HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 1:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I suspect that the rent at the TWC would be higher than it would be at 2 WTC.
Do you think its the stigma of the whole WTC site due to its past? And I say this because I have heard of people refusing to even walk into 1 WTC for example due to the security nature.

Lets just say DB does choose TWC @ a higher rent, it kinda raises some questions on why. Given that tenants tend to prefer cheaper $/sqft.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 3:07 PM
BANNED

I don't think so. Downtown, and the WTC in particular, is beautiful. I attribute this to Related, the HY, and Larry.

This will rise.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 11:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Do you think its the stigma of the whole WTC site due to its past? And I say this because I have heard of people refusing to even walk into 1 WTC for example due to the security nature.
Here we go with that again. There's no stigma. Of course there will be people who say they don't want to work there. Those same people wouldn't want to work up that high anywhere else. They tend to think of everything as a target, and are generally afraid of things. The other towers at the WTC site are drawing tenants. The WTC space has always and will continue to take time to fill. It's been proven, and the lesson was learned, which is why these towers were supposed to be staggered in the first place.

Quote:
I don't think so. Downtown, and the WTC in particular, is beautiful. I attribute this to Related, the HY, and Larry.

This will rise.
There are other office towers they could look at. There's the Spiral, 3 Hudson, Manhattan West, etc. They will either move into a new tower, or move into a "sort of" new tower. TWC isn't dated, it's just not currently top of the market space.

JANUARY 27, 2018

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 28, 2018 at 5:24 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 2:58 PM
BANNED

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that Larry gets DB.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:22 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that Larry gets DB.
The current news on JP is not good for 2 WTC. Guess DB is really the only viable hope at this point.

Well, here's to hoping the site is sold and out of Silverstien's hands.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:36 PM
BANNED

Yeah, but Chase never indicated it would go downtown. Many of its employees probably live in Westchester and Connecticut.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
The current news on JP is not good for 2 WTC. Guess DB is really the only viable hope at this point.

Well, here's to hoping the site is sold and out of Silverstien's hands.

Silverstein isn't selling this site, and even if he did, it would still remain Downtown. New York is not a city where the choice is this site or nothing, even given how large the WTC is. Never in its history did the WTC fill up with tenants this soon, and I wouldn't expect it to now. It's being built to demand, however long that takes. It's not as if NY will run out of tenants. This is one of the only large scale office construction sites Downtown. It will get built.

It the meantime, our hands are more than full with everything else going on, so everyone should have patience. The 3rd tower is finishing up, a remarkable achievement considering there were many who thought nothing would or should get built here at all.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:39 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

That said, perhaps when the majority of the supertalls in and around the Yards is complete, that magic anchor tenant waiting on the sidelines to pounce will step forward.
So my prediction is the Big Announcement will coincide more or less with the first public renders for HY ph2's tower #1...Or earlier, I hope.

...but maybe by mid-summer.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 12:16 AM

"Ok first off, DB is highly unpredictable. During the meeting they showed a lot of interest in T2. However, they showed the same interest during Columbus Circle meeting. Key take-aways:

Why in the world would a trading/financial company go to retail circle? Apparently it’s ‘sexy’ for the millennials.

Some might want to stop reading right about now, BIG is shrinking out of the picture (get it). Don’t get too excited Foster fans, we have a re-design coming soon and it wont be pretty from what I heard. Foster will be the architect on record. BIG was brought in because of 21st Century Fox, so if DB signs the deal then they will try to save cost by going with Foster’s foundation and a re-designed, diamond-less top.

Last but not least, Larry is pushing hard to get T2 rocking and rolling as soon as possible. With that being said expect news and confirmation on where DB will go within a month. Watch them pull a plot twist and extend their lease on Pine street.
A lot can change but this is what I have so far. Let’s pray for something good.

That’s enough to keep everyone up tonight." -Farhan_Bassim on Yimby Forums

My vision:

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 12:27 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Yeah I think we all had an eerie feeling of the potential for value engineering. Would make sense given that this site is a giant money pit.

Would be a slap in the face if they built the Foster design but without the amazing crown. 200 Greenwich is nothing but disappointment.

It's like the Jinx from the Bronx Tale. "Put him in the bathroom".

But here's to hoping. If the insider information is on target, we will either be disappointed or ecstatic in a month.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 12:34 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

On the plus, given that meeting, I guess for some there is relief that the BIG design is pretty much dead IF DB signs the deal per the insider info.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:21 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

No diamond motif, no big loss.

But if DB doesn't sign, Bjarke's model is still in play, I would think. I don't really think his design was absolutely contingent upon 21st scoring the anchor tenancy.

Last thing anyone needs right now is for a curve-ball group to sign and make the kind of floor-space demands that will force a third round of drawing board activity.

This cliffhanger has to end at some point.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:26 AM
BANNED

I highly doubt that Foster's tower will have it's diamonds lopped off.

The foundation is built for the original Foster design. Constructing that , as is, is the most efficient and economical route.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 3:10 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

If the intention in terms of light reflecting into the pools is still on the table, I do hope they retain it. For the sake of the engineering that went into the design for symbolism purposes. Any sort of redesign that doesn't fit in with the original plan for the site would be insulting. Even 1 WTC, its design, the way it looks from certain angles (the infinity perspective, where it tapers off like if its never ending), was intentional. There has been enough bastardizing of the complex (1 WTC spire, 3 WTC cross bracing).

I hope it stays JMKeynes!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 3:36 AM

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 3:59 AM
BANNED

Let's not get carried away with redesigns. I'm confident that we will see the original Foster if DB goes there.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:00 PM

Other than the smaller buildings, this complex is turning into a bunch of glassy blandness. Very unfortunate especially for how much time they've had to develop interesting skyscrapers. Oh well. At least there's exciting stuff going on elsewhere in the city.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:30 PM
BANNED

Anyone who's actually been to the site would not call it bland. 1, 3, and 4 WTC are stunning.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 6:45 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

As an aside:

If anything, the smaller buildings have caused a lot of the headaches for the development of this complex.

Calatrava left his baggage with an insanely overpriced Transit Hub that took forever to complete, plus a "shrine" that has ceased construction indefinitely because the religious body that proposed it took the funds earmarked for it and did who knows what...That's a clusterfutz of its own.

And then you have the Performing Arts Center saga, too convoluted to go into here.

As for this tower, IMO there's no guarantee that if LNF comes back on board that we'll even see the same design as before.

Why? Remember when the renders for the Four were first released in--what?--'07? They all came out IIRC simultaneously, i.e. they were designed as a contiguous assemblage.

Fast forward to now, with 175G having taken the biggest hit value-engineeringwise, the purpose of having the diamond crown would destroy precisely what the original design for 175G meant to convey:

IOW: 175G (X-bracing and the quad spires)>200G (Quad diamonds).

With that formula essentially dead (I would think), LNF can choose to top 200 another way...maybe an upward-sloping roof/crown/set of fins to point to WTC1's "spantenna".

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Anyone who's actually been to the site would not call it bland. 1, 3, and 4 WTC are stunning.
I have been to the site, and I am inclined to agree with this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction