HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 5:06 AM

Agreed!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I do think our max height limit is arbitrary and mistaken, but I also don't think taller buildings make us world class or in a shadow of other West Coast cities. The tiny pubs on the corner fronting a park, the best food truck scene in the country, the airport that punches above their weight, and the friendly Oregonians that want to show you the must sees (even if they don't know you), makes us world class.
THIS 100%. As a lifelong resident I have no need for a skyline to impress anyone. It's just so... pointless. Give me walkability and street character any day of the week.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
THIS 100%. As a lifelong resident I have no need for a skyline to impress anyone. It's just so... pointless. Give me walkability and street character any day of the week.
Tall does not preclude street presence and services. I like walking through tower canyons with retail to access at street-level.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 8:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
The chances of a corporate hq in the city center is nil these days, and height restrictions pretty much guarantee we're not gonna look like Seattle or SF anytime soon. I know this discussion has occurred many times here, but I think the small blocks, shorter towers and extra daylight has always created a more inviting and human scaled city. Only cities like NY and Chicago really have enough density, historic architecture and pedestrian activity to pull off super talls and not end up with lifeless, long canyons with nothing else. I don't find South Waterfront, for example, to be inviting, it seems dark and sterile. (If they'd activated the waterfront with something besides a path I suppose wouldn't care as much about the neighborhood vibe, but if you wanna get a bite to eat don't actually expect a water view... in a place named "waterfront" ). Ok rant over.

How does Vancouver BC do it? I love their city center and tall towers

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 9:07 PM

Great point. Vancouver B.C. has much more density, and a higher height ceiling for towers. I really love the Southwest Waterfront District. Just wish i could afford to live there. I'm 59, but would love to see the SW District fully connected to downtown. I'm also hopeful for the Albina Vision/ Moda Center development, and OMSI. And maybe an ,at least 400 + foot, tower to anchor the Post Office Development as well. We all want to see this glorious city prosper, and pull out of these darker times. Most of all, we need to keep being US. Just say no to mean. And keep the vision to be greater, and better , alive.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
Great point. Vancouver B.C. has much more density, and a higher height ceiling for towers. I really love the Southwest Waterfront District. Just wish i could afford to live there. I'm 59, but would love to see the SW District fully connected to downtown. I'm also hopeful for the Albina Vision/ Moda Center development, and OMSI. And maybe an ,at least 400 + foot, tower to anchor the Post Office Development as well. We all want to see this glorious city prosper, and pull out of these darker times. Most of all, we need to keep being US. Just say no to mean. And keep the vision to be greater, and better , alive.
I have great optimism for the future of our city as a progressive haven with a beautiful tall central skyline.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 6:06 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
The chances of a corporate hq in the city center is nil these days, and height restrictions pretty much guarantee we're not gonna look like Seattle or SF anytime soon. I know this discussion has occurred many times here, but I think the small blocks, shorter towers and extra daylight has always created a more inviting and human scaled city. Only cities like NY and Chicago really have enough density, historic architecture and pedestrian activity to pull off super talls and not end up with lifeless, long canyons with nothing else. I don't find South Waterfront, for example, to be inviting, it seems dark and sterile. (If they'd activated the waterfront with something besides a path I suppose wouldn't care as much about the neighborhood vibe, but if you wanna get a bite to eat don't actually expect a water view... in a place named "waterfront" ). Ok rant over.
I was driving home headed down Interstate Ave towards downtown, and the Ritz from that view looks gorgeous. I think that building height is perfect for Portland. I would love seeing more buildings going up that size.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues