HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 7:32 PM

Lower Westmount and western edge of downtown Montreal

These shots were taken last weekend in Westmount's lower section but some at mid-level up Mount Royal's southern slope. This neighborhood is obviously ritzy and as you go uphill, the air is more rarefied, so to speak... There are streets in the lower section with more pizzazz than in the wealthier more scenic slopy streets up the mountain though. I will post other shots later of Outremont which is the usually convenient french answer to the upper bourgeois anglo enclave of Westmount. It is cliché to think of either of them as Anglo-Franco fortresses though, since both contain crossfertilized. I am a sucker for the solid bourgeois samples of architecture you find in this part of Montreal. Westmount like Outremont, are bastions of financial power in Canada, but more to the point, their residential architecture is rich and varied. One can imagine how treacherous the snowy, icy streets must have been in the 19th century when they had to be cleared by hand and negotiated by horse and sleighs. These sleighs were substituted by buggies come springtime when the leafy streets warmed to a new buzz of activity.
Nice streets in lower Westmount near Sherbrooke street, the main commercial thoroughfare; Somerville, Prince Albert, and Winchester.

Other streets in the general vicinity with a mix of country urban charm typical of the victorian age in Montreal. York and Prince Albert streets;

Prospect and Clandeboye streets. You will find all manner of brick and stone veneer, from ochre sandstone to deep-burnished brownstone houses here. There is the stretch of Dorchester street which became René-Lévesque boulevard
east of here on Montreal municipal territory after the PQ leader's death.

Dorchester street has a long stretch of these houses for three or four long blocks; each different.
[IMG]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5264/5627692249_2c5e07583a.jpg[/url]

Clandeboye street:

Further uphill are streets with variying degrees of incline with houses ranging from victorian gingerbreads to Palatial Neo-classical. Cote-St-Antoine is an east west street that comprises many styles and sizes like its parallel cousin "The Boulevard" further up the mountain.

An old french style farmhouse leftover from the 19th century, probably protected now. It is for rent.

Across the street from it is another gem; a precursor to the other more manorlike houses that would be built later;

Roslyn and Sherbrooke streets looking south is where the streets become flatter, but only geographically speaking. Westmount Baptist Church now serves a spanish speaking congregation.

This is on the western esge of downtown Montreal on Lambert Closse street near the old Forum where the Canadiens used to play. There is new rezoning plan for higher density and for propping up the area in need of better care. Its streets are home to a lot of immigrants from the middle and far east as well as students, and there is a lot to be done in terms of beautifying and adding green spaces.

Haddon Hall apartment building;

The old Collège de Montréal dates back to 1767. The treaty of Paris had been signed and sealed the fate of the french presence in North America. This school was an affirmation of higher schooling under English rule. The land on which it sits is part of an older fort upon which the sulpician fathers had some property. There is an old tower for warehousing dating back to 1684;

I will post some more of Westmount and Outremont, but also of working class neighborhoods of Pointe St-Charles and Hochelaga later. Hope you liked this one.

Last edited by montréaliste; Apr 18, 2011 at 10:07 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 8:32 PM

Montrealiste - I am eager to see these pictures, but they don't appear

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
Montrealiste - I am eager to see these pictures, but they don't appear
Yes, thanks Expat, but I need to get to know how to post them. I am trying to add the img tags to the url's from flickr and it doesnt work. Can youse help me?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 8:52 PM

Are you using Quickr Pickr? That is what I use. www.quickpickr.com

Open Quickr Pickr
Enter your Flickr name
Select number (like 20, 50, 100, 200 - it is mulitple choice)
Enter tag (be sure all the photos have the tag before you start)
Then click on button to pull up photos.
It will show a thumbnail of the photos. Select all or select just the ones you want to use with a little check mark.
Select size - I use large
Click button to pull photos.
It will show you a all of the photos you selected in the correct size.
Right click on photo. This will cause a box to pop up with information about the photo.
Highlight & copy URL. Once highlighted, you can Control C to copy. (and Control V to paste)
Go to Skyscraperpage and enter this way:
[IMG]paste url here[/IMG]
Note that IMG is in all caps and is bracketed by the boxy brackets. And the last one has a backward slash before the IMG.

Repeat for each photo. I recommend to do a couple to be sure it is working right and then going back to do the rest. Just to save yourself aggravation!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 8:56 PM

Thanks buddy, I will try that instead. I've been fumbling for a while, thanks for coming to the rescue. Standby for something in a bit, I hope...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Thanks buddy, I will try that instead. I've been fumbling for a while, thanks for coming to the rescue. Standby for something in a bit, I hope...
I will be going out shortly. Will check on you when I get back.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 9:39 PM

Quote:
I will be going out shortly. Will check on you when I get back.
Thanks a million Expat! We will empty a couple of sixpacks together on me one of these days... Looking forward to your comments!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 10:11 PM

Excellent!

These are wonderful streets and glad you shared them with us. There is something striking about this to me personally. These homes remind me a great deal of St. Louis. Perhaps the French influence? Not exactly the same, but somehow related.

Beautiful! More when you can!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Excellent!

These are wonderful streets and glad you shared them with us. There is something striking about this to me personally. These homes remind me a great deal of St. Louis. Perhaps the French influence? Not exactly the same, but somehow related.

Yes, I get the same feeling from St Louis too. Definitely the mansarde roofline and other details. I will shoot some mansions on the top of the mountain and in Outremont soon and a bunch of other stuff. Thanks for the comments and the great help! Cheers!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Excellent!

I know what you mean Expat the second photo right side looks like Mckinley Heights or Fox Park and the 13th photo looks like O'Fallons neighborhood housing stock.
Great photos montréaliste and I'll be visiting Montreal for the first time this May can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 11:41 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

I never miss a Montreal photo thread. I definitely want to visit Montreal this summer.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 1:52 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Great tour!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 2:37 AM

Although Westmount has been and remains an anglo enclave, many of the older buildings have a Québécois style.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 1:15 PM

Very cool, Montreal residential areas are very remeniscent of Brookyln.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 11:50 PM

I've been in one of the buildings pictured above a few times... belongs to a very nice old guy who sold me a building in downtown Sherbrooke a few years ago (and kept a mortgage on it, so we're still linked). We're still in touch and I do visit him and his wife from time to time when I get a chance. They're on Clandeboye St., ~4th building or so from Dorchester, on the east side.

I wouldn't mind living there... 5 min walk to everything on Ste-Catherine and the area is really nice.

Thanks for the pics!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I've been in one of the buildings pictured above a few times... belongs to a very nice old guy who sold me a building in downtown Sherbrooke a few years ago (and kept a mortgage on it, so we're still linked). We're still in touch and I do visit him and his wife from time to time when I get a chance. They're on Clandeboye St., ~4th building or so from Dorchester, on the east side.

I wouldn't mind living there... 5 min walk to everything on Ste-Catherine and the area is really nice.

Thanks for the pics!
That's a coll story, I'M glad you worked something out with the kind gentleman.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwood View Post
I know what you mean Expat the second photo right side looks like Mckinley Heights or Fox Park and the 13th photo looks like O'Fallons neighborhood housing stock.
Great photos montréaliste and I'll be visiting Montreal for the first time this May can't wait!!!!!!!!!
Send me a message and I can maybe show you around for a bit. I'm starting on another project in early may, but the weekends are looser.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 1:35 AM
Give us a kiss

i posted a similar tour something like 5 years ago (long gone from the forum i would assume). this is an area we do not get to see enough of on spp, so thanks for the tour! some very unique architecture in tht area, by montreal standards.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 1:47 AM
Red brick mama.

Love every shot.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos