HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but a demolition notice went up on 151 Metcalfe, the London Arms apartment building. According to the proposal summary, the degraded physical condition is the rationale being used for demolition. No immediate use for the site, but it will be prepared to be "construction-ready for future development."

In the interim, the site will be partially fenced and partially landscaped with seating / greenery.
Is the condition so bad they would forego rental revenue for however long it takes to get a new development approved by council?

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:38 PM

a substantial much needed project:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...onde-1.4098806

Ottawa to get new jail, province announces
No timeline yet on when jail will be built, and no word on where
CBC News Posted: May 04, 2017 9:59 AM ET Last Updated: May 04, 2017 10:32 AM ET

Marie-France Lalonde, Ontario's corrections minister, announced Thursday that Ottawa is getting a new jail.

The announcement was made Thursday morning by Marie-France Lalonde, Ontario's minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services.

There is no timeline for when the jail — which will have 725 beds — will be built, and no word yet on where. It's being billed as a "multi-purpose correctional centre."

"This investment will increase capacity and reduce overcrowding," she said.

Announcement follows segregation report

Lalonde's announcement came just after the presentation of a report on segregation by Howard Sapers, Ontario's independent advisor on corrections reform, which made 63 recommendations to reduce the use of segregation and increase accountability surrounding it.

The report recommends that solitary confinement be used on an inmate for no longer than 15 consecutive days. Cumulatively, it should not be used for more than 60 days, and that should be allowed only in extreme cases where an extensive review has occurred. It should never be used on an indefinite basis, he added.

Sapers told reporters he's pleased with the government's initial response to his findings.

Lalonde said the province is "committed" to each of the recommendations as correctional reform continues.

"I will say right now that we need to do better," she said, adding that a significant amount of work needs to be done.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 4:22 PM

Word going around the rumour mill is that they are going to make POW from Hunt club to barrhaven 4 lanes sometime this summer

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Word going around the rumour mill is that they are going to make POW from Hunt club to barrhaven 4 lanes sometime this summer
Pretty sure they are not widening it but replacing the pavement, adding turn lanes and fixing intersections.
The project is called "Prince of Wales Drive Coordinated Network Modifications project". For some reason there is nothing on the city website but here's some stuff here:

http://michaelqaqish.com/prince-of-w...tions-project/

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but a demolition notice went up on 151 Metcalfe, the London Arms apartment building. According to the proposal summary, the degraded physical condition is the rationale being used for demolition. No immediate use for the site, but it will be prepared to be "construction-ready for future development."

In the interim, the site will be partially fenced and partially landscaped with seating / greenery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
Is the condition so bad they would forego rental revenue for however long it takes to get a new development approved by council?
Development application:http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__AJG96O

Building Condition report
http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...05-17-0004.PDF

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Pretty sure they are not widening it but replacing the pavement, adding turn lanes and fixing intersections.
The project is called "Prince of Wales Drive Coordinated Network Modifications project". For some reason there is nothing on the city website but here's some stuff here:

http://michaelqaqish.com/prince-of-w...tions-project/
Correct. They are not widening POW to four lanes unfortunately.
Link to City's website with project info:
LINK

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Correct. They are not widening POW to four lanes unfortunately.
Link to City's website with project info:
LINK
On paper they are "Multi Use Pathways" but in reality they are just giant 3m wide paved shoulders reserved for future road widening

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
On paper they are "Multi Use Pathways" but in reality they are just giant 3m wide paved shoulders reserved for future road widening

If they installed curbs they would have to include storm water drains, which would drive the cost up significantly. I don't like it, but I understand the logic.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
The poor old London Arms... rather non-descript and outdated building, and I wouldn't be overly sad to see it go, EXCEPT it has an awesome old-school elevator.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 8:29 PM

Love that building. Too bad for the poorly done patch work after those bricks fell down.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 1:18 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ya, that new brick isn't exactly a match, is it?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.41974...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by rocketphish; May 16, 2017 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Ya, that new brick isn't exactly a match, is it?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.41974...7i13312!8i6656
That building shouldn't be called London Arms. It should be called Gorbachev's Birthmark

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 1:18 AM

Found out that the corner of Metcalfe and Albert--which, up until a few months ago, housed St. Vincent de Paul's "The Paul" store--was recently leased by a business called The Mad Radish:

http://www.madradish.com/

A job posting on indeed.ca indicates the following:

Quote:
Mad Radish is a new fast-casual salad concept, created by DAVIDsTEA founder David Segal. Serving chef-driven salads, soups and healthy snacks, we are bringing a new perspective to the salad category, emphasizing food that tastes as great as it makes you feel. Our first two stores are opening in June in Ottawa, and we will be supporting them with community involvement, fun events and a donation partnership with Community Food Centres Canada.
It looks like it will be a direct competitor to Ottawa-based Green Rebel, and Toronto-based Freshii.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
It looks like it will be a direct competitor to Ottawa-based Green Rebel, and Toronto-based Freshii.
I keep thinking Green Rebel is one of them special pharmacies.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 5:25 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Jonathan Westeinde builds a powerful legacy of green real estate
Windmill Developments co-founder has never wavered from his most important mission: to create urban spaces that make Ottawans proud

By: Caroline Phillips, OBJ
Published: May 30, 2017 7:41am EDT

Jonathan Westeinde can be forgiven for running a few minutes behind for our interview. As co-founder and chief executive of Windmill Developments, he has a lot on his plate these days.

Most notably, Windmill has partnered with Dream Unlimited Corp. to transform the old pulp and paper mill on Chaudière and Albert Islands on the Ottawa River into an environmentally and pedestrian-friendly waterfront community, consisting of condos and townhomes, offices, shops and restaurants, and waterfront parks and pathways. It’s just a short walk (or portage) away from Parliament Hill.

It’s named Zibi, after the Algonquin word for “river.” Windmill has held on tight to its ambition of creating a sustainable urban space it can be proud of, despite objections from certain Algonquin First Nations over the sacredness of the land being developed.

The green real estate development firm is also building The Plant, an urban agricultural-themed condo and townhome project in Toronto, and is nearing completion of its church-to-condo conversion, Arch Lofts, also in The Big Smoke.

Mr. Westeinde draws inspiration from a variety of sources, including a tour he did of northern Europe and, in particular, Sweden. The Scandinavian nation has been been ranked the most sustainable country in the world for its renewable energy sources and low carbon dioxide emissions.

Other projects already ticked off the to-do list include the Cathedral Hill and The Eddy condominiums in Ottawa and the Whitewater Village luxury cottage community farther up the Ottawa River.

The biggest challenge in the business, he says, is having to rely on third parties, whether it’s different levels of government or building contractors.

“It all comes down to making sure you’re working with the right people and have the right relationships with people who are buying into your same vision,” he says, speaking in his office located along a bustling stretch of Wellington Street West.

Born and raised in Nepean, Mr. Westeinde is the youngest of three children and a member of the well-respected Westeinde clan, headed by John and Shirley Westeinde. The pair ran its own construction company until 2003, when they sold it to Aecon Group.

Mr. Westeinde’s older brother Jeff serves as the executive chairman of Windmill. He also ran his own company, cleaning up contaminated sites.

“My parents taught us work ethic,” says Mr. Westeinde, 47, a past OBJ Forty Under 40 recipient. “They would never give us money, but they would always give us the opportunity to work for money, which had me on a construction site when I was 12 and working two paper routes for much of my childhood.

“I remember my dad leaving the construction trailer door open when I started working on a Westeinde Construction job site one summer, and making it clear to the superintendent (ensuring that I heard) that it did not matter that I was his son; if I was not performing, he had every right to fire me.”

Mr. Westeinde gives a tip of the construction hat to his mother, not just for her community involvement but for excelling in a male-dominated field.

“She broke many barriers by being the first at many things as a woman in the construction industry, showing the importance of persistence and not letting intimidation slow you down.”

Mr. Westeinde studied at St. Paul High School in Bells Corners and Albert College boarding school in Belleville. He followed in the footsteps of his family members by attending the University of Western Ontario in London (now known as Western University). However, unlike his father and siblings, he opted for an undergraduate degree in economics rather than engineering.

He worked for several years in business before heading to Dublin to earn his MBA at Trinity College. Interestingly, he had to cross the pond to meet his future wife, who was from his hometown. Susan Finlay was there working for Corel.

Ms. Finlay is currently working with the Canada 3C expedition, which is taking Canadians on a learning and teaching adventure to all three coasts, via an icebreaker ship, to inspire a deeper understanding of our country. While she’s away, Mr. Westeinde has been keeping the home fires burning.

The couple has three very sporty daughters: Savannah, 16, Paige, 15, and Kyla, 12, the eldest of whom is on the junior Canadian team for freestyle whitewater kayaking. She’s headed to Argentina in November to compete in the world championships.

In his limited free time, Mr. Westeinde enjoys outdoor activities with his girls, particularly whitewater kayaking because it forces him to leave his cellphone behind.

“This business is great for someone who has slight ADD (attention deficit disorder),” jokes Mr. Westeinde. “There’s never a dull moment and there’s always lots going on.

“There can be good days and bad days, but there’s never a boring day.”

Five things to know about Jonathan Westeinde
  • Mr. Westeinde burned through all his money while studying in Dublin and had to moonlight as a rickshaw runner.
  • Windmill Developments gets its his name from the patriarch of the family, John Westeinde, who came to Canada from Holland at age 14. He became known as “Mr. Windmill” for his campaign to build a working windmill of friendship at Dow’s Lake.
  • Mr. Westeinde is famous in his family for his fish and chips, made with catch that he brings back from his annual fishing trips to the Haa Nee Naa Lodge on Dundas Island, B.C.
  • Mr. Westeinde sits on the board of the Children’s Aid Foundation of Ottawa, which, among other things, provides bursaries to deserving youth in care of the Children’s Aid Society.
  • Among his career highlights was being chosen in 2009 by a NAFTA committee to lead a North American task force on green building.

http://www.obj.ca/index.php/article/...en-real-estate

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 1:29 PM

Interesting article on the recent tragic fire in London and the theory that the cladding made it much worse. I hope they do not use that type of cladding in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/london-...pert-1.4163560

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 7:14 PM

Athletic training facility coming to Orleans. Interesting partnership.

Quote:
Former Sens owner, renowned architect to build $20M athletics centre in Orléans

Paula McCooey, Ottawa CitizenPAULA MCCOOEY, OTTAWA CITIZEN
More from Paula McCooey, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: June 15, 2017 | Last Updated: June 15, 2017 4:38 PM EDT

A $20-million sports centre to help train some of Canada’s most promising athletes will be built in Orléans by 2019.

The 65,000-square-foot, multi-staged development — headed by architect Douglas Cardinal, Ottawa developer and former Ottawa Senators owner Bruce Firestone, and Black Sheep Developments — will be built on an empty lot on Mer Bleue Road. It will feature a large building, with Tumblers Gymnastics as the anchor tenant, and host international gymnastics competitions.

The facility will also eventually house coaches that will train some of Canada’s top gymnasts, and accommodate other sports including basketball, floor hockey and military-style obstacle courses.

“The economic impact for our community will be substantial,” Brian Dagenais, Black Sheep’s president, said in an announcement Thursday. “The building will be a celebration of achievement and a hub for families and businesses, and for us it’s just the first phase.”

Dagenais said Cardinal will build the environmentally sustainable sports complex to reflect users’ needs. After Thursday’s official announcement, Cardinal sat down with some of the young gymnasts from Tumblers to hear what they envision for the new facility.

“(Cardinal’s) goal today is to begin the process of talking with the kids and asking them, ‘What do you want in a facility?’ and through their vision, and the visions of parents, Tumblers, and board of directors, only by talking to them can he really properly express (their) desires.”

The facility will include a “wrap” of retail space with complementary businesses such as a physiotherapist, dance studio, massage therapist and chiropractor.

The project, near the corner of Innes Road, is expected to take two years to complete. It has yet to acquire the necessary building permits.

Cumberland Coun. Stephen Blais said the new facility will provide a much-needed space to train young athletes, while also creating an economic boon for local businesses.

“Orléans produces more than its fair share of Ottawa’s top-tier athletes, and a new world-class facility will help ensure that we continue to promote national level athletes while contributing to positive economic and social outcomes in our community.”
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...tre-in-orleans

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 10:13 PM

Very interesting, although I wonder how much "Douglas Cardinal" you get in a $20M facility? The article's mention of a "wrap" of related businesses makes me think this is where we'll see it. Look forward to seeing renders.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Interesting article on the recent tragic fire in London and the theory that the cladding made it much worse. I hope they do not use that type of cladding in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/london-...pert-1.4163560
Hope it's not the same crap as TriBeCa, Fusion and Andaz. Idon't think it is. Ours seems to be flush on the wall while the Grenfell seems to protrude out.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/...-tore-13189075

http://www.ottawascondos.com/condo_buildings.php

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 9:32 PM

Robert Campeau, arguably the single most important figure in Ottawa development in the second half of the 20th century, has past away.

He was responsible for Place de Ville (and breaking the ridiculous 110 foot height limit), Terrace de la Chaudière, Place du Portage (apparently, I had no idea) apartment buildings, and thousands upon thousands of suburban homes across the city. He also built Scotia Plaza and Harbour Centre in Toronto along with many other projects in Canada and the U.S.

Quote:
Bold, controversial entrepreneur, builder Robert Campeau dies at 93

NORMAN PROVENCHER, OTTAWA CITIZEN
More from Norman Provencher, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: June 17, 2017 | Last Updated: June 18, 2017 5:49 PM EDT

Robert Campeau, the small-town boy who built up huge swaths of Ottawa and elsewhere before his business reach exceeded his grasp in the 1980s in a headline-grabbing corporate battle that wiped out U.S. retailers Allied Stores and Federated, has died in an Ottawa hospital.

He was 93.

Campeau arrived in Ottawa in the 1950s from Chelmsford, near Sudbury, almost penniless and with rudimentary English skills and a drive for success.

In the North, he was one of 14 siblings and he’d quit school in the eighth grade to help support his family. He took odd jobs, ranging from deliveries to sweeping floors at Inco for 50 cents an hour.

He maintained that focus when he arrived in Ottawa with a new wife and child, taking any job that came up, including driving truck for a Gatineau paper mill and running a corner store to feed his family.

But all the time his focus was on something bigger. In the booming post-war ’50s, Campeau quickly realized that housing for fast-growing families, like his own, was a no-fail proposition.

Most stories about his entry into the real estate and development sector agree that Campeau’s early days involved renovations, finding fixer-uppers, making them over and selling at a profit.

Eventually, he scraped together the capital for Elmvale Acres, building his first units on either side of Smyth Road. Gradually, the community spread north and south from there. His projects spread to the Pleasant Park neighbourhood and further.

Schools and churches followed the new homes, solidifying the communities.

The homes themselves were no-frills, $18,000 to $20,000 units built from templates to house a couple and 1.5 children.

While the families were, for the most part, happy and proud with their new homes, there were those who found the projects less than appealing.

In one of their regular battles, former mayor Charlotte Whitton famously opined: “When I look at his houses, I think perhaps nuclear bombardment might not be such a terrible thing after all.”

But the formula was solid and Campeau leveraged successes into larger and larger projects.

From suburban neighbourhoods, Campeau Corp.’s attention turned to highrises and, then, dramatically, in the 1960s he unveiled his blockbuster plan for the massive Place de Ville complex on Queen Street, with its 250-foot-tall main building, far in excess of the height permitted downtown under the existing bylaw. The project got the city’s approval.

Shortly afterward, when the NCC unveiled its plans for Place du Portage and, later, Les Terrasses de la Chaudière in Hull, Campeau Corp. was the major contractor for both.

The successes continued to pile up until, at the height of Campeau Corp.’s building successes, the company burst onto the world stage in 1986 with, first, the purchase of Allied Stores, for $3.5 billion U.S., and then, two years later, the even larger takeover of Federated, for $6.6 billion U.S. The acquisitions brought with them name stores such as Bloomingdale’s and Jordan Marsh.

At the time, business magazine Fortune called it “the biggest, looniest deal ever,” and it was not to last.

Trouble followed as cash flow from the stores fell short of the interest payments necessary to service the massive debt. Campeau Corp. shut dozens of stores and laid off thousands of workers across the U.S.

Finally, Federated and Allied filed for bankruptcy-court protection in 1990, emerging from court protection two years later as one company, Federated, with no links to Campeau Corp.

Creditors, owed a total of $8.2 billion U.S., recouped, on average, 72 cents on the dollar and were left holding the bag for $2.3 billion U.S. of debt.

After the Federated failure, Campeau mostly fell from public sight, reappearing briefly with deals in Germany and Austria, as well as other ventures.

In an email, Bruce Firestone, founder of the Ottawa Senators hockey team and a businessman in many ventures, recalled Campeau as “an amazing person in many respects.”

“Bob Campeau was a charismatic, angry, ambitious Franco-Ontarian from Sudbury,” Firestone says in his book, Don’t Back Down, written to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the founding of the Senators. In it, Firestone tells of his one face-to-face business encounter with Campeau, a battle over ownership of some bankruptcy-bound buildings needed to re-establish Firestone’s company, Terrace.

After much complicated haggling, first with Campeau and then with his staff, the 28-year-old Firestone was able to negotiate a purchase of the buildings, literally at the courtroom door.

“Terrace was on the way to a successful re-launch, thanks to Robert Campeau, the munificent,” Firestone writes. He notes in the email that the resurrection of Terrace led, “in an indirect way,” to “relaunching the Ottawa Senators.”

Campeau lived in Switzerland for a time, then returned to live in Toronto. In recent years, he had also been mostly active with his charitable organizations.

It’s not known when he returned to Ottawa. No cause of death was given.

He is survived by his wife, Christel, and his children Rachelle, Jacques, Robert Jr., Giselle and Jan-Paul.

The family will receive well-wishers at Notre Dame Cathedral on Sussex Drive from 9-10 a.m. on Thursday, June 22, followed by a funeral mass at 10 a.m. Interment will be at 2 p.m. at St. Isidore Cemetery on March Road in Kanata.
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...eau-dies-at-93

In somewhat related news, Brookfield is painting Campeau's Jean Edmonds North Tower gray (from the old patchy brown).

https://www.brookfieldproperties.com...dmonds-towers/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa