HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 8:01 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Shoal Creek

I thought we could have a single thread for the improvements along Shoal Creek. I did a quick search and didn't see any threads solely about the creek.

Seaholm/Shoal Creek Area Update May '13 (PDF): http://austintexas.gov/sites/default...ap_May2013.pdf

This project will fill the gap in the trail between 3rd & 5th. I read last night that it will be a 14' wall and a 10' wide concrete trail for bikes and pedestrians. I don't know how old that info is. Does anyone have plans or visuals on how this stretch will look?

Also, they will be building the 2nd Street bridge over Shoal Creek. These renderings have been posted before, but since it has to do with the creek, I figured I'd put them here.

PDF with the renderings found here: http://austintexas.gov/sites/default...renderings.pdf

The peninsula restoration should be wrapping up soon. Does anyone have any photos they've taken recently?

http://austintexas.gov/shoalcreekpeninsula

Project includes:

-Reinforcing the eroded shoreline along Lady Bird Lake with limestone boulders
-Repaving the trail with concrete, and adding a new walkway on the western half of the peninsula that connects to the existing trail
-Removing dumped concrete and failing retaining walls from the peninsula’s perimeter, and reconstructing a sloped shoreline along the inside and tip of the peninsula
-Landscaping the peninsula with native vegetation and removal of some of the invasive species

Shoal Creek restoration between 15th & 28th through Pease Park should be starting soon, if it hasn't already.

http://austintexas.gov/shoalcreekrestoration

Project includes:

-Bank stabilization for approximately 3,000 feet of the creek
-Improvement of creek access points and installation of rock creek crossings
-Extension of a pervious, paved trail from 24th Street to Shoal Creek Blvd., and addition of unpaved, informal paths throughout the park
-Installation of infiltration areas and vegetated swales in Pease Park in order to better manage stormwater runoff that enters the park
-Removal of approximately 1,900 feet of wastewater line from Shoal Creek
-Soil restoration and re-establishment of creekside native vegetation

Before

After

Video from about a year ago
Video Link

I also wanted to share this site: www.shoalcreekconservancy.org. There are some really great photos there and some good ideas too. I really like a couple of them.

1. Restore the 3rd Street Trestle and turn it into a Highline-esque park over Shoal Creek. I do think there's potential there.

photo courtesy of Ted Eubanks (http://tedeubanks.smugmug.com/Journa...4552&k=sz5SBD9)

2. Restore all of the bridges over Shoal Creek and get them listed in the National Registry. Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
Our goal is to collect the histories of these remarkable structures, and then apply to have the entire group listed in the National Register. There are few cities that can brag of a collection of PWA-era bridges within such a short distance. If you have information concerning the history of any of our bridges, please contact us. We will be most appreciative!

The bridges of Shoal Creek between Lady Bird Lake and W 45th are listed below. Those marked with an asterisk are bridges for which we have general dates but need more information about the specific years of completing. Those with a question mark are bridges for which we have no information.

Lamar Bridge (1942)
Lamar (Pfluger) Pedestrian Bridge (2001)
Cesar Chavez Bridge (*1930′s)
W 3rd Street Railroad Trestle (?)
W 5th Street Bridge (1931)
W. 6th Street Bridge (1887)
West 9th Street Bridge (*1930s)
West 10th Street Bridge (*1930s)
West 12th Street Bridge (*1930s)
Lamar Bridge @ House Park (*1930s)
West 15th Street Bridge (?)
West 24th Street Bridge (built 1928, rehab 1939)
Shoal Creek Blvd @ dog park (?)
Gaston @ dog park (?)
West 29th Street Bridge (1938)
State Street Bridge (1916)
West 34th Street Bridge (1939)
West 38th Street Bridge (?)
W 45th Street Bridge (?)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 10:15 PM

Good idea, this area has so much potential. I really liked the idea of the park going over the creek as well.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 11:31 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
Good idea, this area has so much potential. I really liked the idea of the park going over the creek as well.
I agree...however, I believe any redevelopment of the "Energy Control Center" site will require a 3rd Street connection into downtown. It will be quite hard to secure funding for and owners/tenants of the proposed 482 units should there not be a direct connection into downtown from the site.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 11:47 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Good point. 3rd Street might be extended like 2nd Street is about to be. That would likely replace the trestle and pedestrian bridge next to it.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 1:04 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Was looking at the map again. Could they keep the pedestrian bridge for the connection to downtown, make the trestle a park-like area, and people at ECC using their cars would just have to use 5th Street?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 8:30 PM
Member since 2001

Could they? Yes. Will they? More than likely, No.

I cannot imagine there isn't a requirement for direct access into downtown from the site (i.e., the extension of 3rd St.). The city, I believe, would not agree to increasing the traffic on 5th Street if a 3rd Street option was available.

Also, it will be difficult to explain the lack of direct access to any potential capital partner in the project.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 8:33 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I thought everyone wanted pedestrians and cyclists.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 7:09 AM
Everywhere all at once

Maybe this is a stupid question, but it's been eating at me and I'm sure one if not most of you know the answer..

Is there a Shoal Creek Tunnel? By which I mean is there a flood control mechanism already in place similar to the currently-under-construction Waller Creek infrastructure that allows for such close-in development. I imagine with all the development existing and planned along Shoal, this would be necessary, and better to install before tons of towers rise on its banks...unless it isn't necessary because the creek isn't prone to the same flooding? Someone help me out here

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 7:35 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

There is no tunnel like under Waller Creek. They have done some other things, like upgrading the Great Northern Detention Pond and Dam (http://allandale.typepad.com/allanda...-on-great.html) in 2010.

Shoal Creek can be an absolute killer during a flood.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 4:44 AM
Honored Member

This is a great thread, Izppjb, thanks for pointing me to it. I think it might become active again in the near future, with all that's happening in that area.

Interesting to see the discussion of a 3rd Street extension/connection over the creek, as i just posted in the Independent thread that I don't think it's needed or wanted. 3rd Street isn't how one would drive to I-35 from the Independent even if it were completed, while nearly everyone who needs to "commute" to "downtown" (over the creek) for work or play will walk or ride a bike. Keeping it as a pedestrian-and-bike-only bridge would be in keeping with the need to get people out of their cars and make Austin less auto-centric, and it would be better for the aesthetics of the Shoal Creek greenbelt.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 6:06 AM
World Traveler

Agreed. I would support a rail bridge across if they were to ever connect the downtown metro station with the eventual LSR station, but there's not a real need for an auto bridge. While it may add convenience to a few, there are plenty of other options in that area. Folks who live around there would probably prefer pedestrian/bike as opposed to cars using it as a through street.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 7:05 PM

I think people are forgetting that Seaholm Dr. will soon open between 3rd and Cesar Chavez. They are also forgetting that 2nd will ultimately connect to West Ave. which will also go through to Cesar Chavez. Drummer is right, there is little reason to add another vehicle bridge over Shoal Creek at 3rd. The connectivity of that area to the rest of downtown should be just fine.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 9:14 PM

I agree that the extension of the downtown grid isn't necessary and perhaps should be discouraged because the area is not really CBD at all. It's a dense and tall, sure, but it's also a residential oriented, walkable neighborhood that is adjacent to downtown. Downtown has more hotel and commercial property.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 11:05 PM
World Traveler

Correct me if I'm wrong, those of you who know the areas of Austin better than me, but doesn't the official downtown area extend all the way to Lamar? That would absolutely place this area in CBD, albeit on the edge of it by a couple of blocks. Just curious - I could be wrong.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 11:20 PM
Meh

Yeah, downtown is officially defined now as the area between Lamar and I-35 east to west, and from north to south from 19th (MLK) to Cesar Chavez. Although, the Rainey Street area is south of Cesar Chavez Street, but that area was also always included in part of downtown. It just wasn't zoned CBD.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 12:45 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, those of you who know the areas of Austin better than me, but doesn't the official downtown area extend all the way to Lamar? That would absolutely place this area in CBD, albeit on the edge of it by a couple of blocks. Just curious - I could be wrong.
Shoal Creek was originally the western border of downtown and Waller Creek was the eastern border.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 2:21 AM
Honored Member

From crick ta crick, then from newfangled highway to yon paved cattle trail, by crackey. But what I'd like to know is which way is uptown? Ain't no city what doesn't have an uptown, my pappy always used ta say.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 2:52 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
From crick ta crick, then from newfangled highway to yon paved cattle trail, by crackey. But what I'd like to know is which way is uptown? Ain't no city what doesn't have an uptown, my pappy always used ta say.
What?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 3:28 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Don't worry. I understood you. haha

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:13 AM
World Traveler

Didn't I see you on Dukes of Hazard?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin