HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 2:36 PM

On Facebook, Moncton Newschasers are reporting that Cabela's are closing up shop. Apparently they might already be closed. According to them, people have already been layed off... We'll wait and see for an official announcement.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:04 PM

There is a very official-looking news release floating around on the interwebz this morning saying they are done.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Seems very abrupt, but is likely true.

We all sort of suspected this might happen once BPS made their announcement on coming to the city (nearly concurrently with Cabela's opening). The market isn't large enough to sustain both businesses.

Compound that by BPS purchasing the Cabela's chain last year, and by Cabela's getting ready to open their new store in Halifax soon, and I guess this unfortunate news shouldn't be too surprising.

This will be a very bad year for the Mapleton Road retail district with Cabela's closing and Costco moving to Elmwood......

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:31 PM

Per CBC: Cabela's closes Moncton store
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
There is a very official-looking news release floating around on the interwebz this morning saying they are done.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:50 PM

How close is Halifax's store to opening? With such a sudden closure I suspect the stock is going to be shipped to another store and/or to BSP, instead of a store closing sale.

Hopefully someone else can take over the store fairly quick. The store design might be a bit awkward for someone else to move in without major renos, but the highway profile will probably make it fairly attractive.

*Edit* Wow that was quick. When the rumours first started, I googled Moncton Cabelas and the site was still live. Now it is dead

*Edit* On the FB Talk page, it seems Cabelas will open tomorrow until the 29th of March. Probably for the store closing sales.

For people who follow Retail Comic, the current story arc of comics is rather apropos for Cabelas.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
How close is Halifax's store to opening? With such a sudden closure I suspect the stock is going to be shipped to another store and/or to BSP, instead of a store closing sale.

Hopefully someone else can take over the store fairly quick. The store design might be a bit awkward for someone else to move in without major renos, but the highway profile will probably make it fairly attractive.

*Edit* Wow that was quick. When the rumours first started, I googled Moncton Cabelas and the site was still live. Now it is dead
From the talk on the Moncton News Chasers FB site, there will be no clearance sale at the Moncton Cabela's, and the stock is going to be sent to Halifax to be used to open their store.

If true, then this sorta stinks. I suspect that when BPS bought out Cabela's (last year), they made the decision at that time to close the Moncton store (there are virtually no markets in North America with both Cabela's and BPS). With the new Cabela's coming on line in Halifax, they probably made the decision at that time to just keep the Moncton store operating until the Halifax store opened, just to use it as a stock repository.

In essence, the Moncton Cabela's store has been a "dead man walking" ever since BPS bought them out. To close without warning as they have done is a pretty low blow for the staff of the Moncton Cabela's...........

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 12:50 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I think this message says it all:

There wasn't room in Moncton for both Cabela's & BPS once the two chains merged........

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 3:16 PM

So... Does Cabela's Crescent become "Princess Auto Crescent"?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 3:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
So... Does Cabela's Crescent become "Princess Auto Crescent"?
I prefer "Ultramar Way" myself........

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:01 PM

It would be cool if Ikea would open one of their smaller locations there, especially since their current pick up location is across the street.

Hard to think of what else could go there...

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:30 PM

Cripes David_99 and MonctonRad, my friends and I had this exact conversation last night, word for word LOL!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 1:17 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

It can join the ranks of Sears Street and Hubert Street in SJ, named after businesses that are no longer there.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
It can join the ranks of Sears Street and Hubert Street in SJ, named after businesses that are no longer there.
Don't forget Consumers Drive...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 11:47 AM

Another one bites the dust

Pannizza at the Needs on Morton Avenue has closed it's doors for the last time. The co owner of Pannizza Restaurants of Atlantic Canadda admits they had over estimated the location, and amount of bussiness they woul be getting, or lack there of.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 12:54 PM

Went there once and found it expensive. With the competition across the street now at McLaughlin Place, not surprised they closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Pannizza at the Needs on Morton Avenue has closed it's doors for the last time. The co owner of Pannizza Restaurants of Atlantic Canadda admits they had over estimated the location, and amount of bussiness they woul be getting, or lack there of.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Looks like they're unloading merchandise at the new Structube store at the Mapleton Centre. I think the store opening is sometime in March.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Is it just me or are there a lot of business closures in Moncton lately?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenike View Post
Is it just me or are there a lot of business closures in Moncton lately?
Its seasonal. They shut down after Christmas and will pop back up in the summer.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 1:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another Quebec based retailer is planning on testing the waters in English Canada.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...a932-113727169

Aubainerie a Quebec-based family-oriented clothing company is planning to open their first non-Quebec store in the Place d'Orleans Shopping Centre in Ottawa soon. They chose this location because of Ottawa's proximity to Quebec and the bilingual profile of the community. If this is an important factor for this company to decide on new locations, it would seem that this would mean Moncton (Dieppe) should be high on their radar.

They are planning on branding their non-Quebec stores as AUB44. They are doing this because they seem to feel that anglophones won't be able to pronounce Aubainerie properly. I don't know whether to feel insulted or not.......

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 1:47 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

They are planning on branding their non-Quebec stores as AUB44. They are doing this because they seem to feel that anglophones won't be able to pronounce Aubainerie properly. I don't know whether to feel insulted or not.......
How do you pronounce Aub? English is Ahwb like autumn, French is OhB like auberge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVPD85sgeIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSd2eRMBo5U

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces