HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 4:50 PM

Mueller Town Center Survey!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 5:09 PM
Bears of antiquity

"Living in Urban apartments or condos"

They're kidding, right?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 6:57 PM

No, they're not kidding. Muellerites think their development is new urbanist even though the first thing built was the "regional retail" (strip mall), the second thing built is tract housing (they hate the word but it's absolutely accurate), there's hardly any VMU in the plan, there's a very strict separation of uses even horizontally (apartments off to the side, houses off to the other side); they're very poorly connected to the old neighborhoods on the other sides; etc.

I'm real popular with them in my attempts to prevent them from ruining the brand of urbanism, let me tell you.

I give the Town Center a 50/50 chance of ever happening. The problem with these "phase-in" approaches is that conditions can change - what if the homebuilders go bankrupt? (Seemed beyond the realm of reason just a couple of years ago, remember).

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
No, they're not kidding. Muellerites think their development is new urbanist even though the first thing built was the "regional retail" (strip mall), the second thing built is tract housing (they hate the word but it's absolutely accurate), there's hardly any VMU in the plan, there's a very strict separation of uses even horizontally (apartments off to the side, houses off to the other side); they're very poorly connected to the old neighborhoods on the other sides; etc.

I'm real popular with them in my attempts to prevent them from ruining the brand of urbanism, let me tell you.

I give the Town Center a 50/50 chance of ever happening. The problem with these "phase-in" approaches is that conditions can change - what if the homebuilders go bankrupt? (Seemed beyond the realm of reason just a couple of years ago, remember).
I think you should plan your own community and build it out. I'll ask again is there anything the city has done that you actually approve of? I've only ever seen you complain about things and how they all suck, they all are stupid, and how all of us are dead wrong on just about everything.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 8:44 PM

I think the center should have

Dry Cleaners,
Places to sit
Water fountains
dog park
free parking

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 10:37 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:

Oh god, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this sort of offal, M1EK.

What's the parking-to-res-unit ratio? That's gotta be pretty low, right?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsjv View Post
I think you should plan your own community and build it out. I'll ask again is there anything the city has done that you actually approve of? I've only ever seen you complain about things and how they all suck, they all are stupid, and how all of us are dead wrong on just about everything.
1. Pushing the CAMPO TWG rail plan over Cap Metro's head.

2. 2nd Street.

3. Giving incentives to get The Domain built.

4. The Triangle.

There's more. But frankly, your mind is already made up; you're like the Republicans with their narrative about Palin - no amount of actual facts can change the story.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 3:13 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Last edited by sakyle04; Sep 19, 2008 at 3:16 PM. Reason: working on political self-control...and sharing the audacity of hope. ;)

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 4:55 PM

Quote:

2. 2nd Street.

4. The Triangle.

There's more. But frankly, your mind is already made up; you're like the Republicans with their narrative about Palin - no amount of actual facts can change the story.
Good to know there's something you like! Guess you are against Prop 2?

And I would advise you not assuming things about me. It really makes you look stupid.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 6:02 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:

2. 2nd Street.

4. The Triangle.

You like the Domain?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 8:24 PM

The Domain took over a brownfield that wasn't doing anybody any favors, and captured some sales tax revenues that otherwise would have gone to Round Rock (La Frontera) or Bee Cave (Hill Country Galleria) - and it's a nice demonstration project to give suburbanites a taste of urbanism. A baby step.

It's way oversold as a "second downtown" - it will NEVER be that, because just like with our first downtown, the rail line doesn't and can never go into the heart so people can walk around once they get off the train. But still, it's better than suburban crap, and saves some money for us to pay Cap Metro's bills (1% sales tax).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 9:48 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsjv View Post
While I agree somewhat that Mueller is probably not going to be built to true new urbanist standards and might get cheapened out as the build-out continues, you're spot on about M1EK. His completely unpleasant, deprecating attitude is not only annoying, but it's based on a standard that frankly doesn't exist in the southern United States.

When it comes to Austin, I never forget that it's still in Texas, and therefore not going to look like Dusseldorf.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 10:06 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
While I agree somewhat that Mueller is probably not going to be built to true new urbanist standards and might get cheapened out as the build-out continues, you're spot on about M1EK. His completely unpleasant, deprecating attitude is not only annoying, but it's based on a standard that frankly doesn't exist in the southern United States.

When it comes to Austin, I never forget that it's still in Texas, and therefore not going to look like Dusseldorf.
But he's an expert on everything!

He can tell you that Muni Metro is a failure for running in mixed traffic, the Portland Streetcar brought no investment, the Seattle Streetcar's ridership is below projections, the Sounder stops in the middle of downtown Seattle and you never need to transfer when riding LR in Portland.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 11:21 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post

He can tell you that Muni Metro is a failure for running in mixed traffic, the Portland Streetcar brought no investment, the Seattle Streetcar's ridership is below projections, the Sounder stops in the middle of downtown Seattle and you never need to transfer when riding LR in Portland.
In the middle of downtown Seattle 1923, yeah! He is correct, though, people will only walk half a mile to work, which does put 75% of Seattle's CBD within pumps and tennies territory.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 11:59 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
In the middle of downtown Seattle 1923, yeah! He is correct, though, people will only walk half a mile to work, which does put 75% of Seattle's CBD within pumps and tennies territory.
Not really, 3rd and Seneca are about 3/4 of a mile away and that's the closest you can get to the biggest bulk of jobs.

Columbia Center is half a mile away as the crow flies, but again, that's uphill and through Urine Junction.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 1:40 PM

Quote:
The Domain took over a brownfield that wasn't doing anybody any favors, and captured some sales tax revenues that otherwise would have gone to Round Rock (La Frontera) or Bee Cave (Hill Country Galleria) - and it's a nice demonstration project to give suburbanites a taste of urbanism. A baby step.

It's way oversold as a "second downtown" - it will NEVER be that, because just like with our first downtown, the rail line doesn't and can never go into the heart so people can walk around once they get off the train. But still, it's better than suburban crap, and saves some money for us to pay Cap Metro's bills (1% sales tax).
I totally agree with you. Step in the right direction, albeit a small step. It's a shame that they didn't think about having rail stopping in the middle of it. Maybe as they build it out? Who knows. I've been very disappointed that the rail completely misses the Arboretum and the Domain but goes out to Elgin? I mean really wth?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Thanks, Pot!

Sincerely,
Kettle

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 3:42 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Thanks, Pot!

Sincerely,
Kettle
I know the difference between experience and opinion

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin