HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
<images of double-decker articulated buses>
Interesting, thanks for posting the photos! I'd love to see how the upper deck joint operates when the bus is taking ramps and curves.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plafuldog View Post
In Victoria, at least, the blocks are too short to handle articulated buses, especially downtown. I believe BC Transit was partially responsible for this model being designed/brought to North America
Not just that, but there a very many tight turns in and around Victoria. Victoria has no road grid, and pretty much not a single straight road. Many of the routes that use the double deckers have turns (and not just at intersections, but the streets themselves have sharp turns) that an articulated bus can't handle, but the route requires the capacity.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
And it's not obvious to me how the centre of gravity issue would be any worse for an articulated double decker than it would be for a conventional one.
Double-decker buses are used in educational materials
eg http://www.tutorvista.com/content/ph...-stability.php

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
Double-decker buses are used in educational materials
eg http://www.tutorvista.com/content/ph...-stability.php
Sure, but why would an articulated unit be of extra concern?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
Not just that, but there a very many tight turns in and around Victoria. Victoria has no road grid, and pretty much not a single straight road. Many of the routes that use the double deckers have turns (and not just at intersections, but the streets themselves have sharp turns) that an articulated bus can't handle, but the route requires the capacity.
Its a common misconception but articulated buses actually have a better turning radius than a standard 40' busses.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 7:23 PM

Well I got to finally experience the FVX virtually by my lonesome this morning from Chilliwack to Langley.

Few comments:

Surprisingly little or no usage. Boarded in Chilliwack and there was one other person on the bus. No one else and that other user got off in Abbotsford.

Bus is quiet overall, brand new bus, so expected. Comfortable ride, but hope they do shift to highway coaches in the future. Ran on time, and looks like they did build LOTS of headway into the schedule so the depatures at either end leave usually on time.

Will be a nice option for me in the future, think setting it up as a standalone service and having no fare integration is a bit of an issue, although transit ridership in Chilliwack and Abbotsford aren't as high as what you'd even see in Langley.

Hope as we more forward it will become used more and more. Know the #555 did start off slowly and has just taken off since then, and know it takes time.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 8:32 PM

With only two riders on a Monday morning, I wonder if this service is being advertised enough to the potential riders.

Also, I hope it has Wi-Fi, because that's the sort of thing that long-distance commuters crave, and may even be the deal-breaker for Gen Y fence-sitters who would otherwise drive to their destination.

I wish the service well. Now it's down to Translink and the users to get the word out.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
With only two riders on a Monday morning, I wonder if this service is being advertised enough to the potential riders.

Also, I hope it has Wi-Fi, because that's the sort of thing that long-distance commuters crave, and may even be the deal-breaker for Gen Y fence-sitters who would otherwise drive to their destination.

I wish the service well. Now it's down to Translink and the users to get the word out.
I boarded in Chilliwack around 6:30 AM and then got to Langley (Carvolth) around 7:20 AM. That's virtually the AM peak into Vancouver if you're trying to head downtown.

Live in Walnut Grove but have family in Chilliwack. I may take it a few times a month.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 5:52 AM
Rational urbanist

Decided to take it for a ride myself today. First off, Carvolth Exchange is MASSIVE. I've never seen anything like it. I guess it's at a busy crossroads and in the middle of future development, so it's good they're planning for the future.

I traveled at strange times, so passenger counts should obviously be taken with a grain of salt. I boarded it outbound in Langley at 12:58 and there were 6 people on the bus including myself. One person got off at McCallum, at Lickman and at Vedder, with us remaining 3 staying on all the way until downtown Chilliwack. The entire ride takes just barely over an hour.

The bus was pretty empty, but the park and rides were doing alright. It's hard to tell in my crappy photos, but I would guess both McCallum and Lickman were at about 40% full each. I assume this is where a majority of the ridership comes from so hopefully this improves.

McCallum:

McCallum Park and Ride–66 Fraser Valley Express by Glass_City, on Flickr

Lickman:

Lickman Park and Ride–66 Fraser Valley Express by Glass_City, on Flickr

On the way back, I boarded at 3:45 and was the only one to do so. The same driver that took me there took me back, which was embarassing because with such a short turnaround he now knows I take $10 bus trips to Chilliwack for fun. Anyway, a girl got on at Vedder and we were the only ones to get on. Well, except for another girl that got on and went the wrong direction...ouch. She wasn't intending to take that bus so I won't include her in my passenger counts.

Here's some photos of the bus that I got in trouble for taking:

66 Fraser Valley Express Back by Glass_City, on Flickr

66 Fraser Valley Express–Front by Glass_City, on Flickr

I still think the route should go through Abbotsford and not along the highway, as it would encourage more walking to the stops rather than driving. The bus takes only city streets in Chilliwack and it really doesn't slow down all that much. Overall though, signage was updated everywhere and it was good to see this recognised as an important regional connection. Hopefully ridership is better in the peak hour, and can pick up overall, so that this level of service can be maintained, as it really is a game changer for Lower Mainland transit.

One question though: does anybody know if there is a future for ramps connecting 202 Street to Highway 1 eastbound? That area adds a lot of unnecessary time to the trip.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 6:05 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Does anyone know the length of the route in km?

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 6:19 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Does anyone know the length of the route in km?
66 kilometres, not including all the turns it has to make at Carvolth Exchange, Highstreet and McCallum.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Here's some photos of the bus that I got in trouble for taking...
Why would you get in trouble for taking photos of a bus? I do that quite a lot and have never had any issues.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 4:21 PM

Maybe the driver didn't appreciate his picture being taken?

Thanks for the photos though.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 5:11 PM

Quote:
66 kilometres, not including all the turns it has to make at Carvolth Exchange, Highstreet and McCallum.
So it's the #66 and its route is 66km long? Synergy!

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 8:17 PM
Rational urbanist

The driver said he didn't care, but that technically I wasn't allowed to and if transit police saw me they might force me to delete the photos.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
One question though: does anybody know if there is a future for ramps connecting 202 Street to Highway 1 eastbound? That area adds a lot of unnecessary time to the trip.
I really hope it's done sooner than later. Absolutely makes no sense that it was roughed in and just left. I did see a consultant company vehicle parked in the area so hopefully the Province is fast-tracking something there. We'll have to see, but yes, it probably adds 3-5 minutes to the trip time when going around to 200 Street to get onto Highway 1 to the east.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 12:43 AM

Quote:
The driver said he didn't care, but that technically I wasn't allowed to and if transit police saw me they might force me to delete the photos.
He's wrong.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 1:00 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
He's wrong.
Maybe it's different for BC Transit? But thanks for the link, I'll save it on my phone and keep it on hand in case I ever need to convince an officer!

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardak View Post
Its a common misconception but articulated buses actually have a better turning radius than a standard 40' busses.
Very true and which is why most bus drivers prefer driving them in the city than the regular size buses.

GO buses in Toronto are almost exclusively double decker and serve the area well. The reason they did not go articulated is that just as artics are better for turning in city enviornments they are not as good on highways.

The thing that makes the artics more attractive in the city is what makes them less attractive on the open road at higher speeds............they tend to sway when travelling faster which of course can be very dangerous. This becomes far more problematic when the roads become icy and the Valley definitely gets more frost days per year than does Vancouver City and areas along the coast.

This is why you never see long distance buses {ie Greyhound} ever use articulated highway buses even if the demand is there.

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 7:21 PM
Rational urbanist

Express bus through Fraser Valley proving to be a popular option

Quote:
ABBOTSFORD (NEWS1130) – People in the Fraser Valley are embracing a new transit option.

The express bus linking Abbotsford, Chilliwack and Langley is proving to be surprisingly popular.

It just started in April, but the Fraser Valley Express is averaging roughly 200 rides per weekday over the first month of service and the number is trending upwards.
Read more: http://www.news1130.com/2015/05/17/e...opular-option/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure