HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 5:46 AM

Frankfort, Kentucky 2011: Downtown, Capital Plaza Derelicts

Much has improved in Frankfort, Kentucky since I last did a walking tour of downtown, the Corner in Celebrities Historic District (part of the Central Frankfort District historic overlay), and the Capital Plaza complex. For instance, the Grand Theatre has been reopened after a thorough restoration and has drawn large crowds to St. Clair Street. The once-charred buildings across the street, started by an arsonist, have all but been restored - although some work is still progressing. And Broadway has been narrowed to include bike lanes. And ground has been broken for the new judicial center.

1 The prominent corner office building is slated for restoration.

2 Woof!

3 The restored Grand Theatre.

4 St. Clair Street with the formerly gutted buildings to the left.

5 The out-of-character parking garage adjacent to the Grand may be demolished.

6 Corner in Celebrities Historic District

The walking tour ended with the dilapidated Capital Plaza complex. Consisting of the newly renovated Capital Plaza Hotel - the newest building out of them all, the Capital Plaza Office Tower, the Frankfort Convention Center, the Frankfort YMCA and the John C. Watts Federal Building, the location was looking worse for the wear and in need of substantial repair and replacement.

The first building to be completed on the site was the 28-level Capital Plaza Office Tower in 1967. Stretching at 338-feet high, it is the tallest building in Frankfort. The YMCA was completed in 1969, and the Federal Building in the 1970s. The hotel was not built until 1984, and opened as a 189-room Holiday Inn.

7 Capital Plaza Complex

8 A view towards the Watts plaza, which is in remarkably good condition. It also shows what the original plaza once looked like in color.

9 The plaza has seen better days.

10 The dated Frankfort Convention Center.

11 While downtown was bustling, the Capital Plaza was empty. Completely empty.

12 Looking towards Fountain Place Shops - nearly all deserted, the now turned-off fountain and the office tower.

13 Advanced deterioration has all but left outright replacement for the plaza.

14 The Capital Plaza Hotel from Fountain Place Shops.

15 Nearly vacant Fountain Place Shops.

16 A view towards the YMCA and downtown.

17 Capital Plaza

18 A broken planter rests in front of the YMCA.

How deteriorated is the plaza complex? Take for instance the office tower, where it's sufficiency rating is only 35 out of 100 which is nearing unsatisfactory and requiring replacement - or greater than 50% of its replacement cost. The tower exterior needs repaired, along with the curtain wall. The exterior glass needs replacing, the restrooms need to be reconfigured, and the escalators need replacing. Along with the outdated stairwells that need modernization, the roof needs replacement, as does the plumbing, HVAC, fire alarm system, light fixtures, data and electrical service, cooling tower and electrical system.

The plazas have so badly deteriorated that it makes as much fiscal since to tear them down and replace them with ground-level features than to continue to support the outdated design it features today. The plaza has been rarely used in the past decade, and is so detached from the street scene that it stands to be demolished in place of something more street friendly.

19 Good night from Frankfort!

More of my Frankfort, Kentucky photos can be found here --
http://urbanup.net/cities/kentucky/frankfort-kentucky/

They are not all up in order yet, since I just got my new hard drive in and will be processing the older images from backup soon.

Last edited by Sherman Cahal; Jun 28, 2011 at 2:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 8:29 AM

Call me crazy, but I like the plaza -- a lot. And I usually hate modern post-war crap like that.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 2:40 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Great tour.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 2:45 PM

Never seen Frankfort. Thanks Sherman.

The Capitol plaza looks like it belongs in eastern Europe... an abandoned relic of communism.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 3:01 PM

I think the plaza is kind of cool. But, it probably needs to be in the middle of an extremely busy & dense city to work. Frankfort looks like a nice little city.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 3:02 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

calling all skatepunks!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 5:41 PM

Nice pictures. That skyscraper seems too ambitious for such a small city like Frankfort.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 6:02 PM
Community Guy

But what about the hair corral?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 6:55 PM

Well, in 1950, Frankfort had a population of just 12,000. By the time the plaza was proposed, the population had surged past 18,300 - a 54% gain in one decade. By 1970, when all but the hotel was finished, the population had risen to 22,000 - no small gains. Perhaps the motivation behind the complex was that the population would continue to gain at a rapid pace - but it's only reached its peak in 2000 with 27,000.

The design is pretty poor, too. Not only does the plaza bury two main east and west thoroughfare, it all but blocks street access to the Fountain Place Shops and places an unnecessary maintenance burden on the city. The plazas are not -that- old and are practically abandoned. There was a time until the late-1980s when they were heavily used for festivals and gatherings, and I remember as a child visiting the site and seeing it very well maintained. Flowers were planted, the shops were open and full, and the fountains were working.

Too bad the plaza required the demolition of many historic houses too...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos