HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 11:02 PM

2011-04-06:

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 10:58 PM

4/9/12 by me...

Please do not repost or use without permission.

Hopefully this is not a double post, I swear I already did these but they are not showing up??

DSC_1750 by calibratedzeus, on Flickr

DSC_1737 by calibratedzeus, on Flickr

DSC_1686 by calibratedzeus, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:08 AM

It's good to see this thing so far above street level already. Hopefully a tenant is found soon, this thing isn't that far away from the top of the podium level.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dense_Electric View Post
It's good to see this thing so far above street level already. Hopefully a tenant is found soon, this thing isn't that far away from the top of the podium level.
Either way, they aren't going to rise much higher until a tenant is found. They'll be working on this until next year, at which point Silverstein will stop until a tenant is found.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:06 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 12:36 AM

Looks like the Favco 1500 on the West side of the core was removed this weekend.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 12:40 AM
BANNED

Where are the Tenants?

I'm still having a hard time understanding why Silverstein still hasn't been able to secure a tenant for this thing. Is Hudson Yards the primary "free agent" that will make the dominoes fall for all the other corporate office projects? Which NYC commercial real estate proposal is in the lead, and where would the WTC complex fit into that picture?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 1:43 AM

I would imagine the big issue with landing an anchor tenant is that there are a handful of different developers who are all trying to court the same 12-15 big tenants for their different developments. So Vornado with 15 Penn to some extent, Silverstein with the WTC, Related at the Hudson Yards, and Brookfield with Manhattan West.

So, if you're a company like say, Viacom who's looking for 1M sf, depending on when you're willing to move, you're options are 3 WTC, 2 WTC, Hudson Yards South, Hudson Yards North, 15 Penn, Manhattan West 1 and Manhattan West 2, and the Girasole actually too. So why not hold out and try and get one of the developers to capitulate and offer a little lower rent in order to secure you as a tenant so they can start their development, or even just bluff and say you're not convinced you want to move to try and get them to lower rents?

The good news is that the companies that are looking for space, are looking for huge blocks of space in a single building. So if say a monster tenant like Time Warner signs a lease at Hudson Yards North, that one company will require so much space there, that another monster tenant Credit Suisse has to look elsewhere because that building isn't big enough for both of them. Or if, Credit Suisse and Jones Day move into 3 WTC, a Viacom or News Corp have to look elsewhere.

So I agree with you assessment that we're waiting for the dominoes to fall. The economy is getting better, and these companies understand, especially the ones with big leases expiring in the near future, that they have a huge amount of uncertainty on their balance sheets just in regard to how much they're going to have to pay for rent in say 2017. But once one or two of these big fish, News Corp, Credit Suisse, Viacom, Time Warner, sign a lease somewhere, I think we'll start to see leases signed at these buildings with increasing frequency.

Sorry, that was wayyyy longer than I expected.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 2:03 AM

That wasn't too long; it was fantastic!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 2:35 AM
BANNED

Great assessment Yankeesfan1000...thanks! One last question...do real estate negotiations like this have "seasons" or heightened times of activity on the calendar, or do they just happen pretty much at random?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 2:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Great assessment Yankeesfan1000...thanks! One last question...do real estate negotiations like this have "seasons" or heightened times of activity on the calendar, or do they just happen pretty much at random?
A lot has to do with a particular company's timeframe, meaning when they have to make a decision. There was an articel in the Wall Street Journal today that spoke of Time Warner's process,
for instance...http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...455802118.html

Quote:
Time Warner, which is searching for 4 million square feet of space, plans at last to send out its requests for proposals. The media conglomerate, which owns its offices in Columbus Circle and leases space at 1100 and 1271 Sixth Ave., is looking at a wide range of options for when the leases come due, according to multiple people familiar with the matter. The company is weighing some 20 sites, the people said, including Hudson Yards, the World Trade Center, and other...

Yet, at the same time, we can never underestimate how much location plays a part in decision making, particularly when the choice is Downtown or Midtown.

April 15, 2012

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 1:14 AM
New Yorker for life

http://mycrains.crainsnewyork.com/bl...m-time-warner/

Moving Viacom, Time Warner

April 16, 2012
by Erik Ipsen

Quote:

Manhattan’s largest developers will be putting on their party hats in coming days for what looks to be the biggest round or two of musical chairs in years. The fun will likely kick off with Time Warner, which is looking for a whopping 4 million square feet of space. This month the media giant is expected to begin asking local landlords to put forth their best proposals.

A marquis name like Time Warner slapped over the door could do wonders for Related Cos.’ Hudson Yards or Brookfield’s big project just to its (east). Just think what Condé Nast’s 1 million-square-foot lease did for One World Trade Center last year. That’s why bidding will be intense, which is to say it’s why—in conjunction with a still weak market—either of those two landlords or maybe Larry Silverstein down at the Trade Center will have to low-ball their proposed asking rent. In many ways Related, will be the most motivated bidder, as it will lose Time Warner as the anchor tenant at its tower on Columbus Circle, and would dearly love to turn that loss into a victory of some sort.

The other game to watch is the one involving Viacom, currently a tenant in good standing at SL Green’s tower at 1515 Broadway in Times Square, the one originally built for the old W.T. Grant retail chain. Viacom’s lease has just three years to run, according to The Journal. That probably leaves both Brookfield’s and Related’s West Side projects out of the running since work has not even started there. But how about all that lovely space replete with a Frank Gehry-designed cafeteria at the Durst family’s Condé Nast building at 4 Times Square? Condé will be moving down to One World Trade, but even its old space is definitely a big step up from 1515 Broadway. Here again Mr. Silverstein could be a strong contender with what he’s got to offer down at the Trade Center.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 1:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:51 PM
New Yorker for life

http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/20...ogle_news_blog

Q&A: One World Trade Prepares for the Spire.

April 17, 2012
By Eliot Brown

Quote:
In a word, the redevelopment of the World Trade Center is complicated. There’s a tangled web of owners and different towers rising at the same time, all on a compact site. One of the best vantage points for this complexity belongs to Tishman Construction, the New York-based builder that has overseen construction at many of New York’s largest towers, including Goldman Sachs Group’s new building and the Bank of America tower in Midtown. Owned by AECOM, Tishman is the construction manager for One World Trade Center (owned by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and the Durst Organization); it’s co-construction manager on the Santiago Calatrava-designed $3.4 billion transportation hub (owned by the Port Authority); and it’s building 3 and 4 World Trade Center (owned by Silverstein Properties). Mike Manella oversees all these projects for Tishman, and took time last week to chat about building One World Trade — slated to be the country’s tallest building — and the other projects.

WSJ: How long have you been involved in this?

Mr. Manella: I’ve been involved in the site since literally the day after 9/11. … Back in 2001, Tishman had a previous relationship with Larry Silverstein.

WSJ: On 3 World Trade Center, you’re building the podium, which is seven stories, right?

Mr. Manella: We’re building the building that can stop at seven stores if necessary. It can continue on, and we’ve bought the project up to its roof.

WSJ: Meaning, you’ve ordered all the materials for the whole building?

Mr. Manella: We’ve bought all the contracts for the entire building. We are staging the materials based on our instructions from the client.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 9:01 PM

The more i look at the massing of 3 WTC the more i dislike it, In relation to the rest of the site it seems to not adhere to the master plan. All the other towers have larger proportions and without the extra 100 feet 3 WTC fails to make much of a mark imo.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 9:08 PM

This is slightly off topic and I am sure it has been already talked about here or in another forum, but why does 3 WTC have a concrete core rather than the steel frames used in 1 and 4 WTC? I know that both are used but can somebody explain (or point to where I could find info on) the differeces between the two construction methods? Thanks.

The tower is looking good!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPA View Post
This is slightly off topic and I am sure it has been already talked about here or in another forum, but why does 3 WTC have a concrete core rather than the steel frames used in 1 and 4 WTC? I know that both are used but can somebody explain (or point to where I could find info on) the differeces between the two construction methods? Thanks.

Concrete is cheaper than steel, and due to the fact that this building is extremely slender. Using concrete saves money.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 7:58 PM

Wait....was this building always this short? Could have sworn it was in the 1,200+ range? Was the height reduced?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Wait....was this building always this short? Could have sworn it was in the 1,200+ range? Was the height reduced?
It was originally planned to have a roof height of 1,175 feet, going to 1,240 ft to the spires. Later, the building was shortened to 1,079 feet, with a spire height of 1170 feet, and the X-Bracing was removed.

I liked it more when it was taller; it resembled the South Tower, and had the same domineering presence on the skyline.

Last edited by Chapelo; Apr 24, 2012 at 3:18 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPA View Post

All five towers at the World Trade have a core steel frame encased in high strength concrete.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive