HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Hudson Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Detroit Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:07 PM

There may be underground prep work going on in the garage which has to be demolished who know's though it's possible we won't see anything major until spring.

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:08 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

There really isn't much guess work in this. We've been given a schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Here's the approximate timeline for the project:
  • end of 2017-spring 2018: demolition, earth retention, temporary electrical installation
  • summer/fall 2018: demolition of some of the underground garage foundation
  • fall 2018: building tower foundations
  • spring 2019: parking deck foundations and structure
  • spring 2019: building the tower structure
  • summer 2019: building the block structure
  • fall 2019: mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection system installation
  • fall 2019: site utilities
  • fall/winter 2020: enclosure of the block and tower
  • winter 2020: elevator and escalator installation
  • spring 2021: building interiors and finishes
  • summer 2022: final site work

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...e-construction

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 2:01 PM

Not much new news, but the News did a piece this morning on the observation deck.

Quote:

Daniel Mears | The Detroit News

Hudson’s project has big plans for observation deck

By Candice Williams | The Detroit News

February 14, 2018

Detroit — The city will get its first modern observation deck when work is complete on the Hudson’s site project at some point beyond 2020.

The deck will crown the 800-foot tower of the yet unnamed $1 billion development at Woodward and Gratiot — what will be Detroit’s tallest building.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...eck/110392362/
Quote:
Bedrock officials say the deck could have multiple levels.

“There could possibly be multiple views or multiple floors,” Witherspoon said. “We haven’t ironed out all the details yet. It will be the tallest building in Michigan, so we hope it gives an active view and is a dynamic place that everyone can enjoy.”

Bedrock is working in collaboration with Detroit-based Hamilton Anderson and New York-based SHoP Architects on the project.
This kind of explains why the top has never been properly rendered: It's not yet fully designed.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:07 PM

^wow, I wasn't aware that SHoP Architects is involved in this project. That's huge, they do absolute top notch work, see Steinway Tower (111 W57th) and 9 DeKalb Avenue in New York for examples. This will be stunning, I didn't think I could be any more excited already!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:12 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Not much new news, but the News did a piece this morning on the observation deck.

This kind of explains why the top has never been properly rendered: It's not yet fully designed.
That would never fly here in Portland...a building starting construction before design review is ironed out. Nevertheless, like everyone else, I’m really excited for this project.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
ok, that makes more sense. i love everything about this potential new pinnacle for detroit's skyline, but the thus-far nebulously depicted crown has always been a bit bothersome.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
That would never fly here in Portland...a building starting construction before design review is ironed out. Nevertheless, like everyone else, I’m really excited for this project.
It's not under construction yet, though. The site prep alone in taking out the garage is going to take up a big early portion of this. It's exactly why they can dawdle on the exact specifications at the moment. In fact, don't expect to see heavy construction equipment on site until at least later in March. Currently, they are nailing down the last piece of financing from the Michigan Strategic Fund, which meets monthly. The rest of the Bedrock stuff is up for next month's meeting.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 12:14 PM

I was surprisingly able to get my Bedrock contact to reply to me about updates, yesterday, after he'd gone quiet since groundbreaking. He seems pretty annoyed. I don't get why they can't at least have a monthly update on the work going on on a project so historic and one that people are so excited about. Projects like this usually have webcams dedicated to them and everything.

Anyway, he informed me that Barton Malow is currently stablizing the tub walls of the existing garage - which is taking place below the roof of the garage which is why we can't really see anything - and that we should expect to see garage demolition starting in May.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 6:20 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
I was surprisingly able to get my Bedrock contact to reply to me about updates, yesterday, after he'd gone quiet since groundbreaking. He seems pretty annoyed. I don't get why they can't at least have a monthly update on the work going on on a project so historic and one that people are so excited about. Projects like this usually have webcams dedicated to them and everything.

Anyway, he informed me that Barton Malow is currently stablizing the tub walls of the existing garage - which is taking place below the roof of the garage which is why we can't really see anything - and that we should expect to see garage demolition starting in May.
Maybe he's just getting asked a lot by other people the same kind of questions. I agree though, all the more reason to have some sort of public interface set up with regular updates. If there's one developer in town that should be able to organize this, it's Bedrock. The official website doesn't have any update sections that I see.

That's a good point about the webcam, and I would hope for a project of this much magnitude that one is set up, once visible work begins.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 3:17 AM

I reached out in late January asking about a webcam and they said one was in the works and to keep checking in on their website, the only update on their website since then was a new promotional video.

We'll see though, I can understand why they wouldn't put a webcam up until they start demolition, if all the work right now is below grade and hidden it does seem kinda pointless...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 7:35 PM
The Believer

I drive by the site sometimes and I do see activity going on in the garage and on the sidewalk facing Woodward.

Anyway, since the design hasn't been finalized yet, maybe there is hope for a bump in height?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Brown View Post
I drive by the site sometimes and I do see activity going on in the garage and on the sidewalk facing Woodward.

Anyway, since the design hasn't been finalized yet, maybe there is hope for a bump in height?
Probably not...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 9:22 PM

What are the chances of a spire topping off the building to raise its height beyond 800. If such a thing were planned would it have been mentioned already when the observation deck was announced, or are spires, antennas and masts last minute additions to a building?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitRises View Post
What are the chances of a spire topping off the building to raise its height beyond 800. If such a thing were planned would it have been mentioned already when the observation deck was announced, or are spires, antennas and masts last minute additions to a building?
Those are usually apart of the design because of zoning and or FAA filings.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 6:08 PM

Looks like this will be a good thing for this town.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 7:52 AM

As I said earlier in the month, we shouldn't be seeing demolition work above-ground until next month, but someone over at DetroitYes.com was able to get a photo from a neighboring office building.

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...truction/page2

Interior demolition and wall stablization is busily taking place, and they are already using the Woodward sidewalk for equipment staging. The fail-jail site is also being used for construction staging for this and the Shinola Hotel construction across the street.

Anyway, this photo is facing north. The tower will take up a small section of the foreground, with the mid-rise building taking up the vast majority of the site.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 7:45 AM

Speak of the devil. Some above-ground demolition work started.

From 48307 over at DetroitYes, who has a bird's-eye view of the site:

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 12:18 AM
somewhere in-between

Very cool to be seeing this already.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Speak of the devil. Some above-ground demolition work started.

From 48307 over at DetroitYes, who has a bird's-eye view of the site:

Update from same guy today--

48307 - https://www.detroityes.com/mb/attach...6&d=1523660850

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 12:18 PM

Looks like We are going to get a new renderings next week from the general contractor!.

Quote:
Things are starting to heat up in the D (and, no, we're not talking about the weather). Keep your eyes peeled next week �� because we'll be dropping some exciting new footage from what will be tallest building in #Detroit, the Hudson's Site Development.

https://twitter.com/bartonmalow/stat...41399136833536

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction