pork

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 5:59 AM

It's worth learning Cantonese food names just to ensure you'll be able to get what you like in HK style restaurants... go with chinese people to be sure!

Amen to expensive goddamned food in Calgary. Sure, there's some great food to be found but so much of it is for greasy oilpatch boys with their corporate accounts -- far too expensive for what you're getting these days.

Eating seems extreme in Vancouver -- either the food's fantastic, or completely pathetic. Why is this?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 6:49 AM
Yellow Fever

Actually, I have yet to find a really bad restaurant in metro Vancouver. Most of the restaurants here are pretty good in my opinion. Few years ago I went to a Chinese wonton house in San Francisco's China town and the noodle soup I had taste like shit.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining