HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 9:27 PM
BANNED

^ Mellon looks great in that photo.

Wasn't too sure about the 2-tone paint job (generally, it just doesn't work... whether it's a dining room, an '85 Buick Century, or a 50-story steel-clad skyscraper), as the "bronze sections appeared a bit brown for me, but I haven't seen it since it's been finished (is it finished?).

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 9:31 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Edge View Post
I too have to agree with former Mayor Tom Murphy on this one. I have always looked at the strip site as the next frontier to expand Pittsburgh's CBD. The architecture shown in the Buncher renderings look like the same buildings we have been seeing in this area for over a decade...Brick on the bottom with some sort of glass skyline feature on top with a canted roof. Yawn. All he is suggesting is that we can do better than this. Anything along the waters edge should be stimulating and dynamic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Welcome, East Edge!

And I agree completely. It is absurd that Zober gets so defensive when anyone suggests we should be aiming for a higher standard of development at the Buncher site... always responding with "it's private property and Buncher can do whatever they want with it and we should be grateful to them... it's better than a parking lot!".

I think this city has proven in recent years... that we are not a dying backwater desperate for any construction project. We can demand great urban design... and Mayor Murphy deserves some measure of credit for his vision.
I also agree with former Mayor Tom Murphy's vision for the Strip. He wants the neighborhood to continue to have the dynamic it's had for so long, but he wants to see something with a "wow" factor. I agree that Bunchar's plan is, well, OK, but there's nothing all that impressive about it.

I would like to see some additional details of Mr. Murphy's vision, if he even has a vision to publish. I'm sure most of us on here would like to hear them as well.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 10:15 PM

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/job...op-there/4088/

Interesting article and check out this photo! looked like someone has photoshoped the signs off the buildings

"Mayor Ravenstahl has a strong vision for what has to happen," lol.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 11:11 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

HaHa. They use a Picture of Smithfield street and gives credit to.... Image courtesy of the "Downtown Action Strategy," prepared by the city of Pittsburgh and the Urban Redevelopment Authority.
But it's just an image from google maps street view.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 11:16 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrohy View Post
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/job...op-there/4088/

Interesting article and check out this photo! looked like someone has photoshoped the signs off the buildings

"Mayor Ravenstahl has a strong vision for what has to happen," lol.
Ugh... I can't seem to go a day without reading more of Zober's drivel.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 12:12 AM

More parking garages means fewer surface parking lots. I don't like parking requirements or public subsidies for parking, but generally I recognize parking garages are a necessary evil.

I sense some people may be reading more into Murphy's comments than was actually there. He had some specific criticisms that I think are well-taken (including a criticism of the amount of surface parking), but I didn't sense he was necessarily thinking in really grand terms with a radically different vision.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 1:58 AM
World Class City

Agree 100%. The paint job and signage on BNY Mellon's 80's style building updates the look of it and looks great at night. Now...If we can just convince K&L Gates to paint that awful red color of their building that clashes with the pink Highmark building and the green PNC building. At first i didnt like the green glass of the PNC thinking that we would hate it in 20 years like the gold glass on the wdve building in Greentree. However, i think its the dated red color of K&L Gates right next to it that bothers me more. I think a nice dark color like USX or Westinghouse would be really rich and create a nice backdrop for the newer buildings being erected. I sure hope the glass on the new PNC Tower isn't as GREEN colored as the last one tho.

original image by inhabitant.com

Last edited by East Edge; Dec 7, 2012 at 3:34 AM. Reason: Added pictures i think

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 11:22 AM

I like it better red. The brown version looks really boring to me, and too much like One PNC.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 1:36 PM

Grand Theater Restoration - Steubenville, OH

This project is 40 minutes from Pittsburgh, but I thought you all might still be interested. It is the restoration of a group of buildings that will become a performing arts center. This project is one of several that are meant to spur the revitalization of downtown Steubenville.

http://www.historicsteubenville.org/Photos.htm

The street front buildings were constructed in 1885 and the theater building was built behind them in 1925.

I am doing the condition assessment & feasibility study for this. The theater has sat empty since 1979 and 30 years of moisture damage has ruined most of the finishes. The structure is in decent condition in most areas though.

The foundation that is spearheading the project is applying for CLG grants that are set aside for historic preservation projects like this. They are also exploring the option of seeking LEED Certification.

They are having an open house on Saturday and giving tours of the auditorium, if any of you want to see it first hand.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 2:26 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
^ Mellon looks great in that photo.

Wasn't too sure about the 2-tone paint job (generally, it just doesn't work... whether it's a dining room, an '85 Buick Century, or a 50-story steel-clad skyscraper), as the "bronze sections appeared a bit brown for me, but I haven't seen it since it's been finished (is it finished?).
2-tone paint jobs are often very high end. I don't know why you don't like them unless your only frame of reference is for "85 Buick's".

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 2:38 PM
Eurosceptic

I absolutely LOVE the red color of the K&L Gates building... one of my favorite things about our skyline.

I also love Mellon's new paint job... I think people were prematurely reacting when the paint job was in progress... yes, it looked really weird for a few months... but the end product is awesome.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 2:39 PM
Eurosceptic

Thank you for the Steubenville update, Topher.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 3:11 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
I absolutely LOVE the red color of the K&L Gates building... one of my favorite things about our skyline.

I also love Mellon's new paint job... I think people were prematurely reacting when the paint job was in progress... yes, it looked really weird for a few months... but the end product is awesome.
Yes, it was certainly a long process to paint that building. The end result looks great. Also the red K&L gates is awesome. I would be super sad if it were painted black.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 3:41 PM

Count me in for liking the red.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 4:07 PM

New Poster - Any info on Convention Center Hotel?

Hello everyone! I have been following all of your posts avidly for quite some time now and I thought I would join the conversation. I am fairly new to the city - have been here for two and a half years now - and I absolutely love it. I keep falling more in love with this place with every new building, park (RiverLife is great!) and development, and I can't get enough of the news, so this forum is perfect. Thanks for all of the updates you've provided so far.

Question:: Does anyone know if there has been any further update on the future Convention Center hotel? This article from summer 2010 was when they put it out for proposals. http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg....html?page=all A new hotel there would be an incredibly exciting project... Also, where are they planning on fitting it in? Doesn't seem to be much room between the Convention Center, Westin, etc. (Also slightly confused as to how the Westin is not considered the Convention Center hotel?) Thank you in advance for any info!

Best, JDG

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 4:30 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Thank you for the Steubenville update, Topher.
I like that update as well. Is steubenville still trying to market itself as a bedroom community of Pittsburgh? I know the airport is only 20 minutes away now since they've opened the Findlay Connector. I wonder how many folks commute to/from Pittsburgh. It would be nice to see Steubenville become part of the CSA or even the MSA...
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
Count me in for liking the red.
Same here, and I, too, like the BNY Mellon paint job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
Hello everyone! I have been following all of your posts avidly for quite some time now and I thought I would join the conversation. I am fairly new to the city - have been here for two and a half years now - and I absolutely love it. I keep falling more in love with this place with every new building, park (RiverLife is great!) and development, and I can't get enough of the news, so this forum is perfect. Thanks for all of the updates you've provided so far.

Question:: Does anyone know if there has been any further update on the future Convention Center hotel? This article from summer 2010 was when they put it out for proposals. http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg....html?page=all A new hotel there would be an incredibly exciting project... Also, where are they planning on fitting it in? Doesn't seem to be much room between the Convention Center, Westin, etc. (Also slightly confused as to how the Westin is not considered the Convention Center hotel?) Thank you in advance for any info!

Best, JDG
Buon Giorno! Glad to hear you love the Burgh! That was the last time I heard anything about the convention center hotel as well. They've since shrunk the overall size down to 300 from 500 rooms, and I believe Omni and another hotel chain have expressed interest in developing such a hote. As for its location, I believe it is going to go on top of the convention center. If you look closely at the convention center, you'll notice two relatively flat areas tha straddle an outdoor promenade. I believe they were proposing to put the hotel there. Altho, there is an even larger flat top roof that I think would be better suited for a large hotel to sit on top of...

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 5:19 PM

I believe the plan is to have the hotel straddle Tenth between the Convention Center and Penn (right now there are surface parking lots on either side of Tenth in this location).

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 7:56 PM

The crane is being put together on the PNC Tower site.

Love that Steubenville project. I'm a big fan of old theaters and that place is a beauty. Too bad it was allowed to decay to that point.

I went to the Northway Mall meeting the other night. Looks like a good redevelopment for what its worth. They have a long way to go.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
The crane is being put together on the PNC Tower site.

Love that Steubenville project. I'm a big fan of old theaters and that place is a beauty. Too bad it was allowed to decay to that point.

I went to the Northway Mall meeting the other night. Looks like a good redevelopment for what its worth. They have a long way to go.
Where is Northway Mall? Forgive me for asking...

Also, there was an article recently in either the PG or the Trib about Parkway Center Mall's final days that I didn't have a chance to read. I just found it -- in the trib. Here's the link for it.

http://triblive.com/business/headlin...#axzz2EDYvYT6I

It's essentially talking about what the remaining vendors' plans are once their stores close. Some will stay within the area, while some others still are unsure. Giant Eagle will stick around tho.

As for what development fills in, I'd like to see a main street-type development come in offering a mix of retail and residential use. Buildings could be 3-4 floors, with ground-level retail and 2-3 levels of apartments or condos on top. Giant Eagle could be an anchor for such a development IMO...

Last edited by Jonboy1983; Dec 8, 2012 at 12:25 AM. Reason: added question -- that was answered

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 1:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Edge View Post
Now...If we can just convince K&L Gates to paint that awful red color of their building that clashes with the pink Highmark building and the green PNC building... However, i think its the dated red color of K&L Gates right next to it that bothers me more. I think a nice dark color like USX or Westinghouse would be really rich and create a nice backdrop for the newer buildings being erected.
I think the red One Oliver Plaza (K&L Gates) is actually one of the best things about the Pittsburgh skyline. The International style skyscraper lends a "big city" feel to what is essentially a pretty small downtown area. It's a standout, in a very good way, in my opinion. Like how the similar Continental building stands out on Chicago's skyline:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
2-tone paint jobs are often very high end. I don't know why you don't like them unless your only frame of reference is for "85 Buick's".
For a classic ride or modern Rolls Royce, Bentley, Bugatti, sure... other than that, pretty cheesy... like IROC Z28 territory.

Though I think I'll definitely like the Mellon finished product (I haven't seen it complete yet), it was reminding me a little of this lovely from '79 before it was done:

... or a brown and gold version of this two-tone gem from '85 (I only used it as an example because I learned to drive on a badass mofo like this ):

Quote:
Si senor

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations