HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 1:19 AM
Show me the blueprints

Yeah I hate it too.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 2:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Yea but with all the residential development in the city, you think they could at least wait for a strong enough market to just build the original tower, considering the foundation is already laid.

Would be far better than this monstrosity
This design is FAR more interesting than the original design. Also you had best get over the original design because it is never going to happen regardless of the fact that the foundations are "in place". That design was economically infeasible plain and simple which is why it didnt get built despite the fact that it was more than 70% sold when the economy tanked. No lender wanted to touch it because it wouldnt have been profitable until it was nearly 100% sold.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 3:23 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
This design is FAR more interesting than the original design. Also you had best get over the original design because it is never going to happen regardless of the fact that the foundations are "in place". That design was economically infeasible plain and simple which is why it didnt get built despite the fact that it was more than 70% sold when the economy tanked. No lender wanted to touch it because it wouldnt have been profitable until it was nearly 100% sold.
But if it was so economically unfeasable, why did they start building it in the first place?

Regardless, I just hope the current design is changed before any construction goes underway, I have to disagree and say the old design was not only taller, but much more attractive, but different strokes for different folks.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 3:32 AM
TL;DR

I guess I've decided I don't care how the base looks. For as long as this building is standing, it will bear an super-conspicuous record of its fits-and-starts construction. The cantilever area is pretty well-designed and pretty much severs all visual connection between the base and top.

The best thing to come out of the avant-garde movements in architecture is the (growing) understanding that a building doesn't have to be beautiful to enrich the city, and make no mistake, this thing is not beautiful. But it is super ballsy and exciting, and that alone can be enough. We all have this mental picture of what the Main Branch should look like, but Mies came along and shattered the Hugh Ferriss/1920s vision with IBM, and Goldberg came along and shattered the Miesian vision with Marina Tower. This, if built, will be just one more step in the evolution of the city's grandest public space.

I love that shiny, white pixelated surface at the cantilever, too. I say bring it on!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 3:58 AM

From that angle (which I had not seen before) I'm not sure I care for it much now. I really love the top, and I like the open space in between, but I dislike the base.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 4:09 AM

I would just j**z if they decided they would build this ... but I fear it might be kind of a conceptual working drawing where further adjustments, mainly just regarding appearance, might ultimately be made to reduce the seeming precariousness (in the public's eye) of the cantilever. In other words, enough renters might be spooked by the "tipsy" look that they might decide to widen the "neck" portion - kind of how one of the other 111 Wackers (i.e. 111 South Wacker) had the same thing dumbed down during the design process (admittedly that was due to terror fears in 2001, but at 111 West it will be harder to convince individual renters of safeness than it was to convince a small number of office-tenant representatives at 111 South).

Fortunately 111 East Wacker isn't involved here, avoiding further confusion, lol.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 4:57 PM
Content provider

It's dramatic enough for that spot, for sure

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 10:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
But if it was so economically unfeasable, why did they start building it in the first place?
Through the miracle of equity and a high interest mezzanine loan. From what i hear the lender recouped most of that loan because Tengs equity was wiped out.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 4:14 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:

Regardless, I just hope the current design is changed before any construction goes underway, I have to disagree and say the old design was not only taller, but much more attractive, but different strokes for different folks.

It was a huge gamble by a company (firm was, or is, really an engineering/architecture/and perhaps construction firm really - not even principally a developer/real estate investor/owner, as they just into development seemingly on the side) that was demonstrably inexperienced in such a large project (again, as a developer), and they lost big time. I believe this is probably the primary reason they couldn't land a full package of construction loans (despite anything else that was represented as the case at the time or in retrospect). This is a common theme as you're in market cycle peaks - and particularly market bubble peaks - as we were in the downtown condo market, in which not only to the development proposals get increasingly ambitious, but you get increasingly involvement from development players that are very much out of their element and of course project failure rates surge.

Very unusual for a high-rise in Chicago to begin true construction (even during the boom) without full financing secured. I'm sure there are probably a couple others in the last 8-10 years, but the only two that immediately jump to mind are, surprise, surprise - Waterview and the Spire. Very ambitious bubble-peak projects (granted one more so than the other) by development firms wildly out of their element in multiple, and different ways....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Mar 21, 2012 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 4:17 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I would just j**z if they decided they would build this ... but I fear it might be kind of a conceptual working drawing where further adjustments, mainly just regarding appearance, might ultimately be made to reduce the seeming precariousness (in the public's eye) of the cantilever. In other words, enough renters might be spooked by the "tipsy" look that they might decide to widen the "neck" portion - kind of how one of the other 111 Wackers (i.e. 111 South Wacker) had the same thing dumbed down during the design process (admittedly that was due to terror fears in 2001, but at 111 West it will be harder to convince individual renters of safeness than it was to convince a small number of office-tenant representatives at 111 South).

Fortunately 111 East Wacker isn't involved here, avoiding further confusion, lol.

Very much share you're concerns here......since these renderings we're released, this has been on my mind, and why I'm expecting substantial changes in the final design (which we'll hopefully see very soon).....I've also been thinking of the example of 111 S. Wacker's development evolution. We'll see......but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if a massive transfer floor is the way they go (I'm not rooting for this, just that it would surprise me - pleasantly, mind you - if the design version we've seen actually turns out to be the final)...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 1:56 PM

3/22

There are people up on the top floor today walking around taking photographs of existing conditions (they seem really focused on the core) and taking notes.

Maybe further sign of movement?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 2:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Very much share you're concerns here......since these renderings we're released, this has been on my mind, and why I'm expecting substantial changes in the final design (which we'll hopefully see very soon).....I've also been thinking of the example of 111 S. Wacker's development evolution. We'll see......but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if a massive transfer floor is the way they go (I'm not rooting for this, just that it would surprise me - pleasantly, mind you - if the design version we've seen actually turns out to be the final)...
I'm not making any promises, but as I've said several times, I have a good source who has been suggesting the cantilever MUST be a part of the design since before the renderings were released. The design could still change and they could probably just mush the cantilever down into a transfer floor if they really wanted (but it wouldn't be any cheaper), but I have a feeling the most striking feature, the cantilever, is going to be a part of the final design regardless of what happens.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 2:59 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ even if the cantilever were an ABSOLUTE engineering necessity, i think sam's concern is that the developers might still drive a design that masks the cantilever with architectural falsework to allay potential tenants' fears that the building will snap in half because it looks intrinsically unstable to the untrained eye as it is currently designed.

sam's concern is not without precedent, as we all saw what happened to the stunning and daring original design for 111 south wacker prior to 9/11. the original design wopuld have been just as structurally sound as any other tower downtown, but because it LOOKED unstable, the developers thought it was wiser to go in a more traditional design direction amid the terrorism paranoia of the WTC disaster.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 4:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
epic.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 8:03 PM

This design would only look good if it were a good 15-20 stories taller. The contrast of the base's massing versus the portion above the cantilever looks very strange. I know it's eye-catching and daring, but why does that make this a good design? It's not strange in a good way, it's far too incohesive to come off as daring in the practical sense of marrying function with innovative design. Just my opinion, but I also understand why some people like it.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 8:10 PM

Sorry if I missed this discussion, but why wouldn't they stick with the original design, even if it is shortened?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 8:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Sorry if I missed this discussion, but why wouldn't they stick with the original design, even if it is shortened?
Read the previous page please. I just went over this.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 8:16 PM
The City

Quote:
^ This ain't your grampa's Chicago any more.

That's the kind of message this city needs to be sending to the world.

I realize that one building alone is not enough to send that message, but it's at a very prominent site and it sure is a great start!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 1:16 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ even if the cantilever were an ABSOLUTE engineering necessity, i think sam's concern is that the developers might still drive a design that masks the cantilever with architectural falsework to allay potential tenants' fears that the building will snap in half because it looks intrinsically unstable to the untrained eye as it is currently designed.

sam's concern is not without precedent, as we all saw what happened to the stunning and daring original design for 111 south wacker prior to 9/11. the original design wopuld have been just as structurally sound as any other tower downtown, but because it LOOKED unstable, the developers thought it was wiser to go in a more traditional design direction amid the terrorism paranoia of the WTC disaster.

Actually, I was thinking mainly that such a cantilever likely isn't the lone solution to the problem (I'm certainly not an engineer, but they're generally pretty clever folks and very often devise multiple workable solutions to a problem...........or, I could be completely wrong of course). However, you bring up a really good point - another possibility is that the cantilever is the structural solution by choice and/or necessity, but it gets a 'cover-up' treatment for reasons of perceived human psychology and related marketing concerns..........in the end, I'm just really eager to see the final design here!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 4:49 PM
BANNED

^^^ My only comment is I've heard multiple times that they NEED to shift the layout of the supports and two massive transfer floors (one tying the existing columns together, the other setting up the new columns) are necessary. This amounts to a cantilever whether the choose to express it or not. Sure they could try to sandwich it all together, but they may as well express it since (from what I've heard) it's barely any more expensive just to express it and add to the marketing value of the property (and perhaps higher rents).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive