HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 4:02 AM

This bridge is going to die of natural causes (collapse, footings scouring, earthquake, etc) before anything is done.

Prove me wrong oh elected officials....

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
This bridge is going to die of natural causes (collapse, footings scouring, earthquake, etc) before anything is done.

Prove me wrong oh elected officials....
Sorry too focused on the sudden replacement of a tunnel that hasn't been studied or complained about nearly as much.

Sudden as in starting in 2017.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 2:26 PM

Two different authorities have control over those projects, so essentially they are not related.

That being said the province should take charge of all bridge / highway projects (with some federal funding would be nice).

I personally thing the GEB and GEW is a fantastic piece of infrastructure, but even so it should have been a provincial government project, not Translink.

And for that matter, Translink should not be responsible for the capital cost of projects period (highway or rapid transit).

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 8:39 PM

Well, true. But Translink can't really afford anything like a Patullo replacement without provincial government dollars anyway.

Translink should handle public transit only, or one agency should handle roads and transit. Having a mix like today is a circus...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 8:46 PM

Maybe everyone who crosses the Patullo Bridge regularly should carry life jackets in their vehicles. Assuming they survive the plunge into the water.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Well, true. But Translink can't really afford anything like a Patullo replacement without provincial government dollars anyway.

Translink should handle public transit only, or one agency should handle roads and transit. Having a mix like today is a circus...
New West has been the biggest problem regarding this bridge.

Sometime I don't understand Translink, they seem to have no balls at all and they put way too much weight into the community consultations.

I went to them years back now, where they had several finalized alignments proposed.

The Surrey side chose a winner (which fit what Translink was hoping for), the people who went to the New West consultations voted and chose a winner (I was at those meetings) which I believe was the same choice (or one very similar to what Surrey had chosen) everything looked as if it were good to go but......then New West City government said no to all of them without proposing any realistic alternative.

If Translink just had some fucking balls and said, "Sorry, a winner has been chosen" then the bridge would be u/c right now!

So annoying, Translink also put its tail between its legs and sat in the corner after its very realistic and decent completion to United Boulevard proposal.

Again, they are great at pissing money away at doing studies and coming up with decent proposals, just to immediately cower to New West.

I....don't...get...it.

It almost comes off as if what ever Surrey and Coquiltam think is worth nothing, and whatever New West thinks is the be all and end all.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 5:20 AM

Translink doesn't have any money anyway, so I doubt they really care too much.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Translink doesn't have any money anyway, so I doubt they really care too much.
why does translink have any authority over road infrastructure? i always thought they should only be in charge of transit like skytrains/buses/etc. BCMOT and municipalities should be in charge of roads.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Two different authorities have control over those projects, so essentially they are not related.

That being said the province should take charge of all bridge / highway projects (with some federal funding would be nice).

I personally thing the GEB and GEW is a fantastic piece of infrastructure, but even so it should have been a provincial government project, not Translink.

And for that matter, Translink should not be responsible for the capital cost of projects period (highway or rapid transit).
I agree, and said that before also, that TL shouldn't be bearing the cost of massive infrastructure projects while the Province and Feds collect the majority of taxes on gasoline.

TL should be involved in planning and operating only. Especially considering the Pattullo bridge was once under the Province's control.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
why does translink have any authority over road infrastructure? i always thought they should only be in charge of transit like skytrains/buses/etc. BCMOT and municipalities should be in charge of roads.
So that regional transit and regional roads can grow in lockstep and be planned together - unless cities like New Westminster decide to stonewall the process (i.e. Braid and NFPR).

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:30 PM

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2014/09/21...-save-pattullo
By Michael Mui, 24 Hours Vancouver
Sunday, September 21, 2014 4:38:32 PDT PM

"The 77-year-old bridge, according to a seismic vulnerability assessment by Delcan Corporation, doesn’t meet current seismic standards.

Potholes are being caused by “delamination” — literally the deck splitting by layer into pieces, and have no direct relation to the weight of traffic above the deck.

Delaminations below the deck and on piers can cause concrete to break off — safety nets have now been installed below the bridge.

“It was also noted that the steel railngs and the down pipes used for drainage are heavily corroded and are in need of repair,” the report said.

“At this time, the possibility of a localized full thickness deck failure (a small or large but deep pothole that could cause damage to vehicles) cannot be ruled out.”"

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 10:59 AM

Replacement is not contingent on the successful outcome of the referendum

http://www.tricitynews.com/news/277967871.html

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 11:15 AM

Wow, ready to open in 2023?

I remember people on this exact thread way back in 2009 gasping at it opening in 2017.

Boy, would be nice to have that old schedule back.

They ruled out the 300 million dollar retrofit to add 20 to 30 years of life, thats good, but they are still blowing 100 million on a deck rehabilitation just to keep it operating for another 9 years....

Start building the Patullo next year and save the 100 million, it has been studied to death! We know what to do.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 12:56 PM

patullo bridge replacement

Only 4 lanes, though? That's a bit short-sighted, IMO.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:46 PM

Yes, almost everyone agrees with that (6 lanes is ideal with the two outer lanes being add / drop lanes at the approaches). but for some reason New West always seems to have the loudest voice in the room.

If you read closely though is will open with 4 lanes but built so that it can be expanded to 6 lanes.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:53 PM
ARTchitecture

Still no rendering on the new one eh? Damn.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Yes, almost everyone agrees with that (6 lanes is ideal with the two outer lanes being add / drop lanes at the approaches). but for some reason New West always seems to have the loudest voice in the room.

If you read closely though is will open with 4 lanes but built so that it can be expanded to 6 lanes.
Reading that made me happy. But kinda pissed that it took them this long to figure out to do this.

Just goes to show you new west didn't care one bit about the price. They just cared how many lanes were coming into their city.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 5:00 AM

http://www.tricitynews.com/news/286008121.html

Does it really make sense to be spending $100m on remediation work that could last for "up to three years" and then build a replacement 7-10 years from now? IMO they should close it now and start replacing it ASAP - save the 10%.

Last edited by GeeCee; Dec 17, 2014 at 5:11 AM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
http://www.tricitynews.com/news/286008121.html

Does it really make sense to be spending $100m on remediation work that could last for "up to three years" and then build a replacement 7-10 years from now? IMO they should close it now and start replacing it ASAP - save the 10%.
The bridge might just possibly be in that bad a shape that a very expensive band-aid is needed.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Good heavens, no! It's blasphemy to incite the closure of traffic lanes and the hampering of automobile movement!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure