HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 3:36 PM

Was anybody able to get a pic of what easpoint is going to look like when fully complete yet?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I think its 2000 posts before its reset.
Dang, you were right lol

Oh well.

As for East Point, if you look at the model in front of Norm here, you can see some of it. Only 3 of those buildings are there now, and there are at least 7 in this model (many of which are located where there is currently a large mass of hill which is going to be leveled).

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 4:08 PM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I think its 2000 posts before its reset.
Dang, you were right lol
Why don't they just drop the first 1000 posts once 2000 is reached to give some continuity?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 9:29 PM

The post limit is actually 10,000 it was upped earlier this year.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 6:23 AM
Unregistered Loser

Developments

Best Western:

Hampton Inn:

East Point

King Street renos: (Part of Centrebeam?)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 8:24 PM
Unregistered Loser

City skateboarders ‘are going to be ecstatic’

Sandra Davis
Telegraph-Journal
Published Tuesday September 25th, 2007
Appeared on page C3

SAINT JOHN - Rippers (really good skaters) and novices alike will be "stoked" when they see detailed plans of a half-million-dollar skateboard park on Wednesday night, predicts the chairman of the Fundy Skateboard Association.

"I think the kids are going to be ecstatic," says Jason MacLean.

"I think it's going to be a slam-dunk."

On Wednesday at 7 p.m., a public information session on the Saint John Skatepark will be held in the New Brunswick Museum's Mary Oland Theatre.

McLean doesn't want to reveal too much about the plan, by New Line Skateparks, because he wants the skaters to get the first peek but says it's one of the nicest designs he's seen on paper.

"I love that it respects the flow and the nature of the uptown," he said.

The park is broken up into various trick pieces with additions like "skateable art" keeping things interesting.

"It's just a beautiful piece of landscape, but it also maintains certain historic details, like brickwork."

First and foremost, said MacLean, the skaters will have to like what they see. "In my opinion, they'll give it a unanimous thumbs up," he said.

The 1,300-square-metre skatepark, which will sit under the viaduct between Harbour Passage and Harbour Station, will be open by early summer.

Accessibility to uptown and its vicinity to three high schools adds to the park's attraction, MacLean has said.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 10:46 PM

Someone knows whats going on with the waterfront project ?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 2:52 PM

Park will be unique

Telegraph-Journal
Published Thursday September 27th, 2007
Appeared on page C1

SAINT JOHN - It's been a long time coming, but skateboarders got their first glimpse of the Port City's new skateboard park Wednesday night at the Mary Oland Theatre.
Advertisement

"It's been a long process and I'm sure the kids are tired of hearing about it," said Jason MacLean, the driving force behind the project.

Standing under the viaduct, MacLean and designer and contractor Kyle Dion of New Line Skateparks surveyed what is now a parking lot, but will next year be full of skaters grinding axles and flipping boards.

"We want their buy in," MacLean said Wednesday afternoon.

The park will have some 30 elements to entertain area skaters, but the ramps that were planned around the concrete viaduct supports have been removed because of sewer, water, gas and other utility lines in the area. The utilities snaking every which way just metres below the surface have complicated the design and meant digging must be limited. The design must also accommodate maintenance vehicles that require access to the underside of the viaduct. "So it really forced us to go in a certain direction."

"The major challenge on this site is every kind utility you can imagine is running through the site in all different directions," said Dion.

The 1,300-square-metre skatepark, which will sit under the viaduct between Harbour Passage and Harbour Station, will open by early summer.

The price tag for the park will hover around $500,000 with major donations coming from the province, corporate donors and the city.

"We really have to give a lot of credit to this council for being supportive of this project," MacLean said. "The political will was there."

To the uninitiated, the park will resemble some haphazardly placed concrete steps, rails and half-finished pipes, but to skateboarders the park will be a concrete wonderland that resembles the elements of any city that skaters love to ride over and on.

Sgt. Jim Flemming of the Saint John Police Force and a booster of the park said it shows a commitment and investment in area youth.

"Most of these kids are just trying to have fun," Flemming said. "The problem is there's no place to go."

Dion said there may be constraints, but the Saint John park is unique and will stand out because its located in the uptown core and not hidden in a suburban or industrial wasteland.

"Its context is amazing," Dion said. "So it really has a very, very unique sense of place. It's going to scream 'this is the Saint John Skatepark.'"

Using red brick and the like, Dion said they will tie the park into the city's heritage architecture.

"We want to bring some of that flavour into the park here," Dion said. "We're not going to be all things to everybody, but (we'll) just try to create a really unique skateboarding space within the city and hopefully it's just sort of a catalyst to more."

The park may not be the largest, but Dion said it will be one of the most unique in the country.

"It will never get boring."
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Council to get vision goals, statement by end of October

John Mazerolle
Telegraph-Journal
Appeared on page C3

SAINT JOHN - Deputy city manager Andrew Beckett says common council will likely be presented with a completed vision statement for the city by the end of October, along with eight to 10 goals that will have come directly from the public.
Advertisement

"The notion of participatory democracy only works if people actually participate," Beckett told a crowd of about 100 Saint Johners, as they wrapped up a day-and-a-half workshop called "Shaping the vision - a community conversation."

The crowd - which included some council members, city staff, community leaders, high school students and average citizens - had the opportunity to take two steps forward in the city's process of changing the way it's run: They got a first crack at refining the city's first-draft vision statement, and they created the first draft of eight goals for council that will flow out of that vision.

The vision has been hailed by city staff and common council members as a key step needed to make city business and services more efficient, effective and sustainable. Other ongoing city projects such as governance changes, service profiles and an urban plan for the South End will feed directly off the vision of the public, city staff have said.

The goals, meanwhile, will be made part of a sustainability plan, as well as four-year action plans.

Beckett and Mike Schulze, the head of the citizen's committee that has been interacting with the public since April, say the next step is to refine both the vision statement and the goals. Beckett said there will be two or three focus groups asking people what they think of the second draft of the vision.

The first draft was a six-paragraph statement that touched on civic pride, history, the environment, waterfront, neighbourhoods, good governance, education, diversity, culture, and health and safety.

Schulze said the original statement was drawn up using a number of sources, including the 3,000 responses his committee received during its outreach campaign, the already existing True Growth and waterfront strategies, and the Telegraph-Journal's CityThink surveys.

Beckett said the draft statement's closing sentence - "Our Saint John is where life is on our terms-" purposefully echoed the slogan that grew out of the True Growth strategy to show that the current process, dubbed Vision 2015, is not meant to wipe out everything that came before.

That last sentence will likely change anyway, Schulze said, based on the feedback they received during the workshop; the entire statement could change substantially, he said.

Schulze said the economy and growth are two factors missing from the vision that may be added based on the feedback so far.

The eight draft goals taken from the workshop were, in order of the priority of the workshop attendees:

1. Create a green spaces plan that will improve existing parks and protect natural environments.

2. Create a public policy that promotes alternative transportation, maximizes efficiency and encourages choices other than cars.

3. Be sure that all construction - whether new or enhancing already existing infrastructure - is sustainable and "of a quality that enhances the image of the city."

4. Capitalize on the potential of local universities and colleges to "reinvent" Saint John as a magnet for innovation, cultural diversity and to address social needs.

5. Make sure neighbourhoods are adequately served by facilities (community centres, sports fields, etc.) and that those facilities have programs for people of all ages.

6. Improve the uptown in a way that expresses the best of the city's history, its "vibrant at the core" culture, and its potential to be an "urban magnet."

7. (Tie) Ensure that nobody who works full-year, full-time lives in poverty.

7. (Tie) Create and maintain a diverse, flourishing economy.

Many people in attendance seemed energized by the process. Randy Hatfield of the Human Development Council was particularly excited about the poverty goal. "Let's have a pact, an accord, in this community that if you work full-time, full-year, that you shouldn't live in poverty," he said after the workshop.

Julie Assaff, the marketing and communications co-ordinator with the economic development group Uptown Saint John, said she was happy to hear from people who have different backgrounds and points of view.

"I want to join, like, 10 different volunteer groups now," she said.

Kristie-Lynn Smith, a Grade 10 student at Simonds High School, said there are more people in the community ready to help out than the city realizes.

"I actually felt it was very informative, and I didn't fall asleep once, which is a good sign," she said.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wave energy firm makes pitch to set up shop in N.B.

Reid Southwick
Telegraph-Journal
Appeared on page B1

SAINT JOHN - Saint John is in line to be home to the first Canadian manufacturing plant for generating stations that harness the power of ocean waves.

The plant would create roughly 150 high-paying jobs in an industry that is estimated to be worth $12 billion in about 10 years, says Perry Toms, the firm's vice-president of business development for Wave Energy Technologies, a Winnipeg-based firm that has a patent on the technology.

Toms told the Atlantic Canada Power Summit on Wednesday Wave Energy could set up offices in the Port City before the end of the year.

The two-day event saw utility executives, government officials and other leading experts highlight challenges and opportunities facing the Atlantic region and beyond.

Following New Brunswick Energy Minister Jack Keir's keynote address, Toms made an impromptu proposal to grow a Canadian waves-based power generation industry from Saint John.

"We can build a business here that will export some very, very bright Canadian technology to the rest of the world," Toms told the minister in a question and answer session following Keir's speech. "That's about manufacturing, that's about smart jobs; and that's about more than just exploiting a natural resource, but about exploiting an entire industry."

Keir expressed interest in the proposal and welcomed further discussion on the matter. He later told reporters the province would ensure such a project fulfilled the necessary procedures and policy requirements.

Wave Energy Technologies' product has been in development for 17 years. The company is now looking for the best location to open a manufacturing plant and is considering jurisdictions in the Maritimes, Canada's West Coast and the United States.

The company is in the middle of raising $10 million to fund its operations, said Toms, and it expects to grow an organization worth between $600 and $700 million over the next 10 years.

Toms said the technology is designed to complement, and not replace, tidal power technologies. While tidal power harnesses undersea currents, this technology captures the movement of water on or just below the surface of the water to drive a turbine.

Companies in the United States and Europe have been studying waves-based power generation for some time, and the industry is expected to see major growth, said Toms. New Brunswick, meanwhile, has the opportunity to host a made-in-Canada manufacturing plant that can capitalize on the revenues, he said.

Toms said New Brunswick offers good universities, an intelligent workforce and a government that is interested in developing an energy industry, all characteristics that give the province an edge.

If New Brunswick gave Wave Energy Technologies the nod to launch a plant in Saint John, the company would be able to open head offices and begin hiring staff before the end of the year. The company would prepare the product for market until the end of 2009 and would be ready to start manufacturing by the following year.

The plant would create 150 jobs, including designers and engineers, which would last beyond the construction stage.

"This isn't just about construction jobs," said Tons. "This is about a long-term investment in this province and this region."

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Sep 27, 2007 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 5:56 PM

The wave power station really excites me if we are going to move forward with industry this is the type of industry I would like. At least we are getting both sides of the table with oil and tidal.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 11:22 PM

Thumbs up

Let me start by saying hello to everybody. I happened to see some activity behind the CAA building on westmorland road. Any ideas?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 12:24 AM

Welcome to the forum and that is where the Freestanding starbucks will be going.

They will be moving fast hoping to be open before christmas.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 12:33 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
hoping to be open before christmas
Could be true, but I was told February by someone in the company.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 12:43 AM

February sounds alot more reasonable for a freestanding structure without paying out the ass for more labor and higher building demands. Anyway let's hope its open during winter I want to take advantage of that fire place.

The starbucks in the mall has also made me realize we need some more local bakeries they are kind of short in the pasterie section.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seely32 View Post
Welcome to the forum and that is where the Freestanding starbucks will be going.

They will be moving fast hoping to be open before christmas.
Behind CAA is Montanas, and Next to Home Depot is Starbucks

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 5:01 AM
Believer in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
Behind CAA is Montanas, and Next to Home Depot is Starbucks
Montanas - very cool - seems I heard something about them setting up shop in Saint John awhile ago but nothing recently. I also took note where the Indigo footings are being prepared this afternoon when I drove by - not wasting anytime on that project. Westmorland Rd is also being widened more at the very top of the hill (by the Ellerdale intersection). From there down it will be hard to widen and it will need a new coat of ashphalt come spring with the heavy amount of traffic it now endures.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 2:26 PM

shame on me, I had no idea montana's was even coming. Now that I do I wish it was an olive garden.

Is it going directly behind the CAA I know the starbucks hole is getting bigger by the day and I am waiting for some foundation setting.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 2:36 PM

Saint John - Calgary of the East

House prices soar
Real estate: Local realtors posted highest sales in their history last month of nearly $35 million

Dave MacLean
Telegraph-Journal
Published Friday September 28th, 2007
Appeared on page C1

SAINT JOHN - Calgary of the East.
Advertisement

Get used to it.

Yet another strong economic report has led observers to compare Saint John favourably to Calgary.

Royal LePage Real Estate Services reported Thursday that the value of a typical two-storey house in Greater Saint John increased by a whopping 55 per cent - second only to Saskatoon among the 16 cities in the survey - from a year earlier.

The report also noted homes in Fredericton appreciated by 27 per cent over the same period, while Moncton remained virtually unchanged at 4.7 per cent.

"Saint John is considered the energy hub of the East with increased numbers of investors pouring money into the city," said Dave Cochrane, area manager for Royal LePage Atlantic in Saint John. "We're seeing in-migration from the western provinces as people realize the booming job market here, coupled with very affordable housing prices."

In the Saint John/Rothesay market, the price of a standard two-storey home jumped 54.6 per cent to $240,000, year over year, while a detached bungalow jumped by 34 per cent to $189,000 and a standard condo property increased by 10 per cent to 129,000.

Those numbers mirror the statistics provided by the Saint John Real Estate Board, which represents 260 realtors from Sussex to St. Stephen.

A board spokeswoman said the region experienced the highest sales in its history last month.

"Home sales are up 45 per cent since August of last year," said executive officer Angela Beyea. "The total value of home sales recorded by our board through the MLS system in August was $35,879,892. That is definitely a record for us. When we submitted these statistics to the Canadian Real Estate Association, they phoned us back to make sure they were correct."

That figure represents 261 properties changing hands and doesn't include homes sold exclusively, or privately, she added.

There are a number of factors in such a dramatic change, says real estate board president Mary Ann Ketchum.

"There are a couple of things," she said. "It's being driven by a number of factors. One of the clearest issues in my mind would be that we have a very low unemployment rate. It's simple - people are working and when they're working, they're spending money.

"We've got a lot of things going on with the energy sector and a lot of construction going on - retail and otherwise. It's not just talk anymore in Saint John - it's actually happening."

While such a jump can be nice over the short term, Ketchum says it's better for buyers and sellers when the market is less volatile.

"We want a nice, rolling wave as far as our market goes," she said. "We've always had that - it's relatively balanced. We don't get those big peaks and valleys that other markets have."

Mayor Norm McFarlane said the jump can be attributed to the city's development into the region's energy hub, coupled with a low unemployment rate.

"I'm glad to see that the fruits of the last two to three years of bringing economic development to the city are paying off," he said. "The economic reports that we get are proving that was the right thing and I think the energy hub, starting with the LNG, and moving forward with the possibility of a second refinery and (the refurbishment, plus a possible second reactor at) Point Lepreau -all of those things have made people all over look at Saint John.

"When we had an unemployment level of 11 and 12 per cent, there wasn't a whole lot of money to buy homes. Now with an unemployment rate of 4.3 per cent, people have more disposable income - more cash in their pocket because they're working. That's what makes the economy go. And I think this is just the start of it."

The Royal LePage report said the Canadian market appears stronger than the American market at the moment.

"Much like the Canadian dollar, the Canadian housing market is charting its own course, quite independent from the United States and its currency and housing climate," said Royal LePage president and CEO Phil Soper. "The strength of the Canadian dollar, and the fact that the country is adjusting well to its value, will continue to keep interest rates at their existing low-to-moderate levels, boding well for buyers looking to enter the market."

The report adds that Saint John and St. John's, N.L., have become the 'Calgarys of the East' in recent months, as several energy-sector projects gain attention and spur the respective economies.

It goes on to note a possible second oil refinery and new cruise ship terminal as positive developments in the Port City.

"Many people from the western provinces are moving to the area as they realize the booming job market and affordable house prices can provide a great lifestyle."

Nationally, the survey found the average condo price went up 15.7 per cent from a year earlier to $241,818, while two-storey homes increased 13.4 per cent to $407,613 and bungalow prices climbed 14.3 per cent to $340,941.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 2:44 PM

Ou housing is still quite low compared to the US markets. Which is great because there housing market is falling I just hope we dont push it up to much further. As a country we are booming economically and have a 14 billion dollar surplus going towards are debt and we are the best among the G8countries in terms of paying it off and debt percentage. So even if we do get into trouble at least our government can bail us out. The higher prices may drive out some of the crime in the area or widen the gap between the rich and the poor.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 2:53 PM

Found on wikipedia the pollution level is immense.

The Saint John, New Brunswick harbour cleanup is an infrastructure project that will bring an end to the practice of discharging raw sewage into the waterways of Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. The $88 million initiative involves completing a third wastewater treatment plant in east Saint John, and diverting existing outfalls to it through lift or pumping stations[citation needed]. Currently the initiative is awaiting full funding announcements from the municipal, provincial and federal governments.

Saint John currently discharges 16 million litres of raw sewage into its harbour and streams every day[citation needed]. This is equivalent to six Olympic-sized swimming pools every 24 hours. The practice has been going on in Saint John for hundreds of years. Although Saint John is not the only municipality in Canada that dumps untreated wastewater into its environment, it is unique in that its outfalls flow into local streams, forming open sewers that run through the center of the city, thus creating third-world sanitation conditions in Canada’s oldest incorporated city. Canadian Guidelines suggest that waters with counts of greater than 200 fecal coliform bacteria per 100 ml sample are unsafe for human contact (such as wading, swimming, fishing, or swimming of pets)[citation needed]. Marsh Creek (near the geographic center of the city) routinely exceeds 5 million fecal bacteria per 100 ml water sample. Dutchman’s Creek, which is situated across from an elementary school, is several times worse than Marsh Creek in this regard. The human health risks associated with coming into contact with these waters include E. coli, cholera, typhoid, amoebic dysentery, Hepatitis A, and a myriad of other bacterial, fungal and viral contaminants. Saint John's scenic Harbour Passage walking trail adjuncts sewage outfalls in several places that contaminate the harbour with human waste and unsafe for human contact. A recent ACAP-SJ/University of New Brunswick study also found the fish in the waterways are contaminated with components from the raw sewage, making handling them another human health risk. Added to the human health risks are the unsightly personal hygene products (tampons, condoms, toilet paper, etc) that are strewn across the beaches and hang from the vegetation along the shoreline.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random11 View Post
Montanas - very cool - seems I heard something about them setting up shop in Saint John awhile ago but nothing recently. I also took note where the Indigo footings are being prepared this afternoon when I drove by - not wasting anytime on that project. Westmorland Rd is also being widened more at the very top of the hill (by the Ellerdale intersection). From there down it will be hard to widen and it will need a new coat of ashphalt come spring with the heavy amount of traffic it now endures.
I dont think they could widen it withought going into the cemetary or dumping large amount's of gravel on the other side. When they finish paving it should be 2 lanes each way and with retail drive open. I dont think Westmorland will need as much upkeep rothesay avenue will need some major roadwork with the new exit ramp going in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces