HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 5:12 AM

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 5:47 AM

I am the type of guy who would worry about the legality of composing a post as you have done...so, I am seriously curious..is permission needed? Legally...?

Did you send a copy of this to the Oregonian (Ms. Sullivan, in particular) and did they find as much humor in this piece as you? Did they give you permission to print this and name their publication/columnist as the source? Did all those named in the piece, including the mayor, give their permission? Does the person(s) who own this site give you permission...again, was permission actually needed from those you mentioned in your post?

I assume no ethical/legal rules were broken..... in the name of a joke. Personally, I would be too chicken (now days) to compose a post like this, with sources named, unless it was factual...just me. I am not in the position to be sued. Take care.

Last edited by PacificNW; Apr 4, 2011 at 7:09 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 7:27 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
I am the type of guy who would worry about the legality of composing a post as you have done...so, I am seriously curious..is permission needed? Legally...?

Did you send a copy of this to the Oregonian (Ms. Sullivan, in particular) and did they find as much humor in this piece as you? Did they give you permission to print this and name their publication/columnist as the source? Did all those named in the piece, including the mayor, give their permission? Does the person(s) who own this site give you permission...again, was permission actually needed from those you mentioned in your post?

I assume no ethical/legal rules were broken..... in the name of a joke. Personally, I would be too chicken (now days) to compose a post like this, with sources named, unless it was factual...just me. I am not in the position to be sued. Take care.
I thought it was funny, it was April Fools and a few people in here got suckered with it. Laugh it off, call it a good one, and move on with your life...it isn't that big of a deal.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:43 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

buncha party-poopers

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I thought it was funny, it was April Fools and a few people in here got suckered with it. Laugh it off, call it a good one, and move on with your life...it isn't that big of a deal.
Ditto!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 8:37 PM

Worked well only because the oregonian site is so damn bad no one questioned not finding the story on it

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 9:28 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Worked well only because the oregonian site is so damn bad no one questioned not finding the story on it
This is funny cause it's true.....

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 5:41 PM

Portland's BES and possible BDS relocations could launch downtown tower

Will Portland's sewer bureau jumpstart a stalled real estate project?
Published: Monday, April 18, 2011, 8:30 AM Updated: Monday, April 18, 2011, 10:30 AM
Brad Schmidt, The Oregonian By Brad Schmidt, The Oregonian The Oregonian

These days, a real estate project is only as good as the tenants who promise to be there when it's built. Not enough commitments, no loan, no building.

Those circumstances makes Portland's Bureau of Environmental Services a big-time player in the local market.

Six developers are lining up for a shot at the city's sewer bureau, where officials are considering their moving options. Already overflowing on two full floors at the Portland Building next to City Hall, the bureau could relocate as soon as 2013 -- in a move that would allow other city offices to move in.

BES is in the market for about 75,000 square feet of top-grade office space and recently put out a call for proposals. Nothing has been decided and there isn't a sense of urgency. But city Commissioner Dan Saltzman, who oversees the bureau, has asked BES officials to come back in a few weeks to talk more.

"I think all of these six are within the sphere of possibility," said Dean Marriott, BES director. "None of them is so far out that it makes no sense."

Location is key. Another factor could be the ability to accommodate Saltzman's Bureau of Development Services -- which is now in the so-called 1900 Building that could be sold to Portland State University.

Officials for Tom Moyer's Park Avenue West in downtown, the Burnside Bridgehead on the central eastside and One Waterfront Place in the Pearl have all submitted proposals. So have developers for 100 Multnomah across from the Convention Center and a still-conceptual mixed-use project on Southeast Belmont.

A sixth proposal from Williams & Dame Development, for an existing building at 321 N.W. Glisan St., probably is out of consideration. The developers asked to pull their project about the same time the building co-owner, Blaine Hoggard, unexpectedly died in March.

Park Avenue West is the project that's closest to City Hall and seemingly the one that's closest to being built. Moyer began construction but abruptly halted it two years ago amid the declining real estate market, leaving a pit of rebar at the lot behind Nordstrom.

The Burnside Bridgehead proposal comes from The Templeton Group, which includes Jeff Pickhardt and Robert Gilham. That land is owned by the Portland Development Commission and has sat stagnant for years after a proposal by Opus fizzled.

One Waterfront is another PDC-sponsored project that hasn't gotten off the ground in a decade. Developers Jim Winkler and Bob Naito recently saw their agreement with the urban renewal agency expire.

Meanwhile, 100 Multnomah from Trammel Crow Co. has been on the drawing board since 2007.

And the Belmont option? That Killian Pacific proposal is the roughest of all and has gained attention not for what it could become, but because developers hired goats to mow the grass.

Keep in mind that these are the same developers who wooed PDC last year as agency officials considered moving from their Old Town digs when the lease expired. During that process, Moyer's company hired powerful lobbying firm Gallatin Public Affairs to push its project.

The sewer bureau apparently hasn't drawn that type of muscle. At least not yet.

"Noboby's really wooing us at this point," Marriott said.

-- Brad Schmidt

http://blog.oregonlive.com/portlandc...bureau_ju.html

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 8:38 PM
Karma Police

75,000 sf for BES would take up about 5 floors of PAW. If BDS is also looking to move, that could be another 8-10 floors (not sure of their total sf at the 1900 building). Could be the catalyst needed to restart the project.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 4:36 AM

We've read stories about a tightening A class office space, rising rents, lowering unemployment, companies looking for more space...what the hell is going to get this building going? Is their sales team aggressive? How can they have not landed a major tenant(s) in...how many years? Meh.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 5:52 AM

Funny, I was going to bump this earlier today with pretty much the same set of questions. This is getting ridiculous.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
We've read stories about a tightening A class office space, rising rents, lowering unemployment, companies looking for more space...what the hell is going to get this building going? Is their sales team aggressive? How can they have not landed a major tenant(s) in...how many years? Meh.
The recent surge in activity seems to be abating. It’s a little disconcerting. I spoke with a General Contractor today and he told me things are looking ominous from his perspective as well. Less jobs to bid, and more competition. He said the smaller construction firms are back to bidding jobs at break-even just to keep their crews working. That is not a good sign. PAW won’t be revived until the Portland market gets healthier. We just aren't there yet.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 6:22 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Completion of the federal building on 3rd will be bad news for PAW, will it not? I think we could easily end up with the PAW hole for a decade or more, but I really hope I'm wrong.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 4:04 AM

Nah, the feds have long term leases in One Main, most of them with 9 years left, plus a new and growing sustainable organization that moved into the top floors. Hopefully in 9 years, if the feds don't need the space, the county will finally come up with the money to restore the courthouse and move into the space once the feds leave.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 6:43 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Nah, the feds have long term leases in One Main, most of them with 9 years left, plus a new and growing sustainable organization that moved into the top floors. Hopefully in 9 years, if the feds don't need the space, the county will finally come up with the money to restore the courthouse and move into the space once the feds leave.
I'm confused. You're saying the feds aren't going to be in the Federal Building? I thought they moved out relatively temporarily for reconstruction.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 9:58 PM

No, many departments will be moving back to their building once the renovation is complete, but my understanding is that through some location consolidation, as well as growth in the number of employees working in Portland, the feds will require a long term, and large presence, in the One Main Place building.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 9:59 PM

And by One Main Place I of course mean First and Main.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 10:06 PM

This is what I could find on just a quick search.

...The government apparently plans to be a long-term tenant at First & Main.

The transactions include two leases for the Internal Revenue Service. The first is for 63,897 square feet and is for 10 years, with seven years firm. The second is for 69,641 square feet and is for five years, with three years firm.

The GSA also leased 30,866 square feet for the Drug Enforcement Administration for 15 years, with 10 years firm, and 85,785 square feet for the Veterans Benefits Administration for 10 years, with a five year renewal option...

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...1/daily17.html

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scleeb View Post
The recent surge in activity seems to be abating. It’s a little disconcerting. I spoke with a General Contractor today and he told me things are looking ominous from his perspective as well. Less jobs to bid, and more competition. He said the smaller construction firms are back to bidding jobs at break-even just to keep their crews working. That is not a good sign. PAW won’t be revived until the Portland market gets healthier. We just aren't there yet.
I'm not sure we're that far away. From what I've personally seen, companies are starting to spend again on hiring, creativity, marketing, etc. All those things mean more people need places to work, and a lot of companies seem to be outgrowing their existing offices.

I have several friends who have mentioned concerns that their job will be moved to a "new" office within the Metro area. If the local job market keeps picking up like some indicators show we might need a bit more office space in Portland pretty soon. PAW might have a specific target audience, but it also has the potential to relieve some demand as companies hire.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 5:49 PM

Lengthy and unusually informative if not particularly encouraging...

TMT Development's president struggles to revive Park Avenue West

By Oakley Brooks
Oregon Business

TMT Development is caught in a trap. One of the lions of downtown Portland real estate development, it’s looking to erase a black eye dished out by the financial crash and to cover that construction pit at Park and Yamhill with the completed high-end office tower, Park Avenue West. But after a potential deal-clinching lease with the Portland Development Commission fell through last summer, future tenants and prospective lenders are now skittish about signing onto the project. Big tenants all over town are skeptical it will actually happen after lying dormant for three years.

In order to impress them, “The goal is to get the building out of the ground and have something to talk about before pursuing big tenants,” says Vanessa Sturgeon, TMT Development’s 33-year-old president. But banks, life insurance companies, pension funds or trusts who might offer the means to finish the project want to see roughly half of the building’s 22 stories leased before they’ll hand over the money.

“It’s all swirling around at the same time,” says Sturgeon, with a hint of hope that something may come out of discussions around town. In mid-April, the company submitted a proposal to the City of Portland, along with several other developers, in an attempt to win the Bureau of Environmental Services’ 75,000-square-foot lease.

With no concrete progress, however, rumors about Park Avenue West’s revival — alive since the fourth quarter of last year — continue to die in that motionless downtown pit and leave it as a lingering wound from the Great Recession.

That Sturgeon is opening up at all about negotiations is a sign of anxiety at TMT. Under Sturgeon’s bullish grandfather, Tom Moyer, the company built and continues to manage 9 million square feet of office space from Salem to Seattle, including the 1000 Broadway building and the magestic Fox Tower building at the heart of Portland. Moyer has been an important corporate citizen, building an auditorium at Central Catholic High School, offering scholarships through a trust named after his late wife, Marilyn, and donating at least $7 million for land and construction costs for Director Park, opposite the Fox Tower. But the company has rigorously maintained a low media profile, preferring to stick to an adage borrowed from reclusive venture capitalist Henry Hillman: “The spouting whale gets the harpoon.”

“They are a closely held family company and they just don’t burn a lot of calories on outreach,” says Bart Eberwein, vice president at Hoffman Construction, which is the general contractor on Park Avenue West and built the Fox Tower.

But Sturgeon admits the worth of the company’s real estate has, not surprisingly, dropped precipitously in value in recent years. And there may be more stress in the company, out of view.

Moyer is now 92, and though Sturgeon says, “He’s holding up incredibly well,” she would not allow him to be interviewed. Sources in the commercial real estate community say Moyer’s memory trouble, often chalked up to a lovable forgetfulness, is now a sign of advancing age. There’s a chance that his company would pass into estate before the Park Avenue West project is finished, and family members who stand to inherit the company and Moyer’s personal wealth may not want more of his money put into Park Avenue West.

Sturgeon says that picture of behind-the-scenes activity is “inaccurate.” But when asked if the family was supportive of the project she won’t answer: “I'm not going to comment on the family’s position,” she says.

It’s in times like these that the company — through Moyer or Sturgeon — has been known to buck its own policy and seek the media spotlight.

In 1997, Moyer broke ground without any financing on the Fox Tower project; two years in, with $90 million of his own money already committed, he had no more than a fifth of the future space rented. Development competitors expected him to fold, but Moyer had a card left to play: his life story. Inviting The Oregonian’s R. Gregory Nokes into his Vancouver, Wash., home, Moyer laid out a drama worthy of Alger, about his rise from hard-scrabble Depression baby beginnings in Sellwood, his abandonment of school to pursue an amateur boxing career that put him in the ring with legendary Sugar Ray Robinson, through the growth of his theater conglomerate that led to a falling out with his siblings but eventually earned him $192 million upon sale in 1989, and finally, tossing out some anecdotes of the stinginess and forgetfulness that friends and family said defined him.

Nokes was even offered a view from the top of the skeletal concrete elevator shaft Hoffman had put in first at the Fox Tower, and here was the trade-off: Moyer, whom Sturgeon describes as “excruciatingly private,” was willing to expose himself in exchange for some free publicity. “He felt he had to,” says Sturgeon.

The outreach effort, combined with an aggressive sales pitch from Moyer’s team of high-powered brokers, worked. In late 1999, timber magnate Louisiana Pacific committed to leaving the choicest office address in Portland — the top two floors at U.S. Bancorp Tower — for the Fox Tower. That led to a construction loan from Bank of America, and by the time the building was finished it was over 90% leased. Moyer moved into his own apartment on the upper floors of Fox Tower, the new “it” spot in town.

A mini-charm offensive from Sturgeon last spring, however, couldn’t rescue TMT’s $50 million investment already sunk into Park Avenue West. The Portland Development Commission was weighing a move from its Old Town offices into Park Avenue West that — with commitments from Stoel Rives to half the office space and Nike to a retail store — would have secured a construction loan from Pacific Life to finish the tower. Sturgeon and Co. hired a public affairs consultant to navigate the PDC’s public bid process and Sturgeon sat for an interview with the Portland Business Journal.

But that restart fell through when PDC officials couldn’t justify paying an estimated $10-a-square-foot premium to move commission offices to Park Avenue West. It was a prime example of the persistence of low rents around the city that have been a drag on new office projects.

That brings us to TMT’s latest predicament: It’s without a loan and without Stoel Rives, which renewed its lease at the Standard Insurance Tower last August. The company needs to show its face again.

Sturgeon operates from a modest, south-facing office on the Fox Tower’s 20th floor. She can be approachable and charming, flashing sparkling eyes as she talks of her imminent escape from spring dreariness to Mexico with her husband and two small boys. But as the conversation shifts to business, it shortens, each of her words measured cautiously. Despite the fact that she’s held the title of president for 10 years now, since she joined TMT as a young Willamette University graduate student at Moyer's request, she admits to being “nervous” about how the ongoing Park Avenue West saga is playing out in public. “I’m worried I’m going to get reamed over it,” in future press, she says.

Sturgeon offers brief glimpses of how difficult the last three years have been. She signed the stop work orders at Park Avenue West in April 2009, a week after her second son, Cole, was born, and a few days after closing on a new house in Lake Oswego.

“It was all a blur,” she says.

Shutting down the project “was incredibly hard. The hardest part was there were no other construction jobs for the workers to jump to.”

“[The downturn] has been hard for people in the office,” she says. “They call counterparts at other firms and they’re just gone, voice mail disconnected. These are people who’ve worked for the same place for 10 or 20 years. So it’s tough for morale.”

But asked if the sight of that dormant hole kitty-corner from the Fox Tower gets under her skin, she grows terse. “It’s just part of the landscape now,” she says.

There is undoubtedly a hard-nosed edge to Sturgeon. She reportedly announced intentions to sue her father, Elie Kassab, for ownership of a theater property in Vancouver, Wash., after dinner at his house with her brother and sister in 2005. The children thought they’d been wronged in a divorce settlement between their mother, Kimberly Moyer, and Kassab, which granted him the company. (Sturgeon and her siblings lost in court.)

By the accounts of business associates, Sturgeon is now the developer in charge at TMT. But she says Moyer still remains a close adviser, descending from his condominium to the office every day, and checking in by phone when at his second home in Rancho Mirage, Calif. “We talk about everything,” Sturgeon says.

If Sturgeon and Moyer can convince their family, tenants and lenders to support Park Avenue West, there are some broader trends working in the company’s favor.

Market researchers and local economists note that Portland, like cities all over the country, is substantially under building commercial space as a result of the credit crunch, following a few years of below-average commercial construction during the last period of growth. All of that will lead to heavy demand for new space in the coming years and a “mini-boom” in construction, Portland economist Bill Conerly wrote recently in his blog.

By the end of this year, the office vacancy rate in downtown Portland is projected to be 9.3%, the lowest of any major U.S. business district besides Manhattan’s midtown south, according to commercial real estate brokers Cushman & Wakefield. Some market reports for the first quarter of 2011 listed the luxury Class A vacancy rate in Portland as low as 6.3%. Just a handful of multi-floor spaces are left in existing high-end towers in Portland’s core. When the next big client, such as Iberdrola Renewables or a city department, decides to move, “They basically require a new building,” says Tom Usher, Cushman-Wakefield’s senior director in Portland.

The pent-up demand for Class A space meant gold for Shorenstein Properties, which recently sold its building at First and Main for $129 million or $350 per square foot.

And that now means lenders are opening up to new commercial construction deals in Portland.

“I know a number of lenders are open to a deal. They are just looking for the right deal,” says John Petersen, a mortgage banker who heads Melvin Mark Capital. But Petersen also says that potential creditors and tenants have to overcome lingering doubts about the overall state of the economy before a new building becomes a reality. “It takes a turn of psychology,” he says.

In the meantime, Vanessa Sturgeon and TMT wait, and she tries to look at the moment through Tom Moyer’s 92-year-old eyes.

“He’s seen the economy go through cycles like this many times, including the Depression, so two or three years don’t make a big difference to him.” she says. “This is just one more cycle.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland