HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Man, Bayshore is getting hit hard! Place Bon Bon (by Winners) closed last month and Timothy's World Coffee will close tomorrow. I got a small coffee to cheer the girl up but you could tell she was pretty sad. Life goes on I guess...

The former Mexx space is now an Ecko Unltd store, well that stuff wasn't popular 15 years ago so I don't expect it to catch fire now.
Maybe the expansion wasn't well suited?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Tough to say. I believe Ivanhoe Cambridge (Bayshore Mall owner) invested more than $200 million (if memories served me well) into the renos with the expectation Target will be an anchor tenant for years to come, and possibly to fight off Tanger Outlet and smaller plazas in the surrounding areas (Kanata/Stittsville/Barrhaven)

Obviously the Target debacle wasn't what many, if not majority, of us expected. Time will tell if their plan is going to pan out.

As far as Place Bon Bon and Timothy's are concerned, I believe their current location don't particularly suit them well with most shoppers gravitating towards the food court and the new expansion with more well-known and more trendy brands. This Winners is one of the weaker one in town, IMO, not particularly well-designed and not a lot of selection as the HomeSense right below is the focal point of this part of the mall.

I guess we will see what new stores are moving in here. I expect it could be a while.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 2:07 AM
Awesome!

Tim Hortons definitely eating some of the other coffee shops
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Man, Bayshore is getting hit hard! Place Bon Bon (by Winners) closed last month and Timothy's World Coffee will close tomorrow. I got a small coffee to cheer the girl up but you could tell she was pretty sad. Life goes on I guess...

The former Mexx space is now an Ecko Unltd store, well that stuff wasn't popular 15 years ago so I don't expect it to catch fire now.
I noticed Place Bon Bon was closed last week...I'm actually impressed how long they lasted! I also noticed the 'Ekco Ultd' store in the old Mexx...I hope that isn't a permanent store. It's incredibly tacky and it looks like a liquidation centre.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Certainly Target didn't help. And because of the badly designed new parking, I don't shop there anymore.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
Certainly Target didn't help. And because of the badly designed new parking, I don't shop there anymore.
I kid you not, I witnessed people jostling for a parking spot on the ground floor near the entrance for a good 5 minutes 2 days ago. Everyone eventually got their spots but I thought to myself what the f*** am I doing here

Tight(er) spaces, big(ger) cars a la SUVs, columns in the middle, small signs, impatient and often confused drivers = welcome to Bayshore Parking Hell.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 2:08 PM

I've been to Bayshore twice in the last week and I found the parking really easy to navigate. No issues with the signs, they were everywhere and very clear. The level design is great. I love that you can scoot down all the way from the top to the bottom or vice versa on one straight ramp. I also love the two levels with no direct access to the mall because, if you're in the know, you don't have to fight for spots on those levels. I'm sure people will eventually figure this out, however. I think the new garage is a HUGE improvement...people just have to get used to it.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 1:28 AM

WalMart is picking up Target space.

Yes it will serve nearby residents well with respect to grocery and it sure beats having empty spaces for the mall but I have to be honest, I can't say I am terribly excited.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 3:51 PM

Quote:
WalMart is picking up Target space.

Yes it will serve nearby residents well with respect to grocery and it sure beats having empty spaces for the mall but I have to be honest, I can't say I am terribly excited.
I think they were forced to accept the offer since they knew otherwise that would be dead space indefinitely...

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 4:32 PM

This goes against Bayshore's goal of going up-market to distinguish itself from other malls (St-Laurent, Promenades) and better compete with high class Rideau. Zellers to Target was a step-up, but falling back on Wal-Mart... one step forward, two steps back.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 6:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This goes against Bayshore's goal of going up-market to distinguish itself from other malls (St-Laurent, Promenades) and better compete with high class Rideau. Zellers to Target was a step-up, but falling back on Wal-Mart... one step forward, two steps back.
I completely agree... but I know several people in that neighbourhood who will be thrilled if the new Walmart features a grocery section. Right now, the closest large grocery stores are at Lincoln Fields and in Bell's Corners.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

They likely had little choice though and also realized that they had little chance of going any further. Rideau makes about 50-75% more per square foot I believe.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 8:46 PM

Square One has a Walmart and it's still pretty upscale.

Last night I was at the Vans store on Yonge Street and they said they're opening a store at Bayshore in June.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 12:34 AM

It will be interesting to see the logistics of this as this WalMart will be on the 3rd floor, rather than the ground floor like other WalMart across the city.

I suppose mall management doesn't want shoppers pushing WalMart shopping carts all over the mall so they may employ the same strategy like Zellers whereas you can only bring shopping carts in and out of the stores through the parking lot entrance, rather than the mall entrance.

Zellers was different in the sense that they occupied both the ground floor and the second floor so it was probably easi(er) for pick-up and delivery too. I'll be very interested to see how they manage the logistics, including parking arrangements for this part of the mall.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Square One has a Walmart and it's still pretty upscale.
I wouldn't call Square One upscale. It's so massive it has a little bit of everything, but it isn't a luxury mall like Yorkdale at all.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 3:58 PM

Walmart won't work bad with the other stores since it will drive a lot of foot traffic. I wouldn't maybe want Walmart with mid-market stores as it might eat their lunch, but against high end stuff they will sell to different markers and increase the overall number of mall users.

Additionally true high end tends to do poorly in Ottawa. Ottawa requires more of pseudo high end. Hence why people went ga-ga over the outlet mall. High end-ish things, without the high end price.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 4:38 PM

The Walmart in Square One doesn't seem too out of place, it works well there. I'm sure the other tenants in Bayshore won't mind a Walmart there, it should increase traffic throughout the mall.

Place d'Orleans used to be packed when Walmart was there, it still hasn't recovered from Walmart leaving IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Walmart won't work bad with the other stores since it will drive a lot of foot traffic. I wouldn't maybe want Walmart with mid-market stores as it might eat their lunch, but against high end stuff they will sell to different markers and increase the overall number of mall users.

Additionally true high end tends to do poorly in Ottawa. Ottawa requires more of pseudo high end. Hence why people went ga-ga over the outlet mall. High end-ish things, without the high end price.
I agree. Ottawa is a rich city, but that wealth is spread out thanks to high paying government jobs. The upper class, the people who usually shop at high end stores, are smaller in number here than other Canadian cities.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 11:23 PM

Not sure when they closed but Femme de Carriere (women's clothing?) space on the 3rd floor is empty.

Across the hall, the Bay has put up signs for some vacant spaces, I suppose either expansion or for the outlet? Either way, it will be good to see some activities here.

I hope the Moxie's is/will be doing fine because it's the only food outlet in that little corner now (not counting the Starbucks kiosk)).

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I wouldn't call Square One upscale. It's so massive it has a little bit of everything, but it isn't a luxury mall like Yorkdale at all.
They've done a lot of renovations lately and Oxford has said they're trying to bring Square One up to the level of Yorkdale (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle19186358/. With Simons and Holt Renfrew coming the gap between those two malls is closing.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 11:06 PM

I was at Bayshore at lunch and saw workers putting the finishing touches in the same store previously occupied by Timothy's World Coffee, near Winners.

I believe the new store is called Chimney - Street Food Sensation from Hungary, or something along that line (I didn't get a good look at the sign as it wasn't particularly visible). I hope they do well, the location is less than ideal in terms of visibility but the mall traffic should help keep them afloat...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs