HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 11:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
In my experience, young people from around the Maritimes, Newfoundland, and New England have been attracted by the "live and let live" attitude that is prevalent here and exemplified by the popularity of Reflections and Pride Week within the general public. Halifax is more of a social melting pot than cities like Toronto and Montreal which have very obvious gay villages and ethnic neighbourhoods, and more diverse than cities like Moncton and Saint John which is where a lot of these kids are moving from.
I think many people in Halifax sort of take it for granted as the norm when in reality it's pretty unusual for such a small city. Halifax is one of the most tolerant and liberal places in Canada. It's been that way for a very long time.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 12:23 AM

I've heard that since the cabaret license didn't work out for Gottingen, Reflections might consider moving into the old Elephant and Castle space (also formerly Merrill's). Not sure on the status of this, but I like the idea... If it doesn't pan out, I imagine that another club space might fill the void...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 12:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
One major event doesn't really prove your point, and I don't think one bar would really make any difference.
Don't think, eh?
An educated guess would involve you going to Reflections and seeing how (as it was previously said, on any given Friday and Saturday) upwards to half the crowd is from outside of Halifax/Nova Scotia.

The gays, especially from New Brunswick, religiously flock to Halifax to spend their money -- and not just for Pride -- but every weekend: and the city is giving them a reason to stay home.

This is stupid because the reason stated for Reflection's cabaret license rejection was concern for the "growing residential character" of Gottingen. This might be a valid reason if Reflections was attempting to relocate inside a convent-- but it is not; it is trying to relocate to Gottingen Street. Gottingen Street.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 12:39 AM

Right, but is Reflections the only reason they come to Halifax?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 1:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Yes.

The shopping alone isn't enough, as New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are fairly parallel in retail. I think it's fair to say that places like Montreal and Toronto would be shopping destinations.

I am telling you that a gay-friendly dance club open until 3:30/4am is a very, very big deal for a city to have when absolutely no other city in the region has it. I know so many gay people from NB that will come to Halifax not even for the entire weekend, but for just one night -- all because the gay bar is open until late.

Since you're trying to make this seem completely insignificant, I'll grant you the assumption: this is just one bar and it's no big deal. The question still stands as to why we're saying no even to this small amount of business.

And can someone please bring about a revelation as to why in the hell Gottingen's residential character is being protected from 4am drag queens?

Oh wait..

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 1:18 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I would argue in any case that Gottingen is not a good place for somebody to live if they have a problem with noise.

I'm also not really sure what difference it makes setting the hours to 2 a.m. vs. 4. Neither is compatible with a normal work schedule.

Maybe Reflections would be okay in the Elephant and Castle spot but that seems like it would be a higher rent location.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 12:09 PM

I was never a big fan of the idea to move to Gottingen anyway. As well as being a very large draw for gays around the maritimes Reflections is also the go to bar for dancing as well as the after hour bar for all those that go out to other places. Relocating to Gottingen would take away a lot of customers in my opinion. Someone who is downtown at another bar until 2 is much less likely to travel all the way up there as oppose to going to a location that is still in the proper downtown. I really hope that things work out at the Elephant and Castle site!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 12:09 PM

I have not been on here for a few days, is Reflections thinking of moving to the Sister Sites?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollistreet View Post
I have not been on here for a few days, is Reflections thinking of moving to the Sister Sites?
Not a chance.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 6:22 PM

Quote:
I would say it's probably part of their reason to come here. May rural gay people come to the City because they can be who they are - be open. Whereas in some rural communities they can't be out of fear.

So they would come to Halifax to go to the gay bars, but to make friends, shop or just get away.

Edmonton's gay scene is better than Calgary's and I drive up quite a bit and go to their bars, but I also go to see friends. Plus West Ed is a hoot. There are also a lot of events and groups within the gay community that have events going year round. There is the imperial court (don't ask me to explain it, I don't understand it) - but it's some drag queen group that does charity work, but also performs. They do functions across the country. I have friends coming out from Halifax to perform here in Calgary in April and Edmonton in July. People from across the country travel to the Halifax events in February and year round. So don't take pride to be 'the only' event...there are others. There are also groups for 'bears' (older/masculine guys) and then there are those into leather that do competitions, but I won't go into that...it's too early and I haven't had coffee.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 2:44 PM

From the Chronicle Herald site:

Developer: No hints on city building design
January 24, 2012 - 8:52pm By REMO ZACCAGNA Business Reporter

A preliminary design for a joint downtown mixed-use development project has been completed, but remains under wraps pending municipal approval, says one of the developers.

WM Fares Group and Banc Developments Ltd. purchased two parking lots on Clyde Street, divided by Birmingham Street, in June for $14.7 million.

They plan to build two nine-storey buildings — one floor of commercial retail space and the rest residential — with each having three levels of underground parking.

They initially hoped to have the proposal before Halifax regional council in November, with construction beginning in the spring, but that timeline has now been pushed back.

“We are moving ahead with the design and, hopefully, we’ll get our approvals to start construction this year,” said Besim Halef of Banc Developments.

“The initial elements of the design is done, so (we’re) just kind of trying to get it through the city. We cannot release it until HRM by Design committee agrees to it.”

He wouldn’t divulge any specific details about the buildings pending that approval.

The lots are in an area once known as Schmidtville, named after three sisters who lived in the area.

The developments will be built on the Mary Ann lot, a 33,869-square-foot property bounded by Birmingham, Queen and Clyde streets, and the Margaretta lot, the neighbouring 42,600-square-foot lot on the other side of Birmingham.

Mary Ann and Margaretta are two of the sisters who lived in the area.

Plazacorp Retail Properties Ltd. will be a partner in the project and the Fredericton company will own the combined 70,000 square feet of retail space in the ground floors of the two buildings

Halef said he thinks the approval process will be concluded in the next few months.

“Your guess is as good as mine. It depends on the city. I was hoping to have it by now, but I obviously don’t have it. It’s a process that’s kind of back and forth to get the final approval.”

The former Halifax Infirmary site on Queen Street, nicknamed Rosina after the third Schmidt sister, is expected to be put on the market by Halifax Regional Municipality sometime this year.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 3:38 PM
BANNED

9 floors is too short.

Nevertheless, I will rejoice to the riddance of all that horrible surface parking.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
9 floors is too short.

Nevertheless, I will rejoice to the riddance of all that horrible surface parking.
9 Floors is optimistic in this area, considering how viewplanes 9 and 10 paint the parking lots. If he can get 9 floors, great but I think 8 might be more like it. Look at the City Centre Atlantic and how that addition just comes in under VP 9 I believe.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 7:43 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I remember hearing about November originally and thinking that was an unrealistically short time frame.

In any case, looking forward to seeing the renderings for this one. A preliminary rendering was posted on page 3 of this thread but the final product could look totally different. I am hoping they go with something simple and modern.

The Olympic Village here in Vancouver has a variety of interesting designs. I think they'd have to be adapted to Halifax but the scale of the individual buildings is similar to what would be built on these lots:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=139393&page=6

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 8:06 PM
Urban Thinker

I remember the preliminary designs to be ok, but a bit busy. Hopefully the completed design is modern and simple.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 10:37 PM

I wonder if they too will have lighthouses out front.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 11:50 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I hope so. There are not enough lighthouses in this town. Being sarcastic or course.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I wonder if they too will have lighthouses out front.
perhaps giant sou'westers?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 2:25 PM

Giant lobsters wearing giant sou'westers drinking a giant Keith's while fishing ??

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 3:29 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
Giant lobsters wearing giant sou'westers drinking a giant Keith's while fishing ??
Playing a fiddle as well? Don't give them ideas, lol!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth