HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 4:51 AM

^Loving the new diagram, it really captures the detail of the building.

I have a question about 3 WTC which I decided to bring up after viewing the animation for the memorial. In that video they show a 6-spired 3 WTC, does anyone know if that still a part of the latest design? I know they haven't released the final plans for the redesign but I was wondering if anyone here had any info on it? From the video it looks like it'd be EPIC.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 6:59 AM
DENNAB

I'm kind of confused, the diagrams that NYguy posted on the previous page show a core going to the very top (about 1150 feet I presume)

Yet STR was saying that the top is airy and hollow above the 1100 whatever mark.

someone has to be wrong

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 7:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I'm kind of confused, the diagrams that NYguy posted on the previous page show a core going to the very top (about 1150 feet I presume)

Yet STR was saying that the top is airy and hollow above the 1100 whatever mark.
someone has to be wrong
I think you're just confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
There is a small extension of the core, mostly housing the maintenance elevators and associated equipment, that goes up to about 1,145.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 7:06 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.dnainfo.com/20101220/down...versteins-gain

New York State’s Loss is Larry Silverstein’s Gain

December 20, 2010
By Julie Shapiro

Quote:
New York State’s loss is developer Larry Silverstein’s gain.

Silverstein is poised to receive up to $285 million in tax-exempt federal stimulus bonds for Tower 3 at the World Trade Center, after local governments around the state failed to spend the bonds by the year-end deadline.

Gov. David Paterson signed an executive order on Friday transferring about $285 million of the unspent bonds from city and county governments back to New York State, to prevent them from expiring and going to waste.

All the unspent bonds will go toward Silverstein’s Tower 3, a 71-story skyscraper that will cost over $2 billion and is scheduled to open in 2015, the Empire State Development Corp. said.

"During this time of economic uncertainty, it is vital that we take advantage of the Recovery Zone Facility Bond program to help create jobs, foster economic development and develop critical infrastructure," Paterson said in a statement.

The state received a total of $555 million in Recovery Zone Facility Bonds and divvied them up among dozens of cities and counties for private development projects.

But over half of the bonds were never used, as some local governments said they could not find any projects to do and others scrambled to issue them before they expired.

New York City used just $65.5 million of the $121 million it received in stimulus bonds, and it appears that the rest will go back to the state for Tower 3. Projects the city has financed with the bonds include developments in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx.

A spokesman for Silverstein Properties declined to comment.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Can’t get enough of this building; it’s undoubtedly my favorite of the complex.
i've been saying that all along

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 10:50 AM

It is distinctly Richard Rogers with the visible trussing - it's hard to believe that after the Lloyds building in London (which was effectively an inside out building like the Pompidou in Paris with utilities outside to provide more useable space inside) the controversy meant that he didn't get any work for 18 months. This building should be called the Phoenix. A phoenix of an architect on a phoenix of a site.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 2:51 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Every bit helps.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 3:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:

December 20, 2010
By Julie Shapiro
Given the 2015 opening date, is this tower -- unlike Tower 2 -- being built to full size even without tenant commitments?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 7:39 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
I think you're just confused.
great observation

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 7:40 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Love Tower 3. Tower 4 needs some work though - it's completely vacuous.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Given the 2015 opening date, is this tower -- unlike Tower 2 -- being built to full size even without tenant commitments?
Why wouldn't it be?

Great news on the bonds! Although I'm still holding my breath until we see above ground construction.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 9:11 PM

Good. Give the money to Silverstein. Government agencies like the PA generally fail at getting things done cheaply and on time. Private development is the way to go.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 5:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Silverstein still has a minimum 400,000 sq ft of lease commitments before he can get more assistance to continue the tower beyond the first 5 levels above ground.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 3:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Won't be long for a crane here as well...

http://lowermanhattan.info/construct...wer_91861.aspx

Quote:
A tower crane will be erected at the site in early 2011

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
Damn, this seriously needs to get built like NOW! It is the best of the four WTC towers.
I agree. I'm not a big fan of the Sears Tower like WTC 3. It looks like something out of Chicago. They should save the money, scrap wtc 3 to a small building and put all their money into wtc 2 being built asap. It's a beautiful building and should go up the way it's been put on paper. Plus not building 1 and 2 wtc to full scale..................mean the idiots from 9/11 win, imo.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 1:34 PM

I agree 100% on all that... the skyline actually looks better without wtc3 imo

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
I agree 100% on all that... the skyline actually looks better without wtc3 imo
why that's blasphemy IMO that's my favorite one!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 4:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
why that's blasphemy IMO that's my favorite one!
No, I agree too. Number 3 is the ugly duckling for sure; it's taken a very long time for it to grow on me to level of 'meh'. I think the king crown look on the top is very tacky - it reminds me of that building in Pittsburgh. It just doesn't look like NYC to me at all. I really wish it would be redesigned, but that's not happening. Whenever I show these renders to people that have no interest in architecture or knowledge of WTC construction, they almost always have an unsolicited negative comment about WTC3...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
No, I agree too. Number 3 is the ugly duckling for sure; it's taken a very long time for it to grow on me to level of 'meh'. I think the king crown look on the top is very tacky - it reminds me of that building in Pittsburgh. It just doesn't look like NYC to me at all. I really wish it would be redesigned, but that's not happening. Whenever I show these renders to people that have no interest in architecture or knowledge of WTC construction, they almost always have an unsolicited negative comment about WTC3...
Your sentence exactly resume my thought.
It doesn't look like NYC architecture... and I wish it will not become a bad usage (New York Times skyscraper was already similar !)

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 5:40 PM
Metal Up Your !

Guys, I think it will come out to look much better at the end. Personally, I like the design of this building. I'm not in love with it, but I like the way it contrasts the rest of the WTC a bit. I can't imagine anything better being built if this wasn't to go through, which is 0% unlikely anyways

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive