HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 12:16 PM

The AL East is ridiculous. The Jays would be a perennial playoff team in any other division.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 8:07 AM

Can we move this thread to the Canada section? It's dying a slow and painful death here.

Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 10:00 AM

Agreed. It is Canada's baseball team after all and there is an Expos thread (a team that doesn't even exist)..

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 1:09 PM

Arrrrrrrrrrgh! I was just having a laugh when I mentioned Alvarez potentially having elbow soreness. It looks like it was no joke afterall.

Jamie Moyer to the Jays!! 49 years young! Broke into MLB in 1986!! How awesome is that?

Otherwise though, the Jays are kinda screwed. It's hard to look at things any differently. Maybe it is time to say fook it and build for next year. Blasphemy, I know.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 11:30 PM
Beefeater

The good luck continues. It will take a minor miracle for the Jays to hang around now. Moyer is a cool story but I'm not looking forward to one of his starts given he got knocked around in the NL West

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 9:07 AM

Here's a fun exercise: Name the Jays' starting rotation.

1. Romero
2. Cecil
3. Laffey
4. Carreno?
5. Chavez?
6. Moyer??

Canadian pitcher, Scott Richmond, saw some action last night. Some may recall him starting quite a few games in 2009 with some success. He's an interesting story: undrafted and playing in the Independent League prior to being signed by the Jays at the age of 28. Last year in LV he was 6-9 with a 7.33 ERA.

Shawn Hill has started a couple games in LV. He seems to be doing well and may get the call soon ~ God knows the Jays need all the help they can get!

Almost forgotten slugger Travis Snider is healthy and playing again at AAA. He's hitting .336 with 8 HR and 39 RBI in only 137 AB. His production is as good, if not even a little better than what Lind accomplished (.392 8 HR 29 RBI in 125 AB). If I were Snider, I think I'd start taking things a little personally. They need to call him up or deal him. He's too good to be left in the minors.

Incidentally, Eric Thames isn't exactly lighting things up at LV (.273 2 13).

There's a lot of young talent at AAA. It'll be interesting to see what transpires in the coming weeks.

Last edited by Dr Awesomesauce; Jun 27, 2012 at 9:59 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 11:44 AM

Pitching news: Alvarez

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
Can we move this thread to the Canada section? It's dying a slow and painful death here.

Thanks.
No this is a local team and will be staying in the local section.

The Canada section is already Toronto-centric enough already, not to mention the fit several forumers would have if this was moved into the Canada section.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 9:26 AM

Moyer made his first start at LV the other day and got the win. He pitched 5 innings giving up 3 earned runs on 7 hits while striking out 6. Not a bad start. We'll have to see how he does next time. Another good one and he may get the call.

You have to wonder what's in it for him: he's been in the league since 1986; he's won 269 games; he won a World Series with the Phillies in 2008 (at the tender age of 45 ); and according to Baseball-Reference.com, he's grossed over $82M in his career. Interestingly, his salary was a mere $60.000 with the Cubs in his rookie season. http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...oyerja01.shtml

Villanueva's getting the nod for Friday's game against the Angels. Cecil fared poorly against a tough Angels' lineup last night.

Last edited by Dr Awesomesauce; Jun 29, 2012 at 9:39 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 1:03 PM

Lind with a nice comeback last night: two dingers and four ribbies.

All eyes on Alvarez's elbow today. My guess is it isn't gonna be pretty.

Along those lines, I haven't heard much chatter about Romero's woes. Is it mechanical or is he struggling through injury like everybody else? Man, he's been shaky this year, 8-2 record notwithstanding.

Last edited by Dr Awesomesauce; Jun 30, 2012 at 1:16 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 3:24 AM

Alvarez (5-6, 4.15) looked great! 7 IP, 7 H, 1 ER and 3 KOs on only 80 pitches. My guess is they'll be working on a very tight pitch count from here on out.

Laffey will go tomorrow against CJ Wilson (9-4, 2.36). A tough way to finish off the series, though Wilson's last outing at Rogers Centre was quite poor.

Rasmus made a huge diving play in centre today: Flat-out, highlight reel stuff. If his play of late is any indication, Rasmus should be a perennial 25-30 HR, Gold Glove kind of player for the Jays. This is the year where he starts getting a little respect, rather than simply being labelled 'a head case with upside' like he was in STL.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 4:41 AM

I was at the game today and it got pretty loud.
The've officially hit the 1 million attendance mark in home game #37. Apparently the fastest since the early 2000s or so they said.
Did anyone else notice Rasmus taking Lawrie's bat?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 5:10 AM

^ it's nice to see the dome full again. Going to a game is so much more fun when the house is packed!

Does anybody else remember when the jays opened against Chicago a couple of years ago and the crowed cheered "f**k you Rios" everytime he came to bat? I think he went three for four that night.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 8:30 AM

Haha cool.

One thing I've noticed about Rogers Centre of late [and other venues as well] is that heckling is now considered anti-social behaviour. The attitude seems to be 'Just sit down and watch the game.' While I don't necessarily condone dropping the F-bomb at a ball game, Jays fans really need to up the edginess level somewhat.

Yeah, that's good news about attendance: 1.001.983 fans through 37 home games. That's approximately 27.000 per game. Over the course of a season that's about 2.2 million. That would be the most since 2008 when they drew 2.4 million. If the Jays manage to get into some meaningful games down the stretch [perhaps unlikely now] that number would be even greater.

BTW, are Rasmus and Lawrie sharing bats now? I love all the superstitious nonsense in baseball. It's one of the things that makes it so special.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 3:09 AM

Quote:

BTW, are Rasmus and Lawrie sharing bats now? I love all the superstitious nonsense in baseball. It's one of the things that makes it so special.
Me too. It adds to the interest level. For me I have to buy a hot dog from a specific vendor before each game I go to or else the Jays will lose. And I'm not even superstitious!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Along those lines, I haven't heard much chatter about Romero's woes. Is it mechanical or is he struggling through injury like everybody else? Man, he's been shaky this year, 8-2 record notwithstanding.
Here's a recent article on Ricky Ro. The author suggests it's arm fatigue, similar to what Halladay went through a few years back. http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/scott_ferguson/?id=399530

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 9:27 AM

While the Jays don't have the luxury to do so, I'm sure they'd love to shut Romero down. There's almost no point to him going out there anymore. With the loss last night he's 8-3 with a 5.35 ERA. The wheels are off and his 'arm fatigue' needs to be dealt with.

David Pauley's also been really poor since coming over from the Angels. He's got a 9.95 ERA in 5 appearances since the trade. Again, the Jays aren't really in a position to be shutting down / releasing pitchers but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go.

In contrast, Laffey's been good since getting the call (0-0, 2.14 21 IP). Considering the state of the starting rotation, he should get plenty of opportunity to perform heading into the Dog Days of summer.

Moyer will be starting his second game for LV soon. If he does well, he'll likely get a chance to start in Toronto.

Cecil goes tonight. *fingers crossed*

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 10:27 AM

Farm Report

AAA Las Vegas (47-37, 3rd)
Gomes .351 9 38
Thames .319 2 16
Hechevarria .314 6 56
Sierra .303 14 51

Beck 1-0 0.94

AA New Hampshire (32-49, 6th - last)
McDade .297 13 42

McGuire 4-9 6.22 *his numbers have improved over the past few weeks*

A Lansing (52-28, 1st)
Pillar .320 4 48 (31 SB)

Sanchez 7-0 0.63
Nicolino 3-1 1.74
Syndergaard 4-2 3.35

*The Midwest League is offensively challenged so the list of pitchers with great numbers in Lansing is too long to list. These three are the top prospects with the Lugnuts, however.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 9:41 AM

Cecil (2-1, 5.64) pitched pretty well last night. Lind looking good as well with a tater and 3 ribbies. Villanueva's up next.

Even in their current state, splitting with the Royals at home would be a let down. They really need three outta four.

The Jays are now 41-40. Last year at the same time they were 40-41 and were 45-47 at the All Star break. We'll see if they can eclipse that mark this year. Not much else to hope for at this point.

David Pauley's been sent down to LV...no surprise there.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 9:50 AM

Villanueva threw six shutout innings adding seven Ks. Janssen with his 11th save in 12 tries.

Everybody in the lineup had a hit. Encarnacion now has a ten game hitting streak.

Alvarez going Thursday night.

p.s. Moyer got smoked in his last outing. The jury's still out on him, especially with fill-ins like Laffey and Villanueva doing well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto