HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 3:32 PM
National Capital Region

General Update/Rumour thread

Well, we need some sort of general thread for rumours, tidbits, planning & environment agendas, etc, so here we go.... I thought it might be better to put updates and rumours together for now, since we don't have the same volume as a place like Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeto11
I found an office building for bank and slater!
Here is the link
http://www.tampoldarchitects.com then click on concepts and the tower is in the 10 and 11 section!

Why is place de ville only going to have 3 17 story towers?????? I was told that spot was reserved for a 30 story plus tower???

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Oct 31, 2007 at 12:50 AM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 12:45 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by litreofcola
Oh and BTW a few new condos underway or seeking approval:

1) Breezehill @ Hickory (Merrion Square by Domicile, probably been mentioned before but nobody has posted a rendering). They've applied for 10-storey and 8-storey towers in addition to the townhomes

2) City Centre- application for multiple (I think) apartment/condo towers on the piece of land owned by Phoenix Homes right @ City Centre and Scott St

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 3:10 PM

Westin Hotel

Has anyone else noticed construction at the Westin Hotel? It looks like they are adding a floor to the podium on Colonel By Dr...any details?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 4:19 AM
National Capital Region

330 Gilmour

recommended for refusal

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 11:31 AM

I think 330 gilmour would be a nice addition to the area, why is it being refused?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 1:40 PM

Yeah I think it's nice too... if you read the link 330 Gilmour on the other post you can read the official rejection from the good folks at city hall. It's the usual 'just a little too high' story, but the developer probably proposed a building a few stories higher than he actually intended to build so that the planners could have their little victory. I imagine a slightly reduced version of this building will eventually get built.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 2:48 PM
R2-D2's army of death

How is 9 storeys a little too tall?!?! Holy Hampster wheel, city hall is really starting to piss me off!!!
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrigentum View Post
Has anyone else noticed construction at the Westin Hotel? It looks like they are adding a floor to the podium on Colonel By Dr...any details?
From what I understand they are building a new ballroom for weddings and other functions. It will cost 3x to book it compared to the older ones but it's supposed to be pretty nice.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 2:53 PM
R2-D2's army of death

What happened to the new Galaxy Camera Flagship store that was supposed to go on that empty sand/bush lot on Bank and Florence? I noticed that they took down the "Coming soon!" sign a little while ago...
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
What happened to the new Galaxy Camera Flagship store that was supposed to go on that empty sand/bush lot on Bank and Florence? I noticed that they took down the "Coming soon!" sign a little while ago...
Shoot, I hope not. That was going to be a really nice addition to Bank Street!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:03 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Well, the sign was taken down a while ago and I haven't heard of any updates or plans for that lot.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:05 PM

Wasn't there supposed to be a building going in where the James Street Pub is? I seem to remember an article stating that the pub was going to have to close.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:22 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Yes, but that is a different project entirely. Although, it is/will be literally 20 feet from the new Galaxy Camera flagship store.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:23 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Wasn't there supposed to be a building going in where the James Street Pub is? I seem to remember an article stating that the pub was going to have to close.
390 bank street - bank and james (james street feed company)

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...E-APR-0146.htm

Quote:
The existing property contains a one-storey restaurant built in the 1960s at the south end (James Street Feed Company) and surface parking on the north and westerly part of the site. The proposed building is illustrated in Documents 2-5 and in the Cultural Heritage Impact Statement included as Document 6. It will include five storeys of underground parking, one storey of retail/commercial space at ground level, one storey of office/commercial space, and five storeys of residential space containing approximately 50 units.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 5:35 PM
R2-D2's army of death

I jsut found this online. It's from the Ottawa Citizen.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...a4&k=80956&p=2

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 9:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I jsut found this online. It's from the Ottawa Citizen.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...a4&k=80956&p=2
The Ottawa Citizen are phoning around this afternoon trying to get quotes from people in the planning industry (private or public sector I would think) for another article tomorrow about the potential removal of some portions of the Greenbelt.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 9:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
I think 330 gilmour would be a nice addition to the area, why is it being refused?
The annointed one, Diana Holmes, has not blessed it. Remember density is great in Ottawa as long as it isn't in the beloved Centretown.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 10:49 PM
R2-D2's army of death

On another note, has anyone heard anything regarding Lansdowne Park or any new proposals for it?

P.S. I wish we could get something like what Winnipeg is getting for their new Blue Bomber Stadium.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnog View Post
The Ottawa Citizen are phoning around this afternoon trying to get quotes from people in the planning industry (private or public sector I would think) for another article tomorrow about the potential removal of some portions of the Greenbelt.
/me smacks his head into the nearest brick wall.

So... instead of actually refusing to issue development permits for subdivisions outside the greenbelt, as was the original intention, they're just going to totally surrender the idea of stopping urban sprawl.

Good to see the NCC is keeping it's record of idiocy intact.
--Between build-and-run developers, budget-conscious planning departments, reactionary community associations and their city councillors, and the unaccountable OMB, we have more than enough bad actors sharing more than enough pathologies and perverse incentives.-David Reevely--

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 11:54 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Suburban life is jsut too lucrative and "attractive" to give it up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa