HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 3:08 AM

Zoo Atlanta

I was just wondering whatever happened with the idea of moving the Zoo to Lakewood Fairgrounds and I found this chain of AJC articles. What does everyone think about the decision to stay in Grant Park? It doesn't seem to me that there's much room for a world-class zoo there. It'd be awesome if Atlanta had one to match our world-class aquarium.

Zoo Atlanta may move to Lakewood Fairgrounds
Decision about Grant Park expected in the spring

By MARK DAVIS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 01/26/07

Zoo Atlanta, a mainstay at Grant Park for more than a century, may move to the old Lakewood Fairgrounds south of downtown, the zoo's top official said Friday. It also will embark on a multimillion-dollar fund-raising campaign to add more animals to its collection, he said.

The 120-acre site where bargain-hunters most recently prowled for antiques is more than triple the size of the zoo's 35-acre tract at Grant Park, said Dennis Kelly, Zoo Atlanta's president and chief executive officer. The site contains a floodplain and lake, which would make good exhibit space for some animals, he said.

If the zoo decides to remain at Grant Park, it likely will "reconfigure parking" — adding a parking deck is one possibility — to create more space for the zoo's animals, he said.

Zoo officials and consultants are working on a master plan that will recommend whether the zoo should move or remain at Grant Park, where it has been since 1889. It will be ready in the spring, Kelly said.

The zoo also is planning a campaign to raise between $150-$175 million from public and private sources over a 10-year period, Kelly said. "We've got to raise money, no matter what we do," he said.

Zoo or zydeco at Lakewood? Public gets say

By ADRIANNE MURCHISON
Published on: 02/06/07

An expanded zoo and an amphitheater that caters to the neighborhood's musical tastes are some of the ideas to be discussed at a public meeting Tuesday night on redevelopment plans for the old Lakewood Fairgrounds.

Among those expected to speak are representatives from Zoo Atlanta.

Last month, Zoo Atlanta announced interest in moving the 118-year-old facility to the Lakewood site, where it could have room to expand. Since then, City Councilwoman Joyce Sheperd has received several telephone calls from residents who thought the zoo's move was imminent, but nothing has been decided, she said.

"For community-oriented residents, a zoo could be conducive to pulling the community together," she said.

"Based on residents' questions, I'm interested to know if the zoo can be compatible with the noise and traffic of the [HiFi Buys Amphitheatre]."

The zoo has hired a consulting firm to conduct a feasibility study on the move.

Representatives from the Atlanta Development Authority and Live Nation also are scheduled to speak at the 7 p.m. meeting.

Last July, concert promoter Live Nation, a spin-off from Clear Channel Communications, bought House of Blues, which owned and operated Hi-Fi Buys Amphitheatre in Lakewood. According to Sheperd, Live Nation plans to overhaul the property and book more acts, such as jazz and R&B, that attract the local community.

"Over the years, the community didn't go to the concerts there," said Sheperd. "But [Live Nation] wants to offer a venue that the community embraces."

Community input is a major part of Lakewood's redevelopment plan, said Sheperd, who spearheaded the public meetings.

At the first meeting, held last November, residents suggested the redevelopment plan feature everything from a new music venue to a senior citizen recreational center. Many residents agreed the development should be family-oriented, not retail-oriented like Atlantic Station. They also expressed concern about neighborhood crime.

The Lakewood area is already being revitalized, as seen by the new and refurbished homes being built and the commercial developments going up. Sheperd expects the fairground redevelopment project to take about two years to complete.

The old fairgrounds is included in the Metropolitan Parkway Tax Allocation District, created to stimulate commercial growth. The Atlanta Development Authority would sell bonds to pay for improvements to the property in hopes of enticing developers, whose projects would increase the neighborhood's commercial tax base.

The district spans the commercial corridor north and south from Clair Drive to the Hapeville city limits and east and west along portions of Cleveland Avenue and Macon Drive to the East Point city limits.

The meeting will take place at Atlanta Technical College, Academic Complex auditorium, 1560 Metropolitan Parkway at 7 p.m.

Zoo Atlanta staying in Grant Park

By Mark Davis | Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 09:33 AM

Zoo Atlanta will remain in Grant Park and not move to the old fairgrounds at Lakewood, the zoo’s board chairman said today.

Instead, the zoo will redesign its current site and possibly add a few more acres from parking lots and a tract of city-owned land adjacent to the zoo, said Mickey Brown, who oversees the board.

Board members on Tuesday agreed to keep the zoo at Grant Park, its home since 1889.

Redesigning the zoo could cost as much as $175 million, Brown estimated.

Zoo officials, consultants and others had considered moving to Lakewood, south of downtown, so that the zoo could expand. After reviewing the site, they decided it wouldn’t be worth the money, Brown said.

Some also felt an attachment to the current site, where generations of people have come to gaze at gorillas, elephants and other creatures.

“I tried to keep my personal feelings to myself, but I told people from Day 1, If there’s any way we can keep the zoo at Grant Park, that what we ought to do,” Brown said.

The zoo has scheduled a press conference later today.

Zoo to stay put, but redesign may include parking deck

By MARK DAVIS
Published on: 03/01/07

In deciding not to leave Grant Park for the Lakewood fairgrounds, Zoo Atlanta officials have answered one question — and created scores more.

What would a reconfigured zoo look like? What would it cost, and who will pay for it?

And, perhaps the thorniest query of all: Will the zoo want a parking deck to accommodate more visitors? One park advocate already wonders if it's necessary.

Dennis Kelly, the zoo's president and chief executive officer, said Wednesday that the zoo will remain at Grant Park, its home for 118 years. Zoo officials want to redesign its 35-acre site to make more room for animals and visitors. The proposal could cost $175 million or more in public and private funds, Kelly said.

The zoo will begin working on a year-long master plan detailing how it should change, Kelly said in a conference call from Africa, where he's leading a photo safari in Kenya.

"We'll take a fresh look at everything," Kelly said. That look includes parking — and, perhaps, a deck.

In 2005, a plan to build a deck for the Atlanta Botanical Garden at Piedmont Park infuriated area residents.

A deck to serve the zoo, said Phil Cuthbertson, director of the Grant Park Nature Conservancy, "is not something we'd be happy with."

The zoo's directors met Tuesday afternoon and agreed that moving to Lakewood would be too expensive, said Mickey Brown, Zoo Atlanta's board chairman. They voted not to send a letter signifying their interest in Lakewood to the Atlanta Development Authority. The city agency is overseeing the former fairgrounds' redevelopment.

"I tried to keep my personal feelings to myself," said Brown, "but I told people from day one, if there's any way we can keep the zoo at Grant Park, that is what we ought to do."

City Council Member Carla Smith, whose district includes the zoo, cheered the decision.

"It's always been: What's best for the zoo?" she said. "I'm glad they're staying."

City Council Member Joyce Sheperd, who represents the Lakewood area, said she understood the directors' decision.

"Now," she said, "our question still is: What's best for the Lakewood fairgrounds?"

Officials last year asked themselves if the zoo, a Grant Park mainstay since 1889, ought to move to a larger place to keep pace with Atlanta's growing population. Aided by consultants, they focused on Lakewood, encompassing more than 100 acres. The city-owned plot, just south of downtown, most recently had hosted an antiques mart.

On paper, Kelly said, the site looked good: a tract three times larger than the current space, close to interstates and MARTA, with a lake and a floodplain that could accommodate some animals.

But two findings in a development authority study changed that perception.

First, Atlanta Public Schools uses 23 acres, meaning less land for zoo development. Second, Hi-Fi Buys Amphitheatre, which hosts concerts at Lakewood, controls more than 60 acres. The zoo, Kelly said, either would have to buy out the amphitheater lease or build on a site slightly smaller than its current one.

"It just didn't make sense for us to pursue that," Kelly said.

Yet staying at Grant Park means the zoo may revise its parking. At present, the zoo offers parking for about 800 vehicles on 13 acres of blacktop. In an earlier interview, Kelly said the zoo might convert some of that space to exhibit area and redesign the remaining parking area, possibly building a deck.

"I think we're one of the last venues in the city where parking is free," he said Wednesday.

When city officials several years ago proposed a deck at Piedmont Park, area neighbors' reactions were fast, furious, and, ultimately, futile. The Atlanta City Council approved building a six-story, pay-to-park deck in November 2005 to serve visitors to the Atlanta Botanical Garden.

The city may get a comparable response if zoo plans suggest building a deck at Grant Park, said Cuthbertson, whose organization oversees tree planting and other improvements in the park.

"If the city hopes to move to a more greenspace, quality-of-life situation, [a parking deck] clearly does not move us in the right direction," he said.

Keeping the zoo at Grant Park is right, said Sharon Milton of Lithonia. Wednesday morning, she and a handful of friends and children gazed at a zebra, its striped haunches twitching in the sun.

"It needs to stay here," she said, "but they need to upgrade it."

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 5:20 PM

Screw Lakewood too, bad spot. Ft. McPherson property would allow for a San Diego sized/quality zoo. A MARTA stop would allow the zoo to capture conventioneers from downtown and people on long layovers from the airport and Ft. McP has that.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 5:42 PM

Is McPherson still a possibility? If not, what was it ruled out?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
Is McPherson still a possibility? If not, what was it ruled out?
It's still open so anything is possible once it closes. At 488 acres, there's more than enough room for a world class zoo and anything else Atlanta needs to do with it. The golf course would be a ready made piece of land for a zoo leaving a monstrous piece along 85 for a commercial area.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 11:01 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

I'm pretty sure that Zoo Atlanta is already a world-class zoo. More acreage doesn't make a zoo better...it's the quality of the exhibits, the number of species, and the breeding/repopulation programs for endangered species. Zoo Atlanta has some excellent exhibits - the Giant Pandas, the Rain Forest Exhibit (including one of the largest primate collections in the world), the elephants, and several others; the zoo contains over 250 species; and is active in repopulation programs for several enadangered species. Zoo Atlanta was considered one of the worst city zoos in the nation in the early 80's, but has been greatly improved to become one of the best. It's also one of the oldest, founded in 1889 at it's present location.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 2:57 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
I'm pretty sure that Zoo Atlanta is already a world-class zoo. More acreage doesn't make a zoo better...it's the quality of the exhibits, the number of species, and the breeding/repopulation programs for endangered species. Zoo Atlanta has some excellent exhibits - the Giant Pandas, the Rain Forest Exhibit (including one of the largest primate collections in the world), the elephants, and several others; the zoo contains over 250 species; and is active in repopulation programs for several enadangered species. Zoo Atlanta was considered one of the worst city zoos in the nation in the early 80's, but has been greatly improved to become one of the best. It's also one of the oldest, founded in 1889 at it's present location.
If all this is true (and I believe it to be, since your comments read like quotes from a brochure or a website), then, please explain why the Atlanta Zoo is laughed at when compared to other "national" zoos, and even most mid-sized zoos like the ones in Columbia, SC and NC.

I think a better location like McPherson would lend itself to higher attendance and better exhibits due to the fact it would be new with cutting edge exhibits, and not be a relic (like Zoo Atlanta circa 1889). .

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 2:14 PM

I went to the zoo for the first time a few months ago and was pretty disappointed. The panda exhibit actually made me feel really bad for the pandas.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 2:53 PM
100% Right 50% Of Time

I loved Zoo Atlanta - we were season ticket holders in 2005 & would regularly walk over. But I would agree - more room would be nice.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 4:24 PM
Reliable Source

Keep the zoo and develop McPherson as a natural habitat observation area!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 11:58 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiltedSnake View Post
If all this is true (and I believe it to be, since your comments read like quotes from a brochure or a website), then, please explain why the Atlanta Zoo is laughed at when compared to other "national" zoos, and even most mid-sized zoos like the ones in Columbia, SC and NC.

I think a better location like McPherson would lend itself to higher attendance and better exhibits due to the fact it would be new with cutting edge exhibits, and not be a relic (like Zoo Atlanta circa 1889). .
Laughed at by who...you? When you have some real information let me know...there is no need for me to comment further on nonsense.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Laughed at by who...you? When you have some real information let me know...there is no need for me to comment further on nonsense.
People act like we're making all this stuff up about our town.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 1:55 AM

another option would be in the huge westside park being developed in the quarry.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 3:15 AM

Zoo Atlanta is a good zoo. I think it's in a good location given its connection with the Cyclorama. It could stand to be spiffed up, but it doesn't have to be larger. Bigger won't make it better.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 4:38 PM
Closed account

Quote:
DoughBoy, it's only an observation of how most first-time visitors feel about the crappy $hit we call a zoo in Atlanta. Compare Zoo Atlanta with DC's National Zoo or San Diego's zoo and you'd be embarassed to open your mudpit to defend what it obviously a poor example of a national zoo.

As an Atlantan, I can say without prejudice that everything in Atlanta is not great, and the zoo is a glaring example of underachievement.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 6:21 PM

The Zoo is a woeful embarrassment in a neighborhood it does not belong in. It is not world class nor does a new one have to be but it SHOULD befit the level of the city it occupies.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 7:28 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

I'm quite sure all of the harsh critics of Zoo Atlanta certainly have their annual memberships to show local support for vast improvements at their horrible zoo. Additional donations can be made at http://www.zooatlanta.org/home.htm
Hopefully those who feel that Zoo Atlanta is subpar have already been active in supporting the zoo financially in order to bring about changes.

I still have not seen any concrete evidence that Zoo Atlanta is horrible compared to other zoos around the country. Yes, if compared to D.C. and San Diego, two of the top zoos in the world, Atlanta would not compare as favorably. In this thread we've seen two or three opinions from people who probably haven't visited the zoo in years (if ever) and are bad-mouthing it with nothing to back up their claims.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 4:50 PM

on charity navigator, they give the zoo high marks for efficiently using donations but very low marks for growing and expanding the zoo.

ratings

for a city this size, our zoo is certainly an afterthought.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 6:16 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
on charity navigator, they give the zoo high marks for efficiently using donations but very low marks for growing and expanding the zoo.

ratings

for a city this size, our zoo is certainly an afterthought.
It's only an afterthought to people who aren't involved with the zoo and/or don't visit it regularly. I'm sure Zoo Atlanta gets low marks for growing and expanding - there is no room to grow or expand! I suggest anyone who feels so strongly that our zoo is a "woeful embarassment" get actively involved in making some changes. You may find out that it isn't such a bad zoo after all.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 6:23 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiltedSnake View Post
DoughBoy, it's only an observation of how most first-time visitors feel about the crappy $hit we call a zoo in Atlanta. Compare Zoo Atlanta with DC's National Zoo or San Diego's zoo and you'd be embarassed to open your mudpit to defend what it obviously a poor example of a national zoo.

As an Atlantan, I can say without prejudice that everything in Atlanta is not great, and the zoo is a glaring example of underachievement.
So you can provide statistics on how first-time visitors to Zoo Atlanta feel about the quality of the zoo? You are obviously speaking simply on your opinion or something you've heard, not on acutual information.

I've been to San Diego's and D.C.'s zoos - they are examples of the best zoos in the world. It's an awfully high standard to expect Zoo Atlanta to meet, considering it started as a traveling circus over a century ago. It's a good zoo - maybe not the very best or top notch - but certainly not an embarassment.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 5:06 AM

I'm not sure if anyone else remembers back when the zoo was REALLY R-E-A-L-L-Y bad. There was actually a big national scandal and the city was pretty much embarrassed into completely revamping the zoo. The city actually considered closing the whole thing and selling off the animals, it was only through after setting up a public/private zoo assocation, and a massive, corporate and donor drive that it was saved.

The guy who ran the zoo only had the job because he was the vet for the mayor, they were having problems keeping the petting zoo stocked because employees kept taking animals home to cook for dinner, and the star attraction was Willie B. the Gorilla who sat in a small room all day watching TV.

If you think the zoo today is bad, belive me, it's 100X better than it was back then. It was one of the most delapidated, run-down, depressing places you could imagine. After all the scandals hit, it was also listed as one of the top-5 worst zoos in the country by the American Zoological Association. It was sort of the national poster child for "old school" zoos, with cramped sterile displays, stir crazy depressed animals, and no concern at all for education and conservation.

That said though, it is constrained with no expansion space, and though at the time it was completey rebuilt, it was designed as a state-of-art, progressive zoo, that' has been many years ago now. It seems like a move would give it a much needed shot in the arm.

Also, I've always argued that it would free up a nice chunk of land where Grant Park could finally be given a nice "village" development that it so sorely lacks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta