HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 10:00 PM

Vancouverites like where they live

By Doug Ward and Kelly Sinoski, Vancouver Sun

Vancouverites are more positive about their city than the residents of Montreal and Toronto are about theirs, according to a new Angus Reid poll.

The survey found 67 per cent of respondents in Vancouver believed their city was the most livable in Canada.

“This is a high number,” said Jean-Francois Barsoum, a senior consultant with IBM, which commissioned the poll.

“Only about one-third of Montrealers picked their own city.”

Sixty-five per cent of Vancouverites said their city is on the path toward long-term livability. Barsoum said Vancouverites and British Columbians generally were more concerned with livability than were respondents in other provinces.

“Not only did Vancouverites rate their own city highly, but they also rated it highly on a dimension they felt was important.”

Vancouverites weren’t alone in feeling positive about B.C.’s largest city. Vancouver topped the poll when Canadians were asked to choose the most livable city in Canada, with 18 per cent of respondents putting it in first place.

But Jon Garson, of the B.C. Chamber of Commerce, said the poll didn’t paint a complete picture of sustainability, as it didn’t include questions around housing affordability or property taxes.

“Packaging it as a livability poll is a little bit ingenuous,” he said, but added: “There’s stuff in there that governments should pay attention to.”

Vancouverites acknowledged that their urban region has problems. Sixty-nine per cent cited transportation as a major challenge for Metro Vancouver, compared with 60 per cent of Torontonians and 53 per cent of Montrealers.

TransLink spokesman Ken Hardie said it’s not surprising transit is at the top of the list of concerns, noting it generally lands in the top three.

But Hardie said it shouldn’t be seen in a negative light. “That shows two things: that people are interested in the system and they have a real stake in how it works.”

He said there are several reasons Vancouverites are so passionate about transit. Not only are they environmentally aware, but many come from other countries that have been stripped of trees and parks and overdeveloped.

“They really jealously guard the quality of life here,” he said. “People want to to maintain that.”

But Garson said it’s concerning that Vancouverites are worried about transit, given that the city has some of the best transportation in the region.

“That really highlights not only the challenges in Vancouver but in other communities,” he said.

Garson said Vancouverites also hit close to the bone on their views about the economy, with 11 per cent of respondents citing worries about declining career opportunities.

He noted that jibes with the feelings of businesspeople, who have cited skills and labour shortages among their major challenges.

Vancouver had mixed results when it came to public safety. Sixty-three per cent of respondents in Vancouver ranked public safety as good or excellent while 40 per cent said public safety is one of the biggest challenges facing Canadian cities, ahead of respondents in Ottawa (25 per cent) and Toronto (27 per cent.)

“Vancouverites seem to be saying we are doing well, but that more needs to be done when it comes to public safety,” Barsoum said.

The poll, which questioned 2,015 adult Canadians, has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.19 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Vancouve...713/story.html

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 10:52 PM

Sadly, I thought Vancouver had the whiniest residents. The other guys must be on the verge of suicide...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 12:15 AM
Bridge Walker!

I like it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Funny, you'd never know it by visiting this forum.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Funny, you'd never know it by visiting this forum.
And I know online comments aren't much of a sign, but if you only read CBC you'd assume we were the Zoloft capital of Canada, too.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 2:57 AM

Because this is the best place to come and talk about what is wrong, instead of being a bunch of smuggy assholes patting each other on the back.

If dealing with internationals or other Canadians from outside of BC, I have only good things to say! (I always sell Vancouver as hard as I can to internationals, for example, on Sunday I took up two guys from England from one of my classes hiking up Golden Ears and then to Metrotown for some sushi and fun, and the entire time only pointing out good things about Metro-Vancouver along the way.

I love Vancouver (that word to me includes anything west of the the Mission and Abbotsford area by the way) but I find this local forum (as i am sure many do) a great place to discuss what we believe is wrong with out area and how to improve it.

If people were smug and 100% satisfied with Vancouver as it was 20 years ago I am sure we would not have seen the great positive changes that have occurred since then.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Because this is the best place to come and talk about what is wrong, instead of being a bunch of smuggy assholes patting each other on the back.

If dealing with internationals or other Canadians from outside of BC, I have only good things to say! (I always sell Vancouver as hard as I can to internationals, for example, on Sunday I took up two guys from England from one of my classes hiking up Golden Ears and then to Metrotown for some sushi and fun, and the entire time only pointing out good things about Metro-Vancouver along the way.

I love Vancouver (that word to me includes anything west of the the Mission and Abbotsford area by the way) but I find this local forum (as i am sure many do) a great place to discuss what we believe is wrong with out area and how to improve it.

If people were smug and 100% satisfied with Vancouver as it was 20 years ago I am sure we would not have seen the great positive changes that have occurred since then.
Well, fair criticism is good, and welcomed. If not, this may still be City Hall

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fi...after_fire.jpg

But it seems like some people love nothing more than to espouse how horrible Vancouver is, in almost all ways

Vancitybuzz was talking about this not too long ago with a post entitled: "Vancouver, Unappreciated By Locals" after Forbes named Vancouver the 4th best city in the World to live.
http://vancitybuzz.blogspot.com/2009...by-locals.html

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 4:34 AM

I love Vancouver!

My home, and my choice of where I would live. How can anyone NOT love this city and call it home? hehe

There is so much this city offers, but of course, there is a lot that Vancouver needs to improve on as well. Like one of the posters here said, fair criticism is needed for the city to continue to grow and make improvements. If we're not progressing, and making "forward" improvements, then we're moving backwards, and being left behind in the world.

I'm a huge sports fan, and one of the things I'd love for Vancouver to offer more of, is a better professional sports scene. The outdoors is great, and there is a lot of great things this city offers, besides the outdoors, and like so many here have said before, this city in particular is very young. In a short period of time, Vancouver's made tremendous progress. I'm excited for the next 2-3 decades, what kind of city Vancouver becomes.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 7:10 PM

I would like to know how other`cities fared. Just comparing the three largest cities is completly disingenuos.
Also how are earth could anyone talk about livability and not include the cost of living? When you pay triple for your mortgage than your average Montrealer and you have the lowest rate of home ownership in the country?
If you ask Vancouverites don't like about their city I bet the cost of living would be at the top of the list.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 8:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Well, fair criticism is good, and welcomed. If not, this may still be City Hall

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fi...after_fire.jpg

But it seems like some people love nothing more than to espouse how horrible Vancouver is, in almost all ways

Vancitybuzz was talking about this not too long ago with a post entitled: "Vancouver, Unappreciated By Locals" after Forbes named Vancouver the 4th best city in the World to live.
http://vancitybuzz.blogspot.com/2009...by-locals.html
Having moved here from the US and prior to that the UK (mostly Edinburgh and Manchester), I can say that Vancouver is denfinately a good place to call home. As noted, it does have some challenges, affordable housing for the dtes, transit etc. I'd like to see more culture, the arts and night life, but hey, you can't have it all, and i have seen the city improve since i first started coming here some 18 or 19 years since.

I do get tired of the predictable and sterotypical negative comments about the place, that smack with lack of insight or experience of other places. It's all, it rains all the time, it's too expensive, crime is out of control, we're not friendly etc....

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 8:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I would like to know how other`cities fared. Just comparing the three largest cities is completly disingenuos.
Also how are earth could anyone talk about livability and not include the cost of living? When you pay triple for your mortgage than your average Montrealer and you have the lowest rate of home ownership in the country?
If you ask Vancouverites don't like about their city I bet the cost of living would be at the top of the list.
To me the cost of living, while high, is really not that bad when you factor out home ownership. Rent is reasonable and I don't find it much the same as the UK, other than beer, wine and cheese for some reason?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 8:07 PM

Wow, this thread is like the resurrection of Christ.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 2:22 AM

Delboy.............
I agree. Vancouver rents, while high, are not that bad considering the size of the city. The problem is that nobody wants to pay rent for the rest of their lives whether its in Van, Tor, Paris, or Mumbai.
EVERYONE pays a mortgage whether your own or someone elses.
To negate real estate prices is similar to saying that evryone wants to live in Chicage but you aren't allowed to take the crime rate into account.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 2:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Delboy.............
I agree. Vancouver rents, while high, are not that bad considering the size of the city. The problem is that nobody wants to pay rent for the rest of their lives whether its in Van, Tor, Paris, or Mumbai.
EVERYONE pays a mortgage whether your own or someone elses.
To negate real estate prices is similar to saying that evryone wants to live in Chicage but you aren't allowed to take the crime rate into account.
true, but I don't agree that everyone wants to own, and given poor fundamentals, its probably better to rent. It's arguable, if buying now at the pinnacle of this market, that renting is better long term, assuming other investments are made. But i guess that's a whole other thread.

There are many european countries, such as germany, that have very high levels of renters as opposed to owners. Point I was making that real estate costs are not the only way to define cost of living and yes I agree that it may be one of a number of factors that people will use to decide if they would like to move here. In fact, it's something that I often contemplate when i wonder if I will be here long term.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 3:00 AM

I'm originally from Vancouver, and I still love it, even though I think planning mistakes have been made. (But where HAVEN'T they been made)??

However, for Vancouver to remain vital and viable, I think that it needs to focus on diversifying its economy all the more. We've come a long way since we were just a seaport and mill town (essentially) 40 or 50 years ago, but I'd like to see the city become a centre for the pharmaceutical industry (now a real possibility with the UBC school of pharmacology), and be less dependent on film, tourism, and real estate.

As to what the economy will diversify into, and how it will diversify remains to be seen, but in doing so, Vancouver might be able to escape from the boom - bust -boom - bust fluctuations in unemployment that strike with each economic fluctuation.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 1:06 AM
BANNED

Vancouver is not the place for an infrastructure junkie like myself

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 6:04 AM
Dérive-r

^What do you mean? Over the last few years and into the present Vancouver has and still is undergoing an infrastructure boom like no other city in Canada (and likely all of North America). Several new bridges, a new transit line (with another one possibly soon to start), brand new buses & SkyTrain cars, ferry fleet expansion, highway upgrades, port expansion, airport expansion, water treatment, green energy generation, major residential/commercial/institutional developments (Olympic Village, Convention Centre, BC Place, etc.) and so on...

It's an infrastructure junkie's paradise.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 6:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
^What do you mean? Over the last few years and into the present Vancouver has and still is undergoing an infrastructure boom like no other city in Canada (and likely all of North America). Several new bridges, a new transit line (with another one possibly soon to start), brand new buses & SkyTrain cars, ferry fleet expansion, highway upgrades, port expansion, airport expansion, water treatment, green energy generation, major residential/commercial/institutional developments (Olympic Village, Convention Centre, BC Place, etc.) and so on...

It's an infrastructure junkie's paradise.
The new skytrain line is nice and I'm loving the new bridges, but the fact is we're having a boom because we're playing catch up outside of Vancouver proper. Going to other major cities like Chicago or Seattle their infrastructure is made to a much higher standard. They spare no expenses when it comes to infrastructure. Then I come back to the lowermainland and see vacant lots, crappy roads, and a serious lack of sidewalks. And all the residential development going on is not infrastructure.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2010, 9:20 AM

20 years ago we were tiny we have grown fast in the last two decades - there was no need for the infastructure up until then/now

people who worked in vancouver lived in vancouver - in the 80's the thought of living in surrey and working in vancouver was absurd - people thought my sister was crazy when she moved to poco in 1989 and worked in vancouver

now its a common commute

prior to that my friends grandma lived in new west pretty much her whole life and to her vancouver was as exotic and faraway as seattle and the thought of going into vancouver was like a day long exurcsion

basically people stayed in their area and thought of other cities in the region just as that other cities you never go to unless you need to

Old Posted Jun 5, 2010, 4:50 PM

There was a story in the paper a few years ago about a family from Chilliwack that came to Vancouver for one of the first fireworks shows, staying at the Sylvia for the weekend in a room with a view of the water, the fireworks, the beach, Kits and UBC in the distance ... it was sooooooo exotic (compared to Chilliwack), they've been doing it almost every summer since then.

Its the Summer Vacation Week that they (especially the Grand Kids now) look forward to all year. The Sylvia is their 'summer cottage' for 10 days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion