HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 7:19 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Design is well on its way.Should be on the barge next season.
On the barge? You mean like, they would build it in the south and just float it up to the North? and it could happen by next year?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
On the barge? You mean like, they would build it in the south and just float it up to the North? and it could happen by next year?
Product gets shipped out of QC and Montreal in Jun July and if weather is good August.
I usually spend a tough 2 months in April and May reviewing shop drawings so that the products get to Quebec in time for shipping season.
I actually have a shipping schedule by my desk so I will know when the contractors are about to inundate me with shops.

Shipping by NTI and NEAS .
To give you an Idea of time lines. Say you have an Air Handling unit that has a 12 - 16 weeks lead time. You have to review the shops in April to make the July sailing.
Tender is usually in Feb or March.
With NEAS shipping is at Valleyfield so for Iqaluit the last sailing leaves Aug 17th to arrive in Iqaluit about the 29th then the ship heads north and then finishes up at Baker Lake Sept 14th.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 6:15 PM
Rational urbanist

What happened to this design?

Piqutivut-Building Our Capital
https://www.facebook.com/PiqutivutBuildingOurCapital

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 3:01 PM
ARTchitecture

I was wondering that as well...

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 4:51 PM

I will see what design is actually being used. The one I posted was from the local paper. Weird as it is there was a set of (preliminary) drawings in the office but I didn’t get a chance to see them.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I believe that is the New INAC Building. And I think it is called the Gallery Building after the old Gallery Lounge that once stood there.

http://www.pws.gov.nt.ca/projects/Ne...fficeBuilding/
Actually this building under construction is the new 7 storey Government of the Northwest Territories office building on 49th Street like your link says. INAC's Gallery Building you speak of is an ugly 4 storey box on Franklin Ave. across from the feds' Greenstone Building completed last year. The GNWT is building the new tower in anticipation of jobs that supposedly will come north following the devolution deal with the federal government earlier this year.

Interestingly, when the feds moved into the new Gallery bldg, they left their former home - the 10 storey Bellanca building - completely empty, and it still is unfortunately.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 9:09 PM

Ill try to get an update on Yellowknnife later this year. But I am now scheduled for Iqaluit at the end of Sept. so will update construction then. Thanks for the correction at YK.

NWT correction facility is concerned about a housing development be planned for the area beside it. You know the people that move in will start complaining about having a prison near by.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 4:19 PM

Just a quick update on the Iqaluit airport in Nunavut.Although coming from a Winnipeg buisness point of view, the article is directly linked to the development and operational side of the upcoming expansion/overhall of the Iqaluit airport and shows the huge growth and potential of Manitoba's growing neighbor to the North, Iqaluit.

Airports authority looks north
Will manage new facility in Iqaluit
By: Martin Cash
Quote:
The Winnipeg Airports Authority is about to embark on the largest project outside its Winnipeg airport campus -- management of a brand new airport in Iqaluit.

The WAA is part of a consortium that won the $300-million development project -- beating out other groups that included representation from the Edmonton and Halifax airports.

The plan calls for the group, of which the WAA is a junior partner, to design, build, finance and operate the new airport in Iqaluit, the capital of Nunavut.

John Hawkins, the director of the airport, which is owned by the territorial government, said no real upgrade has happened since the mid-'90s. Since then, the population of the town has almost doubled, it's become the capital of Nunavut and passenger traffic at the airport has almost tripled.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...221756531.html

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 4:14 PM

Iqaluit Aquatic centre is going through a redesign to meet the current budget.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 5:10 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh dang, well that is too bad. Iqaluit needs some damn colour, and interesting buildings.

What is going on with the new Legislature? I thought they were going to be building like a "capitol district" to te Northwest of the city, or something.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Oh dang, well that is too bad. Iqaluit needs some damn colour, and interesting buildings.

What is going on with the new Legislature? I thought they were going to be building like a "capitol district" to te Northwest of the city, or something.
No word on a new Ledge.

Next in the flow is a new town hall followed by a new emergency services facility.

The airport is in design phase and the Prison expansion under construction now.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 2:54 PM

CBC North has a link to a video of the new Iqaluit Airport. I would link but can't from my office computer.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 11:29 PM
Rational urbanist

Wow, looks great! With all these colourful buildings Iqaluit's putting up it will make for a very unique city scape.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 7:14 PM
So very tired...

Hey Airboy....

I was in Hay River last week and there is a rather large (school sized) building going up on the north side of the highway as you come into town. Steel frame is fully erected. Is this the hospital you were talking about earlier?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Hey Airboy....

I was in Hay River last week and there is a rather large (school sized) building going up on the north side of the highway as you come into town. Steel frame is fully erected. Is this the hospital you were talking about earlier?
It appears to be the new hospital. my firm did not get it so don't know much more but HR was to get a new hospital.

Nice to see you back on line. Miss your photos over on Flickr.

Sometime before Dec I am heading up to Iqaluit and should have time for a walking tour.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 9:03 PM
So very tired...

Was just up in Whitehorse too. Got lots of pics of the drive up. Sadly can't edit them until I get my computer sorted out.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Was just up in Whitehorse too. Got lots of pics of the drive up. Sadly can't edit them until I get my computer sorted out.
About the only part of that drive I haven't done is Fort Nelson to Watson Lake. I have been up the Liard highway though.
Love the Whitehorse area. Hopefully the Vacation Travelers were less for your haul.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 9:12 PM

Head east out of Edmonton right now and catch the Snow Geese heading south.

Drove to Lloyd this morning and saw flocks everywhere.
Heading to Jasper in the morning and will have the camera beside me.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
What happened to this design?

Piqutivut-Building Our Capital
https://www.facebook.com/PiqutivutBuildingOurCapital
Saw a drawing today. It appears this is now red.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 9:28 PM
So very tired...

Fort Nelson to Watson Lake is the best part!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada