HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 11:00 PM
Ex Houstonian

A trip to Eureka Springs, AR, You'll want to see this!!!!!!

Come with me on a journey to Eureka Springs. We'll make a few stops on the way, so lets go. Oh, and this was about 4 months ago, just never got around to posing em. And please read the subtitles, makes it more interesting.

The journey starts out in Russellville, AR in central Arkansas. To get to Eureka Springs it takes about 3 hours from where I go to school.

Heading across Lake Dardanelle from Russellville, in the distance is Mt. Nebo.

First stop on the trip, Ozark National Forest. 1.2 Million acres of forested land just north of where I live.

First small town we reach on the journey is Jasper. About 50 miles north of Russellville. Its located in the heart of the Ozark Mountains.

About 7 miles north of Jasper is the Buffalo River. A protected national wild and scenic river.

Dogpatch USA, a now abandoned theme park that was supposed to rival Disney World when it was first conceived. It closed about 8 years ago and now is just rotting.

The old bumper cart arena thingy.

Next stop, Harrison, the supposed headquarters of the KKK in Arkansas is located in this town. No joke.

Next stop, Alpena, a dying town full of rednecks.

Someones pet cow in their tiny little backyard. Remember this is Arkansas. This stuff is everywhere.

I think this town is Berryville, should have written it down. Last town on the way into Eureka Springs.

Welcome to Eureka Springs. Got there right when it was turning dark. These guys were awesome! They played some pretty mean bluegrass and they were totally wasted which made it even better.

Eureka Springs was founded in 1879 and within one year the population grew from 2 people to about 2000. It was thought to have medicinal water and thousands from around the country and world flocked there.

Now Eureka Springs is one of the biggest tourist attractions in the state and is one of the most liberal towns in Arkansas, if not the most. There is a large gay population there and its totally refreshing to find a place like this in a mostly backwards redneck state.

Woke up the next day and went for a walk around the town.

The Carnegie Library funded by Mr. Carnegie who was visited often.

The Crescent Hotel

This Catholic Church is the only church in the world where you enter it from the belltower on the street above.

The Flatiron Building, built 1985!

The railroad track that at one point brought thousands of people into the town.

The abandoned power station by the railroad station

Leaving Eureka Springs for Beavers

One of the only wooden suspension bridges in the world, located in Beavers Arkansas

Leaving Eureka Springs

Hope you enjoyed the tour, until next time....

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 11:44 PM

Nice pictures. Eureka Springs looks very nice. It reminds me a little bit of Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania. The Fall colors make the town look even better.

I don't think that I've ever heard of an abandoned amusement park before like that. You usually think of old mills, factories, bunkers, and asylums as places that are abandoned; amusement parks always are being used or the land is quickly redeveloped. It must've been cool to walk around in.

Alpena looks like a bizzare town. Those run down stone storefronts are very unique.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 3:17 AM

Yes!! Excellent Pictures.
Nice job capturing the town and the season. I have been waiting for this!! My mother lives just outside Eureka Springs in a development called Holiday Island. About ten minutes from ES. My parents retired to the area from KC in 1988. That bridge in Beaver - I have driven over it countless times. You have to check the other side of the lake to make sure you can cross.

Eureka Springs is weird little town. Old spa town that later was home to a famous radio evangelist and horrible anti semite who had a national radio show in the 1930's - Gerald L.K Smith. Then in the 1960's, hippies moved into the area. Then tourists started showing up in droves (Branson is about 1 hour north) and then thousands of retirees. The region that is NW Arkansas area is a patchwork of super backwoods and sophistication. Univ. of Ark. hour away. WalMart HQ hour away. Not sure now, but the unemployment was about 3.5% year ago.

Anyway - fall is a lovely time there. Warm during the day with an undernote of cool. The hills can be gorgeous.

Note - the Basin Park Hotel has a ground level entrance on 6 Floors.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 3:43 AM
Honored Member

Fascinating places and gorgeous photos!

I guess patchwork pretty well describes a lot of Arkansas. Some of the cussedest rednecks you ever saw, and not far away at the University, a leading cancer research center.

I've met some of the most backward and some of the most liberal-thinking people I've known, from Arkansas.

Your photographic skills completely kick butt!

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 3:52 AM
no its not...

artsy,fun and fabulous group of photos

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 4:40 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_1412 View Post
Fascinating places and gorgeous photos!

I guess patchwork pretty well describes a lot of Arkansas. Some of the cussedest rednecks you ever saw, and not far away at the University, a leading cancer research center.

I've met some of the most backward and some of the most liberal-thinking people I've known, from Arkansas.

Your photographic skills completely kick butt!
That describes just about every state in the country.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 4:44 AM
Closed account

I remember Eureka Springs (from about 30 years ago) as the most beautiful and fascinating place I've ever been in this country. The way the town is built into the hillsides is amazing. It's a place everyone should experience.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 4:50 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Wow! Great thread.

Beautiful town and very well captured all around.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 4:51 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Denson View Post
I remember Eureka Springs (from about 30 years ago) as the most beautiful and fascinating place I've ever been in this country. The way the town is built into the hillsides is amazing. It's a place everyone should experience.
Yes, its the most fascinating town Ive ever been to in America also. And Ive been a lot of places. Everyone that loves cities and architecture should visit it at least once in their lifetime. There is no town like it, its totally unique imo.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 12:59 PM
Westbank = Bestbank

Wow, talk about a place that time forgot. In most places that would be a detriment, but here it looks like the community has embraced retaining its history. Your photography and the fall backdrop are both great. I expected to be disappointed when I clicking on your thread, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 1:04 PM

Excellent photos and very entertaining tour

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 1:29 PM

Wow, I'd never even heard of this place! Very nice buildings in Eureka Springs, and everything seems meticulously preserved. Beautiful town, and the perfect time of year to take pics there.

Last edited by SouthJersey7; Feb 9, 2009 at 1:42 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 1:57 PM

Great Thread! I haven't been there since I was about five or six years old. All I can remember is riding a train. Looks like I need to return as an adult and spend some real time there.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 2:20 PM

Thanks litherland... what an amazing tour!!

I'll have to get up there the next time I go home (though I WON'T be stopping in Jasper or Harrison).

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 3:52 PM
Unpolitically Correct

Uh......wow!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 3:55 PM

wonderful tour - I'm jealous of such a tremendous road trip - breathtaking scenery, beautiful town and fantastic photos of it all!!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 6:04 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1z28chris View Post
Wow, talk about a place that time forgot. In most places that would be a detriment, but here it looks like the community has embraced retaining its history. Your photography and the fall backdrop are both great. I expected to be disappointed when I clicking on your thread, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Yes, most buildings there have been rehabbed and restored. The people that live there live there due to the towns unique architecture and heritage. They care very much about their houses and buildings. The entire town is on the National Register of Historic Places too, so that helps also.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 6:22 PM

What a beautiful little town. Your photos are fantastic. Definitely a place I need to visit. Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 12:55 AM
Ex Houstonian

^^^
Its almost like a tiny mini San Francisco lol

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 2:41 AM
on the south side

I remember staying and going through Eureka Springs many times growing up! I would love to go back for a visit. Is Onyx Cave still open?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos