HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 7:06 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Holy cow! Is the glass really THAT reflective? Swoon!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 9:11 PM

And I wasn't using a polarizer, either. It was so reflective, my autofocus was focusing on the buildings reflected in the glass rather than the glass itself.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 12:30 AM
momentum

Is that a sunshade at the spandrel or habitat opportunity by design?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 4:08 AM

Walked by it tonight, the glass is VERY green. I hope it is tied together better with whatever plants they hang from there.

I was shocked at how vibrant green it was, didn't like it at all, maybe it will grow on me when they finish it up.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 7:13 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

It's such a massive change that I won't be surprised if many of us dislike it - at least, at first, especially since we're getting a view of a building that's going to evolve until the greenery (?) really takes hold. I wonder how long that will take? A few years after completion? We know what this section of downtown looks like, and what it feels like. I always thought there was an understated elegance to the buildings along this section of Third - this building included (though I know most here probably hated it). I used to live in the Essex House, between this building and the KOIN. I love the area.

I'm really excited to see this completed, but I know it's going to take a long time before I'll be at all used to it. This will be a massive change.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 1:10 AM

They've started the exterior...what? What is it called?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 1:54 AM
momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
It's such a massive change that I won't be surprised if many of us dislike it - at least, at first, especially since we're getting a view of a building that's going to evolve until the greenery (?) really takes hold. I wonder how long that will take? A few years after completion? We know what this section of downtown looks like, and what it feels like. I always thought there was an understated elegance to the buildings along this section of Third - this building included (though I know most here probably hated it). I used to live in the Essex House, between this building and the KOIN. I love the area.

I'm really excited to see this completed, but I know it's going to take a long time before I'll be at all used to it. This will be a massive change.
I don't think there is any greenery at least the way it was first envisioned. Like bamboo stalks instead.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 4:33 AM

Right now it looks busy so I'm interested to see how it turns out in person. One of my friends from PDX called me last week and said it looks really cool so maybe it's different in person.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 7:07 AM
PearlHelp.com

This week, crews started installing the iconic steel “reeds” that will run up an entire face of the Edith Green-Wendell Wyatt Federal Building.

“It took a while to get going, but they’ve got the hang of it,” said SERA Architects senior project manager Jennifer L. Taylor said. “It will be quick now.”

The “reeds” will provide shading for the west face of the 18-story building, and reduce cooling costs, Taylor said.

The General Service Administration’s modernization of the building is well under way, and the reeds serve as a visible sign of progress – and the green features that will make the building one of the most energy efficient in the agency’s portfolio.

The project is being funded through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. That means that a project that would normally take about five to 10 years is being completed in 48 months, said GSA supervisory project executive Patrick Brunner. The fast pace has demanded a lot of organization and corners to be cut, but Brunner is confident that the team will finish the project by March 28, 2013.

View the full article here.........

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 12:26 AM

Update from October 1st, 2011: The color information did not export well from Lightroom. The glass in particular had much more saturation.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 1:43 AM

Some pics of the building, while I was out and about today...

http://photobucket.com/edith-green-w...deral-building

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 2:22 AM

Update from 10-22-2011:

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 1:54 AM

From lunchtime today, 11/7.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 4:10 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Boy, I don't know what to think.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 4:30 AM

This project is turning out far, far better than I imagined/was rendered. The west facade's rod pattern is beautiful and organic with the ultra-modern backdrop of the glass curtain wall behind it. The south side is also quite a bit more detailed than I thought. This building is definitely architecturally different than any other here in Portland (even though it uses pretty much the same materials as most other current projects, and is in all respects still just a glass and steel box).

Hard to believe it has the same bones as the almost brutalist, international style predecessor.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 6:31 AM

Though I thought the leafy green looked ridiculously bad in the renderings (not to mention the maintenance problems down the line) I think I'd prefer it to the faux organicism of these "reeds" that they didn't even bother to pattern or design in a meaningful/interesting way... looks like prison bars.

Also, the apparently massive armature for holding those rods on must be kind of ghastly from inside. Hard to beleve it needed to be so large to hold a bunch of aluminum...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 4:29 PM
PearlHelp.com

It sorta reminds me of the Nytimes building in NYC - even though the metal is horizontal and not vertical.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 5:00 PM

I'm very much looking forward to the completion of all four facades, but the "faux organicism" is turning out very nice. I appreciate how the rods are placed in a random-ish way with doubled up sections to give the 'wall' a wavy, textured pattern.

Quote:
Also, the apparently massive armature for holding those rods on must be kind of ghastly from inside.
...even though they are in between floor plates, I don't buy that. Then again I like the rod design and the living wall concept.

Quote:
It sorta reminds me of the Nytimes building in NYC
Very true!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 5:38 PM
Semi-Lurker

I've been walking by about once a week to check out the progress of this building.

I must say, I like it.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 3:03 AM

Update from Nov 13th, 2011, as Occupy Portland protests directly below and out of frame:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland