HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Here and Now had a piece on Tiffany Village and Tom Hann said their staff have told them there's no issue with traffic concerns with the new height.
here's the video.. they've confused me

it's at 47:17ish

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada...ID/2341399890/

They talked about the heights in meters and confederation being 64m and that southcott hall has the highest floor count of 15 floors but this will be more in both height and floors. (maybe we're missing something)

However he also said that they will be for senior .. not true .. may have been the original plan but you can see in the website it's clearly not limited to seniors :S

http://www.tiffanycondos.com/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 2:22 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I still think it's just for seniors...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I still think it's just for seniors...
but the site shows a lot of young people and it says:

Quote:
About Tiffany Condominiums
Luxury urban living

Discover condo living at its finest. Tiffany Condominiums will offer luxurious, retreat style living in the heart of St. John's. This state -of- the -art condo will be the crowning jewel of the upcoming "Tiffany Estates" community.

Well suited for all lifestyles, this urban experience offers comfort and sophistication.
http://www.tiffanycondos.com/

edit: I sent them an E-mail so hopefully they'll get back soon

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 2:29 PM

The LUARsays they're are for independent and assisted living. There would be a much bigger issue if they were trying to rezone the area so that they were just regular condos.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 3:19 PM

Quote:
The LUARsays they're are for independent and assisted living. There would be a much bigger issue if they were trying to rezone the area so that they were just regular condos.
PoscStudent, you're not bringing me down on this one..... I still think this development with be a stepping stone to push forward a much needed new precedent regarding height and density in the city.

To me it sounds like the condos will have a mix; some units tailored to assisted living while others just regular units for people of any age to purchase. I guess Jeddy's email will confirm these questions.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedSpecial View Post
The height/skyline issue is a red herring. People only use it as their excuse to try and prevent buildings that represent change. Everybody knows that everything is always supposed to stay the same forever...
Agreed. Here's a typical example of that from today's CBC poll -
From christine1954
This is preposterous. 16 stories!! For condos? Come on. There are tons of these huge eyesores of buildings being built now. Surely we don't need to ruin our skyline with 16 stories as well. Let them keep it to ten stories. How stupid will 16 story condos look on Tiffany Lane anyways. Why is it that council has problems with anything happening downtown but go outside of downtown and they never "identify problems with it."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Wow, according to the agenda for the next Council meeting, there's an objection petition and lots of attached memos. This isn't a done deal by any means.
Objections based on height (aircraft will crash into them !), not enough water pressure, and too much traffic.

Last edited by rthomasd; Mar 8, 2013 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 6:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yikes... what is wrong with people? How does this legitimately even pose the slightest inconvenience to neighbours?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
Wow, according to the agenda for the next Council meeting, there's an objection petition and lots of attached memos. This isn't a done deal by any means.
Objections based on height (aircraft will crash into them !), not enough water pressure, and too much traffic.
It's definitely not a done deal - but there are just as many letters of support as there are letters of objection. I've received emails from a few councillors, all said they support this development. Like I mentioned in Tiffany condos thread, there will always be opposition to change here - especially since this is such a major change. St. John's is starting to grow up (both literally and figuratively) and I think council are starting to realize the importance of this.

I keep thinking back to the Marriott extension proposal that was tabled before Christmas. There was a lot of opposition but it ended up getting approved because council realized the need for more hotel space in the city.

It'll be very interesting to see come Monday night.

Last edited by statbass; Mar 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
It's definitely not a done deal - but there are just as many letters of approval as there are letters of objection. I've received emails from a few councillors, all said they support this development. Like I mentioned in Tiffany condos thread, there will always be opposition to change here - especially since this is such a major change. St. John's is starting to grow up (both literally and figuratively) and I think council are starting to realize the importance of this.

I keep thinking back to the Marriott extension proposal that was tabled before Christmas. There was a lot of opposition but it ended up getting approved because council realized the need for more hotel space in the city.

It'll be very interesting to see come Monday night.
I would say it will get approved. Most councillors and and anyone with a head on their shoulders realize that this is a great project and should most definitely be approved.

So is this going to a vote on Monday??

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
I would say it will get approved. Most councillors and and anyone with a head on their shoulders realize that this is a great project and should most definitely be approved.

So is this going to a vote on Monday??
The vote on Monday will decide if the maximum building heights will be allowed to change from its current 10 stories to the proposed 16 stories.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:21 PM

We really should be making sure that we all send letters in supporting these projects, I never got around to doing one.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:27 PM

I think the traffic congestion complaint is entirely moot. Council already approved 453 units (5-10 story buildings and 30 row houses) for that location back in 2007. So if the old proposal were to go ahead there'd still be the 'issue' of traffic flow and congestion. Plus I'm pretty sure a traffic-flow analysis was completed for the older proposal, council definitely wouldn't have approved it otherwise.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 8:05 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

I have sent my letter of support, and like PoScStudent says, I think everyone needs to do the same on this one.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 8:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Mine is already in (same as the one I sent the Telegram). Let's get them in, everyone.

We're not the only people in the city who support this project - in fact, it's very likely we're in the majority... but we could very well be the ONLY ones on our side motivated enough to say so. So every single letter helps!

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 12:40 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Public hearing from the paper today.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 12:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'll be there.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 1:13 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This is going to be one hell of a showdown. The project is gorgeous - I have no reservations about the design, as I did with the Hilton. But the opposition is already organized - they've even had articles in The Telegram.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 1:23 PM

Yay the project isn't dead!!

Can't find info on the city's website.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 3:49 PM

What are you guys talking about here? I am at work and the images are blocked.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's