BANNED

Houston Planning the 'Ike Dike' Defense

Quote:
U.S. NEWS
JUNE 4, 2009
Houston Planning the 'Ike Dike' Defense
Houston-Area Leaders Envision a 60-Mile Barrier Against Hurricane Flooding
By BEN CASSELMAN

GALVESTON, Texas -- As the Gulf Coast braces for hurricane season, Houston-area leaders are pushing a plan to build a wall stretching some 60 miles along the coast, hoping to end the annual storm threat once and for all.

Dubbed the "Ike Dike" after the hurricane that ravaged the Houston area in September, the 17-foot-high wall would straddle the narrow entrance to Galveston Bay with 1,000-foot-long floodgates, allowing access to the city's port in good weather, but swinging shut when a storm approached to block floodwaters. Most damage from hurricanes is usually caused by floodwaters.

The total cost, according to project backers, would be $2 billion to $4 billion, although those numbers would almost certainly rise, experts say.

The idea is still in the conceptual stage and has plenty of detractors worried about cost, environmental impacts and whether it would really work. But the Ike Dike has gained significant traction in recent months.

A state commission set up by Texas Gov. Rick Perry to study disaster preparedness after Hurricane Ike supports moving ahead, and a coalition of elected officials is promoting it. The Houston business community, including powerful interests such as the chemical and shipping industries, has also signed on.

"This actually has more political legs than I ever dreamed it would have," said Bill King, a member of Gov. Perry's hurricane commission and the former mayor of the Galveston Bay city of Kemah.

Dike supporters argue that the project has implications far beyond Texas. The area is home to three of the country's 10 largest oil refineries, 40% of its chemical manufacturing capacity and the country's second largest seaport, handling some 600,000 tons of cargo a day.

"It's a national-security issue," said Bob Mitchell, president of the Bay Area Houston Economic Partnership, a local business group.

Supporters hope that emphasizing the national importance of the project will help win federal funding. Robert Eckels, the chairman of the governor's commission, said most of the money would likely come from the Army Corps of Engineers, which would have to approve the project.

Supporters also are looking at building the dike along existing seaside roads, rather than directly on the coast, which might allow them to tap federal highway dollars. Even if funding is secured, Mr. Eckels said it would be more than a decade before the dike is completed.

Bill Merrell, the Texas A&M University at Galveston professor who first proposed the Ike Dike, said he based the structure on existing designs, including swinging floodgates built in Rotterdam, Netherlands, in the 1990s. London has had closeable floodgates on the Thames since 1982, and the Russian city of St. Petersburg is nearing completion of its own massive gates.

The Maeslant Barrier near Rotterdam, Netherlands, is among the structures that inspired the Houston-area coastal-wall concept, said Bill Merrell, the Texas A&M professor who first proposed the project.

"All the technology's proven. We're not asking for a miracle," Mr. Merrell said.

Dike supporters find inspiration in past disasters. After an unnamed 1900 hurricane nearly wiped Galveston off the map, island residents built a 15-plus-foot seawall along the island's east end, then raised the island itself by as much as 17 feet, jacking up more than 2,000 buildings and filling in underneath them with sand.

Compared with that project, Mr. Merrell said, the Ike Dike looks trivial -- at least from an engineering standpoint. But the perception that the project is too difficult could be hard to overcome. Mr. King, the former Kemah mayor, said he initially thought the idea was too far-fetched. But he said the simplicity of Mr. Merrell's plan, combined with the cost of leaving the coast unprotected, won him over.

"The elegance and the appeal of something like the Ike Dike is, with one swath, all the problems are solved," Mr. King said.

Skeptics already are lining up. Beachfront property owners worry the dike could block their ocean views. Some environmentalists fear the dike could disturb the fragile ecology of Galveston Bay. Communities at the end of the proposed dike worry they will get more flooding if the wall diverts water their way. And some worry the attention focused on the dike could hurt less-ambitious efforts.

"It's a distraction from more immediate, more affordable, more realistic things that could be done to make people safer quicker," said Mary Kelly, a vice president of the Environmental Defense Fund and a member of the governor's commission.

Gordon Wells, a University of Texas researcher who advises state officials on hurricane planning, warns the Ike Dike could actually make flooding worse in Galveston in certain scenarios, trapping water behind the wall.

Houston isn't the only coastal city looking for a quick fix to hurricane threats. Scientists and engineers recently met in New York City to discuss ways to protect it from hurricanes like the one that struck in September 1821, flooding all of Manhattan south of Canal Street. Among the proposals: a $6 billion, five-mile-long barrier between New Jersey and the Rockaway Peninsula in New York City's borough of Queens.

Write to Ben Casselman at ben.casselman@wsj.com
Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124407051124382899.html

Last edited by BTinSF; Jun 4, 2009 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 7:44 PM
disorient yourself?

Why the f**k not??

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 10:14 PM
~

someone losing their ocean view don't bother me but ecological concerns should be taking into consideration. Instead of a huge wall, there should be a multi-tiered approach that includes building new wetlands and other natural barriers to surging tides. It would benefit Houston greatly.

Last edited by Sulley; Jun 4, 2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: mistake

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 10:48 PM

Last edited by Saddle Man; Jul 25, 2009 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 11:04 PM
A before E

I foresee something like this doing more harm than good in the long run.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 11:16 PM
Trendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1 View Post
someone losing their ocean view don't bother me but ecological concerns should be taking into consideration. Instead of a huge wall, there should be a multi-tiered approach that includes building new wetlands and other natural barriers to surging tides. It would benefit Houston greatly.
Considering the environment? In Houston?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 11:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1 View Post
That is probably the right approach in New Orleans where the land between the city and the sea is wetlands and minimally developed, but in Houston the land is highly developed, starting with the city of Galveston on the barrier island. Then there are vast areas of industrial complexes (mostly energy related) and suburbs. I think we are past the stage where there is land available for a more ecologically friendly solution.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 2:19 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
Considering the environment? In Houston?
You're about 20 years off in your thinking and not very well informed. Do your homework and look at the trends in air and water quality in that area (especially in the last decade) due to federal, state, and local efforts. The improvements have been tremendous. The current mayor is a staunch environmentalist fighting to make things even better.

Back to the Ike Dike...it's funny how Gov Perry abhors the idea of federal funding until it's for one of his pet projects. That being said, it's one of the few things I've ever agreed with him on (the dike project).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 2:29 AM
reticulating splines

I grew up in Texas City, which has its own levee system. Ike came close to topping it, but didn't quite get there. The city stayed dry, although everything man-made on the Texas City Dike except the dike structure itself was wasted.

Any reason to think this would make storm surge more severe on either side of this floodgate (e.g. Freeport, Port Arthur)? With the refineries in those places it would seem to make sense to extend this thing all the way from Brazoria County to the Louisiana border.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 2:49 AM
Trendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Denson View Post
You're about 20 years off in your thinking and not very well informed. Do your homework and look at the trends in air and water quality in that area (especially in the last decade) due to federal, state, and local efforts. The improvements have been tremendous. The current mayor is a staunch environmentalist fighting to make things even better.
Houston is still the most polluted city I've ever lived in. I can't even imagine how it was 20 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 5:18 AM
disorient yourself?

Quote:
Houston is still the most polluted city I've ever lived in. I can't even imagine how it was 20 years ago.
It's all about the vibe. Gotta love that haze and debris vibe.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 5:29 AM

I understand that safety of people should come first, but this thing just seems like a bad idea. Some of the coastal preserves in this area are very precious... like the thick forest patch that is home to the Brazoria Palmetto (Houston's only native palm tree). This thing could wreak even MORE havoc on our ecosystem, and it would be a shame after all the clean-up that's been done in the last decade to toss it out like that.

And of course... they're only planning for 17 feet anyway. Ike was a Cat 2 with a 14 foot storm surge. What are trying to protect if a Cat 5 comes our way anyway?

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 6:01 AM
Earthling

If one checks out this : Handy-Dandy Flood Map (set to 6 Metres and thus higher than the 17 feet mentioned), you can see the comparative extent of flooding for Houston or New Orleans or anywhere else in the world...Just keep clicking the arrows to zero in on your neighborhood! It can be reset to as high as 14 metres(for big-ass storms or once the Greenland ice-sheet has melted).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Guess you haven't traveled around the east coast or LA area much. But then again, it depends if we are talking all pollution or just how hazy the sky looks.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 11:34 AM
Trendy.

Noticed I said "lived in" and not visited.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 11:59 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Dike supporters find inspiration in past disasters. After an unnamed 1900 hurricane nearly wiped Galveston off the map, island residents built a 15-plus-foot seawall along the island's east end, then raised the island itself by as much as 17 feet, jacking up more than 2,000 buildings and filling in underneath them with sand.
I found this piece of the article kind of striking given what Ike did to the city just a few months back. It's entirely the wrong city to prop up as a shining example man's harnessing of nature to bolster this idea of an "Ike Dike", no? Perhaps, it could have been used as an example before September of last year, but now?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Houston struck me as mostly dirty, not polluted... (dirty as in not clean).

The entire south feels more polluted than where I live. :/ I gave Houston a pass on that because it wasn't any better travelling to Lake Charles or the like. The whole region is... a little gross.

Although as a side note, being used to the Pacific Ocean up in the NW, I just about died of shock when I saw (and smelled) the Gulf of Mexico for the first time.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 2:45 PM

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure they can build 1,000 foot-long floodgates that can withstand a category 4 or 5 storm surge.

It's also my understanding that ship traffic heading to/from the port of Houston is highly congested. Narrowing any of the existing shipping lanes (already very narrow) to allow for smaller floodgates may be quite dangerous.

Anyway, it is definitely an interesting idea and if they manage to pull it off I'd have to come down and visit just for the sheer awesomeness of the accomplishment.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 2:50 PM

Let's rebuild the wetlands in southeast Louisiana too especially since fishing and oil exploration/pipelines killed off what used to protect New Orleans.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 8:12 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
The total cost, according to project backers, would be $2 billion to $4 billion
That's actually pretty shockingly affordable for a 60 mile project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions