HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The Brooklyn Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 5:36 PM
DENNAB

Am I right to worry about the slow progress of this? (And maybe 45 Broad street?)

It could be nothing but just asking.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 2:55 PM
(the rascacielo freak)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Am I right to worry about the slow progress of this? (And maybe 45 Broad street?)

It could be nothing but just asking.

All of the site demo is done, the foundation caissons are being drilled. If all of the below surface work was visible, one would realize how substantial the work progress has been thus far. It's a relatively constrained site, I'm actually a little surprised they have more than one caisson rig working. Progress is being made.

To answer your question: No.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 4:30 PM

If you recall, 111 West 57th took a very long time to get off the ground even though it didn't have significant excavation. The caisson work is important and time consuming. I think its the same for 45 Broad and 9 DeKalb.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 8:32 PM
Ω

I believe the bank at the base of this tower was featured in the second season of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 9:39 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: bkhights

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That is one of the nice elements, plus you'll be looking up at the tower. I wonder if that pool will be accessible to the residents of the "affordable" units, which this tower will have a lot of.
What can I possibly do up to and including removing a limb from my own body to get into one of those affordable units?

Rise, tower, rise!!!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 9:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
What can I possibly do up to and including removing a limb from my own body to get into one of those affordable units?

Rise, tower, rise!!!
Probably easier than the housing lottery, and with better odds.... just wait until this is finished, and just scope out the place once complete. Find a female who lives there, and ask her out on a date. If all goes well, you will get into one of those affordable units.

Much betters odds of doing so than going through the housing lottery.

Plus you'll need your limbs for the date, so I don't advocate self mutilation by ripping them off. Work smarter, not bloodier.

If the relationship works, you might get married, and live there full time.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 2:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Probably easier than the housing lottery, and with better odds.... just wait until this is finished, and just scope out the place once complete. Find a female who lives there, and ask her out on a date. If all goes well, you will get into one of those affordable units.

If the relationship works, you might get married, and live there full time.
Depends though, if you get married, you may or may not price yourself out of that affordable unit.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 6:48 PM

Progress on 9 dekalb continues !!!!

SLOW BUT STEADY WINS THE RACE FOR THIS ICONIC BUILDING IN DOWNTOWN BROOKLYN. Just pray that Trump doesn't tweet something about this project for some reason that alters or delays PROGRESS....JUST KIDDING.....STORY COURTESY OF NEW YORK YIMBY....HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!

https://newyorkyimby.com/2018/12/exc...-brooklyn.html

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 10:56 PM

Mid 2019 sure seems like a long time for just excavation work.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 12:46 AM

This seems to be not unusual. 125 Greenwich for example many months of pics showing only excavation equipment in a hole. Same with Virgin Hotel on Broadway. Didn't get to street level for ages.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 5:03 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.6sqft.com/from-brooklyns...-savings-bank/

From Brooklyn’s biggest bank to its tallest building: Behind the scenes at the Dime Savings Bank

JANUARY 7, 2019
BY LUCIE LEVINE

Quote:
Since it opened in 1859, the Dime Savings Bank of Brooklyn has been integral to the history of the borough it calls home. True to its name, you could open a savings account
with just a dime. The first person to make a deposit was a man named John Halsey who invested $50. Scores of Brooklynites followed suit, and by the end of the bank’s first business day,
90 people opened accounts; by the end of the first month, more than 1,000 people were depositing at Dime.

But the bank cemented its prominent status in 1908 when the first subway tunnel between Manhattan and Brooklyn opened and Dime moved into its grand neo-classical building
on Dekalb Avenue and Fleet Street. After the bank closed in 2002, the landmark still stood in all its former glory, operating as a special event space. Three years ago, JDS Development
filed plans to build Brooklyn’s tallest tower adjacent to Dime, incorporating its Beaux-Arts interior as retail space for the project. And with work now underway, 6sqft recently
got a behind-the-scenes tour of Dime Savings Bank with Open House New York.

Today, 9 Dekalb (340 Flatbush Avenue Extension), the mixed-use structure by SHoP Architects that will rise to 1,066 feet, represents the future of the site. The tower will be
the tallest in Brooklyn and the first in the borough to cap 1,000 feet. It will be fused to the landmarked bank, converting what had been a savings institution into a space meant for retail.

All told, the space will sport 417 rental apartments, twenty percent of which will be affordable, and 92,694 square feet of commercial space.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 6:08 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

What language is that?

Can you imagine the reaction to such ostentatious loftiness if a bank installed such a thing in today's contemporariness? And marble on top of that. Boy times sure have changed. For the better?...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 6:30 PM
BANNED

What a room. Simply gorgeous. As someone mentioned before, this lobby was used in a banking scene in the 2nd season of the show Marvelous Ms Maisel.

I am curious how this lobby will be used as a retail space. I say the only things that can be sold here are top hats, cigars, a tailor, etc. Keep it old school, like the marvelous Modnadnock Building in Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 6:40 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
What a room. Simply gorgeous. As someone mentioned before, this lobby was used in a banking scene in the 2nd season of the show Marvelous Ms Maisel.

I am curious how this lobby will be used as a retail space. I say the only things that can be sold here are top hats, cigars, a tailor, etc. Keep it old school, like the marvelous Modnadnock Building in Chicago.

or a fancy grocery, like the similar and also marvelous old cleveland trust bank

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 1:25 AM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
or a fancy grocery, like the similar and also marvelous old cleveland trust bank
There's a beautiful old bank in Chicago (At Milwaukee and Damen) that's now a Walgreens. It actually looks very similar to 9 Dekalb. Here's a pic.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
There's a beautiful old bank in Chicago (At Milwaukee and Damen) that's now a Walgreens. It actually looks very similar to 9 Dekalb. Here's a pic.
Probably the nicest Walgreens I've ever been in...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 3:14 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
What language is that?

Can you imagine the reaction to such ostentatious loftiness if a bank installed such a thing in today's contemporariness? And marble on top of that. Boy times sure have changed. For the better?...
Yeah, these are the buildings that make you appreciate landmarking. It's great that they are being incorporated into new use. And such classy towers to go along with them.

http://www.winick.com/9-dekalb-avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post

Steinway Hall at 111 W. 57th Street, another landmark, is also supposed to be used for retail...

http://www.jonathanwallen.com/books/...nway-Hall-copy

http://sideways.nyc/2014/11/steinway-hall/

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 4:07 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post

yep i am familiar with that one.

and many other examples -- in fact there are two converted beautiful old banks right on my neighborhood intersection, one is currently a cvs drugstore and the other is residential/a tourist museum for kids.

i've also seen others converted into restaurants and the like.

these old bank structures are usually just too historic and beautiful to let sit idle for long.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 6:24 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsi6aDmBQQW/

Quote:
Did you spot the #dimesavingsbankofbrooklyn in this season of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel? “It’s so open, so flaunting, so gentile”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture