HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: St Patrick's Island bridge comp: Which one do you like?
Rosales + Partners 15 8.11%
Halcrow Yolles (The Reach) 57 30.81%
Halcrow Yolles (Eddie & Flow) 16 8.65%
Manu Chugh 26 14.05%
Busby Perkins + Will 37 20.00%
Buckland Taylor 5 2.70%
Saucier + Perotte 7 3.78%
Delcan 17 9.19%
Marc Boutin 21 11.35%
Sturgess Architecture 47 25.41%
Infinity Engineering 69 37.30%
Arup & Kasian 36 19.46%
Arup & Falko Schmitt 1 0.54%
Arup & Frederick 2 1.08%
SPF with Arup (O-Bar) 9 4.86%
SPF with Arup (Glide) 53 28.65%
Rogers Stirk Harbour 4 2.16%
DeJong 8 4.32%
IBI 0 0%
CH2MHILL (option 1) 2 1.08%
Team IBHL 1 0.54%
RFR / Halsall 9 4.86%
Endres Ware & Amman Whitney 10 5.41%
Other (specify with post) 6 3.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:07 PM

What I find most amusing is the fact that he gives all the credit to the Calgary architects and doens't even mention the nationality of their partners. lol. What a shit show the Sun is trying to put on.

What I want to ask these guys is how much the damn trout / mountain pattern on the GE5 cost, how much the 'artistic' barbed wire on that Crowchild overpass cost, how much the mountain design on the Stony Trail / Deerfoot overpass cost, and why they don't bitch about that, their damn tax dollars paid for it, and I'm guessing those 3 'designs' cost a few million dollars that could have been spent somewhere else. I'm going to guess they support it because they see it while driving their cars over it and it prettys up their drive but they don't support the pedestrian bridges because they can't drive over them. This city really pisses me off sometimes, pedestrians are like an afterthought here and that's the way all the suburbanites like it, as soon as you try to change that they all start crying foul.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:13 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
This city really pisses me off sometimes, pedestrians are like an afterthought here and that's the way all the suburbanites like it, as soon as you try to change that they all start crying foul.
Ah, the joys of being Calgarian. I find many times Calgarians are outright hostile to pedestrians. Inching up on you when you are crossing a crosswalk, not looking out when they make a turn and didn't see you, driving ahead when you are only a foot or so out of their driving path etc. I don't mind though, I give people the biggest stare down when they do things like that. Sometimes I just stop dead in my tracks when someone pulls that kind of crap on me, and just stare right at them for a few seconds, and shake my head. If they couldn't wait a few seconds for my safety, I am going to make them wait a few seconds more. Some people need to learn to have some patience and the 3 extra seconds they have to wait for me to cross the street safely aren't really that big of a deal.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Ah, the joys of being Calgarian. I find many times Calgarians are outright hostile to pedestrians. Inching up on you when you are crossing a crosswalk, not looking out when they make a turn and didn't see you, driving ahead when you are only a foot or so out of their driving path etc. I don't mind though, I give people the biggest stare down when they do things like that. Sometimes I just stop dead in my tracks when someone pulls that kind of crap on me, and just stare right at them for a few seconds, and shake my head. If they couldn't wait a few seconds for my safety, I am going to make them wait a few seconds more. Some people need to learn to have some patience and the 3 extra seconds they have to wait for me to cross the street safely aren't really that big of a deal.
I walk to work and back 2x a day, I could write an essay on how dumb, ignorant and distracted drivers in this city are. But this is a thread about the bridge and the bad journalism surrounding it. lol, maybe I'll start a "pedestrian experiance in Calgary" thread sometime.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:27 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
I walk to work and back 2x a day, I could write an essay on how dumb, ignorant and distracted drivers in this city are. But this is a thread about the bridge and the bad journalism surrounding it. lol, maybe I'll start a "pedestrian experiance in Calgary" thread sometime.
Do it. I need a place to vent.

The good thing about the bridge is you get to avoid drivers.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
This city really pisses me off sometimes, pedestrians are like an afterthought here and that's the way all the suburbanites like it, as soon as you try to change that they all start crying foul.
Generalize much?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:50 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Once you've experienced a Chinese city as a pedestrian, you'll NEVER complain about Calgary drivers again!

Still, don't understand the hate against this bridge. The design is clean and beautiful, and will make a nice addition to that area. Looking forward to seeing the completed bridge a couple years from now.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 11:00 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Once you've experienced a Chinese city as a pedestrian, you'll NEVER complain about Calgary drivers again!
Ha ha. yeah, Calgary drivers seem like the nicest in the world when compared to even places like Toronto. In fact, I was almost killed by one on Sunday in North York. Toronto had 14 pedestrian fatalities in January of this year alone!

In Calgary, you can stand at the side of a street like Elbow drive and cars in both directions come to a stop, even in the absense of a cross walk. I've seen it happen many times.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Do it. I need a place to vent.

The good thing about the bridge is you get to avoid drivers.
done http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...39#post4761739

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanuck View Post
Generalize much?
Okay, that is a generalization, but I think that's the way the majority of driving suburbanites feel. Anyway, if you want to discuss, I created another thread.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Certainly could have been a lot worse. I do like this proposal with the different sized arches better that the original version. The island connection as proposed is terrible, but refinement should make it better.

The lighting should be great, and if those arches are as shiny as it shows, it will look excellent with the light reflecting off of it.

I disagree somewhat with the not possible/too expensive reasoning though, Though I think there were a few that weren't possible, and some that would have been too expensive, the best ones on the list would have been neither of those.
If you go to: http://happypontist.blogspot.com/ You will find a good dialogue and explanation on all 33 of the submissions that explains a lot about why some of the entries couldn't make it into the finalist round. Its written by an experienced bridge engineer, and makes for some interesting reading about some of the thoughts. Some good thoughts on competitions too.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 12:00 AM

A rare bit of input

[QUOTE=Calgarian;4761597]What I find most amusing is the fact that he gives all the credit to the Calgary architects and doens't even mention the nationality of their partners. lol. What a shit show the Sun is trying to put on.

Most of you know I lurk here, because you're all very entertaining — I had no intention of taking part in the discussions. Until now.
The above stings. Totally my fault — I had the full name and nationality of the Paris half of this bid in the column, and then somehow cut it out, forgetting to re-add it. I'm happy that a Calgarian helped the cause, but wasn't meaning to snub the French.

I have a horrible cold, so I'm blaming fever for the oversight. The rest of you can continue to blame my upbringing, genetics, employer, choice of music, friends and beer, or whatever you'd like.

Platt

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 12:14 AM

[QUOTE=bluespenny;4761830]
Quote:
What I find most amusing is the fact that he gives all the credit to the Calgary architects and doens't even mention the nationality of their partners. lol. What a shit show the Sun is trying to put on.

Most of you know I lurk here, because you're all very entertaining — I had no intention of taking part in the discussions. Until now.
The above stings. Totally my fault — I had the full name and nationality of the Paris half of this bid in the column, and then somehow cut it out, forgetting to re-add it. I'm happy that a Calgarian helped the cause, but wasn't meaning to snub the French.

I have a horrible cold, so I'm blaming fever for the oversight. The rest of you can continue to blame my upbringing, genetics, employer, choice of music, friends and beer, or whatever you'd like.

Platt
Wow, I'm not even going to start on you. lol

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:34 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTall View Post
If you go to: http://happypontist.blogspot.com/ You will find a good dialogue and explanation on all 33 of the submissions that explains a lot about why some of the entries couldn't make it into the finalist round. Its written by an experienced bridge engineer, and makes for some interesting reading about some of the thoughts. Some good thoughts on competitions too.
I wish I knew about this blog back when the process started, it's excellent.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:54 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Ha ha. yeah, Calgary drivers seem like the nicest in the world when compared to even places like Toronto. In fact, I was almost killed by one on Sunday in North York. Toronto had 14 pedestrian fatalities in January of this year alone!

In Calgary, you can stand at the side of a street like Elbow drive and cars in both directions come to a stop, even in the absense of a cross walk. I've seen it happen many times.
Agreed x1000. No city is full of perfect drivers but Calgary has some of the most polite drivers when it comes to pedestrians, period. I've seen people come to a complete stop on a 4 lane, divided road, with no pedestrian crossing in sight - oh, but 20m from a set of lights, where you'd think the pedestrian just might try to cross.

Being used to the drivers here it's damned dangerous to visit anywhere else. My friends are constantly grabbing the back of my jacket and hauling me back onto the curb, because I'm just so used to cars stopping for me. Especially in parking lots, I think I've maybe seen one car in 5 years that didn't stop for me.

It's worth noting that every time a pedestrian is killed, or even seriously hurt, it's HEADLINE NEWS in this city. It's so rare that it becomes the #1 story on the evening news when it does happen (in fact, we just had one last week where some kid ran into traffic).

Oh, and I may be the only one, but I LOVE the fish on Glenmore. But I like all public art like that and I'm not about to go pointing fingers at either suburbanites or downtown dwellers and try to claim moral superiority here. The barbed wire can go rot though, it's fugly.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 2:13 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTall View Post
Thanks for posting. Interesting to read the thoughts of a true bridge enthusiast. Sounds like the changes to RFRs design in the shortlist competition won him over as well as CMLC.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Oh, and I may be the only one, but I LOVE the fish on Glenmore. But I like all public art like that and I'm not about to go pointing fingers at either suburbanites or downtown dwellers and try to claim moral superiority here. The barbed wire can go rot though, it's fugly.
I agree. I don't mind the fish at all, they are better than nothing.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 4:35 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

[QUOTE=bluespenny;4761830]
Quote:

Platt
Well, I will say despite the fact that I disagree with most of what you write for the sun, I will give you credit for posting on a forum comprised mostly of people who disagree with you. That does take some sort of courage, so kudos. Still disagree with you, but ..... kudos.

PS- Please make the Sun better, it is so bad it hurts.

EDIT- Quoted Calgarian's quote of Bluespenny by mistake. Just note that I am responding to Bluespenny, not Calgarian.

PPS- I think I have mentioned on it here before, but I did enjoy the article on the Peace Bridge Bluespenny wrote a month or so ago after everything was said and done. It was actually somewhat balanced and more importantly, not sensationalist. I thank you for that.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Agreed x1000. No city is full of perfect drivers but Calgary has some of the most polite drivers when it comes to pedestrians, period. I've seen people come to a complete stop on a 4 lane, divided road, with no pedestrian crossing in sight - oh, but 20m from a set of lights, where you'd think the pedestrian just might try to cross.

Being used to the drivers here it's damned dangerous to visit anywhere else. My friends are constantly grabbing the back of my jacket and hauling me back onto the curb, because I'm just so used to cars stopping for me. Especially in parking lots, I think I've maybe seen one car in 5 years that didn't stop for me.

It's worth noting that every time a pedestrian is killed, or even seriously hurt, it's HEADLINE NEWS in this city. It's so rare that it becomes the #1 story on the evening news when it does happen (in fact, we just had one last week where some kid ran into traffic).

Oh I have no problem with the fish on the GE5, I was just using it as an example of unnecessary spending that these bridges are being accused of.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 5:40 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespenny View Post
The rest of you can continue to blame my upbringing, genetics, employer, choice of music, friends and beer, or whatever you'd like.

Platt
At least you're a good sport. I'll give you that. And you definitely are better than your fatter, possibly alcoholic, 'dinger' counterpart. So, since you lurk so often, here's my request: please try and represent the proportion of Calgary's population that actually supports sustainability and urban development in your columns from time to time. As much as we may make ridiculous comparisons and jokes about the more conservative element of the population of our fair city on this forum, we still passionately believe in a brighter, better, future. After all, us "latte sipping liberals" are more than just cynics on an internet forum.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:13 PM

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I thought it was time to sign up, start contributing where I can. It's a good board you have here, very informative.

In case anyone is interested, not that it matters anymore, but the ARUP / Kasian bridge was estimated to cost, at its absolute max, $17 million. Much lower than what the bridge was budgeted for.

I'd go into more detail on the competition on my thoughts on it, but let's just say I'm as dissapointed as most of you. Atleast the best bridge won out of the three that were selected, but overall, this competition was a let-down, and will be a memory of 'what could have been'.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates