HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 10:13 PM

^ Um, okay, I'm not aware of everything here. But keep thinking business, people (and wide spread [free!] education is a crucial strategy for effective business indeed), it's the way to survive in this still competition world. So you shouldn't crush (helpful) businesses with taxes. It has to be something well balanced I guess.

The results reported in that article are encouraging, though. You just can't deny that. But cuts on education would be wrong to me for sure.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 7:40 AM
TL;DR

I had to laugh at your signature... Louisiana taxes are so low that we can't afford any of those things.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 10:51 AM

^ I'm sorry. And I apologize for that off topic thing, it's my fault. It's just that if we don't manage to get business friendly enough over here, we might end up sinking in deep shit like freaking Greece and losing those social basics we've had for long one of these days. So I tend to naively take places keeping their tax rates lower than ours as role models, but it's certainly inappropriate about the US states where students still have to pay unreasonable fees to access college.

I often tell myself though, it's funny how the US, that needs to get more social and France, that has to learn how to support its entrepreneurs are in complete opposite excesses in the public/government assistance matter. There's a spectacular gap between the 2 attitudes and the right thing that works better is located somewhere in that gap.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 4:32 PM

That well written article by Forbes is better news than expected. I hope the fight to clean up political and civic corruption continues.

Has anyone heard anything recently on the proposal to or build a new Airport on the west bank at the intersection of State Hwy 3127, Interstate 310 and Hwy 90 (future Interstate 49/West Bank expressway)? Just over the Luling-Destrehan (Hale Boggs) Bridge? Supposedly, to be built between St Hwy 3127 and Lac Des Allemands it was to have a passenger, air cargo and water cargo terminal with a deep water canal dredged from the Mississippi to the airport site with high speed rail looping up The WB Expressway to downtown then up I-10 back to the airport via Hale Boggs bridge. Was this just pie in the sky or is it DOA? With the expansion plans at Louis Armstrong, It doesn't sound like anything soon. Does anyone know if the City of New Orleans purchased the property or is this still in the works?

Last edited by NOLAforME; Jan 7, 2013 at 5:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
^ Um, okay, I'm not aware of everything here. But keep thinking business, people (and wide spread [free!] education is a crucial strategy for effective business indeed), it's the way to survive in this still competition world. So you shouldn't crush (helpful) businesses with taxes. It has to be something well balanced I guess.

The results reported in that article are encouraging, though. You just can't deny that. But cuts on education would be wrong to me for sure.
If businesses were to pay a reasonable tax on education especially higher education, it could help lower tuition and make it accessible to more citizens of the state. Especially if it were only for residents and not out of state students. We need more people like Patrick Taylor with his philanthropic attitude and educational reformist ideas.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 7:35 PM
-

Guys I dont come here for political discussion can we please get back on topic.

New Orleans Most Anticipated Restaurant Openings, 2013

2012 was a break through year in terms of restaurant openings from Maurepas Foods to Restaurant R'evolution, but will 2013 be even bigger? If this is any proof, here are ten of Eater Nola's Most Anticipated Openings. From big names like Donald Link and Dickie Brennan, to innovative chefs like Phillip Lopez, Nathaniel Zimet, and Ian Schnoebelen, and even pop-up renegade Neil McClure, this year's openings are promise everything from barbecue to Asian street food, offering a wealth of diverse dining options throughout New Orleans.

http://nola.eater.com/archives/2013/...-2013.php#more

Buff Beauty Bar Opens in the New Orleans CBD

Buff Beauty Bar, a new salon that offers manicures, pedicures, facial peels, waxing, and makeup recently opened on 720 Carondelet St. in the CBD. The new salon also plans to open a blow dry bar soon.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Guys I dont come here for political discussion can we please get back on topic.

New Orleans Most Anticipated Restaurant Openings, 2013

2012 was a break through year in terms of restaurant openings from Maurepas Foods to Restaurant R'evolution, but will 2013 be even bigger? If this is any proof, here are ten of Eater Nola's Most Anticipated Openings. From big names like Donald Link and Dickie Brennan, to innovative chefs like Phillip Lopez, Nathaniel Zimet, and Ian Schnoebelen, and even pop-up renegade Neil McClure, this year's openings are promise everything from barbecue to Asian street food, offering a wealth of diverse dining options throughout New Orleans.

http://nola.eater.com/archives/2013/...-2013.php#more

Buff Beauty Bar Opens in the New Orleans CBD

Buff Beauty Bar, a new salon that offers manicures, pedicures, facial peels, waxing, and makeup recently opened on 720 Carondelet St. in the CBD. The new salon also plans to open a blow dry bar soon.
I actually have the larger version of that Sputnik light in my living room. It was one thing my wife insisted on and I was not going to argue. Love those things!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 8:53 PM
-

Avery Alexander School

Project Type Building Use Status
New Construction
Site Work Educational Design
Sector Est. Start Date
Public Tuesday, January 21, 2014
Estimated Value*
$5,000,000.00
Address
5800 Saint Roch Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70122
Orleans County
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA Region

Description Site work and new construction of an educational development in New Orleans. Preliminary design development plans call for the construction of a new elementary school.

The architect is working on preliminary design development plans and the project is still conceptual. A firm construction timeline has yet to be established. No inquiries will be accepted at this time.

Sherwood Forest Elementary

New Construction
Sector Est. Start Date
Public Tuesday, March 11, 2014
Estimated Value*
$5,000,000.00
Address
4801 Maid Marian Dr.
New Orleans, LA 70128
Orleans County

Description Site work and new construction of an educational development in New Orleans. Preliminary design development plans call for the construction of a new elementary school.

The architect is working on preliminary design development plans and the project is still conceptual. A firm construction timeline has yet to be established. No inquiries will be accepted at this time.

Ernest Morial School
New Construction
Sector Est. Start Date
Public Tuesday, February 4, 2014
Estimated Value*
$5,000,000.00
Address
7701 Grant St.
New Orleans, LA 70126
Orleans County

RiverSphere Center
New Construction
Site Work Educational
Museum
Parking Garage
Power Plant
Conference / Convention Centers Design
Sector Est. Start Date
Private Monday, October 7, 2013
Estimated Value* Square Footage
$12,000,000.00 77580
Address
Race Street and Peter Street
New Orleans, LA 70112
Orleans County

Description Site work and new construction of a mixed-use development in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the construction of a 77,580-square-foot mixed-use development that will include a museum, classrooms, hydroelectric plant, parking garage, laboratories, and a conference center.

This project is in the planning stages. A firm construction timeline has not been set. Construction is anticipated before first quarter 2014. No inquiries accepted at this time

The Krewe of Bacchus is Building a New Den
Posted on January 7, 2013 by gnorealestatenews
The Krewe of Bacchus is building a new den on Claiborne near Earhart Blvd. Krewe dens are buildings where floats of Mardi Gras Krewes are constructed, refurbished, and stored

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:

RiverSphere Center
New Construction
Site Work Educational
Museum
Parking Garage
Power Plant
Conference / Convention Centers Design
Sector Est. Start Date
Private Monday, October 7, 2013
Estimated Value* Square Footage
$12,000,000.00 77580
Address
Race Street and Peter Street
New Orleans, LA 70112
Orleans County

Description Site work and new construction of a mixed-use development in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the construction of a 77,580-square-foot mixed-use development that will include a museum, classrooms, hydroelectric plant, parking garage, laboratories, and a conference center.

This project is in the planning stages. A firm construction timeline has not been set. Construction is anticipated before first quarter 2014. No inquiries accepted at this time
Whoa. It's been a while since I heard anything about this... and it includes a hydroelectric plant? The envirogeek side of me is pretty excited right now.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAforME View Post
That well written article by Forbes is better news than expected. I hope the fight to clean up political and civic corruption continues.

Has anyone heard anything recently on the proposal to or build a new Airport on the west bank at the intersection of State Hwy 3127, Interstate 310 and Hwy 90 (future Interstate 49/West Bank expressway)? Just over the Luling-Destrehan (Hale Boggs) Bridge? Supposedly, to be built between St Hwy 3127 and Lac Des Allemands it was to have a passenger, air cargo and water cargo terminal with a deep water canal dredged from the Mississippi to the airport site with high speed rail looping up The WB Expressway to downtown then up I-10 back to the airport via Hale Boggs bridge. Was this just pie in the sky or is it DOA? With the expansion plans at Louis Armstrong, It doesn't sound like anything soon. Does anyone know if the City of New Orleans purchased the property or is this still in the works?

This was a reassessment of the Ascension Parish Project that was to replace Louis Armstrong during Gov. Edwards last term. It was supposed to "knock out of the water" the plans the Mississippi Gulf Coast had for building a large Intercontinental/Cargo Airport to serve the Gulf Coast region (including New Orleans) pushed by a Senator from that state. It would have put Armstrong out of business and taken away much of the port activity. The plan to place the Airport between Baton Rouge and New Orleans fell through. Other developers were looking at the sight in St. Charles parish (the site you mentioned above) and a Canadian Firm was highly interested. I think 9-11 had much to do with it all falling through. But it would have been a big boost to the region, especially at the intersection of two interstates and plenty of expansion room. We could use an Intercontinental Airport to help boost trade and tourism with Central and South America and it would help generate an even better business climate than we have seen develop these past couple of years. The high speed rail loop down the WB Expressway over the CCC to downtown and continuing on through with stops in East Jefferson and back to the Airport over the Luling bridge was a great idea, just not the time for any of it to happen.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 2:29 AM
TL;DR

The HOV lanes on the CCC were designed to be converted to light rail, but they could easily carry mainline rail instead.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 5:55 AM
-

Submitted my development plans today to the BZA and HDLC.. heres a little glimpse of one side of it. Whats your impressions guys?

Its located on Diamond Street and St Joseph Street. The building is 6 floors with a seventh floor common rooftop area. Also below is an idea of the restaurant/lounge Im doing on the bottom floor.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Submitted my development plans today to the BZA and HDLC.. heres a little glimpse of one side of it. Whats your impressions guys?

Its located on Diamond Street and St Joseph Street. The building is 6 floors with a seventh floor common rooftop area. Also below is an idea of the restaurant/lounge Im doing on the bottom floor.

I'd buy one!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 6:27 AM
-

When i start presales will let you know! Should be in about two months maybe less!

I have a 7300 sqft penthouse with two private terraces for sale

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 7:12 AM
TL;DR

Floorplan doesn't match the rendering.

It's nice, I like the balconies. What is the exterior material? Red concrete? Or is that supposed to represent brick?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 7:13 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Floorplan doesn't match the rendering.

It's nice, I live the balconies. What is the exterior material? Red concrete? Or is that supposed to represent brick?
Not sure what your talking about with the floorplan not matching the rendering. It may be confusing what I posted. The restaurant shown above is on the St Joseph side. The elevation you see is for Diamond Street.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 8, 2013 at 7:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Not sure what your talking about with the floorplan not matching the rendering. It may be confusing what I posted. The restaurant shown above is on the St Joseph side. The elevation you see is for Diamond Street.

Quite Honestly, It looks like a very well thought out project and the design captures several historical design elements from different periods that come together without overpowering any one architectural element. I doubt the HDLC would have a problem or a complaint, but keep us posted! Good luck! Is the Facade scored synthetic stucco, or brick?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 4:15 PM

That looks great tennis- I went ahead and pulled up the bird's eye view on Google- this is a big improvement.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 4:52 PM

Quote:

Love the exterior. My only change would be to make the bottom floor a few feet taller - but I know that costs $$.

If you're doing a restaurant/lounge on the bottom floor just make sure there's plenty of insulation/sound dampening between that and the next floor, or a taller ground floor will help that too.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 5:02 PM

I would suggest making it dog friendly too. Almost every place that allows pets is bursting at the seams (930, Hibernia tower...) and even most condos in the area now don't allow them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations