HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 7:17 PM
JACKinBeantown

Capitol View Corridors

Would a building with a hole in the middle be sufficient to preserve the capitol view corridors? For example:

http://www.nikdaum.com/news/09shanghai1013.jpg
http://www.nikdaum.com

(p.s. - I posted this question in the general Austin thread but decided it was worth starting its own because people might have different information and/or opinions.)

-edited per Kevin's request below.

Last edited by JACKinBeantown; Dec 1, 2014 at 2:29 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 9:38 PM

The way I have read the CVC's is that the view is from a very specific location. As from "named bridge". That means the building would be allowed if the specific point named in the CVC maintains a view of the capitol.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 10:02 PM
Meh

^Make sure when you credit photos with links that you post the link to the actual website, not just the image link. That way people can go to the website to see where the photo came from.

My guess is it would technically satisfy the capitol view corridor rules. The rule says only the dome of the Capitol is protected, and that the dome cannot be blocked in the view. There's even a view corridor down Congress Avenue, so that suggests that if a developer really wanted to they could develop a tower on two lots on either side of the street with the tower straddling Congress. Of course that would look awful, but I think it would be rather interesting in some of the view corridors. Now, it's not something I would want to see repeated over and over because it would take away the uniqueness of the arched/framed building design, but as a single one it could be really interesting.

One of the better looking "hole" buildings is Paris' La Grande Arche. The building is a 361 foot tall cube. Some of the far off views of it framing the skyline are really interesting and pleasing to the eye. Imagine something like that framing the Capitol dome off in the distance. I would imagine something like this for the west side of downtown along the corridor that cuts through the properties of The Bowie, The Monarch, 360 and 5th & West. Of course, because of the angle of that corridor, it would need to be a rhombus instead of a cube.

http://www.emporis.com/images/list/b...puteaux-france

Of course, whether these designs would cut the mustard with the Nimby types, I doubt it, but I would assume a building like that would be within the rules.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 2:31 AM
JACKinBeantown

Thanks, guys.

Kevin, that's the area I was looking at in one of your photos and Google maps satellite view when I thought of it. There are already a couple buildings at angles because of the view corridors, and I think I saw a property with the corridor splitting right through the middle. So it could be done if someone wanted to.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin