HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 5:32 AM

I don't think the northern section will go ahead due to Western. the maximum number of buses they will allow thru the campus per hour is ridiculously low and will not offer the speed and frequency that will be required.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 4:06 PM

Anyone interested in transit can see in black-and-white now how poor the decision to use Wharncliffe is. Firstly, it’s in mixed traffic. Even just a kilometre of that between Riverside and Oxford could have a significant impact on speed and, more importantly, reliability.

Secondly, the Queens Ave Bridge will get transit lanes at the expense of the bike lanes, and one of the sidewalks. Who thinks it’s okay to have sidewalk on only one side of one of the two main bridges entering downtown?

Running only westbound buses in dedicated lanes on Oxford somehow seems to be the worst. That says it all to me: halfway is supposed to be good enough.

They shouldn’t be allowed to call this BRT. BRT can be great, but too many municipalities come up with plans like this, and have the gall to use the term. What’s proposed are two bus lines that run in dedicated lanes for some but not all of their routes. London will still have the construction headaches, but the end result will be a lot less useful.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 5:31 PM

So it seems like BRT is shitting the bed too.
No LRT, no relocating the railway lines, High speed train is an election bs.
What a joke, how does London go forward then?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 6:26 PM

The answer to the question could be that London doesn’t go forward.

There’s a lot positive going on in London- a number of exciting proposals downtown, and the Fanshawe move downtown, which could be a very big deal. But the two biggest institutions in the city- the university and the municipality itself- have throughout the shift process to shown themselves to be highly regressive.

The business community has largely shown itself to be regressive, too- including owners of businesses downtown with relatively large student clienteles. It’s a bad sign that the Downtown BIA (or maybe just a number of members of it?) do not want significant spending on infrastructure downtown.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 6:34 PM
User Registered

Sigh, it's either this or nothing. We can always patch the gaps later on too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
should be called shaftlondon, as they took the usual, mediocre route. I am not voting for baldy again.
Paul Cheng is likely running again. He could win. Make London Great Again

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 6:56 PM

Maybe Paul Cheng will keep his dink in his pants.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I don't think the northern section will go ahead due to Western. the maximum number of buses they will allow thru the campus per hour is ridiculously low and will not offer the speed and frequency that will be required.
I think what will happen is that the BRT line will simply bypass the campus altogether, with maybe one stop along Richmond Street near the campus gates.

I say let the university administration deal with all the angry students who want easy access to public transit and can't get it because the university administration want restrictions on the number of busses per hour on campus, thus effectively negating the benefits of BRT not just for students, but all of London. That'll teach them not to be so obstructive and restrictive.

I really think campus admins are being complete idiots here. They seriously need to get a clue.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 6:19 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Sigh, it's either this or nothing. We can always patch the gaps later on too.

Paul Cheng is likely running again. He could win. Make London Great Again

I won't vote for that turkey either. A mike harris disciple. Run government like a business bullshittery.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I won't vote for that turkey either. A mike harris disciple. Run government like a business bullshittery.
Harper tried to do the same thing and failed, miserably. One of the things he did in an attempt to transform government into a business entity was to require the payroll department start paying employees two weeks in arrears, just like the business world does.

In order to achieve that aim, the Phoenix pay system was implemented, although in fairness, it was the Liberals, not the Conservatives who gave the green light to letting the system go live. Anyone who has been paying close attention to the news over the last year or so knows what a disaster Phoenix has turned out to be.

Governments aren't designed to work like businesses do, as they are not (and should not be) profit-making institutions. Their job is to enact and enforce laws for the benefit of all citizens, provide for national defence and security, provide services for the benefit of citizens and generally manage the country's affairs.

There's faction within the neoconservative camp that thinks government is necessarily bad and wasteful and should be done away with posthaste, or drastically minimized in scale and scope. One reason why the members of this faction think this way is that governments usually prevent neoconservatives from running roughshod over others in their slavish quest for profits and power.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 5:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^good post.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 10:49 PM

There is plenty of blame to spread around. As with most government procurement projects they almost always fail and at every level. Feds, Prov, Municipal. Procurement in IT is probably the worst with the best being buying pencils, paper and loads of gravel. But even that has many examples of failure. $500 pencil sharpeners ring any bells in the education sector?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...-ibm-1.3770947

To paint this as a left vs right wing problem is wrong because as the root cause is in the nature of procurement.

Procurement should be thrown away and re-thought completely. It is an epic failure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo26 View Post
Harper tried to do the same thing and failed, miserably. One of the things he did in an attempt to transform government into a business entity was to require the payroll department start paying employees two weeks in arrears, just like the business world does.

In order to achieve that aim, the Phoenix pay system was implemented, although in fairness, it was the Liberals, not the Conservatives who gave the green light to letting the system go live. Anyone who has been paying close attention to the news over the last year or so knows what a disaster Phoenix has turned out to be.

Governments aren't designed to work like businesses do, as they are not (and should not be) profit-making institutions. Their job is to enact and enforce laws for the benefit of all citizens, provide for national defence and security, provide services for the benefit of citizens and generally manage the country's affairs.

There's faction within the neoconservative camp that thinks government is necessarily bad and wasteful and should be done away with posthaste, or drastically minimized in scale and scope. One reason why the members of this faction think this way is that governments usually prevent neoconservatives from running roughshod over others in their slavish quest for profits and power.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:27 PM

It would be humorous, to me, if Western had to deal with angry students not getting BRT through campus. I still hope that route happens. But if it doesn't, I just hope it goes straight up Richmond.

That routing was long forgotten since LRT came to the table nearly 2 years ago. Phil Squire brought it up once again at the May 15 SPPC meeting (meeting to approve the routes) saying, "What are you going to do if you can't go through campus? Put it further into my ward?"

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 6:36 PM

Western University is a big Asshole to the City and its residents!

University students do not care about politics. They worry about their grades and partying. They plainly do not care about anything. The city has to make their own move here and not listen to Western. Western is within the city limits after all, not the other way around. Who is Western to dictate to the city how to run their business? Western is there to serve the city not the other way around.

Wait is it September yet, wait for the three weeks of loud music coming out of the Western campus that disturbs all surrounding neighborhoods within 5 km radius with boom boom boom all night long. Who do they think they are to tell us that only so many buses per hour are allowed to go through? Who lives in a glass house should not be throwing stones!

The City should grow a pair of balls and make a decision themselves.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupcheck View Post
The City should grow a pair of balls and make a decision themselves.
We do not always agree but this I support 100%.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 5:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Western is there to serve the city not the other way around.
I can guarantee you that 99% of the Western Faculty would not see things this way.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 10:01 PM

It's too bad LRT/BRT was ruined by all these bitching nimbys who think this is the worst thing to happen to London and is 'not needed' (mainly because the people against it have cars so who cares about the rest of the city right?). I hope we just end up getting something, because with elections coming up next year, we could possibly see this project get scrapped, and I can see this being a hot topic issue next election.

But, speaking on that note, I hope we can get a council that has a set of balls and tells places like Western and shit who runs this city.

Last edited by tyeman200; Aug 12, 2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: adding on

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 5:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It is always a case of "we got ours so fuck ya's" (downshift) versus those that have a stake in seeing this city realize its potential. We are so far from it now.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 9:43 PM

The millions just spent rebuilding Dundas St between Quebec and Kelloggs plant and merely adding 5ft of width for one bike lane only to have to dig it all up again in a couple of years to widened it for BRT lanes is a sign of the epic lack of vision and planning we have at city hall.

If these are the folks planning BRT then concerned we should all be.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 5:28 PM

So where are we with shift? What is next?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 10:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

well, they shifted down, as per the course.

Of course I was going to be disappointed. London, you know.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure