HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 4:59 PM
MANNING IS HERE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVER 2012 View Post
Good post! Ball control is key to a good defense as the NY giants of 92 knew this and other well known defenses that I can recall. I am thrilled the broncos will return to an offense oriented team with the spread. Orton cannot do it alone as we know and knownshon will certainly have a big impact right away. Many folks just dont seem to understand that a RB can have a high impact with a team whereas a DE pick would have very little impact. RB's run the ball, catch, block for the QB etc. A DE would if real good stop the run on one side and add some pass rush -this isn't much of a game changer for our beloved broncos.

And lest not forget Anrda Davis at LB! This man had 207 tackles two years ago and 143 tackles last year. He is a tackling animal! Our LB core is better than many realize!

And for all you Jay cutler fans get over it! The guy really wasnt that great of a QB. His leadership skills were poor and his QB rating never surpassed 86. The guy is an ok QB with character flaws. And with a 25TD to 18 INT ratio last year he's highly overated. We now got great picks like Smith, Knwonshown, Bruton, and Mcbath, Ayers who are good guys and team players. Football is a team sport! Jay Cutler is a one man show and IMO not that great of a one.

Go Broncos!!!

"return" to an offense oriented team??? what broncos have you been watching for the past 20 years? huh??

Cityscapes, skylines, landscapes and more at http://www.gjmphotography.com/

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoCSU05 View Post
"return" to an offense oriented team??? what broncos have you been watching for the past 20 years? huh??
A bronco team that struggled with a running back despite a great line and was terrible at ball control. You think poor ball control is a sign of a good offense? Really???

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 6:22 PM
no its not...

Cutler may have been a baby off the field, but on the field he was a great leader, who tolerated no nonsense, and has one of the greatest arms in football. Many of his interceptions were muffs and deflections off the receiver's hands. We will miss his skills. Denver had the second best offense in the league last year....

The New England brand of offense is boring football and only works if you have the right people, starting with a quarterback....like the tall big kid they took in the 6th round. It will take time to change over and develop...just like it did in New England. Meanwhile with two seasons of 5 or 6 wins, the fans will be calling for McDaniels head.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 6:27 PM
MANNING IS HERE!!!

Quote:
A bronco team that struggled with a running back despite a great line and was terrible at ball control. You think poor ball control is a sign of a good offense? Really???
you really think they've been a "defensive team" since the orange crush...really?? puh-leese. even during the super bowl years the d was only adequate and benefited from the offense putting up 21 points in the first quarter. it's ALWAYS been the offense that's made or breaked the broncos for the past 20 years. if the offense sucks, they lose. if they do well, they'll probably win (and in the case of last year's defense, they might still lose). you tell me when the defense has been the "determining factor" in this football team. really. the only notable game i can think of was when denver squeaked out that win vs KC in the playoffs in 1998 (97 season). it's ALWAYS been about the offense...as has been the case when Elway started to come into his own and since with Shannahan as the offensive "mastermind"

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 6:34 PM
MANNING IS HERE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of The Park View Post
Cutler may have been a baby off the field, but on the field he was a great leader, who tolerated no nonsense, and has one of the greatest arms in football. Many of his interceptions were muffs and deflections off the receiver's hands. We will miss his skills. Denver had the second best offense in the league last year....

The New England brand of offense is boring football and only works if you have the right people, starting with a quarterback....like the tall big kid they took in the 6th round. It will take time to change over and develop...just like it did in New England. Meanwhile with two seasons of 5 or 6 wins, the fans will be calling for McDaniels head.
we might miss his skills...but this organization isn't about any ONE or even a handful of people. after what transpired, i'm glad to see cutler gone. i haven't a clue wtf we'll replace him with, but i think he entered his moment where he truly showed the ceiling of his potential (much the same way plummer did, and why we replaced him with cutler).

mcdaniels doesn't realize that he's not above everyone else either. yes, he's coaching this team...but he owes more than me might ever realize to bronco country. half is calling for his head right now and i won't be surprised to see the other half join suit halfway through the season. he has more pressure on him than anybody in the NFL right now, imo

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 6:50 PM

Jay cutler a team leader? how is that? he is a crybaby and we dont need that in denver. Cutler was obviously only thinking of himself and not the team during the trade rumors. Never been much of an Elway fan but the guy was tough and didnt cry. I challenge you folks who really think cutler was that great of a QB or even a franchise player. He is immature and has always struggled with a good TD to INT ratio which is why his career QB rating is 87. Even Phillip rivers of SD has a better career rating at 92, Drew bees 89. You cant make excuses especially since last year our line was pretty good.

Some folks just dont seem to get that putting up offensive yard numbers doesnt equal a good offfense. You can sccore fast and then allow the other team to do the same since your defense hasnt the time to rest. This happened in the SD game last year. Denver's offense was poorly constured since it wore out its defense and allowed the other team time to get back in the game.

Last edited by DENVER 2012; Apr 29, 2009 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 6:57 PM

Quote:
you really think they've been a "defensive team" since the orange crush...really?? puh-leese. even during the super bowl years the d was only adequate and benefited from the offense putting up 21 points in the first quarter. it's ALWAYS been the offense that's made or breaked the broncos for the past 20 years. if the offense sucks, they lose. if they do well, they'll probably win (and in the case of last year's defense, they might still lose). you tell me when the defense has been the "determining factor" in this football team. really. the only notable game i can think of was when denver squeaked out that win vs KC in the playoffs in 1998 (97 season). it's ALWAYS been about the offense...as has been the case when Elway started to come into his own and since with Shannahan as the offensive "mastermind"
Huh? When did I say this?

The broncos offense last year was subpar largely due to it affecting the time the defense was on the field. The broncos ranked 24th in ball control last year. You need to control the ball to have a real good offense. Shannahans mastermind offense gameplan is obviously tired. good thing bowlen went out and hired the new offensive mastermind in the NFL.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 7:02 PM
no its not...

I agree on your point about McDaniels....

Quote:
we might miss his skills...but this organization isn't about any ONE or even a handful of people. after what transpired, i'm glad to see cutler gone. i haven't a clue wtf we'll replace him with, but i think he entered his moment where he truly showed the ceiling of his potential (much the same way plummer did, and why we replaced him with cutler).

mcdaniels doesn't realize that he's not above everyone else either. yes, he's coaching this team...but he owes more than me might ever realize to bronco country. half is calling for his head right now and i won't be surprised to see the other half join suit halfway through the season. he has more pressure on him than anybody in the NFL right now, imo

The best team for the concept of, no one player is better or more important than the team, is Pittsburgh. They don't hound it...they just live it. Cutler was never McDaniels type of guy or QB. McDaniels should have been more honest from the start. He never wanted a "gunslinger". He wants a very very controlled offense.

Its going to be fun to watch the competition at safety (which was a real need) and see who sticks at running back and who gets traded. Paying the big bucks, the rookie had better start. Some of the free agents and trades must be wondering WTF. I am very amazed they didn't address the defensive line shortcomings....and that may doom this team, because a cohesive 3-4 unit there takes time to develop ... and we needed some young players to do it with.

McDaniels will be tested early and often...just like the new players.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 7:12 PM
no its not...

One more time...

Quote:
Jay cutler a team leader? how is that? he is a crybaby and we dont need that in denver. Cutler was obviously only thinking of himself and not the team during the trade rumors. Never been much of an Elway fan but the guy was tough and didnt cry. I challenge you folks who really think cutler was that great of a QB or even a franchise player. He is immature and has always struggled with a good TD to INT ratio which is why his career QB rating is 87. Even Phillip rivers of SD has a better career rating at 92, Drew bees 89. You cant make excuses especially since last year our line was pretty good.

Some folks just dont seem to get that putting up offensive yard numbers doesnt equal a good offfense. You can sccore fast and then allow the other team to do the same since your defense hasnt the time to rest. This happened in the SD game last year. Denver's offense was poorly constured since it wore out its defense and allowed the other team time to get back in the game.

Denver had the second best offense in the league this last year. Simple. BTW...watch Cutler in Chicago and how he transforms that team and then bitch about him. Meanwhile Denver will be lucky to win 6. Then next year, when we could have gotten another good QB, with the first round choice we traded away, tell me how smart it was to give it away...especially if the player doesn't make the team.

I have watched this team since Steve Tensi won the exhibition game against Detroit at the old D.U. Field....don't presume to lecture me about what good offense is. Two of my son's played division one football. I know a little bit about it.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Denver had the second best offense in the league this last year. Simple. BTW...watch Cutler in Chicago and how he transforms that team and then bitch about him. Meanwhile Denver will be lucky to win 6. Then next year, when we could have gotten another good QB, with the first round choice we traded away, tell me how smart it was to give it away...especially if the player doesn't make the team.

I have watched this team since Steve Tensi won the exhibition game against Detroit at the old D.U. Field....don't presume to lecture me about what good offense is. Two of my son's played division one football. I know a little bit about it.
You havent a clue what a good offense is if you think it includes being 24th in ball control. And I cant see how being a long time football fan is suppose to strengthen your argument - that is just silly.

The broncos were 8-8 last year. Go ahead and be a arm chair QB and call it as you see it with your simplistic anaysis. But if a teams offense does not control the clock they arent going to win many games. Putting up offensive yards doesn't equal a good offensive scheme alone. It also matters how you score those yards. Denver's scoring in the red zone last year was also quite poor I might add.

I'll bet you 20 bucks right now Denver will win more then six.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 7:27 PM
MANNING IS HERE!!!

Quote:
Huh? When did I say this?
Quote:
I am thrilled the broncos will return to an offense oriented team with the spread.

surely you understand levels of implication. clearly you're not insane enough to suggest that the broncos were a "special teams oriented" team (i think). it's not like we have devin hester as a return man and can successfully pin opposing teams' offense inside the 5 yd line every time we punt and have a 100% touchback percentage....

by that implication, either we're a defensive team or maybe that we aren't really a team at all? is that what you're getting at?

this isn't about how good or bad denver vs opponent's time of possession is. it's about the notion that somehow denver has somehow not been an offensive team the past 2 decades. the team has lived and died by their offense...the offense is the main contributing factor to their success, not the D or special teams. to say that somehow we're "returning" to an offensive team is a joke. what we're doing is sticking to our guns and trying to hopefully improve it, which, btw, i think mcdaniels is an absolute retard in his methodology for accomplishing such.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 7:30 PM
MANNING IS HERE!!!

Quote:
the optimist in me doesn't want to take that bet, but then the realist in me sees the broncos' schedule this season and thinks it's going to be way harder to win more than 6 than it will be to lose 10 games this season.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 7:31 PM
no its not...

I'll take your bet....if you are still here

Quote:
You havent a clue what a good offense is if you think it includes being 24th in ball control. And I cant see how being a long time football fan is suppose to strengthen your argument - that is just silly.

The broncos were 8-8 last year. Go ahead and be a arm chair QB and call it as you see it with your simplistic anaysis. But if a teams offense does not control the clock they arent going to win many games. Putting up offensive yards doesn't equal a good offensive scheme alone. It also matters how you score those yards. Denver's scoring in the red zone last year was also quite poor I might add.

BTW....I don't appreciate your calling me clueless, simplistic or silly. We have rules about name calling on the site for good reason. If you expect respect regarding your opinions, give respect. Also, try learning to spell...or at least use spell check.... "anaysis" is spelled 'analysis'.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 7:33 PM

Amazing our line only allowed 12 sacks the whole year and Cutler still managed to throw 18 Interceptions. So much for a franchise QB.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 8:02 PM

Quote:
BTW....I don't appreciate your calling me clueless, simplistic or silly. We have rules about name calling on the site for good reason. If you expect respect regarding your opinions, give respect. Also, try learning to spell...or at least use spell check.... "anaysis" is spelled 'analysis'.
Wow you're being a snob. Seriously try addressing the content dude. I know my "alledged" personal attacks werent anything you are trying to make them out to be.

The bets on top of the park. Now we wait and see...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 8:08 PM

Quote:
surely you understand levels of implication. clearly you're not insane enough to suggest that the broncos were a "special teams oriented" team (i think). it's not like we have devin hester as a return man and can successfully pin opposing teams' offense inside the 5 yd line every time we punt and have a 100% touchback percentage....

by that implication, either we're a defensive team or maybe that we aren't really a team at all? is that what you're getting at?

this isn't about how good or bad denver vs opponent's time of possession is. it's about the notion that somehow denver has somehow not been an offensive team the past 2 decades. the team has lived and died by their offense...the offense is the main contributing factor to their success, not the D or special teams. to say that somehow we're "returning" to an offensive team is a joke. what we're doing is sticking to our guns and trying to hopefully improve it, which, btw, i think mcdaniels is an absolute retard in his methodology for accomplishing such.

I have no idea why you are trying to argue against Denver not being an offensive team the last two decades. My reference to returning to an offensive oriented team is within the context of the past few years not the last two decades. i loved the explosive offenses of the past. But lets face it being 24th in ball control speaks volumes about the "quality" of the offense we ran last year. The cutler-Shanahan offensive scheme was 8-8 and 7-9.

BTW, Mcdaniels is the guy who was behind the dominent New england offense of its recent succsuful era. I cant see how you think he is a retard.

Last edited by DENVER 2012; Apr 29, 2009 at 8:19 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 8:17 PM

Listen folks we just aquired one of the best college RB's in the last decade who just happens to fit in with our new coaches offensive scheme. We were also fortunate enough to get two first round defensive players (Smith should of gone in first round but his size was at issue). Kyle orton has an arm like a cheer leader so we needed a RB that can produce.

Also, we just signed ten free agent college players, a nose tackle from Hampton Chris Baker 6'2" 326 Lbs, a linebacker from SJ state thats 6'5" 276 and a defensive end from Cal. add Ayers and Smith along with Andra davis at Lb (had 143 tackles last year, 207 a few years back), brian dawkins and renaldo hill in the back and the defense is looking good. It will be ok.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 8:18 PM
no its not...

Enough of you...

Quote:
Wow you're being a snob. Seriously try addressing the content dude. I know my "alledged" personal attacks werent anything you are trying to make them out to be.

The bets on top of the park. Now we wait and see...

So now I'm a "snob". Apparently you can't make a point without adding some name calling. I will ignore you. You have no class, no matter what your football opinions might be, so I would doubt you're being able to cover a $20 bet. By the way....."alledged" is spelled 'alleged'

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Number 2 in yards, far down the list in scoring. I can't find the stat right now, but they where particularly bad in second half scoring.

I think McDaniels has the team moving in the right direction. The worst part of the defense last year wasn't the front 7, it was incredibly bad tackling in the secondary. We forced very few turnovers simply because teams (particularly late in games) didn't have to run very many plays to score. 5 yards gains became touchdowns because the safety play (and to a lesser extent the corner play) was simply that bad.

McDaniels knows this, because that's exactly what New England exploited last year when they blew the Broncos off the field. By improving the toughness and ability in the secondary he's going to force offenses to actually stay on the field. We're not going to have a good defense by any means, but he has taken steps to plug up the most glaring holes. This defense had gotten so bad, however, that it's going to take a couple of seasons to mend it.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 9:00 PM

Oh.. and how 'bout them Nuggets?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West