HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 5:45 PM

I don't see why they'd build two new rail bridge/tunnels when it's taken so long to replace the old New West bridge.

Based purely on speculation, I'd go with a consolidated railyard in Pitt Meadows/PoCo where there would be lines to Vanterm and Centerm, Richmond through New West, and Deltaport by way of the existing rail bridge at New West until a replacement is built somewhere between it and the Port Mann. (This scenario's probably been mentioned on here before.)

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 7:27 PM

Interesting, thanks!
Hopefully Gateway will accommodate tunnels in the Cape Horn area.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 11:58 PM

From the Leader:

Quote:
Surrey North Delta Leader
New tolled Pattullo to be built

By Jeff Nagel - Surrey North Delta Leader

Published: July 31, 2008 4:00 PM
Updated: July 31, 2008 4:50 PM TransLink will build a new toll bridge to replace the 71-year-old Pattullo Bridge, the scene of many fatal crashes over the years.

"Our direction will be to build an entirely new bridge and tear the old one down," said TransLink CEO Tom Prendergast.

Staff have been ordered to begin preliminary work.

The cost of the new span – likely approaching $1 billion – must be financed by tolls, board chair Dale Parker said.

"TransLink needs to proceed on the basis of a tolled bridge if it's going to be able to respond with the urgency required to address the problems created by the Pattullo," he said.

TransLink intends to seek partnerships with affected local and senior governments and other stakeholders with an interest in the corridor.

The decision means a permanent solution to the dangers and fears many motorists experience on the Pattullo.

But the wait could be long.

It normally takes 10 years from a decision to a completed bridge.

Parker said he hopes the new bridge can be built faster than that.

The board followed the recommendation of consultants, who concluded it make little financial sense to try to fix the existing bridge and use it in conjunction with a second new span.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 12:02 AM

So much for the Pattullo bridge being the toll-free alternative to the new twinned Port Mann bridge. I guess the Alex Fraser is now going to be classified as the toll-free alternative.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 12:07 AM

BTW, here's the link to the Delcan engineering executive summary:

http://www.translink.bc.ca/files/pdf...mmary_REV2.pdf

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 12:09 AM

Is it true translink announced today approval for building a new bridge?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 12:11 AM

I was looking at the previous page. Disregard previous comment.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 12:14 AM

Just heard the breaking news on Global BC about the new Patullo bridge. Good news.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 1:21 AM

hopefully its fast - in the sense that they can start it going fast

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 2:45 AM
David

just a note, the executive summary lists these alignment possibilities:

1. 50m upstream from rail Bridge
2. current site of rail bridge
3. 50m downstream from Patullo Bridge
4. Sapperton Bar

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 4:41 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

great news! Go Translink Go!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 4:04 PM

Good news. I just glossed over the report briefly, but why do they throw out option 4 so quickly? The current alignment of the bridge is terrible.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 5:35 PM

The Sun and Province both state that Translink is evaluating whether the new Patullo will include a new rail crossing.
Good news!
There has been generally good cooperation between the region, Province and Feds on transportation projects in the region, so my guess is that a funding formula could be worked out (which could lessen Translinks share of the bridge?).

Here's the cover page of the Delcan Report posted by Stingray2004 (note what looks like a lift rail span). Check out the report - it shows potential road connections on each side of the river:

Last edited by officedweller; Aug 1, 2008 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 6:24 PM

It would be nice if the bridge design was something other than a cable-stayed bridge. With the Golden Ears Bridge, New Port Mann, Expo Line Bridge (Skybridge), Alex Fraser & Canada Line Bridge the Fraser River crossings are all beginning to look quite similar. I'm assuming that the price of materials makes cable-stayed bridges the most attractive option for engineers though.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 7:26 PM

The report also mentions a single tower cable-stayed design (225m main span, 160m side span, 80m tower or 180m main span, 125m side span, 65m tower) - a form we don't have yet in the Lower Mainland.
The "tied arch" structure is interesting.
The multi-span extradosed (structure shared by cables from short towers and by girders) bridge design is like the Canada Line and Golden Ears designs (not sure if Pitt River Bridge is extradosed).
My guess, however, is that a single tower design wouldn't work with a combined road-rail bridge.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
It would be nice if the bridge design was something other than a cable-stayed bridge. With the Golden Ears Bridge, New Port Mann, Expo Line Bridge (Skybridge), Alex Fraser & Canada Line Bridge the Fraser River crossings are all beginning to look quite similar. I'm assuming that the price of materials makes cable-stayed bridges the most attractive option for engineers though.
Well don't forget that we're in an earthquake zone, I think those structures are better able to handle a little moving and shaking.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 8:01 PM
See ya down under, mates

How is it the government has a billion dollars to spend on this, but when the older, smaller, more important Lions Gate was falling apart, all they could do was spruce it up a bit?

Seems like people who chose to live out in distant suburbs get preferential treatment by Translink.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 8:03 PM

Of the 3 styles shown on the cover of the report I think I like that "tied-arch" the most. It's shape is the most similar to the current bridge and it offers a bit of variety to what else has been/is being built.

I'm sure all bridge designs can adequately handle earthquakes. I think the cable-stayed bridges can do it with less material though so that's why they're en-vogue right now.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
How is it the government has a billion dollars to spend on this, but when the older, smaller, more important Lions Gate was falling apart, all they could do was spruce it up a bit?
Note that Lions Gate Bridge is a Provincial Highway Bridge - not in Translink's jurisdiction (i.e. not within its power to fix up).
The West End (and the City of Vancouver) did not want added lanes or more traffic coming into downtown Vancouver.
The Vancouver Parks Board did not want encraoachment into the park.
West and North Vancouverites did not want to pay a toll for added lanes.

So each of the proposals that either twinned the Lions Gate or added a double deck or added lanes were rejected and 3 lanes were retained.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Well don't forget that we're in an earthquake zone, I think those structures are better able to handle a little moving and shaking.

Yeah, I recall when the Alex Fraser Bridge was constructed in the mid-1980's BC MoT publicized in the media that the structure would be able to withstand an 8.5 magnitude seismic event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion
Over the longer term, the 2nd Narrows IWM Bridge will be upgraded, perhaps twinned, for both safety and capacity reasons based upon a report prepared by Buckland & Taylor years back:

Quote:
At the same time, we studied widening the bridge to eight lanes to full modern standards, which almost doubles the width, as the current lanes are substandard, and for adding transit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure