HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 4:02 AM

First Nations propose changing Stanley Park's name to Xwayxway

How about, no?

By Suzanne Fournier, The Province July 1, 2010

Vancouver's world-famous Stanley Park will be renamed Xwayxway, if native leaders get their wish.

Xwayxway, pronounced kwhykway, was the name of the large permanent native village that existed at what is now Lumberman's Arch.

"To restore the name to Xwayxway would be deeply meaningful -- we'd have to consult our elders and council, but I think it's high time that was done," said Squamish Chief Ian Campbell, whose Skwxwu7mesh (Squamish) name is Xalek/Sekyu Siyam.

The suggestion came Wednesday during an emotional opening of the Klahowya Village and Spirit Catcher Train in the park.

The village, which will employ 40 members of the Musqueam, Sechelt and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations, is open from today until Sept. 6.

Squamish elder Emily Baker, 95, and Sechelt elder Theresa Jeffries said the park should revert to the First Nations name it carried for thousands of years instead of that of Lord Stanley, whose name the park has had for 122 years.

"Why do they call it Stanley Park, by a white man's name, when our ancestors lived here for 10,000 years?" demanded Jeffries.

Jefferies pointed out that Queen Charlotte Islands recently reverted to its original native name.

"It's always been Haida Gwaii and now the government finally took back their Queen Charlotte Islands name."

Baker agreed: "Where that nine o'clock gun is, that is where my grandfather was buried. We had a village at Lumberman's Arch, we lived all through here and the name should reflect our people."

Tourism Minister Kevin Krueger enthusiastically endorsed the idea.

"I would happily carry forth a proposal to change the name of the park, to choose a First Nations name," said Krueger, one of the guests at the opening ceremony.

"We have the Salish Sea, we have Haida Gwaii and I look forward to talking to you about what your people called this place."

Wade Grant, a Musqueam councillor who helped run the Four Host First Nations pavilion during the Olympics, said the park is "a perfect place for the Klahowya Village."

"For thousands of years, the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh all lived in this area.

"For far too long, this place has been void of drums. Now the trees, our ancestors, will remember. They'll hear those drums and welcome us back."

Vancouver Coun. Ellen Woodsworth, representing Mayor Gregor Robertson, also thought the name change is "an excellent suggestion."

"An aboriginal name would honour the land's history," she said, noting native homes were destroyed or barged out of the park over time.

Woodsworth said that, when the three First Nations officially put forward the name proposal, "we'll enthusiastically follow up and also consult with the public."

Stanley Park, a 404.9-hectare urban park, opened in 1888 in the name of Lord Stanley of Preston, the governor-general of Canada. It attracts about eight million visitors every year.

sfournier@theprovince.com
© Copyright (c) The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/First+Nat...#ixzz0sUhwbaru

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 4:03 AM
Hello World

Oh my... get ready to call the park Xwayxway in 2011.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 4:06 AM

They can call it whatever they want. Maybe we can rename Vancouver, too. Surely it's oppressive.

Quote:
Vancouver Coun. Ellen Woodsworth, representing Mayor Gregor Robertson, also thought the name change is "an excellent suggestion."
This council needs to go back to the moon, and soon.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 4:17 AM
Perpetual I.A.

I wonder if this renaming of the park would give them a toe hold in reclaiming the land? It could appear to be a step towards legitimizing ownership.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 4:21 AM

We might as well start renaming all our cities, provinces, and eventually our nation.

While the First Nations shouldn't ever forget what happened to them, they need to move on...if they ever wish climb out of the hole they have been in for centuries.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 4:45 AM

Well, luckily Vancouver is so filled with minorities from OTHER Countries so few of these evil white people with ties to the area from hundreds of years ago even exist. Anyways, renaming Stanley Park is one of the stupidest ideas, and could very well be disastrous for tourism... particularly if you give it a name that can't possibly be pronounced

And btw, Canada is already technically named after the natives. So they beat you to that, Mr. X

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 4:51 AM

Wow, why all the bitterness, SSP'ers? Is re-naming the park really so offensive? Given the park's international renown, I think it's a positive thing.

Most people on this forum are too young to remember that Canada's indigenous peoples couldn't even vote until a half-century ago, and most are unaware of the extent to which the legacy of this very recent disenfranchisement is (not surprisingly) still a serious one. This, in spite of the importance of the European-aboriginal relationship to the making of the city as we know it today.

As far as re-naming our towns and cities, there are already a lot of North American city names with aboriginal origins - ex. Toronto, Chicago. BC as a whole is also touting its first nations heritage much more than many of these other locations. Compared to, say, New Zealand, moreover, the number of BC names reflecting this heritage is abysmal.

Finally, this is a park name, not a city name - though, while I'm of Anglo-Dutch descent myself, I have no particular allegiance to the existing city name. Indeed, I think one reflecting more than a mere two or so centuries of recent history would be more fitting.

Send me to the moon if you like, Yume-sama.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 4:53 AM

We are touting the first nations image in BC because it sells to tourists who can find mounties and maple syrup out East.

Not because it is particularly relevant. Probably about as relevant as the Calgary Stampede and Western heritage is to life in Calgary. Maybe less.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 5:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
What a silly comment. Note that "Tourism Minister Kevin Krueger enthusiastically endorsed the idea."

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
What a silly comment. Note that "Tourism Minister Kevin Krueger enthusiastically endorsed the idea."
Add him to the list of people we're blasting off then. Any others? Seriously, this whole first nations business is getting old...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 5:21 AM

Changing world-renowned Stanley Park's name to Xwayxway??! Huh? What's dat? Might as well change New York's Central Park to Seinfeld Park or the Eiffel Tower to Pompidou Tower or the Brandenburg Gate to Schnitzler Gate or...

I do have a reasonable suggestion, however. Under all of the Stanley Park signage why not add: "Salish Name - Xwayxway". As a history buff, I would certainly appreciate that information and the Salish People's would also be recognized. Now there's a reasonable ground for compromise.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 5:38 AM

By that argument, Vancouver's name should be changed as well. After all, the Musqueam used to live in other parts of what is now Vancouver for thousands of years, and the city was only named after a stodgy British explorer less than a couple of hundred years ago... Heck, why not change the name of British Columbia as well to better reflect our First Nations history?

Stingray's suggestion is an eminently good one. I understand the historic grievances of the First Nations, and it IS a rather shameful part of Canadian history. But really, changing the name of one of the city's icons to something that on the surface seems unpronounceable...?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 5:42 AM

I may change my own name to "Go F*** Yourself" in protest of this. I can't believe all of the politicians supporting this. Either they know it will never happen, or they are crazy.

My first response was to laugh.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 5:46 AM

What an incredibly stupid idea.

Needless to say I was unsurprised to see Mayor Moonbeam enthusiastically embracing the idea on TV. Is there any left wing bandwagon that airhead won't jump on?

Krueger must have lost his marbles and forgotten who his voter base is, but he's probably toast in the anti-HST wave anyway.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post

By Suzanne Fournier, The Province July 1, 2010

Vancouver's world-famous Stanley Park will be renamed Xwayxway, if native leaders get their wish.

my first reaction: WhyWhy?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
my first reaction: WhyWhy?
don't you mean 'Xwhyxwhy' (pronounced 'kwhykwhy')

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 6:12 AM

It is also a complete fabrication of history to say the park in its entirety was ever named Xwayxway. Xwayxway was the name of a small village where Lumberman's Arch is now, it was never the name of the entire park area. There were other villages in the park as well; St'i'tekekw was a village at Second Beach, and Sch'lhus was at Prospect Point. I see no reason why signs could not be erected in these areas, showing the historical names. It would give tourists more native things to fawn over. There comes to a point where we should not let OUR history be glossed over because of something that happened generations ago. I am doubtful the happy agreement by the government is anything more than trying to appear PC, and not "anti-native culture". However, they should probably actually look in to real history.

It is, and always WILL be, Stanley Park. And I encourage people to read why

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 6:15 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

This seems amazingly pointless, but hey, atleast there's no 7 in the middle of the word.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
They can call it whatever they want. Maybe we can rename Vancouver, too. Surely it's oppressive.

I suggest we honour Councillor Woodsworth with a First Nations name. How about "Raving Loon"?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 6:25 AM

The Politically Correct Movement

This motion, to change the Park's name, is all part of the Politically Correct
Movement. We (the more recent arrivals) are supposed to feel a terrible guilt for having taken over Canada, and are supposed to honour the First Nations by erasing our cultural prescence, and re-instating theirs.

I honour and repect the Fist Nations cultural presence, and admit that the European settlers treated them badly, particularly in the issue of Residential Schools.

However, this suggestion is totally inappropriate. If it were not for Lord Stanley himself, who envisioned the Park, the whole area would be nothing more than just more city.

Stanley Park is an historic treasure, and its name should remain.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion