HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff's two cents View Post
By the way, thanks for posting this omro - I, for one, hope the post isn't deleted (though perhaps the name could be changed), as it would be great to brainstorm, rant, etc.

Which brings me to another thought: Has there ever been any organized protest in Hamilton concerning properties (such as the Lister Block and the fed building) that are allowed to go to waste? Any protests, that is, directed against the negligent property owners themselves?

Perhaps LIUNA has its own squad of protest-busting auxiliary police?
People here honestly don't have pride for their city that way. I'm noticing that everywhere. No one cares about upkeep really. Look at how many weeds are sprouting up EVERYWHERE, sidewalks, curbs, anywhere. It's just been like this for so long, people are just used to it, and seem to be content with the 'status-quo'

I find people do like this city, but they're people who have grown up and lived here their entire life. Of course, there's transplants that see the untapped potential in this city, and live to like it. But yeah, I don't know why there is such apathy in alot of ways in this cities.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 5:58 PM

As far as I know, the building was/is the National Revenue Building, and the offices relocated to the newer federal building on Bay St. across from Copps. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding. . . I seem to recall being enlightened on this forum months ago by someone better versed in these matters than I. .

As for new thread title suggestions, perhaps it could read "National Revenue Building | Abandoned"?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 6:07 PM

Have a look at this thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=158495
If there were expropriation for neglected buildings, the city of Hamilton would own more properties than Donald Trump.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 6:13 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

What's this building?

BTW, is still the right subforum for this topic, now the building has been identified?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 6:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

That's the former Westinghouse headquarters (Canadian).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 6:34 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

It boggles my mind that these amazing buildings are allowed to be left to rot, what is up with Hamilton's powers that be!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
urns out astroblaster was spot on with his/her guess (thanks btw!!), I wasn't initially sure because I hadn't remembered the concrete parts - thought the building was all red brick - it was only when I saw Flar's photo that shows the entire building that my memory clicked back into place.
his.

no problem. wish i could have provided better photos at the time.

im glad the mystery is solved now.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 6:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

The problem with Westinghouse building is that it's right next to Siemens and the City rejected a bid to put residential units in that building because of the industrial noise. Only office will likely be approved and that's likely never to happen with that building.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 7:07 PM

Quote:
It boggles my mind that these amazing buildings are allowed to be left to rot, what is up with Hamilton's powers that be!
Great question!!! I think there is change in the air in Hamilton, though unfortunately it's a deep gorge that we need to climb out of after so many years.

A difficult task, but not an impossible one. There's a lot of 'old guard' in Hamilton and they need to be pushed aside.

I think keeping positive momentum, and taking on 'doable' tasks is key. The Guerilla Gardening exercise this past weekend show a task that is doable and "betters" the city. It's something to build on to more and greater issues.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 7:39 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroblaster View Post
his.

no problem. wish i could have provided better photos at the time.

im glad the mystery is solved now.
:-) If this had been a competition, you'd have won a prize!

There were no problems with your photos, only my memory and brain. I only saw the building once full on and it wasn't enough of an impression to allow me to recognise the building from the other photos, however now that I can see both, it is clearly the same building.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 8:07 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
The problem with Westinghouse building is that it's right next to Siemens and the City rejected a bid to put residential units in that building because of the industrial noise. Only office will likely be approved and that's likely never to happen with that building.
Was this originally an office building? Who currently owns it?

If it can only be used as an office building, why not entrust it to a charity for their admin building, say they can have it rent free, as long as they maintain the building, which would keep the building alive and bring new workers to the city. Just a thought.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff's two cents View Post
As far as I know, the building was/is the National Revenue Building, and the offices relocated to the newer federal building on Bay St. across from Copps. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding. . . I seem to recall being enlightened on this forum months ago by someone better versed in these matters than I. .
thats the general understanding i have as well, although i'd like to add that i know someone who worked in this building and their office has been moved to the ESC office in the fortinos plaza at upper james & rymal

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 7:05 AM

Quote:
I agree, total waste. I also wonder why it was abandoned. It would make awesome apartments.

What was the Federal building? Federal what?
It was a goverment office building...if memory serves me correct it closed its doors before 2000? and has been abandoned since, I think you used to go there to get your tax papers, pay parking tickets, stuff basically like that.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 7:34 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
It was a goverment office building...if memory serves me correct it closed its doors before 2000? and has been abandoned since, I think you used to go there to get your tax papers, pay parking tickets, stuff basically like that.
What was so wrong with that building that the local government decided to move things to another building they owned, or worse built or bought a new building?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 1:38 PM

Quote:
What's this building?

I'd really like to see something happen with this. I believe this building has a heritage designation. It is in extremely poor condition.

That brings me to another thing, Buffalo has a lot of empty buildings, but they (at least the ones downtown) seem to be in much better shape than our empty buildings. They are generally cleaner, more securely boarded up and in decent repair.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 1:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
That brings me to another thing, Buffalo has a lot of empty buildings, but they (at least the ones downtown) seem to be in much better shape than our empty buildings. They are generally cleaner, more securely boarded up and in decent repair.
Judging from the pics, it looks like they may have been built to a higher standard in the first place, which helps.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 2:38 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

So when were these two beasties built?

To my mind they're great buildings.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 2:45 PM

It's been a while since I was last around the Westinghouse Building, but I think it was built just pre-WWI. Sometime around 1912 - 1914.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Judging from the pics, it looks like they may have been built to a higher standard in the first place, which helps.
It seems to me that getting Property Standards enforced in Hamilton is sometimes tougher than pulling teeth.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 3:14 PM
try being in the Buff

This building in Buffalo is not abandoned. It is a parking Garage. It was originally a livery (for horses). The windows are boarded up because the owner has no clue to how much of a treasure this structure is

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues